Brain Food -- trouble concentrating post workout

km12021112

Hi! Today is Day 6 for me. I've been tweaking my post-workout meal a bit, and it worked well 2 days ago. Today my post-workout experience was a little different situation that I'd like some advice about. I have a weekly language class for an hour that requires a tremendous amount of concentrating, and I had a LOT of trouble today. I work one-on-one with the instructor, so eating during the lesson would be frowned upon, to put it mildly. Wondering if anyone has advice on changes I can make to give me an effective post-workout meal that will also keep me alert for my class.

I'll start with dinner last night: some beef sirloin roast, broccoli  with at least 2 thumbs of mayo, a good handful of roasted quartered little potatoes, and some apple slices.

Woke up at 7:15 this morning, M1 (also my pre-workout meal) at 7:30: 2 scrambled eggs with some sauteed broccoli and clarified butter, a little less than 1/2 small/medium avocado (gotta watch the pre-wo avocado or it sits in my tummy through the workout), coffee with coconut milk. 

Crossfit workout 9-10: Felt great actually! Excellent stamina, and felt pretty strong. No worse than pre-W30, and I think even a little better!

Post-workout between 10:15-10:30: 1/2 sweet potato, mashed, 2 egg whites. Had the same thing post-workout 2 days ago and didn't eat M2 until 1:00, and felt great!

Language class from 11-12. Given my experience with my post-wo meal last time, I thought I'd do well through my class. Not so much. I had a lot of trouble concentrating from the moment I walked through the door, and it never got better.  I was famished by the time the lesson was over, couldn't get home fast enough to eat my usual M2. Now I've been sluggish all day, which is different than the last few days and feels like I'm pre-W30 all over again!

Not sure what to do here. Eat more carbs post-wo? Eating much more of anything pre-wo would be too hard on my belly for my crossfit class, but I could try if you think it would help. Maybe add a fat just before going to my language class, but I doubt it would get absorbed fast enough to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and I only have about 20-30 minutes to shower and change between when I get home from the gym and have to leave for my class, so food choices would have to be super easy to eat!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

I'm not a nutritionist at all but it sounds to me like you maybe need to eat more post-workout esp protein? 2 egg whites isn't much at all. Any reason you're not eating the whole egg? That would boost your calories and give your body a little extra something to work on. Can you add an easy veggie to your post workout? For example, my post-workout meal used to be 3 boiled eggs, half an avocado and a large tomato and small cucumber sliced and sprinkled with salt and black pepper. The fiber from the veggies might help slow down digestion and keep your energy more steady? 

Hi Urnesha! Thank you for your response! Yes, I could easily add another egg or two. That makes sense! Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll think about what type of vegetable I could easily eat in the car on my way home from the gym (not a fan of cucumbers) in addition to my sweet potato. It probably would help. My understanding of the post-workout meal is that it shouldn't contain any fat, which can slow food absorption and delay restoration of muscle glycogen used during the workout. If it weren't for that, I'd totally add a good portion of fat (including yolks) to my post-wo meal! 

11 hours ago, km12021112 said:

My understanding of the post-workout meal is that it shouldn't contain any fat, which can slow food absorption and delay restoration of muscle glycogen used during the workout.

Yup, this, and muscle protein synthesis.

My guess is you're not fat adapted yet, hence the crash. Things should improve by day 10 or so...

Also, where are you in your cycle?

3 hours ago, rhed said:

Keep in mind the timeline -- days 6 and 7 tend to be "just let me sleeepzzzzzzzz" days. 

Of course! I haven't been checking the timeline, but that totally makes sense! Since I felt so good during my morning workout, I assumed my crash was directly related to my meals. 

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

My guess is you're not fat adapted yet, hence the crash. Things should improve by day 10 or so...

Also, where are you in your cycle?

Yup, yesterday was day 2 of my cycle. I never paid much attention to energy fluctuations with my cycle before, so that certainly could be related. 

So, sounds like I had the perfect storm yesterday: probably didn't eat enough, expected sleepiness of Day 6, not fat adapted yet, and cycle issues. Next week I'll eat more protein post-wo to see if it helps, but do you think once I'm fat adapted that won't be necessary?

Thank you all for your feedback!

Archived