Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

Day 7 has been rough.  Thank goodness lunch time got here quickly because I was starving!  I brought a ground sirloin patty with onions and mushrooms and a fresh tomato and frozen carrots.  I feel much better now.  I was able to find some ghee last night at WholeFoods, so I put some on the carrots before I steamed them.  I don't know if it is the ghee or just the fact that I haven't had sugar, but the carrots were SO sweet...almost unpleasantly so.  Anyone else experience this?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alcazn said:

I don't know if it is the ghee or just the fact that I haven't had sugar, but the carrots were SO sweet...almost unpleasantly so.  Anyone else experience this?

I think the sweetness has two causes. One, cooking veggies often makes them sweeter (roasting more than steaming, but still). Two, your palate is adjusting to the absence of abundant sugar. This weekend, I made a dish called shakshuka for breakfast - it's eggs poached in a tomato-based sauce. I served it over roasted sweet potatoes & found the sweet potatoes were too sweet under the already-sweet tomato sauce. I served the leftovers over roasted regular potatoes & steamed spinach & it tasted much more balanced.

1 hour ago, CarrieTampa said:

Day 7!  This is a tough one for me.  I'm at the how can anyone possible do this for 30 days stage!  I wanted oatmeal or cereal so bad this morning.  But I didn't cave.  I ate a bowl of fresh spinach with my deviled egg and some black olives.  It took awhile to get down.  Not that it tasted bad, my body was hungry but I just had a hard time eating.  I'm hoping for the I feel amazing stage soon.  Hopefully this will help motivate me some more. 

I feel your struggles!

I'm on Day 7, too.  I had to talk myself out of sugar all day yesterday.  I'm proud that I didn't cave but it impacted the amount of work I completed.  I thought no snacking would make me more productive and it did for the first few days.  Now?  All I think about is sugar. So . . . I'm also at the stage of how do people do this for 30 days? 

2 hours ago, RabbitFood said:

I feel your struggles!

I'm on Day 7, too.  I had to talk myself out of sugar all day yesterday.  I'm proud that I didn't cave but it impacted the amount of work I completed.  I thought no snacking would make me more productive and it did for the first few days.  Now?  All I think about is sugar. So . . . I'm also at the stage of how do people do this for 30 days? 

I'm glad I'm not alone in my struggle. The funny thing is I never thought I ate much sugar.  But looking at it now sugar was in pretty much everything I ate.  WOW! What reading labels has done for me.  I just thought I love bread, but I think it really is the sugar I crave. 

How is day 8 starting for everyone?  Starting Day 8 seems to be starting a lot easier.  My mind is alot clearer.   I've been eating way too much fruit but legal on everything I have ate.  I still feel pretty bloated but going drink more water.  Hardest things to give up for me so far is my low calorie drink mixes & my morning yogurt. I'm at an advantage that I've got the house to myself for most of these 30 days.  I know would have to be really challenging  for someone who has to cook for others.  Going to splurge for lunch & have a veggie salad from subway & use my salsa for dressing.  Isn't it amazing how much sugar, corn starch soy & sulfites are listed in just about everything.  Hoping everyone is starting out feeling good & as motivated as I am this morning.  My goal for the next seven days is to limit my fruit & get more exercise.

Day 8 seems to be going better for me.  I have been pushing the water today.  I had a late start to my work day due to being stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours this morning.  I ended up having an apple and V8 for breakfast.  I am looking forward to the salad with steak/chicken with guac and pico that I brought for lunch. :)

1 hour ago, NanP said:

Isn't it amazing how much sugar, corn starch soy & sulfites are listed in just about everything.  

I've been very surprised at the ingredients in items that I would normally have eaten.  Many of these were items that I thought were good for me.  It's been an eye-opener, for sure.

Day 8!  @NanP I woke up feeling better, too.  I also woke up thinking I was two weeks in, not one.  Sad face . . .

But I am super happy to have completed 7 days!  And I have scheduled a little something special for Day 10, as suggested on the Whole30 site, to help get through the days that most people tend to quit.  

Anyone else planning something for days 10 and 11 to keep yourself motivated?

Yes It took me about two hours this am to realize I was only on day 8 also lol.  

Thanks for the reminder about something special for day 10.  I will read up on that tonight.  Day 10 & 11 will be very important especially because of it being the weekend.  As long as I'm at work where everything is more regimented I do better.  I am definately going to have a plan for this weekend & something special.  

You're right motivation is the key to stay with this.  

This will be interesting.  So far I feel relatively strong in my resolve.  Day 10 may concern me because it's on a Friday and that is without a doubt historically my worst eating day of the week.  I looked forward to Friday night JUST because I knew it meant a lot of unhealthy food. So wrong.   I'm not sure what to plan.   I definitely am motivated now and plan to keep it up.

Hi  everyone! I am also on day 8 now. Just had my dinner: zoodles with beef stripes, mushrooms and tomatosauce.  I am really a fan of zoodles now! Really delicious. My day was great just a Little bit tired. On my day ten I made an appointment at the spa for a relaxing facial treatment!

59 minutes ago, NanP said:

Jenny85 I have always meant to try zoodles but never have.  would b great for a change. How do you prepare them?

The easiest way to make them is using a spiralizer. I bought this spiralizer from Amazon about two years ago & I've been happy with it. Once you've got a pile of sprialized zucchini, I think Mel Joulwan's basic zoodles recipe is the best. If you have the time to follow all her steps (including a couple hours in the fridge), you'll get great zoodles. 

Easier option: look in your grocery store's produce area for pre-cut zoodles! My local grocery store chain (King Soopers, a Kroger affiliate) carries pre-cut butternut squash zoodles & a mixture of yellow squash/zucchini zoodles! They are obviously more expensive ($3.99 for 10 oz.) but they are also a HUGE time-saver.

Today I finally have some energy!!!! The last several days have been tough but yesterday was the hardest for me. I didn't sleep well so I started out the day really tired. The whole day was very much an emotional rollercoaster. I did manage to eat compliant and not fall into emotional eating which was the main plus in the day. By the end of the day I was physically and emotionally exhausted so I went to bed early. Today I have been able to start some spring cleaning and some make ahead meals. I hope this keeps up because I didn't like where I have been the past couple of days. 

I hope everyone has a great day 9 tomorrow.

Hi, I started my first whole30 March 1st.  So far everything is going fine.  Haven't really had any major cravings.  Do feel a bit dizzy at times.  I seem to have more energy, but also seem to not have any strength.  Very strange I think.  I just found this forum.  Is there anything else I should be checking out?  My sources have been limited to the "It Starts with Food" book.

Day 8! 

Had a hard time getting my protein in this morning at 4:30am. I made sure to at least fill up on my fat instead.

Lunch was leftover shepherds pie and was amazing. 

Dinner just isn't doing it for me. Made chilli but just don't like it and still hungry but don't have energy to make a new meal. Also out of eggs so I can't even do that. 

KynktaS I made the chili last week.  I added an extra can of diced tomatoes.  Seemed kinda bland so I probable doubled the spices & added some red pepper flakes.  Turned out really good.  But sometimes no matter what we prepare it just doesn't get it.  I know disapointing when we plan so well.  Hang in there

Day 9 is starting out pretty good.  Slept well last night.  Feel pretty good this am.  I have been getting in more exercise. I'm finally getting ok with black coffee.   I need to work on portion control & meal prep.  Going have to read up on the deadly days 10 & 11.  Going to make the salmon patties from the Whole30 book tonight for tomorrow.  Bought some tapioca flour last night.  I've used the coconut flour in recipes but it is really not to my liking seems gritty.  I hope everyone will have a great day 9.  

12 hours ago, alcazn said:

R1D8 - today was a good day, overall. I feel somewhat bloated or something. The only thing I have done different was the addition of ghee to my diet. Could this have done this? 

Some amount of bloating isn't unusual, but if it doesn't settle in the next day or so feel free to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake & we can take a look and see if anything jumps out - common culprits are too many nuts, or cruciferous veg such as cauliflower/broccoli/sprouts, or high FODMAP foods such as onion, garlic & avocado...

12 hours ago, Panna said:

Hi, I started my first whole30 March 1st.  So far everything is going fine.  Haven't really had any major cravings.  Do feel a bit dizzy at times.  I seem to have more energy, but also seem to not have any strength.  Very strange I think.  I just found this forum.  Is there anything else I should be checking out?  My sources have been limited to the "It Starts with Food" book.

Dizziness can be from a number of things - more often than not from not enough water, not enough salt, or not enough food in general. Are you salting your food & drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? What does a typical day of food look like for you?

Well day 9 has also proven difficult.  I couldn't get breakfast in this morning due to being up too early for work. I didn't want anything and I really mean ANYTHING haha. Thankfully I had a larabar in my pocket for when my stomach decided food was okay. 

I'm also not tired of eggs just hard boiled eggs sadly. Gotta work on that since that's my go to protein in the morning. 

Hope everyone is doing great so far!!!

15 hours ago, Panna said:

Haven't really had any major cravings.  Do feel a bit dizzy at times.  I seem to have more energy, but also seem to not have any strength.  

When I first tried Whole 30 (I'm trying for the fourth time I think), I got really dizzy.  I realized I wasn't eating enough food.  After I added another serving or two of fat the dizziness stopped.  Adding more fat to your meals might work . . . 

I also lose strength.  I feel so weak when I try to workout.  Unfortunately, I have found anything that works for that. 

I, too, have had a tough time working a morning meal into my schedule.  We have a limited setup at the office.  There is a microwave, toaster oven, and refrigerator.  No sink is available without trekking to the restroom.  I am able to make it work for lunch because I try to eat offset from others, but it's a busy area in the morning. Today has been better, so far, temptation-wise.  I have been able to stay busy at work, so that helps.

One thing that I have struggled with is Whole30 eating on my own.  I have a lot of support at home and work, so that is good.  Until now, though, we have been preparing separate meals at home.  My husband and I have four boys ages 13-20 (one is off at college), so it doesn't seem feasible to do this long term.  I made turkey breasts with red potatoes and onions last night for dinner.  I was able to get two of my boys to eat it...my hubby was bowling and the 13yo opted for leftover tacos instead.  We have typically eaten meals as a family, so this is a big detour for us.  

Archived