Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

My day 2 has been going well. I found the Tessemae dressings which will make my life of eating salads so much brighter. I can't wait to take it with me when I go out to lunch. I usually only eat two eggs for breakfast but based on some of the earlier posts I need to add at least one more until I find some other protein to add. Still looking for complaint bacon and sausage. I am making buffalo hamburger patty, sweet potato and green beans or salad for dinner. So far feeling great. Have a great evening.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CarrieTampa I'm so sorry to hear about your updated diagnosis. That must have really shook you. I was diagnosed with adult-onset asthma about five years ago (aggravated by environmental factors, diet and autoimmune disease), so I know how scary breathing problems can be -- but my situation isn't like yours. I wish you the absolute best with whatever happens from here (surgery, etc). 

I'm on Day 25 of my W30, and I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your decision to go ahead despite this. Good for you! 

And I hope you do get some relief with your breathing. I know your problem is different than just asthma, but I can tell you that I haven't had to use my nebulizer at all during my W30 so far, and I only used my rescue inhaler a few times in the first week. That's a big improvement for me.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, SPeffer said:

Chocolate chili sounds interesting!!

I'll admit, I like my chilli a lot spicier so I kind of mixed my own chilli recipe with >this one< (and I often add chopped veg too) from Mel Joulwan to create my own version, but it's a regular in my food rotation. She has a lot of other Whole30 compliant recipes on her website too, and a couple of fantastic recipe books...

Enjoy!

Sooo sleepy this morning.  Whole 30 hangover is here. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Bloat is dissipating, clothes are already fitting a bit looser. I've known for years that dairy doesn't agree with me (manifests in break outs), and that I'm salt-sensitive, but I'm inclined to believe that something I was regularly eating was causing me to bloat.  Most looking forward to improved energy, clarity, and mindful eating habit formation.

Cheers to you all!

Eccentrica Thank you for your kind words.  It's great to hear you have gotten some relief.  I also suffer from environmental allergies and possibly an auto immune disease.  It is something they want to biopsy with the surgery.  I'm hoping the Whole30 helps at least relieves some of my symptoms.  Anything that makes it easier to breath is worth a shot right?  :)  How long have you been on the Whole30 and what is the biggest thing you have noticed?  I'm having a hard time getting all my proteins in.  I'm not a big meat eater and Day 3 I'm already getting tired of eggs.  I think I need to be more creative. 

Hi All,

Last year on April 4 I started whole30. It was a great success, but certainly not easy at first. I must say since that time I have cooked more this past year than I have the last 20 years!  I stayed on and basically did a whole120. I never got the huge burst of energy that everyone talked about during the first 30 days, but my family mentioned that I seemed to have extra spunk in my step, in addition, I would always be moving rather than sitting down at night after work. I guess it did work, but I did not realize it right away as it was a slow change for me.  So to all of you newbies, pay close attention, as there are good things happening as you struggle through the cravings, the tiredness of thinking and planning food all the time, just understand that sometimes you don't notice it right away, but it is helping you and you will feel better.    In addition to feeling better, and increasing my energy, over the course of 6 months I lost 40 lbs.  I know this program is not meant for weight loss, but I did help me tremendously.  I still have much to loose and frankly I have hit a plateau (for quite awhile) and I started to take things for granted ... this is when I started to let myself cheat. I had moved to paleo and still felt great, but there were times when I would be like,,, it is no big deal.  Clearly my hitting the plateau and feeling stuck for so long impacted how I have been eating lately. I would say I have been whole30 95% of the time. But let me tell you, that 5% of not doing it really messed with my mind.  I don't want to fall back into my old habits!   I liked myself much more (I know that sounds crazy), while doing whole30. So, I made the commitment to myself to start over again with this group on March 1 to reset my body, as well as my mind.  Also, having a group going through the same struggles really is helpful, at least it was for me! So, looking forward to reading your posts, hearing about your struggles as well as your triumphs!

Hello. I would like to join you. I finished my first Whole30 a few weeks ago and now I'm trying to get back on track to do another one. So today will be my official day 1 - march 3. I have an auto immune disease and 60 pounds to lose. I lost 8 lbs on my first whole30. I've been trying to figure out why it's been hard to get back on track. I know checking in here will help keep me honest. Also sadly I think it's better for me not to try to do too much else. As in if I start taking on lots of projects I lose focus on Whole30 and it seems to require a lot of focus from me. It's really important to take time for a good W30 breakfast every day or else I'll be in danger of blowing up the whole day. 

Hi, I officially started on March 1; this is my first time doing Whole30.  Even though I already eat pretty clean and work out, thyroid and other (hormonal?) issues recently caused me to gain 10-15 lbs in a very short period of time.  I started seeing a holistic doctor and this program was one of her recommendations.  I was concerned about eliminating grains, especially in the morning, because I've always gotten migraines from low carb diets.  So far, I'm focusing on getting enough carbs from potatoes, bananas, etc. and I haven't had one yet.  

Hi all! I'm not starting till March 5, but would love to join you. This is my third round. My first (Sept. 2015) was great, except the reintro was too close to the holidays. My second was January 2016. I was too stuck in winter depression to appreciate the benefits! But now, I'm feeling better, and looking forward to the challenge. I'm shopping and cooking this weekend, and have purchased a very small chest freezer to be able to freeze lots of good, compliant stuff. Will be headed to Costco too, for some W30 staples. I'm visiting with family till Saturday, so will check in to read the rest of the thread and get to know everyone on Sunday.

If you did start a private FB group, would love to join there too!

Day 2 went well.  I was reading the Whole30 timeline and found the information about the dreams interesting.  Last night I had what I can only describe as "pregnancy" like dreams and I KNOW I am not pregnant.  It was good to see that can be a side effect.  I was already doing low sugar before this so I am wondering if that is why I had day 11 side effects on day 2.  I really missed my wine last night.  If I am being perfectly honest I had been drinking wine to the point of passing out most nights so I would not have to think.  I know this is not good for me mentally or physically.   When I lay down at night I worry so much, mostly about my kids.  During this process I am going to try to replace drinking with praying and hope I can break a very unhealthy cycle.  I also appreciate the advice yesterday that each meal should be considered Meal !, 2, and 3 rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I also liked the simple suggestion of each meal having a protein,  fat, and veg.  I kind of chant that in my head when making and packing meals.  Now lets rock day 3!!

Day 2 was another success.  I expected to have the "hangover" effect happen to me either yesterday or today on Day 3 but that doesn't seem to be happening (not complaining). I haven't noticed any changes yet but hoping the more days I go the more results I'll see. 

Hope everybody rocks Day 3!!

Good morning Whole30 friends! Last night I slept sooo soundly - this has always been one of the best parts of the Whole30 for me, because I have struggled with insomnia for years! I slept EIGHT! FULL! HOURS! 

Good eats yesterday, but the day was slightly marred by some snacking - compliant snacking, but nonetheless I'm trying to eat only three times a day. 

Today's menu

Breakfast: sausage/greens/cauli-grits casserole, green grapes, & coffee with collagen powder, coconut oil, & ghee blended in. 

Lunch: salad (diced turkey, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, & Tessamae's balsamic dressing), leftover Madras chicken salad, & some fruit (clementines or grapes).

Dinner: probably ground bison spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage over mixed veggie noodles again. I don't feel like cooking. 

1 hour ago, CarrieTampa said:

Eccentrica Thank you for your kind words.  It's great to hear you have gotten some relief.  I also suffer from environmental allergies and possibly an auto immune disease.  It is something they want to biopsy with the surgery.  I'm hoping the Whole30 helps at least relieves some of my symptoms.  Anything that makes it easier to breath is worth a shot right?  :)  How long have you been on the Whole30 and what is the biggest thing you have noticed?  I'm having a hard time getting all my proteins in.  I'm not a big meat eater and Day 3 I'm already getting tired of eggs.  I think I need to be more creative. 

Today is day 26 for me and the challenges are constantly changing with W30, but I think, most importantly, it's less challenging overall now.

The first week was such a mixed bag, but my eagerness helped temper the hard parts. By week two, I was dealing with mood swings, low energy and just trying to figure out how to tailor my meals to fit my needs.

Getting creative with my food was/is a big help— and yeah, as much as I love eggs, even I get a bit egged out from time to time. My proteins are mostly eggs, tuna, salmon and turkey, but I try to transform them into fun stuff: Thai tuna patties, salmon frittata, curry burgers, fried (cauliflower) rice with eggs and turkey bacon, etc.

It gets easier as you go along — the cravings wane, you get used to the kitchen hustle, and it all becomes your new normal.

As for wins, I have no idea how I'm doing weight wise. I look leaner in the face, but my clothes aren't really loose. But my breathing is better, my last Lupus flare was shorter than I would have expected, I like my food, and I'm feeling proud of sticking through this reboot.

There are no real downsides that I can see from here, so that's something to keep in mind if you have any tough days ahead!

I am also trying to figure out how to eliminate snacks...although I am super proud of myself that my snacks have been celery and w30 pesto or ranch or a fruit. Staying away from protein bars has been a great shift! They've been my go-to for so long, even though I knew most of them have way too much sugar in them. It feels good to be eating real food.

I feel a bit "hungover" this morning, but I honestly can't remember the last time I went this many days without some form of processed sugar. Progress!

I am in this to break my bad eating habits, reduce my inflammation levels so that my body can heal some chronic joint pain and a shoulder injury. I'm also hoping to see some positive results in energy and focus, and some minor digestive issues.

One challenge so far is that I know I have a very high IgG reaction to any form of eggs. I don't have any immediate noticeable reaction when I eat them, but I know it contributes to inflammation in my body. I decided to just eat them this first week, and then work on alternatives next week so I don't feel overwhelmed. Without eggs, though, its just regular food for breakfast...no "traditional" breakfast food at all. :( Sigh. 

Good job getting to Day 3 everyone! 

Started my Whole 30 on March 1. March 31 I head to Chicago for a weekend with my daughter and hope to be feeling and looking great!

Sugar breaks always make me feel great, and I really need to kick the sugar habit after over-indulging during the Holidays this winter. This is my first Whole 30 and I look forward to feeling good, cooking more, and resetting my habits.

On day 2, attended an event in a restaurant and faced the whole complicated issue of eating out. Had a mocktail with sparkling water, basil and lime and oysters with much lemon on them. I survived :-) Not hard.

I'm happy this forum exists as I'll want some good recipes and tips for success. I wish everyone luck and good health!  -J

@angledge do you have a recipe for the sausage/greens/cauliflower grits casserole? That sounds yummy. We love grits here. I made a soup last night that has been a staple for us in the winter (mulligatawny). I only had to tweak two ingredients to make it compliant. I subbed arrowroot for flour as thickener and I dumped cauli-rice in instead of brown rice. I don't think anyone even noticed the change. My kids think they don't like cauliflower. My last whole 30 I did fried rice with cauliflower and they ate it all. I was kind of sad because I was counting on leftovers...but they are eating healthy so, whatever. I would love to try cauliflower-grits out on them.  

Good morning/afternoon!  So far so good. I don't feel well at all but I'm going to blame it on a cold for now  I'm a bit dizzy and a tiny bit nauseous.  I ate breakfast and went to two meetings so far though so obviously functioning  

I've noticed not so much physical changes that others have but definitely mental. I feel better about myself eating this way rather than having a gigantic piece of carrot cake for dinner. 

I was happy last night that it went well because typically Fridays are the day I eat the worst. I almost always ate out before and never ever made healthy choices. Typically Chinese or Thai and usually noodle based.  I always typically eat out of boredom and worried about that for the weekend but I feel ok about it so far.

Hello to those who recently joined. I am so happy to have the help and support of this board and FB because this would be much harder on my own.

Day 4: I'm completely miserable about the things I can't eat. Physically I feel fine, no real bloating, "hangover" feeling either. My mood on the other hand is something way less desirable. 

Hoping this will pass and I'll feel better. 

50 minutes ago, KnykytaS said:

Day 4: I'm completely miserable about the things I can't eat. Physically I feel fine, no real bloating, "hangover" feeling either. My mood on the other hand is something way less desirable. 

Hoping this will pass and I'll feel better. 

@KnykytaS: Day 4 is known as "Kill All The Things Day". So according to the Whole30 timeline... you're right on schedule. It will pass. 

Today I'm feeling tired & a little crabby myself, but it's a beautiful day here in Denver. I spent the morning outside with my dogs & now I've opened up the house & I'm doing some spring cleaning. We are going to grill some steaks & marinaded butternut squash for dinner. Our neighbors are bringing over roasted potatoes & a Whole30-compliant salad (thank God for Paleo/Whole30 savvy friends!). 

I am right there on the day 4 timeline of "kill all things". I'm feeling crabby and irritated with everything. It doesn't help that it is dreary and chilly in Dallas. If it were sunny it might have boosted my mood. I read the timeline and Melissa said "Take a deep breath, eat some sweet potato, and remind yourself why you took on the Whole30 in the first place." So that's what I did. I had leftover steak, sweet potato with ghee and a salad for lunch. I feel a little better. Now I'm just going to relax and read a book and hope that this passes soon. One positive note, I did sleep better last night so that is definitely a good thing.

Yep, kill all the things.  And it's rainy, rainy, rainy here. Staying on track, though. Made stuffed peppers with balsamic reduction last night that were divine. Frittata for breakfast, tuna boats for lunch, l/o for dinner. 

My main complaint is all the extra dish washing! :) Crock pot/cast iron/dutch oven...I've used them all this week! 

I've been pretty irritable and crabby today. We were in the car all day so I packed lunch. I learned I need to pack bigger lunches because it definitely didn't hold me over until supper. I'm home for the weekend and I'm realizing the challenges of being around family members who are not eating whole30. My family likes to rub it in too and ask me about foods I like but can't have (teenage brothers like to tease). Also, my family is having pizza for dinner and the smell is killing me! 

Archived