Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kjmc hang in there!  I usually give up beer for Lent and that's hard enough, but I'm right there with you giving up everything else too.  But it's worth it.  I'm 2 years away from 50 and carrying too much weight and too many bad habits.  I want to live to see grandkids, and my DS is only 16.

Yesterday was a success, even faced with a really tough mac n cheese challenge.  DS doesn't like fish, so I made him mac n cheese for supper.  It was TOUGH but I didn't even lick the spoon.  And what he didn't finish went right into the trash.

:D

Today is going well also. 

Yesterday I was hit with intense sugar cravings - right in the middle of Ash Wednesday services. And of course the New Testament reading was from Matthew 6, about giving alms & praying & FASTING in secret.... so I was trying very hard to be friendly & nice even though I wanted a donut badly enough to bite someone for one...

Day One down!

Today I'm eating breakfast casserole, black coffee, leftover chicken salad, some of my delicious spaghetti sauce over sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, & butternut squash noodles (pre-made at my grocery store, hooray!!), a green salad with Tessamae's dressing, & a chicken/veggie stir fry with Mel Joulwan's Sunshine Sauce. What's everyone else planning to eat?

Just now, Gypsy3n8 said:

Morning @angledge 

Breakfast - Cashew Cookie Larabar and banana

AM Snack - Honeycrisp apple with almond butter

Lunch - Homemade carne guisada (no beef bouillon) over riced veggies, 2 clementines

PM snack - Apple pie Larabar

Dinner - not sure yet

Sorry, but you realise the larabars are for emergency use only, right?

Breakfasts & snacks are not emergencies. The need for snacks indicates that your meals are not big enough, and you needed the snack because your meal was a larabar...

Have you seen the meal template? Protein, veg & fat, three times a day, the first within an hour of wakening. Fruit shouldn't push the veg off of your plate, nor should it be eaten on it's own as a snack. Fruit should also be limited to a max of 2 fist sized servings per day - you're way over that already... Nuts should be eaten in moderation only - again, with the nut butter & the nuts in the bars you're going to give yourself digestive issues. Eating the way you have so far will honestly have you feeling dizzy/light headed, hangry & ready to quit within days.

Lunch looks much better - try to make dinner along the same lines & you'll feel much, MUCH better.... Honest!

I fell like day one went well for me.  I had pre-made some chicken and it sucked so I had to go back to the store and cook again :lol::lol::lol: It did surprise me that the thing I missed most yesterday was sugar free gum and mints.  I did not realize how many I ate a day and thought about popping one or the other about 30 times yesterday.  Excited for day 2!

Day 2:

Breakfast: 3 eggs + vegetables + black coffee

Lunch: tuna/salmon salad + apple + 1 Tbsp almond butter

Snack (if needed): Blueberry Rx bar

Dinner: greens + shredded carrots + red garnet yam + pumpkin seeds + roasted Brussels sprouts + hard-boiled egg + vegan parmesan (almonds + nutritional yeast + garlic powder) + TessaMae's ranch dressing

I'm loosely following the w30 7 day meal plan this week, so today:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with berries and steamed spinach, black coffee blended with coconut cream ( = frothy and delicious.)

Lunch: Mexican tuna boats

Dinner: L/O Seared chicken with the most delicious red pepper sauce I've ever had, coleslaw recipe with a kale/brussel/cabbage blend from Trader Joe's, roasted potato spears.

Snack: celery sticks, small orange

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, jmcbn said:

Your work outs might suffer in the first 10-14 days, but if your meals are composed effectively you should come out the other side stronger.

Also, unless you've decided yourself to give up coffee you CAN actually continue to drink it - you just can't have milk, creamer, half & half etc, or sugar/sweeteners. Many people like to use the nutpods available from Amazon, or coconut milk (as always read your labels for off plan ingredients such as carrageenan), ghee, or coconut oil. Some people find that if they buy a good quality coffee then it's actually not bad black. The choice is yours!

Thanks for your insight and info.  I ordered the nutpods and they are due to arrive tomorrow. 

I am on Day 3 and doing fine!  I weighed myself and took measurements which I know is discouraged but I really want to add it to all the reasons that this program is successful come Day 30.

@jmcbn  Do you realize you are talking to a hard core veggie hater?  Probably not.

I am trying to work this diet by following the eliminated food groups, but I have to eat something that I can/will eat.  All the recipes for squash this and egg that are not helpful when they make me gag. 

As for breakfast not being an emergency and eating within an hour of waking, I get up early enough for my 1 hour drive into work, so travel food is it.  Better a Larabar and piece of fruit that McDonalds. 

All of this is a process, and my journey is not the same as yours.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Gypsy3n8 said:

@jmcbn  Do you realize you are talking to a hard core veggie hater?  Probably not.

I am trying to work this diet by following the eliminated food groups, but I have to eat something that I can/will eat.  All the recipes for squash this and egg that are not helpful when they make me gag. 

As for breakfast not being an emergency and eating within an hour of waking, I get up early enough for my 1 hour drive into work, so travel food is it.  Better a Larabar and piece of fruit that McDonalds. 

All of this is a process, and my journey is not the same as yours.

The thing is, this is not a 'diet'.  It's not even close to being a calorie restriction or counting/measuring plan.  It's an elimination plan designed to help you figure out at the end of 30 days, how foods affect you.  If you eat fruit and nuts and lara bars three or four times a day and limit the amount of protein, veggies and fat, it will not be sustainable and your gut could really rebel, as @jmcbn has said.

There are lots of options for 'travel food' that are a better choice than a larabar.  The meal template is the absolute minimum amount that a human adult needs daily to survive. It's okay if you're not a huge veggie fan now, but part of the Whole30 is trying to reframe things about food... so maybe instead of referring to yourself as a 'hardcore veggie hater' you can consider yourself an 'experimental veggie trier'.

what things do you like to eat? You don't have to have squash and eggs for breakfast... meatballs, chicken salad (or any other protein salad)... we can definitely help you with ideas if you want to expand your horizons.

that said, you can keep eating exactly the way you are.... technically it's a whole30... but if you're having hunger/hanger/tired/dizzy issues, bathrooming issues, sleep issues etc...the mods will ask to see your meal plan and the first piece of advice will be what we're talking about now... 

We want you to be successful and we can help with that :)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, neversickofeggs said:

Day 2:

Breakfast: 3 eggs + vegetables + black coffee

Lunch: tuna/salmon salad + apple + 1 Tbsp almond butter

Snack (if needed): Blueberry Rx bar

Dinner: greens + shredded carrots + red garnet yam + pumpkin seeds + roasted Brussels sprouts + hard-boiled egg + vegan parmesan (almonds + nutritional yeast + garlic powder) + TessaMae's ranch dressing

Hey there - 

Couple things... if you need a snack between meals, eat protein and fat and ideally veggies...we call it a mini meal... an RX bar is for emergencies and a planned possible snack is not an emergency.

Second, your dinner is pretty small if you're only eating one hard boiled egg.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping. For most women that starts at 3-4.

Also, your lunch has no veggies?  Fruit is fine but don't let it replace veggies on your plate :)

28 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey there - 

Couple things... if you need a snack between meals, eat protein and fat and ideally veggies...we call it a mini meal... an RX bar is for emergencies and a planned possible snack is not an emergency.

Second, your dinner is pretty small if you're only eating one hard boiled egg.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping. For most women that starts at 3-4.

Also, your lunch has no veggies?  Fruit is fine but don't let it replace veggies on your plate :)

Hello-

Thank you for your insight.

My lunch is a salad (greens, shredded broccoli, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots) with tuna and salmon.  Per my username, I'll happily increase my egg intake at dinner, but unsure that 3 or 4 is doable for a meal I'm not typically ravenous for.  

As far as snacks are concerned, my snack time (4 or 5pm) occurs on a plane, as I commute as a Registered Dietitian from Portland to San Francisco and back every day.  For the sake of my fellow passengers, I choose not to subject them to the scent of HB eggs or fish in an enclosed space :) *Note: I'm following a pescetarian Whole 30, for ethical, environmental sustainability and nutritional reasons. I plan to alternate Rx bars with 1 oz cashews + 1 piece fruit as my snacks, as these are easy to get through security.  I'm very open to other suggestions.

Thanks again.

I have a minute of free time at work so I figured I would come post my meals, and anyone who wants can add suggestions! (Please do).  To start - I already know I need to rework breakfast b/c I was so hungry about three hours after.  I'm working on finding foods I can eat early. It's not something I'm used to (bad me)  and kind of want to gag on most foods that early. I know it will get better though!  I've not come close to managing to eat within an hour of waking up - promise to work on this ;)

1. Sweet potato bowl: 1/2 sweet potato, raspberries/blueberries (I'm not sure how much - I can tell you it's a handful from the freezer bag), 1/2 banana and 1 tsp almond butter.  I need to work on this a lot - I didn't even eat all the sweet potato I put in there b/c I accidentally undercooked it a bit - oops.  

2. Spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables, apple/chicken sausage (so so good), ghee (first time ever trying it - delicious!)

3. I have an apple/chicken/vegetable "stir fry" - I will likely have it with more spaghetti squash, since obviously I have a ton of it at the moment (those things make a LOT)!

I did have some almonds early afternoon because I was in a meeting with my coworkers until 1:00 and was so hungry and I found some that I had in my desk.  The good news is that held me until I could grab my lunch and I avoided the pizza that they ordered! 

50 minutes ago, SPeffer said:

1. Sweet potato bowl: 1/2 sweet potato, raspberries/blueberries (I'm not sure how much - I can tell you it's a handful from the freezer bag), 1/2 banana and 1 tsp almond butter.  I need to work on this a lot - I didn't even eat all the sweet potato I put in there b/c I accidentally undercooked it a bit - oops.  

2. Spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables, apple/chicken sausage (so so good), ghee (first time ever trying it - delicious!)

3. I have an apple/chicken/vegetable "stir fry" - I will likely have it with more spaghetti squash, since obviously I have a ton of it at the moment (those things make a LOT)!

Ok, so lunch & dinner look okay so long as the portions are holding you 4-5 hrs (although it's early days so we can work on that), but you're right, breakfast needs some tweaking....

Almond butter is a fat for Whole30 purposes, so you're completely lacking protein here. Protein is what is going to give you the staying power, fat will provide energy, and the veg will provide fibre which will give you that nice full feeling. Many people report that when they have fruit with breakfast that they feel hungrier sooner - even if they have the exact same breakfast as they had on previous days with the addition of fruit.

What vegetables do you like? Personally I like to hold all starch until meal 3 - there is lots of anecdotal evidence that this helps sleep, and for me it also helps avoid any afternoon crashes. I like to start my day with greens so maybe some eggs scrambled with chopped spinach, dill pickles, & roasted peppers. If I'm not having eggs I might have kale braised in ghee with some chocolate chilli... Burger patties work well with guac & salad.

Start thinking in terms of meals 1, 2 & 3 and stop thinking in traditional breakfast terms and a whole new world will open up to you...

Hope this helps!

12 minutes ago, neversickofeggs said:

Breakfast- 6am

Lunch- 11am

Snack- 4-5pm

Dinner- 7pm

You may not think it right now, but I reckon with a bit of tweaking to the composition of your meals and some time to allow your body to become fat adapted, you'll be able to do away with that snack. And with a snack 2hrs before dinner it's no wonder you're not typically ravenous for it.

Is there any flexibility on breakfast/lunch timings?

@jmcbn Are we all aiming for fat adaptation?  I suppose I didn't gather that from reading It Starts With Food or the examining the nutritional parameters from the basic Whole 30 meal template.  Fat adaptation, or the usage of ketones as a primary means of energy, occurs from carbohydrate consumption limited to 30-50g per day, depending on the individual.  I surely will be consuming more than 50g via non-starchy vegetables, sweet potatoes, and various fruits on Whole 30.  Is it Whole 30's intent to place participants in mild ketosis/fat adaptation?

No flexibility on breakfast timing Monday-Friday, lunch is flexible.  Meal timing and choices liberated on weekends to allow for 3 meals, no snacking.  

1 minute ago, neversickofeggs said:

Fat adaptation, or the usage of ketones for energy sources occurs from carbohydrate consumption limited to 30-50g per day, depending on the individual.  I surely will be consuming more than 50g via non-starchy vegetables, sweet potatoes, and various fruits on Whole 30.  Is it Whole 30's intent to place participants in mild ketosis/fat adaptation?

Fat burning & fat adapted are two different things.

What you are describing in terms of using ketones for energy would be ketosis, yes, something we fairly actively discourage.

The aim here is fat adaptation (which IIRC is talked about in ISWF as 'fat for fuel') where the body can efficiently burn both types of fuel.

In terms of your meal timings then would it be easier to have some sort of a mini meal in the am meaning there'd be less of a restriction around smell etc., and push lunch back a little cutting out the need for an in-flight snack before dinner?

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, so lunch & dinner look okay so long as the portions are holding you 4-5 hrs (although it's early days so we can work on that), but you're right, breakfast needs some tweaking....

Almond butter is a fat for Whole30 purposes, so you're completely lacking protein here. Protein is what is going to give you the staying power, fat will provide energy, and the veg will provide fibre which will give you that nice full feeling. Many people report that when they have fruit with breakfast that they feel hungrier sooner - even if they have the exact same breakfast as they had on previous days with the addition of fruit.

What vegetables do you like? Personally I like to hold all starch until meal 3 - there is lots of anecdotal evidence that this helps sleep, and for me it also helps avoid any afternoon crashes. I like to start my day with greens so maybe some eggs scrambled with chopped spinach, dill pickles, & roasted peppers. If I'm not having eggs I might have kale braised in ghee with some chocolate chilli... Burger patties work well with guac & salad.

Start thinking in terms of meals 1, 2 & 3 and stop thinking in traditional breakfast terms and a whole new world will open up to you...

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help! 

I really love all vegetables for the most part. I just used what I had handy so for lunch it was Brussels sprouts and carrots. For dinner it will be peppers, onions and the rest of the Brussels sprouts. I like them all though so I will try to get more leafy greens early on. 

I am really thinking/hoping as this goes along that I will get more used to different foods early in the morning. I'm not picky for sure!  Just struggle to eat in the morning  

Chocolate chili sounds interesting!!

I do appreciate the info! I'm still making my way through the books. 

Hello! I also started on March 1. I'm really excited and optimistic about the outcome. I know it will be hard but it's something I HAVE to do for my body. I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago and have not found anything that helps me fight it, but I really think the Whole30 could be it. I'm currently having a terrible headache but I know it won't last forever. I want my body back!!!

I started this Whole30 due to health issues I've been having.  Been diagnosed with asthma for almost 5 years now and nothing is helping my breathing.  Some days I find it hard to walk to my car.  I started Whole30 yesterday and today I get news from my Dr. that the only way to treat my condition (as it's a narrowing of my trachea instead of asthma) is surgery.  So I'm very disappointed today.  However I'm still going to stick to this Whole30 and see if I have any changes.  As much as I wanted to just give up after the news today I think the Whole30 can still offer me some relief.  Tonight I'm going to cook up some new meals as for the past day and half I've only eaten eggs, spinach, carrots, tuna and blueberries.  Tonight I'm cooking up some meats to add to my veggies and fruit. 

Archived