Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to those who just posted! I'm on my phone and can't reply as well. 

Im starting to get more excited. I've got my shopping done and tomorrow totally ready/planned. 

Id love it if everyone shared food plans if that is allowed. It will help newbies like me get some ideas. 

This is my plan for tomorrow. 

Sweet potato bowl with fruit and almonds. 

Salad with salmon and olives. Fruit. 

Pork with the other half of the sweet potato and roasted veggies. 

I used one of my new sauces on the salmon so we will see how it goes  I might try one of the dressings

So for those who this impacts, how are you planning to deal with communion?  For what it's worth, for me this program is important but not more than communion so I'm taking it.  i don't know the official opinion though .

@NotSoHappyEater I haven't found compliant bacon at Eartha Fare? What brand did you find? And did you find breakfast sausage too? I have been subbing their house made chicken Italian sausage at breakfast because it IS compliant. Couldn't find smoked salmon there without sugar either. SUGAR IS EVERYWHERE...it's so frustrating!!

4 hours ago, Lishakay said:

I plan on starting March 1st as well. I feel that I am turning to food for the wrong reasons and want to just use food to fuel my body. I also have horrible sugar cravings that I want to beat. I know I will feel better if I do this the entire month of March. I know I will have to say no thank others and be firm with them.

Lishakay, I feel like I could have written exactly that!

Starting March 1 too. Rather scared.

Looking forward to participating to this forum for mutual support!

I just decided (literally one hour ago) to jump into March Whole30 Land. Whoo Hoo! Let's do this! Reading the book, Whole30, will hopefully keep me focused. I've read It Starts With Food but not this one.

This will be my 3rd Whole30. I leapt face-first off the wagon after my last one and have gained 20 lbs since October 2016. There are other factors but I'm about over this stupid "food controls me" thing, so I am going to pay very close attention to my moods and attitudes this time around.

I'll jump into the FB group but make no promises about consistency there, as that can be an insanely unhealthy timesuck for me. (That should be Melissa's next book: The Facebook Cleanse.) :)

I'm excited to have found all y'all! We can do this!

[Photo is a quote from the book. Copyright held by Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig] https://itun.es/us/j1BB4.l

IMG_1346.PNG

13 hours ago, angledge said:

For those who are doing this Whole30 as a Lenten practice, I'd like to point out that the 30 days plus all the day of a full reintroduction takes you precisely from Ash Wednesday to Easter. 

Beautiful! I'm in! Thank you for knowing this and sharing with us.

How very...serendipitous. ❤

11 hours ago, lizziemay3 said:

Like most of you I am excited for a change but really apprehensive about finding enough diversity to keep me from boredom.  I also worry about having enough in the tank for physical activity, I belong to Orange Theory Fitness and the workouts can be pretty intense.   And then there's coffee.......I already miss my coffee. 

Your work outs might suffer in the first 10-14 days, but if your meals are composed effectively you should come out the other side stronger.

Also, unless you've decided yourself to give up coffee you CAN actually continue to drink it - you just can't have milk, creamer, half & half etc, or sugar/sweeteners. Many people like to use the nutpods available from Amazon, or coconut milk (as always read your labels for off plan ingredients such as carrageenan), ghee, or coconut oil. Some people find that if they buy a good quality coffee then it's actually not bad black. The choice is yours!

I'm starting Whole 30 today (03/01) with my husband and I'm pretty nervous. I have such a sweet tooth so my main goal is to kick the sugar/soda habit once and for all. I have done all my shopping and a little bit of meal prep but I'm not to great at it yet. I'm worried about being hungry while doing this but I'm also excited to see how this goes. I look forward to all the support and ideas from everyone! And I would also love to join the Facebook group too! 

Hi all. I'm addicted to pasta and cheese. I'm doing this because I feel there my be some inflammatory reactions from my consumption of flour products and I want to get to the root of that.  I'm looking forward to seeing results from this. 

1 hour ago, Texas_Momma said:

I'm worried about being hungry while doing this

Hey @Texas_Momma -there's absolutely no need for you to be hungry while doing this. You can eat as much protein, veggies & fat as you need. Remember that the template is a guideline and is the minimum you should eat - if you feel the need then please eat more, especially if you are particularly active.

Here for day 1!  First time I'm doing this and I'm a bit overwhelmed but I'll make it work.  Skimmed the books enough to understand what I need to do and I'll keep reading this week to get more acclimated. 

It wasn't entirely my intent to do this for Lent, but as a lapsed Catholic I'm finding it amusing that I'm falling in line for it this year with by far the most challenging penance for Lent I've ever done.  Most years I say that I'm giving up Lent for Lent!

9 hours ago, kirstenmichelle said:

I just decided (literally one hour ago) to jump into March Whole30 Land. Whoo Hoo! Let's do this! Reading the book, Whole30, will hopefully keep me focused. I've read It Starts With Food but not this one.

This will be my 3rd Whole30. I leapt face-first off the wagon after my last one and have gained 20 lbs since October 2016. There are other factors but I'm about over this stupid "food controls me" thing, so I am going to pay very close attention to my moods and attitudes this time around.

I'll jump into the FB group but make no promises about consistency there, as that can be an insanely unhealthy timesuck for me. (That should be Melissa's next book: The Facebook Cleanse.) :)

I'm excited to have found all y'all! We can do this!

[Photo is a quote from the book. Copyright held by Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig] https://itun.es/us/j1BB4.l

IMG_1346.PNG

I do worry about the "after" with this plan b/c my bad eating habits go well past just poor food choices.  I am so hoping that this will help me move towards a change.  Though I've been think and made healthy food choices the majority of my life - I definitely do not have a healthy relationship with food.  I know it will probably take me a few rounds, but first I need to start this one! :)

5 hours ago, Khadijah said:

Hi all. I'm addicted to pasta and cheese. I'm doing this because I feel there my be some inflammatory reactions from my consumption of flour products and I want to get to the root of that.  I'm looking forward to seeing results from this. 

Pasta and I do not work well together.  I forget all about moderation - I am almost positive I will see a positive change from eliminating it. 

Hello Everyone!

The husband and myself are starting today we turned 25 in January and would like to make a change in the poor eating habits we've had up to this point. it's lifestyle change time, he has an APFT in April and my Pure Barre gym is doing a March Madness challenge of 20 classes in 31 days so we picked march to start our Whole 30. It also happens to be our 5 year wedding anniversary so we prepped together last night and have the Italian Slow Cooker roast going as we work. Coming home to a wonderful aroma and a good meal is just how we'd like to spend our anniversary. While also playing Fallout 4 of course.

I am anticipating the Sugar Dragon to be my biggest enemy on this journey especially while I am at work. So I plan on packing a filling lunch so those 2 o'clock cravings wont overwhelm me. The no snacking thing confuses me a little and presents its own challenge for me. I have a hard time eating three  meals a day I usually eat about four or five times a day in small meals/snacks. So I've got a Lara bar and some sunflower kernels to help with that. Some might say just tough it out and skip he snacks but for me that isn't an option.  As a ED survivor I know that skipping one meal/snack tends to lead to me skipping more which leads to more destructive behavior.  I love cooking though and plan to do some major prep this weekend I've been obsessed with roasted carrots lately.

I hope the Whole 30 helps me get back in touch with the Chef  I lost post Culinary school when life became more complicated and cooking became less fun. I am also hoping it helps with my Fibromyalgia and the inflammation in my joints. I am also hoping to find some new foods that I love because as a pretty picky eater I have a hard time trying new things. So here's to 30 days of change!

Glad to hear that there are others out there doing a "whole-lent!" --  me too! I was just going to do it, but it's nice to have a group out there to join! I just finished a Whole30 last month and decided to jump back in again. One thing I've noticed is that my general mood is happy -- what a great feeling! Although I do get hangry at times, and definitely went through the 'kill all the things' phase last time - shocking how it crept up on me. However, it passed thankfully and I didn't actually kill anything!

19 hours ago, Gypsy3n8 said:

My biggest problem is going to be breakfasts since I hate eggs :( but I did find a sausage recipe that I'm going to try making tonight.

If you hate the taste of eggs, but don't object to eggs in a recipe where you don't taste them, I recommend this Sausage/Greens/Cauli-Grits casserole. Make one 9"x13" baking dish full of this, cut into 8 servings = breakfasts for over a week. You can freeze part of it if you don't want to eat the same thing for breakfast 8 days in a row.

15 hours ago, Lorraine Irish said:

Appreciate any advice, tips, and favorite recipes.

For me, planning meals a week at a time works really well. Send me a message & I'll share my Excel meal-planning spreadsheet if you'd like.

Favorite recipes: I love Michelle Tam's website, Nom Nom Paleo. Most of her recipes are Whole30-compliant. I also love Mel Joulwan's cookbooks, available for purchase here.

14 hours ago, SPeffer said:

Id love it if everyone shared food plans if that is allowed.

Today for breakfast, I ate the Sausage/Greens/Cauli-Grits casserole mentioned above & leftover lamb Mulligatawny Stew. I also had a cup of coffee with coconut oil & ghee blended in.

Lunch will be a green salad (lettuce, carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, & Tessamae's balsamic vinaigrette dressing), Madras Chicken Salad, & some clementines. Probably a glass of kombucha. 

Dinner will be my Mama's spaghetti sauce (made with ground bison & Italian sausages) over zoodles. Which reminds me, I need to get the sauce started in the slow cooker. 

15 hours ago, SPeffer said:

Welcome to those who just posted! I'm on my phone and can't reply as well. 

Im starting to get more excited. I've got my shopping done and tomorrow totally ready/planned. 

Id love it if everyone shared food plans if that is allowed. It will help newbies like me get some ideas. 

This is my plan for tomorrow. 

Sweet potato bowl with fruit and almonds. 

Salad with salmon and olives. Fruit. 

Pork with the other half of the sweet potato and roasted veggies. 

I used one of my new sauces on the salmon so we will see how it goes  I might try one of the dressings

So for those who this impacts, how are you planning to deal with communion?  For what it's worth, for me this program is important but not more than communion so I'm taking it.  i don't know the official opinion though .

I don't have my books with me, but I think it says in the Whole30 book (or in Food Freedom Forever, not certain which) that it is indeed a personal choice, but in their opinion "God>Whole30."  :-)

Hey kids! Happy Day One! How's it going? Where is your head? Anyone freaking out? I'm obsessing and it's probably not very healthy. I'm very hard on myself...I hope that I can learn gentle sternness thought this round of Whole30 awesomeness. I'd never be so mean to another human being as I am to myself.

Intention: treat myself as I would treat another in this place. Discipline, understanding, acceptance, and above all LOVE.  

23 minutes ago, angledge said:

If you hate the taste of eggs, but don't object to eggs in a recipe where you don't taste them, I recommend this Sausage/Greens/Cauli-Grits casserole. Make one 9"x13" baking dish full of this, cut into 8 servings = breakfasts for over a week. You can freeze part of it if you don't want to eat the same thing for breakfast 8 days in a row.

Thanks, but does this have a quiche-like taste/texture?  That's how badly I loathe eggs.  Otherwise it sounds pretty good.  I wonder if something can be subbed as a binder for this, or just leave the eggs out altogether and make it like a hash kind of thing.

I ran through the 24 hour WM on the way to work and grabbed Larabars and Buddy Almond Butter, so I'm doing pretty well today.  Lunch will be 2 baked russet potatoes with salsa.  DH ate all of the fresh stuff I bought at Aldi, so this is jarred salsa but has no added sugar.  Dinner will be baked cod with some kind of veggie, not sure yet.

Archived