Traveling to Asia for funeral while on Whole 30 - need advice!

bridetobewhole30

I need help figuring out how I can stick to Whole 30 while on a trip in Asia!

I suddenly need to book a trip to Asia for the funeral of a close relative, in the middle of my first Whole 30. I'm nervous because I know there aren't Whole 30 appropriate restaurants there, and it is difficult to get Whole 30 type food even at the outdoor markets or grocery stores there. I won't be able to read ingredients lists and labels. I'll be with relatives the entire time and we'll be eating out for every meal, and most, if not all, places won't have Whole 30 options for me. I know my relatives won't understand Whole 30 or my reasons, and it will be a struggle to explain why I am being difficult. They are also all in mourning so I don't want to be too much of a hassle, as they have to drive me around everywhere and feed me. I know everyone's priority is the funeral and everything related to the passing of my relative, and I feel guilty for still wanting to prioritize Whole 30; I know it will cause trouble and headache for everyone but it's important to me to stick to it even in the midst of what's happening.

Any suggestions for what I should do? Should I just buy a ton of Whole 30 approved beef jerky, Lara Bars, nuts, and bring those with me and eat them for the entire week(s) I'm there? 

Hi- I live in the Middle East and I just completed my first whole30.  During that time, we travelled to Taipei for my nephew's wedding.  It wasn't difficult finding food that worked-there were a lot of fresh steamed veggies and fish options!  Very few people spoke English, but when we went out, a member of our entourage was able to make sure things had no msg.  I think you should be fine, provided you stick to fish and fresh veggies-bring some nuts, beef jerky (if you must) and Lara Bars just in case, but try to eat fresh.  I think you may be pleasantly surprised (especially if you are going to Taiwan...)

Hello. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to your and your family.

I just came from living in China for two years. There were lots of markets with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, some even organic. As awareness grows, we began to find more and more farmers who insisted on feeding their livestock a natural diet. At restaurants and local friends homes, I would eat meat or fish and some vegetables, skipping on the rice or noodles, and no one thought anything about it. Honestly, I had a harder time when I was trying to be a vegetarian because I was always asked to explain why I did not want meat. The biggest thing for me in China was that some restaurants loaded the food with salt; therefore, I was always watchful for that practice.

Have a safe trip!

Archived