So... A while back I made this yummy chowder. Chowders are my go-to comfort foods. I had clams and I just wanted New England Clam Chowder.

I used 1/2 lb bacon (nitrate/nitrite free) cooked then diced and saved lavish on top

2 large diced onions sauteed in the delicious bacon fat (I did drain and save some of that goodness for a later date)

2 diced red peppers added to the fat and onions sauteing

3 long stalks of celery diced added to the fat onions and red peppers and all cooked until tender

2 cans of coconut milk pour into pot

1 half pint of clam broth pour into pot and bring to simmer

I had a bunch of young, not bigger than a large radish really, Hakurai turnips- they became the potato-like chunks in my chowder- once the coconut milk and broth is simmering, add diced turnips and simmer for 10-15 minutes

turn to low and add

1 pint of cleaned clams cook on low barely simmering for 1/2 hour, check flavor add salt and pepper as needed.

A shot of worcestershire in this is good- someone suggested lemongrass and lime juice to "Thai it up".

Edit- paleo worcestershire sauce- http://paleodietlife...condiments/#s10 using coconut aminos ;)

If you sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce in the paleodietlife recipe, it would work. I might just add fish sauce and coconut aminos to the clam chowder and give up on the worcestershire sauce.

I am having a hard time finding fish sauce without sugar...? Any thoughts or brand suggestions? I looked at the co*op and grocery stores.

I am having a hard time finding fish sauce without sugar...? Any thoughts or brand suggestions? I looked at the co*op and grocery stores.

Here is one that I can buy at WF or order from Amazon. It's incredibly good.

http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Fish-Sauce-40%C2%B0N-2-250/dp/B0037J1YO2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351436472&sr=8-5&keywords=fish+sauce

If the sugar is used up in the fermentation process and I believe fish sauce is fermented then would sugar be OK in the fish sauce? I have a huge bottle that I don't want to throw out if I don't need to.

I will let a moderator chime in but if it's added sugar, then it isn't okay. I have a bottle that I tossed but it was a small bottle.

So far I can't find any fish sauce here in the UK that doesn't have sugar :(. I've tried Amazon, ebay and all the usual suspects. Anyone know of any. I was thinking of using anchovy paste, which is just anchovies and salt and mixing it with some fish stock. I know it won't be nearly the same (I know how the Romans made garum) but thought it might give some flavour,

So far I can't find any fish sauce here in the UK that doesn't have sugar :(. I've tried Amazon, ebay and all the usual suspects. Anyone know of any. I was thinking of using anchovy paste, which is just anchovies and salt and mixing it with some fish stock. I know it won't be nearly the same (I know how the Romans made garum) but thought it might give some flavour,

Kirsteen, I have some here in Dublin (I got 4.5L (!) straight from the supplier, he has a sugar free one he supplies to trade) I could try send you some if you are happy to pay for your share (only €4 per 500ml) and postage?

Kirsteen, I have some here in Dublin (I got 4.5L (!) straight from the supplier, he has a sugar free one he supplies to trade) I could try send you some if you are happy to pay for your share (only €4 per 500ml) and postage?

That would be absolutely brilliant. Now if we can just work out how I pay you. Paypal would be the easiest if you have a paypal account. PM me and we'll see if we can work something out

Archived