Day 25 help...

Dtmoen13

I'm on Day 25 and last night I made Danielle Walker's scrumptious chicken curry from her 2nd cookbook...which I would highly recommend by the way! 

Hope this isn't TMI, but this morning I noticed that with my "digestion", that the peas were not fully digested. I suddenly had a sinking feeling that peas might not be compliant. I rushed to reread the Whole30 section on legumes and to my horror, realized that peas are a legume. WTH, I completely assumed (my first mistake) that they were grouped with compliant green beans, snap peas, etc. I learned my body doesn't fully digest peas, but have observed no other side effects. After this disaster (yes, it definitely feels like an epic disaster after 25 days of squeaky clean eating, no slips, no mistakes), I'm left with feelings of anxiety as to what I should do next. Do I restart (please no!!!!!), add an extra day, or continue on through my last 5  days with the lessons learned about assumption and legumes? Thanks so much for your help!

Danielle

You're not going to want to hear this but, as you've discovered, legumes are quite the gut irritant, and your reset has been reset regardless of what anyone says here about whether you start over or not.

If you're here to determine what foods do and don;t work for you going forward, and had planned to carry out a strict reintroduction then the absolute best I could suggest at this stage would be to wait 30 days from today before you try any legumes again (it's likely not all legumes will cause the same reaction), and hold off on ALL reintroductions until after day 30 (obviously), but also until your gut feels to have totally settled.

Will your results be compromised? Quite possibly.

Ultimately you get to decide though - have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. Before whole 30 I ate a fairly strict paleo diet. I'd realized that beans were a gut irritant due to gas, bloating and cramping, so I've completely avoided them. This goes for peanuts as well, not because I've noticed any irritation but because I prefer almond or other compliant nuts. You mentioned that "legumes are quite a gut irritant" for me. Is this because they weren't fully digested? I'm interested after another 30 days, like  you suggested, whether or not those legumes are a no go for me not only because of the taste, but also because they are an irritant. I will wait another 30 days to reintroduce legumes and continue with my regularly scheduled reintroduction for the other foods. Thanks again for your help!

Archived