Prescribed fiber supplement with maltodextrin

LookyLoo

My doctor prescribed a fiber supplement several months ago (before I started the Whole30). It has helped my extreme stomach pain tremendously, and I've always gotten a lot of fiber. (Maybe not as much as I would on the Whole30, but a lot.) Upon review, however, the supplement contains maltodextrin. Everything else is compliant. I take a very small amount each day, with water and apple cider vinegar. I'm loath to stop, based on how much better I have felt. Can I keep taking this, or am I better off cutting it out and hoping the Whole30 itself helps with the stomach pain?

• Moderators

If it's doctor prescribed, doctor's orders trump whole30 rules, so you can continue to take it.

That said, you might talk to your doctor to make sure that having more fiber than usual won't cause issues. You might need to adjust the dose or something. 

You might actually just want to try and complete the whole30 without the supplements unless your doctor said you will die without them then the whole30 usually alleviates many of the issues which likely caused your doctor prescribing these in the first place. Just a thought if you're eating enough veggies and other real foods you should be getting enough fibre and your system will reset naturally. 

2 hours ago, Paleo.girl. said:

You might actually just want to try and complete the whole30 without the supplements unless your doctor said you will die without them then the whole30 usually alleviates many of the issues which likely caused your doctor prescribing these in the first place. Just a thought if you're eating enough veggies and other real foods you should be getting enough fibre and your system will reset naturally. 

Even if you're an actual doctor, it's not a good idea at all to go around giving out medical advice, @Paleo.girl.. Whole30 may help with any number of medical conditions, but to just suggest someone stop taking a prescribed medication is troubling. Extreme stomach pain isn't something to be taken lightly and no one should stop taking anything prescribed by their doctor without first consulting that doctor. 

1 hour ago, laura_juggles said:

Even if you're an actual doctor, it's not a good idea at all to go around giving out medical advice, @Paleo.girl.. Whole30 may help with any number of medical conditions, but to just suggest someone stop taking a prescribed medication is troubling. Extreme stomach pain isn't something to be taken lightly and no one should stop taking anything prescribed by their doctor without first consulting that doctor. 

Yes you are right I never claimed to be a doctor and I also mentioned that it was a thought and was something they MIGHT want to consider. 

Archived