Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taylor C.

Starting March 1st

Recommended Posts

Hey W30 friends!  Happy day 9!  Love hearing how everyone is doing with their journey - I tend to lurk and not post, so hi!  I had a non-scale victory yesterday...a neighbor who I hadn't seen a lot of lately told me I was looking trimmer, so yay!  This is my second W30 this year...so I know the slimmer appearance isn't just for the past 9 days.  

For those of you struggling with a morning meal, I try to do a hash brown casserole with veggies and half an avocado.  I make up a pan of it on the weekends and then put servings in ziplocs to take to work and nuke in the microwave there.  It's portable and filling and you can change up the veggies each week to make it more exciting.  

@alcazn - A tip someone threw out from my last round for cooking meals for non-participating family was to cook your meat W30 compliant, but then have different sides for the non-W30 eaters.  That has worked well for our family and cut down on the "Sad, I'm missing out" feelings.  For instance, we made some venison taco meat this weekend - hubby and our 2yo son had it as soft tacos with sour cream, cheese, guac, and salsa.  I had it as romaine lettuce taco shells with guac and salsa.  Plus, it is a lot less overwhelming to prepare a non-compliant side dish than an entire non-compliant meal.  Also, while I'm on W30, breakfast for supper with potatoes, eggs, and Aidell's chicken sausage are common meals, especially after a long day at work!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi everyone!  i'm glad i found this forum...i'm sure i'm going to appreciate the encouragement and the comfort of knowing i'm not alone on this journey!

so i also started on march 1st and so far, i feel great!  i have never been much of a cooker, but the meals i've been creating almost have me feeling like a real chef (well kind of).  a few amazing things have happened for me already - a pair of work slacks i couldn't fit two weeks ago now fit...my mom who is a fantastic chef loved a meal i through together with chicken sausage, zucchini and sweet potatoes (one step closer to convincing her to join the whole30 challenge!)...today i'm wearing a belt i haven't worn in a few years...i'm sleeping  peacefully every single night...and i moved up a notch on my apple watch band...yep, lots of non-scale victories for me!  

biggest challenges for me at this point...not getting on the scale and not being able to chew gum.  i used to weigh myself weekly.  gum used to be my go to when i was feeling hungry...and now i just drink more water and find a work task to distract me.   

i'm nervous about day 10 as well, but i was able to get through a weekend out of town and a birthday dinner at tgi fridays that included a homemade rice crispy & cake birthday cake (i'm not a big sweets person, but i love rice crispy treats!!!!) so i know i can get through this weekend as well.  

we've all come to far to turn back now...we got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Leekeetria said:

biggest challenges for me at this point...not getting on the scale and not being able to chew gum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**I'm technology challenged today, it appears. :)

The gum has been a tough one for me.  I am used to having gum or TicTacs while at work.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 9 started off really well for me. I slept pretty well and I didn't even think of weighing myself first thing. I felt good physically all day but I can't seem to get my emotions back in line. One life saver is taking my own compliant dressing with me when I know I am going out to lunch. I can order a salad and leave off the cheese an croutons and have a nice grilled chicken ceaser salad. Tomorrow my two kids come home from college for spring break. In the past that has meant a lot of fast food lunches and processed food dinners. But this time I am going to get them in the kitchen and we are all going to cook healthy meals that everyone will like. I hope that goes well. Either way I know I am going to have to really stick to my plan and not be swayed by what they are eating. Wish me luck. So thankful to have this forum for support. We got this. Who cares if tomorrow is Day 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 10 starting out pretty good for me.  I slept well, ate a good breakfast & have planned the rest of my food day.  I still feel very determined to make it thru the Whole 30.  I have learned so much.  fixed the Salmon patties from the book last night tasted last night & not really sure going like them but when hungry @ lunch hopefully will taste better. Read up on day 10 & 11 last night trying to get prepared.  Fish Friday for lent so going to include not having any fruit today .  I've been eating too much & need to really limit the intake.  Having been on WW & no points for fruit I think I have overdone the fruit for couple years not just Whole 30.  Hope everyone gets thru this weekend on plan.  The support & info from the forums have helped so much.  thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AngieWG said:

I felt good physically all day but I can't seem to get my emotions back in line.

What do your meals look like @AngieWG? Are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg every day? How is your fat intake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!  I'm excited it is Day 10!  A few days ago I did not think I would still be here.  Plus, it's Friday!

I agree with NanP, the forums have helped so much.  I'm so glad we have them.

It's nice to feel some hunger in the morning.  I used to wake up still full from all the sugary treats consumed the previous day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 10, whew  The office is having a potluck today but I feel prepared because I ate breakfast early and I have a very exciting lunch waiting for me in the fridge. I am so grateful to work in a small office with other employees who have food restrictions because they are so supportive and don't ask tons of questions or pressure me.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, cautiously.  Movie date and a family dinner outing. Luckily it's to a steakhouse so I've planned ahead and will be set. I'm a little worried though because I'm scheduled to hit my "lady time" this weekend and I'm hoping it doesn't spike any sugar cravings, bad food cravings or all-around bad mindset this far in. I'm also curious to see if there's any effect on my physical symptoms thanks to the whole30.

1/3 of the way!  Woohoo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, RabbitFood said:

It's nice to feel some hunger in the morning.  I used to wake up still full from all the sugary treats consumed the previous day.  

I agree with it being nice to feel some hunger in the morning.  I realized yesterday that my stomach hurt and it was so bizarre.  Shortly after, my stomach started growling at me.  It has been a while since I have truly "felt hunger".  It's mind-boggling to me that I was on such a schedule before that I would eat whether I was hungry or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrating Day 10 with a WIN!  I have been listening to my office coworkers talk about my meals being so restrictive for the last week or so.  The last few days, they have been ogling my pico and guac.  I made both last night and brought in enough to share.  They LOVE it. :)  I don't think they'll say anything about my lunches any more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kimcdonald said:

Day 10, whew  The office is having a potluck today but I feel prepared because I ate breakfast early and I have a very exciting lunch waiting for me in the fridge. I am so grateful to work in a small office with other employees who have food restrictions because they are so supportive and don't ask tons of questions or pressure me.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, cautiously.  Movie date and a family dinner outing. Luckily it's to a steakhouse so I've planned ahead and will be set. I'm a little worried though because I'm scheduled to hit my "lady time" this weekend and I'm hoping it doesn't spike any sugar cravings, bad food cravings or all-around bad mindset this far in. I'm also curious to see if there's any effect on my physical symptoms thanks to the whole30.

1/3 of the way!  Woohoo! 

It's totally normal to need to eat lots more just before your period starts. I've been known to eat six full meals for a few days before. Up the starchy carbs, add fat, include more protein. All that business the advertisers try to sell us on with chocolate and the word "cravings" is baloney. We actually do need to eat more food before our periods. Go to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a pretty good Day 10! This morning I had a slice of breakfast casserole (using this recipe) & blended coffee (coffee & coconut oil). Lunch was leftovers from dinner last night: Chicken Prosciutto Involtini & cauliflower mash, along with a garden salad (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, & Tessamae's balsamic dressing). I've got a crock pot full of butter chicken filling the house with its aroma, & I'm going to serve it over cauli-rice & steamed spinach. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, angledge said:

I'm having a pretty good Day 10! This morning I had a slice of breakfast casserole (using this recipe) & blended coffee (coffee & coconut oil). Lunch was leftovers from dinner last night: Chicken Prosciutto Involtini & cauliflower mash, along with a garden salad (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, & Tessamae's balsamic dressing). I've got a crock pot full of butter chicken filling the house with its aroma, & I'm going to serve it over cauli-rice & steamed spinach. 

 

Thank you so much for posting the recpie for that butter chicken! I was at a loss for what to make this week but now I know one thing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 11 for all of you!  Yesterday I had my day 10 Celebration with a facial treatment. It was great. My Dinner today was Surf'n Turf with grilled Zucchini and Aubergine. Delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 11!

I think the next typical days are full of cravings.  I've got hot tea if I need it to keep me from snacking.  I'm planning to take a walk if I need it.  Anyone else have plans or tips to overcome cravings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RabbitFood said:

Happy Day 11!

I think the next typical days are full of cravings.  I've got hot tea if I need it to keep me from snacking.  I'm planning to take a walk if I need it.  Anyone else have plans or tips to overcome cravings?

Make sure you're not skimping on fat at your meals, salt your food and drink the recommended 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight... also baths, reading, nail painting, calling a girlfriend, yoga with your cat/dog, organize the junk drawer, wash the windows... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 11! I'm super impressed with myself. We have guests over so my boyfriend ordered pizza for everyone and I made myself some chicken thighs, asparagus, zucchini and mushrooms with red potato mash. As much as the pizza smelt and looked amazing and I reaallly wanted it, I want to finish whole30 more. 19 days to go people, we got this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me in germany it's day 12 already! Today i am going to sweat my Ass off at freeletics with a friend and afterwards i will drive to the barn and train with my horse. So no time for cravings! The weekends are not the problem - work with all my comrades eating chocolate bars and nicnacs and haribo is much harder. What are your plans to keep the weekends full and to not think about Food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jenny85 said:

What are your plans to keep the weekends full and to not think about Food?

I've found that eating enough protein, and even more importantly, eating enough good fat (avocado, I'm talking to you!) keep the cravings away because there is never a twinge of hunger between meals. It took me a long time (this is my third round) to learn this, but I swear by it. Even if I'm doing nothing other than binge-watching or binge-reading, there are no thoughts of binge-eating! 

That said, I'm struggling a bit today (Day 8 for me), not with hunger, but with...something... You know how something can be stuck around the edges of your mind, not quite visible, and just make things feel a bit out of whack? That's where I am. I know I'll figure it out eventually. But until then, it will NOT knock me off my W30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning i did my first freeletics training since the start of Whole30. I thought I will pass out. Honestly. I never felt so weak before and I know what I'm talking about, I am a soldier. But I made it and as I planned it I drove to the barn afterwards to train my horse. So no time for lunch today despite a few blueberries. But that was okay. Felt not hungry at all and had a nice dinner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 12 is going well. I am discombobulated as I always am from Daylight Savings Time. But I got some meal prepping done for this week. I made two shepherd's pies & another breakfast casserole. I'm going to try a few Nom Nom Paleo recipes tomorrow (Cherry Chicken & Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice) & make zuppa Toscana later in the week. The chicken prosciutto involtini I made last week was very good - I am adding that basic recipe (chicken breasts pounded flat, smeared with something delicious, then rolled up, wrapped in prosciutto, & baked) to my rotation. I can think of a bunch of things I want to try as stuffings.  

We had a neighborhood potluck at our house last night & THAT was a challenge. We smoked a brisket as our contribution, which was Whole30-compliant. One guest brought sauteed Brussels sprouts & another brought a potato salad, both of which were compliant. But everyone else brought non-compliant things, including my neighbor who is an amazing baker who brought a spectacular cake. I... really wanted a slice of that cake. But I want to kill my Sugar Dragon even more. It was tough, but I managed to resist. Non-scale victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 12, well definitely having a bit of a snack-ish day but I'm pretty sure that's due to all the physical work I do and being on shark week. I have eaten good meals with lots of fat and protein so I never felt massively hungry just peckish every once in awhile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 8:33 PM, AngieWG said:

Day 9 started off really well for me. I slept pretty well and I didn't even think of weighing myself first thing. I felt good physically all day but I can't seem to get my emotions back in line. One life saver is taking my own compliant dressing with me when I know I am going out to lunch. I can order a salad and leave off the cheese an croutons and have a nice grilled chicken ceaser salad. Tomorrow my two kids come home from college for spring break. In the past that has meant a lot of fast food lunches and processed food dinners. But this time I am going to get them in the kitchen and we are all going to cook healthy meals that everyone will like. I hope that goes well. Either way I know I am going to have to really stick to my plan and not be swayed by what they are eating. Wish me luck. So thankful to have this forum for support. We got this. Who cares if tomorrow is Day 10.

I have avoided going out to eat.  I'm just afraid I will somehow mess up and not have control over it.  I need to just move on.  I think after the official whole 30, even if I stick with eating paleo type foods - I will feel better going out.  Then I won't mind as much if the eggs are made in butter rather than oil, etc.  

On 3/10/2017 at 9:08 AM, NanP said:

Day 10 starting out pretty good for me.  I slept well, ate a good breakfast & have planned the rest of my food day.  I still feel very determined to make it thru the Whole 30.  I have learned so much.  fixed the Salmon patties from the book last night tasted last night & not really sure going like them but when hungry @ lunch hopefully will taste better. Read up on day 10 & 11 last night trying to get prepared.  Fish Friday for lent so going to include not having any fruit today .  I've been eating too much & need to really limit the intake.  Having been on WW & no points for fruit I think I have overdone the fruit for couple years not just Whole 30.  Hope everyone gets thru this weekend on plan.  The support & info from the forums have helped so much.  thanks 

I am also a WW (was?) - lifetime not at goal, and I agree about the fruit.  I never really completely overate fruit, but definitely more than I've eaten on this plan.  I am trying to limit it (still eat it) and see if it helps me get rid of some of the sugar cravings I struggle so much with. 

On 3/10/2017 at 11:07 AM, RabbitFood said:

Good morning!  I'm excited it is Day 10!  A few days ago I did not think I would still be here.  Plus, it's Friday!

I agree with NanP, the forums have helped so much.  I'm so glad we have them.

It's nice to feel some hunger in the morning.  I used to wake up still full from all the sugary treats consumed the previous day.  

I agree about the hunger in the morning.  Even when I was eating healthy I didn't always get hungry in the morning.  And particularly not in the past year with my awful food choices!

On 3/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, KnykytaS said:

Day 11! I'm super impressed with myself. We have guests over so my boyfriend ordered pizza for everyone and I made myself some chicken thighs, asparagus, zucchini and mushrooms with red potato mash. As much as the pizza smelt and looked amazing and I reaallly wanted it, I want to finish whole30 more. 19 days to go people, we got this!!

You may be my hero for the day.  Pizza is the one thing (well good pizza - not the Little Ceasars my husband brings home) that I really do miss a bit.  And I didn't eat it often before!  I just really like it. 

 

I haven't been on the boards much lately - probably because it's a pain from my home and I never turn on my computer at home.  So when I'm at work and have a free moment - that's my time to get on here.  I do like the support of this board and the fb groups.  I'm not sure I'd still be successful without the support as nobody at home is eating this way.  Overall I'm still in that phase where I absolutely know this is a healthier way of eating and have seen some benefits, but still wonder about the "after".  I know I should not want the junk that led me here, but a small part of me still does.  And for some things it's a larger part.  The good (?) news is I'm only on day 13, so I do still have time to prepare.  I just don't know where that line will be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KnykytaS said:

Day 12, well definitely having a bit of a snack-ish day but I'm pretty sure that's due to all the physical work I do and being on shark week. I have eaten good meals with lots of fat and protein so I never felt massively hungry just peckish every once in awhile.  

What snacks are you snacking upon? I mean,  I know we're trying to eat solid meals but I still like to have GOOD snacks available if I need 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites