Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

6 hours ago, Nancy Crabtree said:

I am total newbie to the Whole30 program although I have been eating pretty healthy about 70% of the time for several years now.  At one point I lost 90 pounds, but gained back about 30 and have been pretty steady since no matter what I tried to do to lose the last 30 pounds again.  I am a recovered binge eater and just recently started having some digestive issues which is the main reason I am doing the Whole30.  I want to determine what food sensitivities I may have and focus on eating for health and not weight loss anymore.

I just finished reading the Whole30 book earlier this week and have been cleaning out my kitchen.  Today I am meal planning for the week and will do shopping tomorrow and prep Monday and Tuesdays.  For years I have always done meal planning for the following week on Fridays, food shopping on SAturdays, and meal prep and portioning on Sundays.  Having my meals ready-to-go really helps me to stick to a healthy meal plan.

My biggest obstacle for the Whole30 is going to be giving up the grains and added sugars.  Plus, I am not much of a veggie eater.  Because I know i will have a hard time eating a lot of 'plain' veggies I ordered some Whole30 approved sauces from : http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

These should help not only with 'seasoning' veggies and salads but giving me some toppings for my meats instead of having just plain baked/grilled.  I also ordered some Ghee and avocado mayo along with some coconut flour and milk because I have seen a lot of Whole30 recipes that use these ingredients. 

I figure the more taste I can give to my foods and the more variety of recipes I can make the more likely I am to stick to the program for a full 30 days.

I will try to check this forum daily for support but am really better with Facebook.  Anyone want to be in a private FB group for the month?  I find that platform easier to use than an online forum like this.

I'd love a FB group! 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Nancy Crabtree said:

I will try to check this forum daily for support but am really better with Facebook.  Anyone want to be in a private FB group for the month?  I find that platform easier to use than an online forum like this.

I'd be up for a fb group as well!

Hello everyone! I am excited to see such a great group for the March 1start. I will be starting on March 1 as well. This will be my second Whole30. I have a couple of work friends who will try their first Whole30!with me. Depending on how it goes I might do the WholeLent. My first Whole30 was a year ago and super successful, I changed my eating habits and overall how I think about food, I feel better and I lost 20lbs. However, lately I have started slipping back to some old habits so its time to get back on track.

My challenges include living overseas in a small country in Europe therefore access to some food products is limited and I have two kids and a husband who are not doing the Whole30 and will want me to preapare some of their favorite meals❣️ The first time I did the Whole30 the forum really helped, the support of my fellow Whole30iers was a lifesaver!

I am 6-8 hours behind because of my geography so I apologize in advance for the late night / early morning posts!

We are also starting March 1st: myself, my husband, and our two teenage daughters.

I've done a 21 day keto detox before, my joints were aching by day 15 (not sure why) but otherwise it agreed with me completely.

We're all looking to reset our metabolism and figure out after the 30 days which foods make us feel ugh so we can avoid/eliminate them.

We're in South Africa but I don't think that's going to hold us back so much. It's a very food healthy country I think.

My challenge is going to be trying to make our usual South African Indian foods in a more healthy way, as well as getting my picky family to be more adventurous in trying new foods. We'll see how it goes....

Count me in on the Whole Lent as well! March is a tough month here in Maine. Spring still feels so far away and we all have cabin fever. I appreciate having a mindset geared towards healing and happiness during this time, preparing for the symbolic and literal new life that will be coming in April.  

My last W30 ended not too long ago (Feb. 20) but I feel like I still have some disordered eating tendencies. For example, this week I bought a bag of potato chips cooked in avocado oil and ate the ENTIRE BAG on autopilot! That's six servings! I'm not beating myself up over it but I do intend to really look at bringing more mindfulness into my relationship with food. I haven't found anything that works as well as W30 at bringing me some peace around food. 

Hi Everyone..... I am starting on March 1st as well!  Beginning to panic because I feel so unprepared.  I am not sure if I should re-read the book, get the cookbook or what! I'm super overwhelmed and anxious. I would love some support and feedback from those of you who are much more prepared than I am! 

Thanks a bunch... Oh, and if you do start a facebook group I would be honored to join.

Going to clean out a cabinet for myself. My dear daughter isn't joining me for the first round.

Thanks for listening!

~Jacie

1 hour ago, Jacie said:

Hi Everyone..... I am starting on March 1st as well!  Beginning to panic because I feel so unprepared.  I am not sure if I should re-read the book, get the cookbook or what! I'm super overwhelmed and anxious. I would love some support and feedback from those of you who are much more prepared than I am! 

Thanks a bunch... Oh, and if you do start a facebook group I would be honored to join.

Going to clean out a cabinet for myself. My dear daughter isn't joining me for the first round.

Thanks for listening!

~Jacie

Hi Jacie! This will be my second W30, what I learned was to keep it simple! Plan out the first few days of meals, simple wholesome meals. I started with eggs and veggies for breakfast and meat and salad or meat and steamed veggies for lunch and dinner! After the first week, I started feeling more confident and began to use some of the recipes from the book and website. I still prefer the simple meals. Just think of your favorite meal and clean it up to be W30 approved. Just take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself!

Hello! This is my first post on here. I'm also starting March 1st. I'm doing a combined lent whole 30 and just an ...I really need this. 

Im nervous and will not have my family doing this along with me. My husband is supportive but just does not want to participate. 

I also think a Facebook group would be great!

4 hours ago, Jacie said:

Thanks for listening!

~Jacie

I'm so overwhelmed too. I just decided to do this yesterday so I am in no way prepared. I bought the book and a few of the seasonings so I'm hoping I can get my shopping done tomorrow. And then prep like crazy before Wednesday in between work and church. Yikes :)

• Moderators
On 2/25/2017 at 2:09 PM, Nancy Crabtree said:

Plus, I am not much of a veggie eater.  Because I know i will have a hard time eating a lot of 'plain' veggies I ordered some Whole30 approved sauces from : http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

These should help not only with 'seasoning' veggies and salads but giving me some toppings for my meats instead of having just plain baked/grilled.  I also ordered some Ghee and avocado mayo along with some coconut flour and milk because I have seen a lot of Whole30 recipes that use these ingredients.

Have you tried roasted vegetables? To me, most vegetables are so much better roasted. Preheat your oven to about 425. Cut up one or more of the following: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red potatoes, brussel sprouts, beets, turnips, rutabaga, parsnips. Toss your vegetables with your choice of oil (if you have bacon grease from compliant bacon, that's a great one to use, but olive oil or coconut oil or lard works), add a generous amount of salt, pepper, and your choice of spices/herbs (chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder are a good combo), and toss to make sure the vegetables all get seasoned. Spread them out on a rimmed baking tray lined with parchment paper or foil, make sure they're in a single layer and try not to get them too close together. Cook for about 25-30 minutes total, until the edges are starting to brown -- stir/flip them at about the 15 minute mark so both sides get done evenly.

You might also look for recipes where the vegetables are mixed in with the protein -- this pad thai, these comfort noodles, or casseroles like this.  

Hi all,

I am also a March 1st start.  Well, actually I'm prepping my meals today and starting tomorrow, but the plan was to start the first.  Nothing like jumping right in.  I'm roasting chicken breast, broccoli and squash to pack for lunches.  

Ive been looking at recipes on Pinterest. Some of them have coconut flour.  Is that acceptable during the reset or are those recipes for down the road?

2 minutes ago, Skimommi said:

Hi all,

I am also a March 1st start.  Well, actually I'm prepping my meals today and starting tomorrow, but the plan was to start the first.  Nothing like jumping right in.  I'm roasting chicken breast, broccoli and squash to pack for lunches.  

Ive been looking at recipes on Pinterest. Some of them have coconut flour.  Is that acceptable during the reset or are those recipes for down the road?

Yes, coconut flour is acceptable. However, make sure that it's not as a treat. You can't have baked goods. 

11 hours ago, Jacie said:

Thanks for listening!

~Jacie

I'm kinda overwhelmed too with meal planning. I work nights and I've been working this weekend, so I haven't had any time to go grocery shopping or plan. I have the next few days off, so hoping to cook a few things ahead of time! 

On 2/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, SarahSchroeder said:

I tried coffee blended with coconut milk & it is really tasty!  Blend until frothy: 1/4 cup coffee with 1/4 cup coconut milk (+ 1tsp cocoa if you want a little extra zing).  Pour it in a mug & fill up the rest of the way with black coffee.  Its like a mocha!

Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

I'm starting March 1.  Had a carb & sugar overload this weekend & Monday am I feel hungover.  I need to change!  Talked to my daughter this am & she has been on for about a week & suggested I try whole30.  Beginning of lent will be a good start date.  Going to need to cleanse my kitchen & attitude tonight.  Go shopping tomorrow & get myself mentally prepared.  

8 minutes ago, Aduks said:

I'm also starting March 1st. I unfortunately wouldn't be able to clean out my fridge etc because I'm the only one in my family going on this program. Hopefully I can stick with it 

That's me too.  My husband will never attempt this plan.  My son would complain but I could drag him along.  My one year old will eat anything except green beans.  So I'm going to be doing this with Doritos, chips, ice cream,etc in the house. 

4 minutes ago, SPeffer said:

That's me too.  My husband will never attempt this plan.  My son would complain but I could drag him along.  My one year old will eat anything except green beans.  So I'm going to be doing this with Doritos, chips, ice cream,etc in the house. 

I am trying that too. I have roommates that are not going on the diet. It will be nice to have others in the same boat. 

I'm also starting March 1st for lent!  I'm very excited.  I'm hoping to go shopping for some staples and I have a few meals already planned.  I'd like to cook those up and freeze them so I have a few go to items.  This month is packed with company coming in but there is never much down time for us and our busy life.  I'm hoping I learn some new and healthy alternatives even when in a rush.  My husband is not doing the Whole30 with me but he isn't opposed to some of the meals I have lined up.  So hopefully his cooperative spirit will be some extra motivation for me.  :) 

Archived