Acid Reflux developed on Whole30

I am on day 27 of my first Whole30 ever.  I seem to have actually developed acid reflux while on Whole 30 and today was prescribed Omeprazole.  Complicating this is the fact that I have a brain tumor in my nerve canal so my gamma knife surgeon asked me to see an ENT to determine if this was tumor related or something else.  I don't have heartburn.  I have a large lump in the bottom of my throat which won't go away and may actually be a complication of the tumor in the event that the gamma knife surgery did not work. But in the mean time going on an acid reflux med today.  I am wondering if it's possible to develop acid reflux after starting the Whole30 and if there is anything that I might be doing that would actually start that problem.  Are there things on the Whole30 that I should not be doing and might have caused the acid reflux?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is there anything I should be avoiding or adding that would help with this?

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Whole30 at 60 said:

.  Are there things on the Whole30 that I should not be doing and might have caused the acid reflux?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is there anything I should be avoiding or adding that would help with this?

It is extremely unlikely that you developed acid reflux from Whole30, however none here are doctors, so it's not for us to say.

You ask if there are things that you should not be doing and things you should be adding or avoiding but we have no frame of reference to know what you've been doing or eating.. if you would like directed advice, please provide 3-4 days of your meals including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat, meal timing, fluid intake and anything else that seems relevant.

Each time I'm eating whole30 style I develop some symptoms of GERD. In my case it is also not heartburn but persistent cough during eating and irritated throat, sometimes dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)and the feeling like a have food stuck in my esophagus. I did a lot of research trying to understand what it is and found out it could possibly be difficulty with digestion in the stomach. I introduced HCL and pepsin and digestive enzymes and strong probiotics and the problem seemed to decrease a lot. 

Your story looks like completely different calibre than mine but I'm just sharing it with you. Hope you can find an explanation for your symptoms. 

• 8 months later...

I have had symptoms of laryngopharyngeal reflux in the past.  I do not have typical GERD symptoms of heartburn but rather just the burning in the back of the nose.  When I first developed this a few years ago, I had many symptoms that you get with oral cancers -- pain under tongue, coughing, sore throat for several weeks -- but turns out it was this type of reflux (whew).  It was controlled with ranitdine and raising head of bed.  Eventually, completely resolved.

I was on the Whole 30  anti-inflammatory for 3.5 months before adding anything into my diet.  In the last month of that, I developed the laryngopharyngeal reflux again -- really horrible rush of acid feeling in the back of my nose anytime I bent over.  

But it has improved some -- and I'm trying to understand why.  I actually have added some foods back into my diet -- and I guess my stomach likes it.  I had purchased Betane with HCL that my doctor wanted me to try but haven't tried it yet.  Frankly, just thankful for the relief but sometimes a puzzle to understand why.

I'm a long time sufferer of GERD / acid reflux and occasional food choking / hard swallowing.  Been on Prevacid for many years, and different meds for the choking.  While the choking has been under control without meds for some time now, I have not had any reflux issues while doing W30, (day 32) and stopped taking meds for it on day 2.

I've long suspected that mine was from something associated with wheat and/or sugars.  None of my doctors on this had ever asked what I was eating nor suggested an elimination  trial to figure it out!

Sorry to hear that some are dealing this while on W30.

• 7 months later...

I also started getting acid reflux as soon as I started this diet. I taking enzymemedica digest gold with meals. I eat melon for breakfast. Followed by eggs and spinach scrambled together. And chicken or steak with brown rice and salad with fresh homemade slasa (for a dressing) at night. My snacks are papaya, kelp, carrots, walnuts. I am using coconut aminos, ghee (quiet a bit), dulse, and salt and pepper. 

I drink between 2-4 liters of water a day. I do coffee enemas every other day or every three days, depending on the ammount of discomfort I have from detoxifying. I am also using castor oil packs, so far: liver, pancreas, kidneys

I am on day 5, been having acid reflex since day 1. 

I am taking aloe by mouth to soothe the acid reflux. Evern still it gets so bad that I can't sit, or lay down. I also avoiding eating because this aggrevates it, which I am sure is not intended by this cleanse (not a fast). I am almost always in constant pain, and tbh I don't think that all this stomach acid in my esophagus is healthy even if I am detoxifying the rest of my body. There is clearly something a miss. Please advise. 

• Moderators

@Jentheken I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Unfortunately, no one here is a doctor, and I think what you're experiencing is beyond the scope of what we can help you with. You are right that having stomach acid in the esophagus because of the reflux is not good, and can cause damage to the esophagus, which is why you might want to speak to a doctor, so that they can help you with that. 

Specific to Whole30, rice is not allowed. The meals you have listed don't seem to have any fat, which is part of the meal template (which you can download here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/). Nuts of any kind can be hard on the digestive system, so it's best to limit them to a small closed handful every other day or so. Meals should keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time, but if you find yourself hungry between meals, try to have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables or at least two of the three. I do not know to what extent these things are affecting your reflux issues, and again, I would really recommend speaking to a doctor and getting that under control as soon as you can. 

Archived