Starting March 1st

Taylor C.

3 minutes ago, Gypsy3n8 said:

Thanks, but does this have a quiche-like taste/texture?  That's how badly I loathe eggs.  Otherwise it sounds pretty good.  I wonder if something can be subbed as a binder for this, or just leave the eggs out altogether and make it like a hash kind of thing.

It doesn't really have a quiche texture or taste. The main tastes are the sausage & the spices. The main textures are the cauli-grits & the sausage. I don't know of another binder you could use, but I think it would work as a hash.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, 

I'm also starting a WholeLent. I've already done a whole30 last august, before a surgery, but they put me on a "no residue diet" after, which is basicaly grains, dairy and meat, and absolutely no veggie, and I put on a lot of weight (~7kgs). Three months after surgery, I can finally eat what I want, and I'm happy I can combine both Lent and Whole30. (they do not serve the same purpose, but it is no harm)

My last Whole30 went quite all right, and posting on the forum was a great help (even if nobody is reading :D). 

@SPeffer I am doing #WholeLent, and because I am gluten intolerant (and "replacement grains" also make me sick) I haven't taken communion in years. God and I have an understanding. ;)

I'll peruse my The Whole30 book and see if I can find an official quote for you from Melissa. I'd agree with MJ without actually having looked: I'm guessing Melissa would say that God is greater than the Whole 30. And always always always your choice.

I am doing this for the first time, ever!  Starting today.  I've loaded the house with necessities.  I am 48, 2 1/2 years out from a Gastric Sleeve and a wife and mother to two teenage boys.  I have had weight problems my whole life.  I lost 65 lbs on the surgery, but stalled at that point.  I would have liked to have lost an additional 30lbs.  My doctor suggested the surgery to help with my back pain, joint pain and arthritis.  I regained 20 lbs and started a low carb high protein diet.  I lost 10lbs and decided to get stricter with the Whole30.  A PA at my surgeon's office suggested it, as he had such luck with it.  My hope is all the claims that are made about this program are true.  I hope to lose weight and pain and gain energy and well being.  Good luck to all the others starting today!  I am excited and have the attitude that you can do anything for 30 days.   Here's hoping I can!

@Gypsy3n8 One huge mind-blowing thing to attempt is to realign your thoughts on what "breakfast" has to be. You can have ANYTHING (compliant) at any time of day, so maybe you could try Dinner For Breakfast and see how that goes for you!? The first time I was offered "dinner foods" for breakfast it completely weirded me out, but with Whole 30 and the "please don't make me eat eggs anymore" that happens to all of us, it's a viable option. Also goes right along with the idea that we always have a choice. 

Hopefully this helps. Carry on, egg-despising warrior. You got this. :)

@kirstenmichelle thanks.  I'm not averse to leftovers for breakfast, but my breakfast is usually eaten on the go, which is why a Larabar with a piece of fruit is perfect.  I'm up and out the door by 6AM, so I don't have time for a lot of AM prep or even really time to have a sit down breakfast.  I always have a snack at work around 9 and have lunch at 11, so today snack was apple slices with the almond butter, and I found myself sated enough to push lunch off until 11:30.

Since today is a fast day for Lent, I'm trying to eat small and will have a nice big piece of cod for supper :)

On 2/26/2017 at 4:21 PM, KnykytaS said:

I am also starting March 1st.

Sadly it's just me in my household doing it so cleaning out the cupboards isn't happening. It'll be nice to see other people's progress with the same start date. :)

I am also the only one in my house doing it.  But I went through the cabinets and fridge and put yellow dots with a big "X" on everything I can't eat.  It helps me to see what's available at a glance, and helps my hubby when he's cooking to know what he can and can't use if he wants me to eat his cooking. (And he wants me to eat his cooking!) 

Hi everyone, I am starting Whole30 today as well... I did my first Whole 30 last June with no cheats or slips!  Our house was on the market, but not selling.  The day I started Whole30 we got an offer!  So I got through selling the house, looking for and buying a new house, negotiating both contracts and scheduling a co-ordinated move without a drop of wine or chocolate.  However, we moved on July 12, and once the kitchen was packed up, and then unpacked in a different kitchen, all the habits I learned disappeared.  I need to restart the whole thing and this is the first month I think I have enough "space" to do it since moving.  I am looking forward to building on what I learned last summer and continuing this journey. 

33 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Those worried about communion might want to have a read at this thread where it is discussed at length.

TLDR: God trumps Whole30

Thank you!  That's what I felt, but wanted others thoughts as well - and thank you for the thread! We don't do communion weekly so at least it's only twice (I believe).

Hey everybody! I'm starting today too:) I have a question for maybe a Whole 30 veteran. I have been doing daily IF for awhile now, where I only eat for an 8 hour period each day from 11 am to 7pm and fast from 7pm to 11 am the next morning. I am planning on continuing this while I am doing the Whole30. Does anyone know is this is a bad idea for any reason? Thanks!

Hi all!  Excited to get started but like many of you this will be a complete change for me.  Basically all I eat now is bread, cheese, diet coke and red wine.  I have been trying to lose the last 15 pounds of baby weight for 8 years so I am hoping this is the answer.  I have not told anyone I was doing this except my husband so I am glad I found you guys to talk to and go through this with.  Lets make it a great first day!

37 minutes ago, Ike said:

Hey everybody! I'm starting today too:) I have a question for maybe a Whole 30 veteran. I have been doing daily IF for awhile now, where I only eat for an 8 hour period each day from 11 am to 7pm and fast from 7pm to 11 am the next morning. I am planning on continuing this while I am doing the Whole30. Does anyone know is this is a bad idea for any reason? Thanks!

Here's Melissa's take on it...

http://whole30.com/2015/10/fasting/

First day! Hope its going well for people.

I started my morning at 4am for work so I ate a banana with almond butter and a hard boiled egg before running out the door. I haven't decided what to have for lunch yet but I'm feeling pretty confident so far. :D

Talk about being thrown into the fire today! :wacko:  Of course on my first day they did a big "pot luck" lunch at work with BBQ pulled pork, cake, desert bars, and everything else under the sun.  

I got by thanks in part to some coworkers who have done/are doing w30 right now so one of them brought a compliant salad and another had roasted vegetables.  

It was a good test, but probably not the one I wanted to face on day 1!

I started the WholeLent today as well. I weighed myself this morning to get a baseline number. During past Whole30's I have missed the instant gratification of weighing myself everyday and watching the number go down. But I did feel free not to obsess about the number and focus on getting healthy. So I have put my scale away and I will be focusing on eating great food and those non scale victories they talk about. If you focus on all the positive aspects of this eating plan it really helps. Good luck to everyone.

If you read the Melissa link ^^ (jmcbn), the way most people interpret IF is simply skipping meals every day and tanking up during an eating window.  Skipping meals every day and saving them for an eating window is not intermittent.  It's a daily routine.

That doesn't do anything special for your metabolism over the long haul. The body is amazingly adaptive to anything you put it through.  Eating all the things in a few hours of time, the body will learn to adapt. Especially waiting until later in the day when the metabolism is naturally slowing down doesn't fix anything, especially hormones.

Today is day 1 for me. I'm still learning and researching a lot about the program, but I am looking forward to the health benefits that come from having a disciplined diet. Can't wait to get out of bed without feeling every joint!

3 hours ago, maryb828 said:

Hi all!  Excited to get started but like many of you this will be a complete change for me.  Basically all I eat now is bread, cheese, diet coke and red wine.  I have been trying to lose the last 15 pounds of baby weight for 8 years so I am hoping this is the answer.  I have not told anyone I was doing this except my husband so I am glad I found you guys to talk to and go through this with.  Lets make it a great first day!

Good luck! You can do anything you put your mind to:)

Hello everyone, 

I am also starting today. I have been pushing off starting but gradually making my pantry whole30 complaint for the last week. I used to eat at most two major meals a day previously and having to think about what I will eat is kind of stressing me out. I am afraid all my thoughts will be about food for the next few weeks. Aside that, I am excited. I decided that I will have 2 boiled eggs as my pre and post work meals. Does any one have some other non-process prework ideas. I swim once a week and I am usually really hungry afterward. I was drinking my hubby's protein shakes and that helped. 

I look forward to Whole March ! 

38 minutes ago, iyfe said:

Does any one have some other non-process prework ideas. I swim once a week and I am usually really hungry afterward.

I am also a swimmer & I don't eat a pre-workout snack. But I love, love, LOVE these Spicy Tuna Cakes for a post-workout snack. I wash 'em down with some Whole30-compliant kombucha, like GT's Gingerade.

Hi everyone- 

I started today as well. Already have a headache, lol! 

I've never been able to get past 10 or 11 days without sugar, and certainly not while giving up everything else as well! Stories are inspiring, however, and I look forward to that feeling of lightness and energy after the hump. 

Good luck, everyone. See you on Facebook too-

Archived