the inactive ingredients in my prescription depression medication are W30 noncompliant... help!

Lysandy

Hi, Lysandy (new Whole30er) here... but for what it's worth I successfully completed a similar (but different!) program about 5 years ago that was for 21 days... and felt awesome!  {I include that simply to give some context to where I am in starting my W30.}  Since then, I've mostly returned to a semi-SAD diet with probably above average amounts of whole foods peppered in.  I have a HUGE sweet tooth (chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite slash weakness), and have probably indulged in at least one "dessert" a day every day for as long as I can remember...

Life+some choices I've made have contributed to much higher than "normal" emotional stress levels over the last few years, and long story short, last November (2016) it was recommended (URGED) by my therapist that I start some sort of antidepressant medication.  This was not the first time it had been recommended, but it was the first time that I actually surrendered.  I started on generic Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) 10mg a day and planned to go up to 20mg once my body had been "primed" after a week or two... which was sort of my idea based on some things I had heard about initiation of SSRIs considering my BMI of 20 (a.k.a. on the lower end).  Once I felt "stable-ish" on 10mg, I tried to go up but, frankly, could not tolerate 20mg AT ALL as in: experienced severe side effects.  Eventually, I resolved to remain on 10mg as I had begun to feel my depression symptoms lift even on a "half dose."  Also, for what it's worth, I did switch generic brands after about a month upon sharing my concerns with my Nurse Practitioner... and experienced a HUGE reduction in even the minimal side effects as well as an increase in efficacy at the same dose, so I do feel like the brand I'm on now (Teva Pharmaceuticals out of Israel) works best for me.

Fast forward to this past month... I've been able to take some giant leaps forward in putting some of the emotional pieces into perspective and embracing some more sustainable coping mechanisms... and I feel even more hopeful about what the Whole30 will bring about.  I honestly feel pretty good now (only 3 months after starting antidepressants) and would LOVE to discontinue taking them.  ESPECIALLY SINCE SOME (ALL?) OF THE INACTIVE INGREDIENTS IN THE BRAND I TAKE ARE NONCOMPLIANT.  I just looked on the manufacturer's website and they are as follows... (boldness added by me for ingredients that stuck out right away as noncompliant)

Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Pregelatinized Corn Starch, Simethicone, Gelatin, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Blue #2, Black Iron Oxide, Antifoam DC, Soya Lecithin, Shellac

So my question is... WHAT TO DO?!  should I take this as my cue to go off?  Obviously, I know any advice I receive on this forum can't be taken as "medical advice" but I genuinely just want to hear some perspective from anyone who may have been in a similar situation.  I truly believe my depression is in part related to my current diet, and I'm finally ready to find out for real.

Last little bit of {perhaps} relevant information: I am a Registered Nurse who believes that food is medicine, even though I haven't practiced what I preach very well lately!

• Moderators

Doctor's orders trump Whole30 rules, so it is absolutely okay to take your medicine.

As an RN, you know the drill with any med -- talk to your doctor. Don't just stop. Many antidepressants require a step-down period or you risk rebound depression (been there, done that, because I stubbornly thought I was fine to just stop taking them -- this is definitely not a good idea, don't do it). Talk to your therapist and your doctor about why you want to stop and what would be the best way to go about it, and what to watch for to make sure it's going well or what signs would mean this isn't the best time for you to try to go off of them. And keep in mind that Whole30 can be added stress in your life, so it might even make sense to do the Whole30, figure out where you're going food-wise afterward, and then work on coming off the meds, just in case the extra cooking and extra food restrictions are enough stress that you might need the extra help of the meds to keep you going on an even keel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Lysandy!

My first Whole30 was four or five years ago, and I've been cleaning up periodically with them ever since.  From the first time to now, I have always stayed on my psychotropic meds.  Everyone is different, but for me, the effects of going off of depression medication are quick and brutal.  Lotta people have lotta opinions on the meds (I take Prozac too, and some others), but it is dangerous to stop taking SSRIs without your provider's supervision.

That said, for me at least, the small amount of non-compliant ingredients in my meds did not alter the effectiveness of my Whole30s.  Without fail, between 14-20 days, I get the Tiger Blood.  All of my other ailments - chronic pain, brain fog, bloating, water retention, headaches, dysthymia - all but completely disappear.  (It's hard to make chronic pain go away completely, but it stopped interrupting my functionality and activity.)

I think the Hartwigs have something to say about noncompliant medication fillers in ISWF and Whole30 books.  Basically, do what your doctor says.

Good luck, and most of all be well!

Ange

I've also been on an SSRI that has noncompliant ingredients. I did not stop taking it (or my antihypertension medication that also has noncompliant ingredients) despite feeling SO MUCH BETTER during each of my three w30s that I completed in the past year. Obviously it's between you and your healthcare provider, but for me, as @Angela Poliquin said above, not taking the prescribed medications has and can cause more issues for myself (and maybe for you, but again, it's up to you and your provider to decide) that I'd rather just stick with the small amount of noncompliant additives and benefit from the overall action of the SSRI etc.

Archived