Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

My husband and I started March 1 so DAY 4 DONE!!! YAY!!! And we haven't been too awful to each other, but a bit snappy. Grains are a biggie for him and I realized during a first start last month (11 days, and then blew it on a trip to the city - sushi!! and hub decided the day before that that he REALLY wanted to join me... he'd been "threatening" to for days) that I am a Scale Junkie/Addict... the commitment to not weigh myself was making me crazy... I was looking for excuses and finally stepped on the scale ---- busted!! and he committed to join in... so here we are....

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoK said:

My main complaint is all the extra dish washing! :) Crock pot/cast iron/dutch oven...I've used them all this week! 

I literally broke my dishwasher during my second Whole30. I've often said that Day 1 should start with "Ladies and gentlemen, start your dishwashers!!!!" 

Good work making it through Kill All The Things Day everybody!

We had a major storm on Wednesday which left us without electricity until today! Talk about "adding insult to injury!"  I made it through with a campstove, compliant canned tuna, and olives.  I was pretty edgy yesterday, but when I read the timeline this morning, it ALL made sense.  Here's to the luxury of a full kitchen!! :)

A friend of mine introduced me to the idea of giving this Whole30 a try.  I have previously completed IQS and have food intolerances that steer me away from gluten and dairy so I was confident I could keep up to the food restrictions.  My husband has no restrictions to his diet so the challenge of no bread and cheese to a French Canadian was overwhelming to him.  I followed the hints and removed everything not allowed from my cupboards a week before and left the items in boxes on the floor in the kitchen.  The frustration of digging through them was enough to make you not want the item by the time you found it.  My husband was constantly complaining but I really think it helped him to see what items were not allowed.  I am the driving force and secretly, I am hoping he can cut grains and cheese after the conclusion of the 30 days and appreciate how much better his gut feels.  BUT I LIKE WINE.......  Oh, how I like my wine.  For me, this is the most challenging aspect of the diet change.  I am paying special attention to how my mind and body feel as I plow through this month coveting my wine cellar.  Last night a very thoughtful friend invited us over for dinner and cooked to the Whole30 plan.  The meal was great, the company was delightful and I woke this morning and said 'I had a good time last night'.  The big difference was I watched our hosts drink the imported bottle of red, saw them enjoying it, discussing the flavours, and smells.  I really thought I would have had negative, jealous and maybe even envious feelings over them taking part in my favourite activity, without me.  I did reach for a glass and take a few wonderful sniffs of the bouquet, but handed back the glass without a thought of sneaking a sip.  Don't get me wrong, I will continue to enjoy my wine.  But already at day 5 I am more inclined to pay better attention or the mindfulness of enjoying my wine, with it no longer being a habit to reach for a glass while I start to cook, no matter the day.  

Well day 5 has proven to me kinda challenging. I ate totally on point today which is awesome, but I also started a new job today which is very physically demanding and my body is just exhausted.  I literally cannot wait for the tigers blood. 

Dinner is gonna be a nice big steak cause I'm craving red meat like crazy (yay to being anemic) with sautéed mushrooms and asparagus in clarified butter. Yum yum.

Hope everyone else is doing well on day 5! 

Day 5 was a mixed bag for me. I slept well so I started off the day feeling pretty good. I ate really well today so that is another plus. I have just felt kinda out of it today. Low energy and brain fog have made it hard to do my normal activities. At least I haven't been crabby on top of everything else. The rainy, chilly weather didn't help. I really am looking forward to the passing of this phase and getting back to feeling better. I guess I will see what tomorrow brings. Have a great Day 6 tomorrow!

Had my first dream about non-compliant food. I'm pretty sure it was a calzone but all I really remember is being upset about having start over haha. 

I'm still not sleeping well but I hope in the next few days that changes. 

Bring On Day 6!!

That's so funny - same thing happened to me! At the end of Day 1 I had a dream about accidentally ingesting just ONE GRAIN of sugar and remember feeling so miserable that I had messed up! Very interested how it affects us all psychologically!

Survivied a weekend trip to the in-laws for my MIL's birthday. It was supposed to be a day trip and turned into two. I stayed compliant, but my meal templates were way off...and too much fruit because there was so little else compliant. I guess I should have planned better and brought more of my own food. 

Ok, so catching up on posts...:rolleyes:

@RoK stuffed peppers w/ balsamic reduction sounds relish? Is it a recipe you can share?

@Elizabeth22 I am sorry for your lack of support at home. That's really a shame. I just wanted to hug you when I read that and say that it's very impressive that you are going to these lengths to clean up your diet and eat healthy so young. I wish I knew way back then what I know now....sure wouldn't have waited so long. 'high five". (Also, are you the grad student at Carolina? I have a son who is a junior there....great basketball game Saturday night!)

@angledge OMG I laughed so hard at "ladies and gentlemen, start your dishwashers". I am finding it a little easier to stay on top of it now, but that was such an adjustment my first whole 30! 

@BendySimcha I feel you on the scale junky front. Although I broke up with mine (the description in the book about the morning weigh in and how it affects your day was me to the letter!) about 7 months before my first whole 30, when I was on whole 30 and I wasn't feeling the tiger blood or seeing as many non scale victories as I had hoped, I was so tempted to weigh just because I needed SOME positive feedback that this was worth it. I don't want to go back to that daily weigh in and letting the number on the scale dictate my day or define my self image, but I am just not sure how to do that post whole 30. I think they need to address "scale reintroduction, too. 

@hchc I find wine, well, alcohol in general, to be the hardest part of whole 30 too.  After the first week, it's really only hard in social situations for me.  Which makes me think, like you, that often my nightly glass was more habit than anything else. Whole 30 is good at having me examine things I consume automatically and figuring out which can go and which can't. (Wine definitely CANNOT...on a permanent basis...but I can be more aware and intentional about consumption). That said...it's the first week and weekends are hard. I survived Saturday night's birthday celebration where the rest of the table consumed 3 bottles (among 6 adults). But last night when we got home we went to a concert. My husband had a beer...a yummy local brew. He asked me to hold his glass while he did something on his phone which took forever as I stared longingly into his glass. I told him he needed to take it back quickly. He told me how proud he was of me and kissed me...and I am pretty sure we made out like teenagers...cuz, man he tasted good:D But I didn't DRINK!

Glad to be home in my own kitchen with control over all my food.  Other than the prep and the dishes, it's just not too hard when I am home. Traveling and dining out...not so much. Upping my carb intake this week because I run my first half marathon on Saturday. Got my race info email last night, and there's nothing compliant but water at the refueling stations.  I have to figure out how to work this. I've got to consume more than water on this race. I'd welcome any suggestions. I may go ask in the whole 30 for athletes thread too. Happy day 6 everyone. I'm going to go hit the Facebook page now and write down a ton of meal ideas :)

@Mountain Girl Thanks! My mom is supportive and trying to eat clean herself (although not whole30). My dad said he is impressed that I am doing it but he can never go without bread at any meal. My brothers just like to tease but it does make it hard. I live in my own apartment, but I was home for the weekend. I am not the grad student at Carolina. I live in MN. :) Good luck with your half marathon! I ran one 2 years ago but I wasn't eating whole30 then. I'm planning on a marathon this year but not until October. 

On 3/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, KnykytaS said:

Day 4: I'm completely miserable about the things I can't eat. Physically I feel fine, no real bloating, "hangover" feeling either. My mood on the other hand is something way less desirable. 

Hoping this will pass and I'll feel better. 

KnykytaS do you feel any better?  I've had moments, but thankfully for the most part it hasn't been too awful.

23 hours ago, appalachiangiraffe said:

We had a major storm on Wednesday which left us without electricity until today! Talk about "adding insult to injury!"  I made it through with a campstove, compliant canned tuna, and olives.  I was pretty edgy yesterday, but when I read the timeline this morning, it ALL made sense.  Here's to the luxury of a full kitchen!! :)

Oh that is great work!  I would have let that stress me out I think.  And I would have lived on larabars :)

9 minutes ago, Elizabeth22 said:

@Mountain Girl Thanks! My mom is supportive and trying to eat clean herself (although not whole30). My dad said he is impressed that I am doing it but he can never go without bread at any meal. My brothers just like to tease but it does make it hard. I live in my own apartment, but I was home for the weekend. I am not the grad student at Carolina. I live in MN. :) Good luck with your half marathon! I ran one 2 years ago but I wasn't eating whole30 then. I'm planning on a marathon this year but not until October. 

What marathon are you doing?  I was supposed to run MCM last year and then just was so out of shape it wasn't going to happen.  I'm hoping to get back to my 1/2 marathons this year.

I have to say I'm starting to notice some positive changes! I didn't the first few days like some of you, and I still have a headache and some brain fog, but I noticed that I can turn my neck further than before! I had neck surgery three years ago and have a lot of scar tissue that interferes with it, which of course leads to a very stiff neck and bad headaches/numbing in my fingers and toes/etc.  So that what a big change that I was happy to see.  Granted I have a long way to go, but without question I can turn it further.  I also noticed I can now put my socks on standing up again!  I was at a point where I hurt so horribly that I couldn't do it.  It wasn't anything "getting in the way" - it was my back and neck hurt so bad I couldn't bend over.  I still felt "creaky", but I did it this morning - huge win.  It makes me miss Thai and Chinese a little less (marginally). 

I hope everyone had a good weekend! 

So I'm on day 6 and I've noticed when I wake up in the morning I have low energy and brain fog.  I'm sleeping well through the night or at least I think I am.  And I'm getting about 7-8 hrs sleep.  Am I missing something important?  Maybe not enough of a certain food?  My dinners are usually pretty full of a meat, veggies and a fruit on the side.  Breakfast is hard for me.  I don't have a big appetite in the morning. This morning I did a mashed sweet potato with a little almond milk, pecans and dates.  Midday to evening I start feeling better and have more energy.  What I have noticed is that I'm coughing less and feel a little relief with my breathing.  That is big for me. 

I also started on March 1st but had a hard time registering for this forum. I'm also noticing that I'm slower today. No problems the first few days but feel slow and hungry today. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, CarrieTampa said:

So I'm on day 6 and I've noticed when I wake up in the morning I have low energy and brain fog.  

6 minutes ago, Pene said:

I'm also noticing that I'm slower today. No problems the first few days but feel slow and hungry today. Any suggestions?

I think you are both right on track with the Whole30 timeline. According to the timeline, your body is struggling to adjust to the absence of the easy sources of energy it's used to accessing - namely, sugars. Hang in there & give your body a chance to learn (remember?) how to efficiently burn fat. Maybe allow yourself an extra cup of coffee or tea?

@Mountain Girl the stuffed pepper recipe is from the Whole30 book under fancy pants meals...the tapas recipes. I found it here: http://truefoodmovement.com/whole30-ribs-and-bell-peppers although the instructions vary slightly. Per the book, I roasted the peppers in the oven, peeled the skins, sliced, and filled with the shredded rib meat using a toothpick to hold them together until eating. It would be interesting to try them this way though. Also, I blended the broth before reducing it, so there was no need to pick out onions or anything else. The balsamic reduction is easy...one cup balsamic vinegar simmered on the stovetop until reduced by half. It should stick a bit to your spoon but still drizzle easily. Delicious! :)

@knykytaS and @Alia I had similar dreams too last night! I was also super angry in my dreams, yelling at my family and my boyfriend for abandoning me at a party in Italy where I didn't know anyone. Lol! I guess Kill All the Things days affected me more than I realized! :P

I'm now on Whole30-Day 6 after starting March 1st. I plan to work the plan through Lent.  I will be 45 in May and realized that I just needed a good reset.  I have been feeling sluggish and sore and know that I need to get some weight off.  I feel so much better already...more energy and I have been sleeping much better.  

Friday was a challenge as we have the Lenten Fish Fry at our parish...and I help with it each week. It was kinda rough watching everyone else chow down. I felt empowered as the night went on and it was a huge boost to know that I made it and didn't stray from my plan. I need to figure out more "away from home" options. I made guacamole and pico de gallo yesterday, so I brought a pseudo-taco salad to work for lunch today. Any other tasty, but easy to travel, ideas?

I also started on the 1st so I'm on day 6. After creeping around the forums for advice/info I finally decided to create a profile.  In general, I'm feeling pretty okay. The gym was a bit of a struggle this morning but not sure if that's due to poor sleep or being out of the gym for a while.

I'm thankfully not having the brain fog/headaches/grogginess that seems to be associated with this point in the program. I think it's probably due to the fact that for the last 3 years I've lived a mostly Paleo lifestyle and this Whole30 is a huge reset for me.  Regardless, I'm thankful.

1/5 of the way through. We can do this!

I definitely had some brain fog today. At the pool, I could hardly remember what set I was doing, what interval I had set, or what rep I was on. Thank God there's a big giant line on the bottom of the pool for me to follow or I might've gotten lost as well...

14 hours ago, Elizabeth22 said:

@SPeffer I'm doing the Twin Cities marathon. Honestly, I'm a little nervous just because it's been awhile some I've ran really long distances. I run pretty regularly but only 4-5 miles at a time. 

That's exciting!! I've heard that is a great one.  I'm just now starting to get back to running but I'm not even up to 4 miles yet.  I'm trying to take it slow and not get hurt this time, but I'm not patient :)  I'm sure you will be plenty ready by that time!

Day 7!  This is a tough one for me.  I'm at the how can anyone possible do this for 30 days stage!  I wanted oatmeal or cereal so bad this morning.  But I didn't cave.  I ate a bowl of fresh spinach with my deviled egg and some black olives.  It took awhile to get down.  Not that it tasted bad, my body was hungry but I just had a hard time eating.  I'm hoping for the I feel amazing stage soon.  Hopefully this will help motivate me some more. 

Archived