Starting Monday-2/27 First Time!

Foodie on W30

It's day 1 for my wife and I, and so far so good. We've had black coffee for her and coffee with coconut milk for me; not bad.

Frittatas for breakfast and protein salad for lunch. Pretty much following the 7 day meal plan from the Whole30 book.

We also made mayonnaise and ranch dressing; so seems like we're off to the races. But I can't believe that my head's actually in a fog. Day 1 and signs of withdrawal already; unbelievable. I'm sure it's not the altered diet though.  I had a brutal headache Tue night and it's been a background ache since then so my current state is probably more to do with that. Who knows?

My wife's just returned with the groceries and we're - actually she's - preparing dinner and I'm observing. You know, just in case she's trying to poison me. Married 29+yrs and never been poisoned yet.

Oh, we're in Calgary and it's 5:30pm.

i'm starting tomorrow as well - nervous (about ability to commit) and excited (about how i'll feel back off 'junk')!  when i've done similar 'cleanses' in the past, i drink a BUNCH more water and pop and occasional aspirin when the headaches come....  i used to just 'gut it out' but decided it was better to 'take the edge off' - for me.

would be delighted to give and receive support!

So we're going to be 2 days ahead of you which will hopefully prove beneficial, and I'm following a couple of w30'ers that are 3 days ahead of me which is proving helpful and supportive.

Here's my summary below:

My wife and I start today.  We've had black coffee for her and coffee with coconut milk for me; not bad.

Frittatas for breakfast and protein salad for lunch. Pretty much following the 7 day meal plan from the Whole30 book.

We also made mayonnaise and ranch dressing; so seems like we're off to the races. But I can't believe that my head's actually in a fog. Day 1 and signs of withdrawal already; unbelievable. I'm sure it's not the altered diet though.  I had a brutal headache Tue night and it's been a background ache since then so my current state is probably more to do with that. Who knows?

My wife's just returned with the groceries and we're - actually she's - preparing dinner and I'm observing. You know, just in case she's trying to poison me. Married 29+yrs and never been poisoned yet. She's also making a scoby for Kombucha.

Dinner consisted of prefect ground beef / Italian seasoning tomatoe (awesome) / with roasted spaghetti squash. This dish was super popular. All the kids that were home thoroughly enjoyed it and there was even enough to for me to squirrel some away for a lunch next week.

Kicked back with a movie and drank water and a little Kombucha; the end of Day 1 - we're killing this.

Day One for me, too. I'm feeling good about it. I've been feeling so 'bleh' lately so I'm looking forward to seeing how this impacts my energy and sleep.

To help minimize the shock, I cut out Splenda from my diet last week and already my headaches have improved. You don't realize sometimes just how bad these processed foods are for you!

I went to Whole Foods and Mariano's yesterday to get everything I might need for week one. I bit off a little more than I could chew in terms of meal prep so my breakfast today was a Larabar and carrots/guacamole, but I plan to make sweet potato home fries with green peppers and onions and Paleo Zesty Chicken Bites (from Lexie's Clean Kitchen) for the rest of the week.

I did manage to prep my lunches and dinners and picked up a variety of Coconut Water and LaCroix.

For lunches, I made 'Zoodles' with meat sauce and a spinach salad. For dinners, I baked sweet potatoes and made a Paleo chili. Everything looked and smelled great so I don't anticipate feeling deprived.

My biggest challenge is that I don't generally eat a ton of meat and I don't like eggs/mayo so definitely looking for new ideas for protein sources and breakfast ideas.

Good luck to everyone! You got this.

This is day 1 for me. I did a ton of shopping and a ton of cooking yesterday. Just LOVE the recipes. I generally eat quite a bit of carbs. Have seen a significant reduction in energy levels. My main goal to keep with the Whole30 is to boost energy levels..

I look forward to this

Great breakfast with broccoli/eggs/tomatoes

Lunch is packed

Dinner is prepped and ready. 

Hi, I was going to start on March 1st, but bit the bullet since I had my meal prepping to do yesterday.  So today I dove in.  I'm not feeling overwhelmed, which I hope doesn't mean I set myself up for failure by not.  I roasted chicken breast, butternut squash and broccoli in the oven last night for my lunches.  Today started with two eggs, sauted spinach and roasted broccoli.  Had a cutie for a snack.   And tonight is a roasted whole chicken with carrots/squash/broccoli/potatoes.  

The thing that keeps hanging me up is the potatoes.  I am so use to other diets that restrict potatoes in the first phase.  White potatoes are allowed in the reset, correct?

Erin, question about the Larabar.  Don't most of those have nuts as a base? I was going to buy some last night, but thought due to the ingredients it was not allowed.  Also curious, how did you make your meat sauce? I was looking for something to put on spaghetti squash, but with tomatoes being out I can't do the typical "spaghetti" sauce.

Best of luck!

wow!  i admire all your breakfasts!!  i'm not a 'morning person' so just had quick almonds, applesauce and blueberries....

and i thought both tomatoes and potatoes were okay!  neither are legumes or grains.  are you sure??  unfortunately, i don't have the book or cookbook yet - hoping to get them by the end of the week!  i was going to have a yam with dinner tonight but i can postpone if need be....

i'm excited and already proud of us for making it this far!!  (as i write, i think my first where's-the-caffeine-and-sugar headache comin' on.)

I found a ton of ingredients on Amazon, ghee, coconut aminos, Red Boat fish sauce. I'm going to try Winn-Co for bulk stuff. Nuts, unsweetened dried fruit especially.

We had slow-cooker pork lettuce wraps (from the Whole30 cookbook) on a salad with cilantro, red onion, grape tomatoes, avocado and salsa. Now I've got pork for lunch for both my husband and me. 

I made some trail mix to satisfy my husbands snack attack. I roasted raw almonds,, cashews and walnuts and added them to dried cherries, black currants and figs. I know snacking isn't really encouraged but if I don't make something he'll give up entirely. 

Im home alone tomorrow night so I'm going to try some recipes from Pintrest. There are so many great recipes - search Whole30 and 100s of recipes come up.

Adventures in the kitchen! 

Archived