Day 8-Horrible stomach pains

Woof. This is my second run of Whole30. Things went pretty smoothly last time. Yesterday, day 7, I felt very nauseated while I was at work--I teach music lessons and right now am subbing for someone on maternity leave--longer days than usual, lots of flying by the seat of my pants, and really no way I can take a sick day. I muddled through the rest of my lessons and felt better for a while.

Sleeping last night was horrible. I was constantly awake with a horrendous stomach pain--it is not isolated in a certain area, kind of everywhere. It was similar to a feeling that one might get before they throw up--but a bit sharper pain and I knew I wasn't going to throw up. Still, it kept me tossing and turning all night. I'm stubborn and didn't want to take anything for it, though I did much later the next day--TUMS (I felt like I was breaking some rule since they obviously have sugar) and Tylenol. I went to the bathroom once, but nothing drastic really.

The next morning, today, day 8, was more of the same pain. I was in so much pain I couldn't imagine getting out of bed--and I didn't have to leave to teach until 1 p.m. so I stayed in bed essentially until then. At this point I could see a trend--the stomach pains came in spasms and then would go away for a while. One hit me while I was in the shower and it was very troubling.

I went to go teach and these stomach pains have been creeping up every half hour or so still. Trying to figure out if this is Whole30 related (my hope) or not....I'm very worried it's something different and that I'll have to get treatment of some sort. I just turned 26 and because I'm self-employed I was covered under my parents, and while I plan to have ACA coverage, it doesn't start until the beginning of the new month--so for now I have no insurance.

I did eat a few foods yesterday that I hadn't in the past 7 days. I've been eating Larabars fairly regularly as a snack, but yesterday had two--realizing I might have overdone it on the sugar/fiber. I also had two W30 approved Italian sausages and sauerkraut, and while normally I love sauerkraut, neither of these things really made me feel great as I would have expected.

I didn't eat until 2 p.m. today, and then forced myself to eat--I wasn't necessarily hungry, but food didn't seem like it would make things worse. After eating some eggs, chicken, nuts, and fruit, I feel about the same.

If this is a digestive issue, how long will it be before it passes? I am definitely a bit panicked about what might be wrong. I have a strong immune system and when I get sick, like the flu, it's full on awful stomach flu--so I don't think I'm sick in any sort like that. I did get my flu shot and while I work with kids a lot, it's just so rare my health takes a huge beating. I'll say this--I ate HORRIBLY before whole30. It was getting so out of control. Pizza several times a week, multiple bagels a day, just lots of bread, very carb heavy and very few veggies. I just kind of assumed that by day 8 my body would be used to how many veggies I've been eating, rather than bread.

7 hours ago, singingsarah said:

I've been eating Larabars fairly regularly as a snack, but yesterday had two-

I believe herin might lie your problem.

Larabars are chock full of dates & nuts. Dates are HIGH in sugar, nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system. Combined in a bar and eaten regularly they're not doing you any favours. Add to that the nuts you mention later in the day & I think you can see where I'm headed.

Ditch the bars, ditch the nuts & stick to real foods.

Larabars are approved for emergency use only. Snacking is NOT an emergency. Needing to snack is an indicator that your meals aren't big enough. If you do need to snack opt for two of the three macronutrients - protein & fat is your best option (maybe a hard boiled egg with mayo), but you could have protein & carbs, or carbs & fat. Even a pouch of olives would tide you over if you were really stuck.... THen make your meals bigger going forward.

Hope this helps.

Archived