Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

1 hour ago, NanP said:

I'm starting March 1.  Had a carb & sugar overload this weekend & Monday am I feel hungover.  I need to change!  Talked to my daughter this am & she has been on for about a week & suggested I try whole30.  Beginning of lent will be a good start date.  Going to need to cleanse my kitchen & attitude tonight.  Go shopping tomorrow & get myself mentally prepared.  

I am doing the same thing, Nan. I have a 16-year-old daughter who says she will do it with me ~ the only problem is that she goes to her dads house on the weekends... I think there will be a lot of temptation there!!! I am a cross between nervous and excited and definitely need a change! I found ghee and coconut oil today, I ordered some sauces from tessemaes.com yesterday. I have a friend who did the program in November and she gave me the best advice. She told me to keep the first week easy and then start adding new recipes as I go. I was definitely overthinking the whole process. I sent a join request to the Facebook group. I haven't heard back yet. I can definitely use the support. Good luck with the cleaning :)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first W30. I have been experimenting with recipes and slowly giving up sugar and alcohol this past week. I can tell the difference already and, for the most part, it's good (can't wait to slay the Sugar Dragon!). However, I really don't like eating so much meat. I don't seem to digest it as well as I'd like. I guess I'm going to have to focus on the vegetables and fats. Anybody else not like eating a lot of meat?

Thanks for the advice on emergency meals! I had my first run-in today at 4:00 after a long hike and I wanted some quick FOOD. Popcorn was just sitting there...I ate several mouthfuls before I realized I could be eating sardines and leftover potatoes instead! :-) 

Any advice on between meal snacks and getting around the sugar withdrawal would be appreciated.

Hi - I'm also starting March 1st. I've been trying to clean out fridge & pantry. I will miss my sugar in my coffe and my nightly glass of wine but I've been feeling BLAH lately and want to feel better. I hope to chat with all of you on our journey and exchange recipes! Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone!  My husband and I are also starting March 1.  We've been reading the Whole30 book over the past couple of weeks to get prepared.  

We cleaned out the pantry and fridge last night and it was INSANE how much food we had that was non-compliant.  I took two huge bags of food to work to give away to co-workers because I didn't want it to go to waste!  All that was left were some nuts, olive oil, aluminum foil, and ziplock baggies!  LOL!  On the bright side, it was SO refreshing to open the pantry door and be able to see everything!  

We also went shopping last night- we started at Trader Joe's and then went over to Safeway.  There were still a few things we couldn't find (COMPLIANT BACON and deli meat) so we're going to try a natural foods market in Seattle later today.  

I made up a meal plan and grocery list about a week ago and we'll be food prepping today as well.  I used a few recipes from the Whole30 book and also found quite a few from food blogs on Pinterest.  

Love the idea of a Facebook group- I just requested to join! :)  My husband and I are really looking forward to this month!!! 

I am starting tomorrow as well.  I didn't think anyone else would be starting on a Wednesday, but look at this string!  

I just finished my first whole 30 on 2/14 very successfully overall, but went to Paris on day 34 and reintroduction went out the window.  So I am doing the whole lent thing too, so I can do a proper reintro. 

@Saritawho? Hey, girl! Here we go again!

@KnykytaS @Aduks @SPeffer I did my first (and this one too) with a supportive but unparticipating husband and kids.  I DID clean out my fridge and pantry. It was really helpful to only have to read labels once.  I just reorganized and made individual shelves in the pantry and fridge either "compliant" or "non-compliant". And I told my kids to make sure they put stuff back where they found it.  It made avoiding the non compliant stuff easier without depriving them of their favorites. It was also kind of cool when they saw how much they "wanted" from the compliant shelves. 

I will try to join the FB group, too.  It will certainly make it easier to stay in touch when out and about. And easier to get notifications, etc.  But I would encourage everyone to do that and check in here too.  The main thing here, is that moderators check in often ( I see one already has) and they are a WEALTH of information, tips and tricks.  

OK, I've been dithering for days on whether or not I would attempt another WholeLent. I've done it the past two years (successfully in 2015, less so in 2016). But I think I need to give it another try. I really, really, REALLY need to drag my sugar dragon out back behind the woodshed & shoot it. 

I've been easing into Wednesday by eating more-or-less Whole30 for the past week or so, with exceptions. I've got some meals in the freezer & plans for this week. My partner is not going to be joining me on this Whole30 but I'll manage.

For those who are doing this Whole30 as a Lenten practice, I'd like to point out that the 30 days plus all the day of a full reintroduction takes you precisely from Ash Wednesday to Easter. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Girl said:

I am starting tomorrow as well.  I didn't think anyone else would be starting on a Wednesday, but look at this string!  

I just finished my first whole 30 on 2/14 very successfully overall, but went to Paris on day 34 and reintroduction went out the window.  So I am doing the whole lent thing too, so I can do a proper reintro. 

@Saritawho? Hey, girl! Here we go again!

@KnykytaS @Aduks @SPeffer I did my first (and this one too) with a supportive but unparticipating husband and kids.  I DID clean out my fridge and pantry. It was really helpful to only have to read labels once.  I just reorganized and made individual shelves in the pantry and fridge either "compliant" or "non-compliant". And I told my kids to make sure they put stuff back where they found it.  It made avoiding the non compliant stuff easier without depriving them of their favorites. It was also kind of cool when they saw how much they "wanted" from the compliant shelves. 

I will try to join the FB group, too.  It will certainly make it easier to stay in touch when out and about. And easier to get notifications, etc.  But I would encourage everyone to do that and check in here too.  The main thing here, is that moderators check in often ( I see one already has) and they are a WEALTH of information, tips and tricks.  

Mountain Girl - I did go through last night in the pantry and make compliant shelves.  The freezer is easier because I know my fruit, veggies and meat are ok.   My kids are only 6 and 1, so they aren't the real issue, though my son would struggle for sure.  My daughter will eat anything and everything so she would be fine.   By the way - Paris sounds amazing. 

On 2/23/2017 at 8:20 PM, Saritawho? said:

Me too! I am doing a WholeLent. Just finished my first round of W30 on 2/14...saw lots of improvement, loved how I felt and lost just over 10lbs! 

Am hoping to use this round as a springboard to a more W30 approach to eating overall. 

FYI, my (unsolicited) advice is use the next week to get a few emergency meals prepped and stored in the freezer. You WILL have a day that is just insane and having a premade W30 casserole or soup that you just stick in the microwave will save you from (a) breaking your W30 or (b) eating more eggs. Prepping food takes a serious amount of time, especially when you are just starting out. 

Also...a lot of us from my first round were the only ones we knew doing W30, so the forum board was a GREAT source of support, meal ideas, and info gathering when you ran into an issue. 

We can do this! Looking forward to our journey together! 

I'm a  little nervous because I decided pretty late that I wanted to do this.  I have done SOME prep, but I'm definitely not as prepared as I would like to be.  I've got a church class tonight and church tomorrow, but I'm going to spend some time tonight finishing my grocery shopping and then prepping some meals ahead.  I have at least made a basic plan and done some shopping.  

On 2/24/2017 at 7:49 AM, Saritawho? said:

Glad to hear a bunch of us will be together for Lent!  

For a lot of my week day breakfasts I did a sweet potato hash brown casserole with a side of avocado and would save some of the casserole in the freezer for an emergency meal.   A 9x13 pan made eight healthy portioned slices, I'd make it on Sunday and put three slices in the freezer and keep the others in the fridge for my work day morning breakfasts.  I'd change up the toppings I'd throw in, one week it was Aidell's chicken and apple sausage with chopped onions...another it was more spinach, garlic, tomatoes.  Ground Turkey/Beef/Chicken and veggie soup was another easy one.  Basically, if you're making a big meal of something...stick a portion or two of it in the freezer.

The weather is starting to get warmer here (it is supposed to be 78 today!?!?!) so I'm hoping to have more salads than I did last round.  I'm planning on firing up the grill this weekend and getting a bunch of chicken cooked up that I can stash in the freezer and throw on a salad.  

Speaking of salads...has anyone tried Tessamae's salad dressings?  

I bought a bunch so I'm hoping it's good! 

17 minutes ago, angledge said:

OK, I've been dithering for days on whether or not I would attempt another WholeLent. I've done it the past two years (successfully in 2015, less so in 2016). But I think I need to give it another try. I really, really, REALLY need to drag my sugar dragon out back behind the woodshed & shoot it. 

I've been easing into Wednesday by eating more-or-less Whole30 for the past week or so, with exceptions. I've got some meals in the freezer & plans for this week. My partner is not going to be joining me on this Whole30 but I'll manage.

For those who are doing this Whole30 as a Lenten practice, I'd like to point out that the 30 days plus all the day of a full reintroduction takes you precisely from Ash Wednesday to Easter. 

This is perfect! I originally decided to do Whole30 at Lent just because my friend (pastor) and I were talking about needed a reset badly.  I'm glad that it works out that way! I'm really hoping to get a lot of work and prep done tonight to be ready.

@Mountain Girl Hey friend!!!!!  Yay for us!  :o) (*Sigh* Paris...what a fun thing to look forward to and understandable that the rigid reintroduction went out the window!)

Am echoing the non-participating household and the importance of these boards!  Husband has stated he will do W30 Suppers with me, but our two year old pretty much lives on chicken and mac and cheese right now, so there is no way our house can be 100% W30 compliant.  Our 7 month old is starting the exciting world of solids, so I guess she's technically W30 right now (aside from those dissolving puffs, we'll give her a pass).  :o)  

@SPeffer - You can do it!  Take it one meal at a time.  Eggs with roasted potatoes and avocado or a can of tuna mixed with avocados and some potatoes were my go to meals for the nights (or days, let's be real) when it was getting overwhelming.  It was helpful for me to remember that it took the same amount of time to make one of these 'emergency meals' as it would to make a non-compliant PBJ sandwich (especially if you were 'baking' the potato in the microwave).  Yes, other W30 meals might be tastier or fancier...but I just needed to be compliant for THAT meal...and when things would calm down, I'd make something more fun (like coconut milk soaked, pecan encrusted chicken nuggets!).  Let me know what dressings you try out first and how you like them!!!!  

Yay! Great to see all the March 1st & Lent Whole 30'ers.

I finished my first Whole 30 in January and reintroduced most things. And then yesterday, after almost a year of no sugar, I ate several pieces of milk chocolate toffee that was sitting on the counter. The toffee part was good. :).

I never quite felt the consistent tiger blood, and I'm hoping that doing it again through Lent will get me there. 

One thing that worked for me during my 1st time around is prepping food on Sunday.  Baking a few sweet potatoes, frying up some ground turkey with spices in it, slicing up veggies. Oh, and making homemade mayo.  The Whole 30 recipe is the best!

I am really looking forward to getting started on the Whole 30 for Lent. I have done Whole 30 two other times with some success. Now with the added spiritual aspect of Lent I think it will be even more beneficial. Great to be a part of this forum for helpful suggestions and support.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:20 PM, Saritawho? said:

Me too! I am doing a WholeLent.

Yay! im so glad to have foubd this forum! Im starting tomorrow, March 1st as well. Even tho I didnt plan it on purpose its good that it landed during lent since I always give up my favorites anyway. Im a total newbie so I won't lie, Im a little nervous! I think the only thing that will help me a bit is that since I have been doing keto..I wont miss grains as much. But not having my sugar free stuff will probably be hard. I am willing to go all in tho since I know this will be good for me. Glad to find other people startibg around the same time!!

Hello all, another Whole30 newbie trying this for Lent!  I hope the board participation doesn't die off because of the FB group, though.  I don't do FB.

My biggest problem is going to be breakfasts since I hate eggs :( but I did find a sausage recipe that I'm going to try making tonight.

Well, I just started yesterday but need a support group to kick around with.  Not enough of us guys on here, I just finished the W30 after 40 days and felt wonderful and I was in a hurry one day and ran through a drive thru and well....the rest is history.  I will say I went to the VA doctor and had all my numbers ran and ALL my numbers were really good and before I was borderline sugar and Cholesterol and lost right at 30 lbs. 

Well this time my wife isn't on it with me but we have joined the YMCA and exercise is being brought back and I guess the main draw beside I feel crappy again is we have a cruise coming in mid April so will be on this until a week or so before with enough time to do the re-intro properly this time.

My savior is Ghee Butter and Baked potatoes with so W30 approved bacon from Earth Fare.  Not the best for losing weight but if it keeps me eating well its fine.  Dinner is by far the hardest as I make a week ahead my breakfast of Diced potatoes with peppers and onions and 2 slices of bacon and 2 eggs.  Lunch is usually Beef stew or leftovers.  Dinner is bad because with the wife and 4 kids.....well you get it. 

Good luck everyone. 

I plan on starting March 1st as well. I feel that I am turning to food for the wrong reasons and want to just use food to fuel my body. I also have horrible sugar cravings that I want to beat. I know I will feel better if I do this the entire month of March. I know I will have to say no thank others and be firm with them.

I actually started today, but close enough to call it March 1! 

Like most of you I am excited for a change but really apprehensive about finding enough diversity to keep me from boredom.  I also worry about having enough in the tank for physical activity, I belong to Orange Theory Fitness and the workouts can be pretty intense.   And then there's coffee.......I already miss my coffee. 

Would love to be a part of a newbie forum where we could support each other.

I'm in.  This may be bad for the whole pizza thing going on though.

For a big help on meals, especially if you work and have to carry your meals,  consult with Well Fed Weeknights.  It's got a mini-cookup for Sunday that takes less than an hour and you have food to eat, pack whatever.  You're all set for 7 days (at least).  And grab some Mason jars so you can whip up your mayo (in under 2 minutes) and an excellent Italian dressing that tastes like Good Seasons.  Eggs, zoodles, cauliflower rice, potatoes, protein.  It's all there!

Archived