Hardest day yet.....

ASK1216

Today was the hardest yet - I'm still struggling to get through the hours until bedtime.  I have struggled with hypoglycemia since I was a child and most of the time I'm ok with it.  I've been doing well on my first full week of Whole30 - no major complaints.  I had a compliant although not template perfect breakfast this morning of eggs fried in coconut oil, whoke30 bacon, and shredded white potato cooked in ghee.  Well hello blood sugar spike - thank you Mr White potato!  Ok, lesson learned- no high glycemic veggies in the morning especially with the lack of other veggies on my plate.

my issue was the whole rest of the day my blood sugar was up and down.  And when my blood sugar is down - I dont get hungry or even crave sugar - I start to sweat and get confused and in the past I have fainted.   I had a good compliant, template happy lunch with apple to try and get my blood sugar up and it worked but then dropped again only a couple hours later.  I then had an RX bar - that helped the most to where I could remember where I was and how to get home.  But I've felt crappy the whole day.  

What can I do to even out my blood sugar when it's gone awry?? 

• Moderators

No one here is a doctor, so you might want to speak to your doctor about the best way to deal with this.

My guess is that if you eat large meals with lots of vegetables, fat, and protein, over time this will even out and you won't have spikes any more. Do you actually test your blood sugar levels? If you can, I'd recommend you do that at least for the first week or so, even if you're not in the habit of doing so in the past. If this is a very different way of eating for you, your levels may not be at all what you're used to, so monitoring them more closely may help you work out how best to put your meals together to keep your levels even throughout the day, rather than constantly trying to raise it quickly, and then dealing with the subsequent fall. If you're used to eating five or six small meals a day to keep your sugars even, trying to go to three meals a day is going to be a big change, and especially since it sounds like a low can sneak up on you pretty quickly, you need to do what you can to keep an eye on things so you're prepared to deal with changes before you end up confused or fainting.

Based on what you've written here, try a breakfast of protein, like eggs (as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand), fat (like bacon or avocado or olives), and lots of non-starchy vegetables (fill the plate with vegetables) -- broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini or summer squash, for instance, and see if that works better for you than the starchy vegetables in the morning. Also pay attention and see if your levels stay more even or less even throughout the day after a big breakfast like that. When you have fruit or starchy vegetables, pay attention to how you feel, and whether when you have them or what you have them with affects you so you can narrow down the best times to have those. You might consider keeping a food diary of some sort, not to track calories or anything, but just to note, this is what I ate, an hour later or two hours later, this is what I felt, so you can see exactly how foods are affecting you.

You might also google Whole30 hypoglycemia or Whole30 diabetes to see how other people deal with keeping their blood sugar levels even.

Archived