Hubby with Severe Constipation

The past couple months, my husband is having severe constipation. He did a Whole 30 with me in July and was very happy with the results; though he really has no weight to lose. He's on some meds for BP (which I wish the doc would adjust for his weight changes since July). He's in good health and walks 4 miles regularly, though he's recently retired and enjoys spending much of his day in a chair reading a book.

He is the classic hub who only eats when someone else cooks for him. If I didn't fix him a green salad regularly, he would eat meat and potatoes or bread at every meal.

The past couple months he's had some agonizing episodes of constipation. Yesterday he was pretty much a wreck. I wonder if I need to get him on bran and probiotics. It's worrisome.

Stephanie

• Moderators

Does he eat vegetables and drink water to the recommendations?  You've been around these forums for a while, so you know we'll ask to see what he's eating and see if there's anything we can do to help... if he's eating his Food Freedom, then it will be difficult for us because we generally don't dispense advice on what people are eating in their after whole30... it's so personal that it's difficult for us... that said, did he do re-intros?

If I only ate meat and potatos and an occassional green salad, I would probably never poop again... maybe go back to the template and make sure the veggies and fat are up to speed.

• Moderators

Take a step back and remember you're NOT his mom, he's an adult and if he doesn't appreciate being agonizingly constipated, then he needs to change something... YOU trying to change something is not going to be effective.  Make more veggies available (if you're the cook in the duo) and then let him do his thing... 

Archived