Advice from other BFing moms

Hi there, I've got an 11 week old baby that is exclusively breastfed, and I'm considering doing a W30. I've done three before so I more or less know what to expect for myself, I just am a little concerned about keeping up my supply for my baby.

A little background on me: I have hypothyroidism and arthritis in my lumbar spine. I was very concerned about my ability to get pregnant (was 37 when we started trying), so I did a W30 the month we started...and got knocked up immediately. My eating habits deteriorated quite a bit during pregnancy but my weight gain was in normal range. I stopped taking my anti-inflammatory during pregnancy and surprisingly was fine, but the inflammation came back with a vengeance starting about 6 weeks post-partum, so I'm back on the drugs.

Any other BFing moms out there who can share what has worked for them?

I'm doing my first whole30 while breastfeeding my 9 month old. Even before starting the whole30, I was craving large amounts of protein and fats. Most of my meals were based around a big serving of protein. The only thing that seemed to reduce my supply was not eating enough starchy carbs. 

On the whole30 (day 8), I've noticed no reduction in supply. I eat starchy carbs with almost every meal (except breakfast on some days). I also drink a ton of water (90-100 oz most days) and sometimes add coconut water as I find that helps boost my supply. 

I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished and feel like my supply us up, if not what it was when I started. I did eat a lot of starchy carbs throughout the day (lots of sweet potatoes in different forms), 4 full meals, and often a small snack as well. I definitely ate too much fruit, both fresh and dried, but being out and about with a 2 year old and baby made it hard to always have the best food choices/ well rounded meal mid morning. I always have my fridge stocked with some sort of meat I can grab (prosciutto, turkey, chicken breast, or whatever I had made for dinner), guacamole cups I could take on the go, and olives. I realized I need more fat with my meals and I have to keep on top of my water consumption. Adding full fat coconut milk to my coffee was also delicious and some added fat. 

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm only 9 days in but I have not noticed any change in supply. I'm nursing a toddler though, so he's not relying on milk as his only sustenance. 

I allow myself a snack in between meals and like others said, plenty of carbs (fruit, potatoes, squash). I tried keto (extremely low/no carbs) for a hot minute and my supply TANKED. That sucked. So I be sure to eat carbs. 

Of course drinking lots of water and plenty of protein also :) I also take a magnesium supplement because I've noticed low magnesium affects my supply. 

Archived