Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

13 hours ago, AngieWG said:

My daughter likes to bake so she made cookies the other day. Major NSV to ignore the cookies while everyone else is enjoying them. I have to do this a lot so it is getting easier but it would be great if the temptation wasn't there at all.

It would be great if the temptation wasn't there but I feel like you get a double NSV with the temptation around.  It's almost easy or cheating if the temptation wasn't there.  The fact that you chose not to end your reset is HUGE!

1 hour ago, alcazn said:

This is my first round...and I am going to try to make it through Lent.  So far, so good.  

You are doing great!  With your 

21 hours ago, alcazn said:

Sugar may just be your contraband. ;)  I'll be interested to see if it's "all that" once you are able to have it again...or if it loses it's appeal.  The thought of meeting your Whole30 goal should should help alleviate any temptation.  You can do this.  

Thank you for the encouragement!  I may want to give up and eat chocolate.  But, you are right, the thought of making it 30 days helps me chose not to eat the sugar.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Gracie24 said:

Hello all, I am on day 4.  Experienced my first issue today - very urgent diarrhea about an hour after breakfast.  My pre-Whole30 morning meal was a pumpkin flax cereal.  I was too afraid to eat lunch because I was at work.  Could this just be my body adjusting?  Previously if I had any issue it would be constipation.  My previous diet included plenty of grains, rice, etc.  Help!  Other than this, although it has only been 4 days, I feel great!

Yes, it could just be your body adjusting.  Hang in there.

On 3/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, Leekeetria said:

last sunday i prepped a lot of food last week...this sunday i didn't do anything.  i will be heading to the store tonight after work because the prepping helped a lot!  without proper planning i know i'm setting myself up for failure...and failure is not an option!

Good on ya! I also find myself reading labels more and then if I find things I can toss together that are compliant (veggie noodles, compliant crushed tomatoes, ground meats that I can cook up quick), I have a fast emergency meal at the ready. Always good to be prepared!

Happy St. Patty's Day (and Friday)! Although I love corned beef and cabbage, I'm not indulging this year until I can cook up one that's compliant on my own! So, as it's also Friday and I grew up with fish fries, I'm going back to Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed 2 and trying her "West African Chicken Stew" but subbing in white fish (for me, cod), as she suggests at the end. I can't wait, as my husband, mother and I gobbled up the original recipe, and I'm sure this will be a mighty tasty (and comforting) way to end a busy week! 

How are you celebrating St. Patty's Day? 

@Mountain Girl as alcazn said CONGRATULATIONS!  a half marathon (and maybe a full) is on my bucket list but i haven't made much progress in that area yet.  and thanks for the book recommendation...i am definitely going to check that out.  i'm definitely no fitness expert, but i would think it would be extremely tough to push your body through that experience without the right and enough carbs.  perhaps you can do W30 when you're not training and return to it once training and the event is complete. 

happy friday and st patty's day!  i am happy to report that the tiger blood has officially surfaced so while i don't have any official plans, i might just have to go out because i feel like dancing!  i felt great heading to my crossfit class (i'm not a morning person at all...even my bf noticed the great mood i was in!), i finished the horrible WOD (after the time cap, but i still finished!) and walked into work almost dancing (that has NEVER happened!)  i was like what is coming over me and then it hit me LOL.  

anyway, have fun celebrating (compliantly of course), enjoy the weekend and after this one only one more weekend to go!  day 31 will be here before we know it!

On 3/14/2017 at 1:00 PM, hchc said:

Thank you for everyone who is posting.  I was having a hard day and numerous weak moments a few days back.  I tried to reach out to my husband and friend by phone and no one was available.  I turned to this forum and after reading a few posts I was able to gather the strength I needed to stay strong.  We will be finishing week two tomorrow.  YAY, halfway.  I have a couple of social functions under my belt with one more big one coming before the end of the month but I am no longer concerned.  Some of our dinner conversations are focusing on what changes we can see ourselves making to our diet when the Month is over.  On another note, I put my toaster away.  It normally sits on the cupboard but I realized I have no need for it so out of the way it went.  This made more room for my InstantPot, which has not been in the cupboard since I started this.  Happy Pi Day!

On 3/14/2017 at 3:49 PM, Jenny85 said:

Tomorrow half of the time is already over! Thats amazing how quick it became a normal Lifestyle for me. I have  no cravings, just my Scale is waiting for me every morning 

On 3/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, RabbitFood said:

Happy Day 15!  Two weeks in the books!

@alcazn #NSV learning that potatoes make you feel less than stellar.  Someone should open a Whole30-inspired cafe/restaurant/food chain.  Something that combines need for a quick meal/takeout with the need for real food.  That way you could get some takeout that is actually real food and with options that don't make you sluggish.

@Jenny85 Congrats on no cravings!  I can't wait to be there.   

@hchc I'm interested in hearing about your thoughts on the instantpot, too :)

Working on my perspective this week.  I know that avoiding sugar and processed foods are good for us.  And I've increased fat, protein, and vegetables in every meal.  However, mentally, I continue to count the days until I can eat sugar.  I don't think it's a craving, I think (but don't know) it's more of a comfort.  I am trying to change my perspective from "I want chocolate" to "I want to relax", "I want to complete this report", or "I want some cuddle time".  I really am trying - writing my thoughts down, taking time at lunch to review the Hartwig books, reflecting on my feelings for chocolate.  Yet, I still want it.  And I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to eat it.  

On another note, has anyone found any statistics on Whole30?  How fun would it be to see the % of people who start and complete the Whole30?!  Or the % of people that don't last the 30 days?  Obviously, no one would have an exact number but Whole30 peeps could send an email with a short survey to everyone they do have contacts for, post a link for the survey on the Whole30 site, etc. . . . .  

I'm with you on the sugar - it's been hard to imagine how I will handle it after.  I'm thinking of doing another round to give me more time to get ready ;)

On 3/16/2017 at 5:46 AM, Jenny85 said:

I celebrated day 15 with a nice round of Nordic Walking with my comrade. Walked a bit more than 7 km in 1 hour. Thats fine for me. Day 16 started for me with a freeletics workout. I feel really well at the Moment. But I am really scared now that the scale will show no significant changes at day 30. As a soldier, I have to loose weight. and I am going back to Afghanistan in July. I want to loose as much weight as I can in a healthy way until the flight. In Afghanistan I have no possibility to eat like I do now. I have to eat what the kitchen gives me...

Thank you for your service as well!  I've always wondered about the food thing with soldiers (or those who travel and have no control).  Though my gut has been a million times better since I started Whole30 I've avoided going to different situation that I had no control over the foods b/c the impact is so unpleasant sometimes.  Even on vacation, when most people gain their weight, I never do b/c I stick to very basic foods.  I can't (couldn't) eat anything dairy related, greasy, cream based, or anything labeled "rich" when away from home and my bathroom :)  I hope you make the weight you want, and good luck when you go back!  

On 3/16/2017 at 9:29 AM, Mountain Girl said:

Now for the therapy' I will try not to ramble. I ran my first half marathon on Saturday and it KICKED MY BUTT. I was a full 21 minutes off my goal time. I know they say not to do something like that in the first two weeks of a whole 30, BUT I really didn't see it that way. My first whole 30 was 1/16-2/14. I only added a little stevia to my coffee for the first 4 days. Then we went to Paris, and I pretty much introduced everything for 5 days. Came back, and other than the stevia was compliant until I started with you guys on 3/1. (My goal being to do a whole lent and follow with a proper reintroduce...slowly) My second was nothing like my first in terms of cravings or difficulty.  I honestly felt great within the first 4 days, but I like journeying with others (and getting recipe ideas):rolleyes:  So, I thought I would be fine doing this race. I DID make sure to have a fist sized serving of fruit for breakfast and starchy veggies at lunch AND dinner everyday the week leading up to the race. So here are my questions:

Was it foolish? Should I always return to rice and beans and whole grains pre race?  I struggle sometimes with the concept of whole30 because I always resist quick fixes. I don't diet. I DO make healthy lifestyle changes. So I do whole 30 with a constant eye on how this looks post whole 30. I know it's not meant to be a whole365, but I also know that the changes we see during can't last if you just go back to your old eating habits. So what does a post whole30 life look like? And will I ever have the energy to truly CONQUER a half marathon while eating this way?  Because I never really felt the tiger blood in round one.  I felt pretty good a few days into round two...but not near enough to get me through my race.  

Im sorry to be a Debby Downer.  I'm just so frustrated with my performance.  But I really think there's something to this whole 30 stuff.  I lost 14 pounds in round 1! I am just struggling to figure out how whole 30 coexists with endurance training.

I'm really sorry your first half marathon didn't go as planned.  Right now I have gotten horrifically out of shape and can't do what I did before, but when I was racing pretty often I learned - don't change anything right before a race.  The training is by far the most important part of a distance race - it is what gets you through.  So if you were training with a certain fuel and then changed it up before the race - that could be part of it.   

There are definitely a lot of paleo distance runners though so I think it can be done - it just needs to be practiced that way.   The other questions you asked I'm struggling with myself, so I'm not much help (the 30 vs 365).

Also - I'm sorry that the race wasn't what you hoped, but I've learned something in my racing.  I've done 22 half marathons and sometimes you just have a crappy one.  Same with any run.  Sometimes they go awesome - sometimes not.  I'm not sure what training plan you did, but for me - I HAD to have one run over 13 miles (I did 14) in the beginning.  Mentally I just had to.  Do you know when you started feeling badly during the race?

Day 17 - Today has been a challenge - help!  The cravings have been horrid.  I think that it's in part due to the fact that it's "no meat Friday".  I had a huge salad of lettuce, tomato, peppers, and three hard boiled eggs.  Not enough - I just feel like I need "more".  Any ideas?  

6 minutes ago, alcazn said:

Day 17 - Today has been a challenge - help!  The cravings have been horrid.  I think that it's in part due to the fact that it's "no meat Friday".  I had a huge salad of lettuce, tomato, peppers, and three hard boiled eggs.  Not enough - I just feel like I need "more".  Any ideas?  

Eat more. To get enough food in with a salad, you need like a wheelbarrow full (that's a slight exaggeration, but you need a lot). Also, you only had the fat in your eggs. You just need to eat more. Like, not waiting until next meal - make yourself a mini-meal featuring two of the three Whole30 meal components, and if you're still hungry after that, make it a full meal. There's a difference between craving and hungry, and this is it.

Eat up!

I survived.  It wasn't a pretty day, but I survived. :)  I was able to have baked fish at the fish fry tonight.  I planned ahead and took my own non-stick foil to put it on for the oven.  It was delish.  I hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day! :)

Day 17 Wahoo!! 

Well I keep hoping I'll wake up with some tigers blood but that hasn't happened yet. I have noticed my knees don't hurt unless I'm like constantly getting up and down and my face is thinner. I don't really have cravings anymore and if I do they don't last long. I'm fairly satisfied with my three meals a day just hating all the dishes (no dishwasher). 

All in all I'm still thrilled with my results and enjoy eating healthy. None of my meals are ever boring. :D

Day 18 for me already! Yesterday I felt a bit bloated. But I made the best Whole30 sheperds pie ever in the evening! Amazing how much I enjoy my healthy food now. Today I have a date. We go to the movies. A new experience - movies without popcorn.....

@Jenny85 I also did a shepherd's pie for st. pattys! it was very tasty, and even the traditional (picky) eaters in my family liked it!  how did the movie with no popcorn go? I sadly turned down a movie invitation from my sister for that very reason :(

Happy day 18 everyone! I hope you are all seeing some benefits!

7 hours ago, appalachiangiraffe said:

@Jenny85 I also did a shepherd's pie for st. pattys! it was very tasty, and even the traditional (picky) eaters in my family liked it!  how did the movie with no popcorn go? I sadly turned down a movie invitation from my sister for that very reason :(

Happy day 18 everyone! I hope you are all seeing some benefits!

It was weird. The sugar smell in the Cinema made feel like I have to throw up every minute. So disgusting sweet. I brought some cold green tea with me that helped me get over the feeling. Afterwards we went to a restaurant and I had a very delicious lamb kebab with fresh salad. Yummy. 

@angledge i made the butter chicken...but i have to say it looked a bit more delicious than it turned out to be.  i don't know if i used the coconut milk with less fat or what, but it wasn't what i expected. :(  nevertheless, i made it so i'm eating it!  i am definitely not letting it go to waste!

i am excited to try the shephard's pie and the salmon cakes...hopefully i have better luck with those since most have commented that they are really good!

@Jenny85 - good for making it thru the movie with no popcorn!  @appalachiangiraffe i'm with you ... i've turned down a few movie invites.  while i was prepared with nuts and tea, i didn't know if i was really going to be able to resist.  thank goodness the bf bought tickets for the wrong movie theater and our theater was already sold out.  crisis averted.  

this plan has opened my eyes to how much we eat/snack even when we're not hungry and that it's not that difficult to say no to things you think you're addicted to!  i went to red robin and resisted fries, a friend's birthday party and resisted cake, tons of other sweets, alcohol and even pizza!  had i not been on this eating plan, i would've eaten it all...and had nothing to show for it except a bigger waistline!

Just now, alcazn said:

I wonder if there is such a thing as too many tomatoes?  It seems like I am eating tomato everything.  I like them, but I wonder if there's a limit?

Do you have bright red ring around your lips? You know, the skin torn up kind of red.   My sister ate them like that, ketchup, too.  She has a tomato allergy. Come to find out, some of things that we cannot leave alone we are actually allergic to them.  I'm the same way with corn syrup.  I was eating it morning, noon and night.  Huge allergy. 

2 hours ago, Leekeetria said:

this plan has opened my eyes to how much we eat/snack even when we're not hungry and that it's not that difficult to say no to things you think you're addicted to!  i went to red robin and resisted fries, a friend's birthday party and resisted cake, tons of other sweets, alcohol and even pizza!  had i not been on this eating plan, i would've eaten it all...and had nothing to show for it except a bigger waistline!

Good job not consuming the potentially unhealthy food!  I, too, have realized how much I eat when not hungry.  Yet, for some reason, I still want to.  I had to do tea after breakfast and lunch today to avoid the chocolate.  

I'm so excited it's Day 20!  Maybe I shouldn't be counting?  It feels waaay more likely that I can complete the 30 days since there are only 10 days left.  It's just 10 days, only one weekend.  

NSV that I don't really want to admit:  My husband complemented my complexion this morning!  My Whole30 goal is clear, radiant skin and I guess it's working.  I don't want to admit it though because I was counting down the days until I would choose to eat chocolate again.  Sigh.  I may have to rethink that choice and give up chocolate . . . 

I have been having a good time of it in this plan. No real issues, though maybe I have a little too much reliance on almond butter and date balls. It is easy for me to just follow the rules, I get into so much trouble giving myself the choice of grains, alcohol and sugar (I really think those are my big three problem indulgences --I'll see for sure in another month!). However....

what I hate are the social problems with eating this way. I have to say "no" to people all the time, which a lot of people don't take very happily. And my Father-in-law immediately labeled me "the dinner problem" since we often eat together, sometimes when he cooks. For the record, I never asked him to cook Whole30 for me, I am happy to just "eat around his cooking" and told him he he shouldn't worry about it. However, he's taken it upon himself to make sure meals work for me, which is so kind and I appreciate it. But now, he or my mother–in-law makes some kind of comment or another about my "diet" at every meal we're together. It's nothing outwardly critical, just questions, but I just don't want to talk about it. Somehow I feel like it's rude for anyone--even me--to talk about my eating habits so much. I guess I just don't like what I think is undue attention toward me. I try to remind him it's temporary and then change the subject, but I know some of this WON'T be temporary, I like it too much! I feel judged and a little resentful that it's not acceptable to actually choose what I eat. This Whole30 THING I've gotten myself into is good for me physically and mentally, but bad for my social life. 

So, do I just need a thicker skin? Does anyone else feel this way around others? I think I'm too private of a person, maybe.

2 minutes ago, Poetry Saves said:

date balls

Yeah, these are no bueno - even if the ingredients are compliant.... they're too much like a dessert (SWYPO) & REALLY easy to over-indulge on. dates are higher in sugar than many candy bars...

• Moderators
On 3/16/2017 at 8:29 AM, Mountain Girl said:

Now for the therapy' I will try not to ramble. I ran my first half marathon on Saturday and it KICKED MY BUTT. I was a full 21 minutes off my goal time. I know they say not to do something like that in the first two weeks of a whole 30, BUT I really didn't see it that way. My first whole 30 was 1/16-2/14. I only added a little stevia to my coffee for the first 4 days. Then we went to Paris, and I pretty much introduced everything for 5 days. Came back, and other than the stevia was compliant until I started with you guys on 3/1. (My goal being to do a whole lent and follow with a proper reintroduce...slowly) My second was nothing like my first in terms of cravings or difficulty.  I honestly felt great within the first 4 days, but I like journeying with others (and getting recipe ideas):rolleyes:  So, I thought I would be fine doing this race. I DID make sure to have a fist sized serving of fruit for breakfast and starchy veggies at lunch AND dinner everyday the week leading up to the race. So here are my questions:

Was it foolish? Should I always return to rice and beans and whole grains pre race?  I struggle sometimes with the concept of whole30 because I always resist quick fixes. I don't diet. I DO make healthy lifestyle changes. So I do whole 30 with a constant eye on how this looks post whole 30. I know it's not meant to be a whole365, but I also know that the changes we see during can't last if you just go back to your old eating habits. So what does a post whole30 life look like? And will I ever have the energy to truly CONQUER a half marathon while eating this way?  Because I never really felt the tiger blood in round one.  I felt pretty good a few days into round two...but not near enough to get me through my race.  

Im sorry to be a Debby Downer.  I'm just so frustrated with my performance.  But I really think there's something to this whole 30 stuff.  I lost 14 pounds in round 1! I am just struggling to figure out how whole 30 coexists with endurance training.

I'm not a runner, but I know that people can successfully fuel runs on a paleo/Whole30 diet, it just takes some extra work and research on your part to figure out what to do. If you google Whole30 marathon or Whole30 distance running you'll probably find past discussions. This blog may have some helpful information: http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com/2013/05/ultrarunning-and-fueling-on-whole30.html  and check out the Whole30 for athletes section here in the forum: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/  If you don't find your questions already addressed there, start a new discussion and ask -- it would probably be helpful if you do this to list what you're eating for typical meals and for pre- and post-wo meals.

Eek!  Trying not to panic.  I just overheard my boss say that he is bringing in lunch for our department.  Hopefully, we will get to order ahead of time and I can see what my options are.  I brought my lunch, so I am covered either way, but there are only six of us, so it'll be VERY noticeable.  Eek, eek, eek.....

Edited to add: Just found out it's Famous Dave's.  Going to peruse their menu...

R1D22. Really glad this is almost over. Still waking up every night/day at 4 in the morning, not really even being hungry, just can't sleep. I made 8 cups of homemade chicken stock last night and then let it cool outside the fridge for too long so now they have to be thrown out. I'm still constipated even after eating plenty of broccoli, kale, etc. 

Archived