TeacherFitJourneyy

February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!  The daylight savings thing is messing with me right now!  I spent several hours in the kitchen today and it was a lot of fun actually.  I made compliant tzaziki sauce, the roasted red pepper sauce from the book and even made it again with olives instead of red peppers so it's like a tapenade spread.  I also sliced some potatoes nice and thin and baked them and they're kind of potato chip like which is a nice side that satisfies that need for a crunch.  Currently just waiting for my chicken cacciatore to be ready for dinner!  All in all this was a good weekend and by the end of the day tomorrow we are officially 50% of the way there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else not able to get Bon Jovi out of their head? "Half way there ohhhhh livin' on a prayer.."

Pretty excited to make it to the half way point! I woke up early today and I am in a great mood-perhaps some tiger blood has hit? I am going to add more exercise this week and see how I do. 

We went to our friends last night for dinner, completely unplanned. They let me prepare the chicken so it was compliant and made a salad. Easy to stick to the whole 30! (They had mashed potatoes, bread, cheese, wine and whiskey too, but it didn't bother me at all.) My friends thought I was wearing make up, and they asked if I had lost weight! That was lovely.

They also ate Twinkies for me (I literally walked to the store looking for seltzer water/anything compliant to drink and brought the Twinkies back requesting that someone indulge in my deepest darkest craving), they reported back that they were actually horrible. Now I am not craving them anymore! 

I hope everyone has a good day! I have to shop and prep today for the rest of the week. I am happy I made it through my weekend stretch at work without a hiccup. I want to try some new recipes, there are so many out there, any suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a few recipes out of the W30 book...chili, chicken cacciatore, banger sausage and sweet mash, halibut with citrus ginger glaze, frittata, grilled shrimp....all have been delish!  I have been trying to cook a few new recipes each week.  Since we are expecting a big snow storm here tomorrow, I will probably spend some time making something new..I had never cooked with ghee before either and I thinks it's good.  Made the pan fried steak...filets in ghee then in the oven.   Mmmmm good. .I have enjoyed the cooking and trying lots of new things...all part of the journey!   Yep..half way there...livin on a prayer...lol.  Good luck everyone and if you are in the northeat...stay safe & warm!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WE'RE HALFWAY, BABY!

I faced my first actual challenges this weekend. Or at least I thought they'd be challenges. Saturday morning I had a training at a five star hotel where they provided breakfast. I ate a big Whole30 breakfast beforehand, so once there I drank some nice compliant hot organic tea they had (ingredients listed, yay!) and drank a fancy obscure Italian sparkling water. It actually wasn't hard to avoid the food, and I wasn't even the only one not eating. Surprisingly easy!

Then Sunday I had a lunch with some friends of mine. We have a monthly meal club where we always try a new restaurant, but I just ate a big Whole30 meal beforehand and didn't eat anything at the restaurant. I thought I'd get more questions, but I only got two:

Friend 1: "Is that some vegan thing?" (My answer: a simple no). 

Friend 2: "Oh! Some of that food is really good!" (Me: Yes, it really is!)

And then, miracle of miracles, the conversation moved on and everyone forgot about it. 

Generally, I am finding food prep much less overwhelming. I guess at this point I've built up enough ingredients in the pantry and always have leftovers of one thing or another, so it's not so bad. No tiger blood yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohooo halfway done!!! :D I'm definitely seeing a lot of general health improvements so far (faster recovery time, sleeping so much better, skin is feeling clear, and more!) And saying no to non-compliant foods is actually so much easier!! I went to donate blood today and they had so many snacks I used to just eat mindlessly like cookies, gummy fruit snacks, and pretzels, but I didn't even a little bit feel like indulging. 

Definitely keeping my food choices interesting by making new recipes every week, here are a few of my favorites so far:

http://www.foodfaithfitness.com/sticky-slow-cooker-chicken-wings-with-pineapple-5-spice-sauce/

http://acalculatedwhisk.com/crispy-chicken-with-fig-and-shallot-compote/ (Figs are not in season here in CT, but I went ahead and topped this with softened shallots and a sweet onion and it was still soo good!)

And I also loved the steak recipe seared on the stove and finished in the oven from the book!

Have a great 3rd week everyone! And to everyone else who will also be hit with tomorrow's mountain of snow, stay warm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16

This week's meal planning was a little easier, and I didn't spend hours and hours in the kitchen Sunday so I'm either better organized or just less overwhelmed! 

I love the enthusiasm of everyone at this half-way point. I'm seeing changes too - my nails are stronger, I sleep much better. I think I'm still in vegetable deficit though, I can't seem to work enough of them into my menus. I wish my clothes were loser...

I know I've learned so much already, and been forced to try new things (like how to make dinner without including tortillas in some fashion!) I think what I've learned the most though is this is not a 30-day challenge. This is life. For me anyway, I'll never let sugar creep back in. I am an addict, and addition is a disease, whether sugar or other substance. I will most likely avoid bread of any kind, with only occasional tortillas (I live in Mexico part time, I can't give them up totally!) I used to have yogurt every morning, and even if it was plain Greek yogurt with fruit, I think that set me up for hunger later. Dairy will definitely be limited in my new life. But clean, real food is good food, and that is worth keeping for a lifetime of 30-days at a time!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Day 16

This week's meal planning was a little easier, and I didn't spend hours and hours in the kitchen Sunday so I'm either better organized or just less overwhelmed! 

I love the enthusiasm of everyone at this half-way point. I'm seeing changes too - my nails are stronger, I sleep much better. I think I'm still in vegetable deficit though, I can't seem to work enough of them into my menus. I wish my clothes were loser...

I know I've learned so much already, and been forced to try new things (like how to make dinner without including tortillas in some fashion!) I think what I've learned the most though is this is not a 30-day challenge. This is life. For me anyway, I'll never let sugar creep back in. I am an addict, and addition is a disease, whether sugar or other substance. I will most likely avoid bread of any kind, with only occasional tortillas (I live in Mexico part time, I can't give them up totally!) I used to have yogurt every morning, and even if it was plain Greek yogurt with fruit, I think that set me up for hunger later. Dairy will definitely be limited in my new life. But clean, real food is good food, and that is worth keeping for a lifetime of 30-days at a time!

Amen! :)

I totally agree about the sugar. This round I've learned how much sugar was fueling my cravings. It was out of hand. I feel SO much better without it and THEM. I don't want to go down that road again. 

What about corn tortillas BajaChick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So excited! I tried something new today... and the house smells so good! 

I've got sweet potatoes in the Crockpot. So easy and they are done ahead of time. All I did was wash and scrub them and put them in to cook on the 8hour setting. They were soft and done by the 5hr mark! I'll have one hot tonight and save the rest to reheat other nights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Melinaka said:
6 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Day 16

This week's meal planning was a little easier, and I didn't spend hours and hours in the kitchen Sunday so I'm either better organized or just less overwhelmed! 

I love the enthusiasm of everyone at this half-way point. I'm seeing changes too - my nails are stronger, I sleep much better. I think I'm still in vegetable deficit though, I can't seem to work enough of them into my menus. I wish my clothes were loser...

I know I've learned so much already, and been forced to try new things (like how to make dinner without including tortillas in some fashion!) I think what I've learned the most though is this is not a 30-day challenge. This is life. For me anyway, I'll never let sugar creep back in. I am an addict, and addition is a disease, whether sugar or other substance. I will most likely avoid bread of any kind, with only occasional tortillas (I live in Mexico part time, I can't give them up totally!) I used to have yogurt every morning, and even if it was plain Greek yogurt with fruit, I think that set me up for hunger later. Dairy will definitely be limited in my new life. But clean, real food is good food, and that is worth keeping for a lifetime of 30-days at a time!

Amen! :)

I totally agree about the sugar. This round I've learned how much sugar was fueling my cravings. It was out of hand. I feel SO much better without it and THEM. I don't want to go down that road again. 

What about corn tortillas BajaChick? 

Corn tortillas??  Do you mean after Whole30?  Corn is not allowed on the program and baked goods/chips/crackers are not either so corn tortillas would be a no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started Feb 27th while 3 of my coworkers started March 1st. I needed the Monday start so I could prep on the weekend. Things were going well till this week. I'm missing Mexican food for some reason but I don't feel hungry in between meals. I'm trying to plan for after Whole 30-incorporating some foods back in.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm struggling at this point. Week one was much easier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Corn tortillas??  Do you mean after Whole30?  Corn is not allowed on the program and baked goods/chips/crackers are not either so corn tortillas would be a no.

Yes, I meant AFTER W30 to incorporate corn tortillas into your diet (as opposed to flour tortillas). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Photogirly said:

I started Feb 27th while 3 of my coworkers started March 1st. I needed the Monday start so I could prep on the weekend. Things were going well till this week. I'm missing Mexican food for some reason but I don't feel hungry in between meals. I'm trying to plan for after Whole 30-incorporating some foods back in.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm struggling at this point. Week one was much easier! 

Hang in there Photogirly! Week 2 is hard for just about everyone. Get past this and you'll be so happy you did. It gets easier. Promise! 

As for Mexican foods - why not eat things that will satisfy your craving? There are plenty of compliant things you can make or eat. I found a delicious salsa that has no sugar and a whole lot of heat. It's delicious. I put it on eggs. You could put it over cooked chicken breast. I even use it as salad dressing. 

You could make all the sauteed veggies that go in fajitas then saute the meat in the pan with the liquid and spice from the veggies. Put it all together and eat minus the usual fajita starch... still delicious! Once the cravings for the bad are out of your system, you won't miss them so much. Maybe not at all with how good you find you feel! 

You can do this :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16! So happy to be over the halfway mark, although I must say that I feel like I've really settled into this now. In my normal every day life, I'm finding it quite easy to stick to this now and...on the weekend I had a taste of Tiger Blood, woohoo!

The tricky bit is definitely doing things with others. This past weekend we had a wedding of a good friend and so went away for the weekend. I was very good and thought through what I would eat before we left and took lots of food and my own mayo, roasted sweet potato and other bits with me to make sure I wouldn't be tempted. But goodness the smell of the warm bread that the others we were staying with were eating and the chips while waiting for the barbeque were so enticing. I was very proud of myself for staying strong and then especially at the wedding, saying no to wonderful desserts and pastries. Luckily there was still quite a bit that I could eat! I've actually found now that it's easier to say no to things than I thought it would be.

And on the wedding dance floor...TIGER BLOOD! I danced crazily for hours and I think converted a few people into trying the Whole30 in the process!

Well done everyone! Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16, everyone! Bring on the Tiger Blood! :D I've been steadily feeling more and more of it the past couple of days. Just for funsies I tried getting a little less sleep last night, just to see if I would still have this unlimited energy. And sure enough, even with 6 hours instead of 7-8, I feel great! Anyone else pretty sure they're developing super powers...? Just me? Let's keep going strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to say I have a cold. Not too terrible but wretched nonetheless. Here in coastal New York the much anticipated Nor' easter is mostly rain and ice. So todays menu includes bone broth. 

I am thrilled to have made it to day 16!!! I have survived my grand son's pizza and cake birthday party ( I ate before I went ). 

It  has been very nice having my daughter and son in law doing this with me. And My husband does not mind it at all. Though he eats chocolate with his coffee every morning, he has lost five pounds. I am not weighing myself but feel lighter. 

But alas. no tiger blood as of yet. I have not lost hope tho. Just want to survive this cold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 16!!!

Daylight Savings Time has messed with me, and I'm pretty tired right now. However, I think that should straighten out in the next day or two. At least I hope so. 

I am not feeling the tiger blood yet, but I have noticed that my nails are stronger. I'm a lifelong nail biter, and my nails have always grown in weak and with ridges and stuff because of the years of biting them. However, since starting W30, my nails have grown in stronger than ever, and they are completely smooth! So, as a treat to myself for making it halfway through the program, I gave myself a manicure, in a brighter color than I normally go for. I'm feeling more confident in myself, and I no longer feel like I have to do what everyone else is doing to be happy.

Let's hope I keep that attitude this weekend. My fiance and I are planning to go out and celebrate St. Patrick's Day with our friends, and that means going to a bar. I'm the only one who won't be drinking, so we'll see how hard it is for me to keep that attitude then. However, my fiance has been very supportive of me doing this program, and he's constantly making sure I'm sticking with it and not doing or eating things I'm not supposed to. He's already reminded me that I can't drink this weekend.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, marthab said:

Sad to say I have a cold. Not too terrible but wretched nonetheless. Here in coastal New York the much anticipated Nor' easter is mostly rain and ice. So todays menu includes bone broth. 

I am thrilled to have made it to day 16!!! I have survived my grand son's pizza and cake birthday party ( I ate before I went ). 

It  has been very nice having my daughter and son in law doing this with me. And My husband does not mind it at all. Though he eats chocolate with his coffee every morning, he has lost five pounds. I am not weighing myself but feel lighter. 

But alas. no tiger blood as of yet. I have not lost hope tho. Just want to survive this cold. 

Sorry about that.  I've been battling some head/nasal congestion for the last 2 weeks that worked its way through my home and my team at work.   I thought I might miss out but didn't.

I made the "best chicken" from the Well Fed cookbook.  It's pretty simple but it is the best chicken ever! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mandab17 said:

Let's hope I keep that attitude this weekend. My fiance and I are planning to go out and celebrate St. Patrick's Day with our friends, and that means going to a bar. I'm the only one who won't be drinking, so we'll see how hard it is for me to keep that attitude then. However, my fiance has been very supportive of me doing this program, and he's constantly making sure I'm sticking with it and not doing or eating things I'm not supposed to. He's already reminded me that I can't drink this weekend.....

We are having a St Paddy's Day party at our house on Friday! So I totally feel your pain.  But I stocked up on La Croix's and that will be my treat for the evening!! Good luck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16 has been extraordinarily difficult for me. Currently battling a nasty stomach bug. Since the taste, even the smell of any protein is off-putting, all I've had today was a mashed potato with sea salt and olive oil and homemade applesauce. 

I'd welcome any recipe recommendations that will help me stay on track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, beckyisgrace said:

Day 16 has been extraordinarily difficult for me. Currently battling a nasty stomach bug. Since the taste, even the smell of any protein is off-putting, all I've had today was a mashed potato with sea salt and olive oil and homemade applesauce. 

I'd welcome any recipe recommendations that will help me stay on track. 

Can you put some bones in a crockpot and make some bone broth?  That would be the best for your stomach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good but I found this is the comments on that website....too much like a fake baked good....but I would definitely try it after day 30 when I will be trying to,stay whole30'ish.  Happy day 18 for me...still digging out of snow here!  

 

"Love this recipe and have made it several times, but according to Melissa Hartwig (I snapchatted her a screenshot of this) "in no way is this compliant" for Whole30 because it goes against the no baked goods / SWYPO on rule."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BajaChick said:

Here's a nice side that is more fruit than veg but very tasty, could be soothing - Pumpkin Breakfast Custard. Maybe leave off the nuts,

http://www.louisianabrideblog.com/2015/07/breakfast-pumpkin-custard.html?m=1#.WKzvWUBHahA

 

 

57 minutes ago, KJ Jackson said:

Sounds good but I found this is the comments on that website....too much like a fake baked good....but I would definitely try it after day 30 when I will be trying to,stay whole30'ish.  Happy day 18 for me...still digging out of snow here!  

 

"Love this recipe and have made it several times, but according to Melissa Hartwig (I snapchatted her a screenshot of this) "in no way is this compliant" for Whole30 because it goes against the no baked goods / SWYPO on rule."

Yep, I commented on this very recipe on one of the group threads very recently - Melissa herself classed it as SWYPO - save it until after your 30 days.... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now