Discovery on Day 25: Soy in my tea

Now what?

The herbal tea I have been enjoying every single day has soy lecithin in it. I only thought to check it after I'd seen a thread here about it.

To say I am bummed is to put it mildly. I am depressed. I feel like someone just stole my whole30 from me.

If nothing else, this whole experience has really opened my eyes to how polluted our food is. Makes me mad.

it's incredibly doubtful that the lecithin in your tea made a noticeable impact in your results. How are you feeling? How has the rest of your experience been?

ALWAYS CHECK INGREDIENTS. ON EVERYTHING. Nothing is safe. Srsly.

Nothing is safe. carry on!

On a somewhat unrelated note I used to take a tablespoon of soy lecithin regularly when i was breast feeding to prevent breast lumps! :o

Don't be too down about it Alana. I recently discovered that the sausages I ate on 3 previous rounds had sulphates :unsure: You know now and there will probably be more W30's in your future anyway.

• Moderators

I quit drinking Celestial Seasonings teas when I discovered that only a few varieties did not include soy lecithin as an ingredient. You'd think every herbal tea from a company would be made similarly, but nope, not with them.

Don't be mad at yourself. These things happen. Just focus on how you have the rest of your life to drink other delicious teas without even a small dose of soy.

Thank you all for your kindness.

Prior to whole30, I would drink coffee all day long (with arificial sweetner). The stupid soy couldn't have been as hard on my body as that was!

I've now got some compliant Safeway brand tea.

ALWAYS CHECK INGREDIENTS. ON EVERYTHING. Nothing is safe. Srsly

Indeed. I've learned my lesson, now. Yes, I do believe there are more whole30's in my future. At least I hope so. January anyone?

Alana - So sorry that happened. I remember actually spitting out a roasted cashew from Trader Joe's during my first Whole30 because I actually flipped the package over when getting some out for my kids and looked at the label - rice bran oil? WTH? I never thought to look since they were for primarily for my husband and they were just roasted nuts, but what a crazy discovery. FYI - watch out for the Candy Cane Green Tea at Trader Joe's when they bring it back for Christmas - zero grams sugar in the Nutrition Facts, but sugar is actually one of the last listed ingredients on the label.

I get annoyed at hidden ingredients like that but then I look at the positive - I will never make THAT particular mistake again because I will find an alternative and buy that from now on. Just like with Tom's example. I make such different choices now than I did before. I have changed brands on so many items in favor of a better, healthier, less processed choice. Or in the case of mayonnaise, I just make my own. All these little changes add up to a really big change over time so I am thankful for each and every one of these discoveries! I am currently doing Whole30 #3 and all that knowledge makes this one so much easier than the first one! Hang in there!

I have been craving apple cinnamon tea for like weeks and every time I leave the store I kick myself because I forgot. It's so easy to forget something in a box when you harldy leave the produce section....Anyway, I spent like 10 minutes in the tea/coffee aisle looking at ingredients. I was getting so pissed they all have soy! Whole Foods has an awesome tea section just FYI!

I have been craving apple cinnamon tea for like weeks and every time I leave the store I kick myself because I forgot. It's so easy to forget something in a box when you harldy leave the produce section....Anyway, I spent like 10 minutes in the tea/coffee aisle looking at ingredients. I was getting so pissed they all have soy! Whole Foods has an awesome tea section just FYI!

Thanks Laura--no whole foods or Trader Joe's here! Could you put a dash of cinnamon in some apple tea? Or a dash of unsweetened apple jiuce in cinnamon tea?

Archived