February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

lol I love how even the blogger is low-key like, "I made this instead of pancakes because I didn't want to derail my Whole30 ... BTW I did totally derail my Whole30, so let me share the recipe that did it...." :blink::blink:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 17, and I think the tiger blood is starting to kick in!

This week is one of the most exhausting ones that I've had in a long time. But, despite waking up completely exhausted, I have so much energy right now! This is amazing. I'm not stressed out about the fact that I won't get home until after 9pm tonight, or that I will be eating dinner super late. I'm calm and actually happy. Even my students are behaving, and not stressing me out (then again, school just started 20 minutes ago, so we'll see what happens the rest of the day...). 

I feel really good, and other people are starting to notice. In fact, both my mom and my uncle have started W30 because of the effects that it has had on me, and how much I've been raving about this program. And one of my coworkers is talking about starting it, too. 

However, I am officially sick of eggs. They are now making me gag.

8 hours ago, kirkor said:

lol I love how even the blogger is low-key like, "I made this instead of pancakes because I didn't want to derail my Whole30 ... BTW I did totally derail my Whole30, so let me share the recipe that did it...." :blink::blink:

Haha! I have been perplexed by most of the Whole30 "my experience" blogs and magazine articles I've read. Most of them don't really follow the rules of the program (lots of snacks, smoothies and SWYPO) and/or they admit to one or more cheat days. That is not doing the Whole30 and I'm not saying that to be holier than thou--it just isn't. Kinda funny. 

I made coconut chicken curry with cauliflower rice from the Whole30 cook book. It was really good. We added hot pepper flakes. 

I have to say that it is important for me not to eat the same stuff al the time and the cook book is great! 

Also a Non scale victory. I realized today that I have not felt the need for antacids for two weeks. I was a nightly tums chewer before I started.

As far as other people who have cheat days,or SWNPO food,  I am only accountable for myself. If I want the benefits of a Whole 30, I have to play by the rules. 

On 3/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, Melinaka said:
On 3/13/2017 at 1:42 PM, BajaChick said:

Day 16

This week's meal planning was a little easier, and I didn't spend hours and hours in the kitchen Sunday so I'm either better organized or just less overwhelmed! 

I love the enthusiasm of everyone at this half-way point. I'm seeing changes too - my nails are stronger, I sleep much better. I think I'm still in vegetable deficit though, I can't seem to work enough of them into my menus. I wish my clothes were loser...

I know I've learned so much already, and been forced to try new things (like how to make dinner without including tortillas in some fashion!) I think what I've learned the most though is this is not a 30-day challenge. This is life. For me anyway, I'll never let sugar creep back in. I am an addict, and addition is a disease, whether sugar or other substance. I will most likely avoid bread of any kind, with only occasional tortillas (I live in Mexico part time, I can't give them up totally!) I used to have yogurt every morning, and even if it was plain Greek yogurt with fruit, I think that set me up for hunger later. Dairy will definitely be limited in my new life. But clean, real food is good food, and that is worth keeping for a lifetime of 30-days at a time!

Amen! :)

I totally agree about the sugar. This round I've learned how much sugar was fueling my cravings. It was out of hand. I feel SO much better without it and THEM. I don't want to go down that road again. 

What about corn tortillas BajaChick? 

I've read corn tortillas are compliant after the initial 30 day program, which is great news since I love them with fish tacos. We were in a dangerous rut, where dinner was whatever we could stuff in a wheat tortilla. I think a nice taco salad on a small corn tostada (post 30Day obviously) sounds like a better alternative. My choices will forever be changed by this gig!

21 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Can you put some bones in a crockpot and make some bone broth?  That would be the best for your stomach.

I tried that and the taste was just too much for me right now. Sadly, I've been really low on the protein the last few days as the only thing I can stomach (no pun intended) are plain potatoes. Hoping this bug goes away soon. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, beckyisgrace said:

I tried that and the taste was just too much for me right now. Sadly, I've been really low on the protein the last few days as the only thing I can stomach (no pun intended) are plain potatoes. Hoping this bug goes away soon. 

Something fairly bland like chicken breast with just some salt and a little olive oil if it's too dry, maybe? That's something I can usually stomach even when I'm not feeling well.

You might try watering down your broth a little and see if you can get it to a point that's not as strong. If you find you can eat it that way, you could do a simple egg drop soup for some protein -- bring the broth to a boil and pour in a beaten egg or two.

So, I've decided to give coffee the boot, eek! I've been wondering about it and while it is whole30 compliant (I always drink coffee black with no sugar anyway) I want to know what effect it has on me, so I'm stopping as of today. I only have one or at most 2 cups a day, so will be interesting to see if it changes anything.

I'm feeling so good, I want to see if it makes me feel even better ;)

Day 19

I went to the Dr. today, and we had to discuss my weight based on another factor. This is the same doc who suggested W30 in the first place so I've got her support. However we did look at the scale to discuss other factors. Wow, what a disappointment. I guess I now know why it's not allowed, but I was seriously shocked at how low the loss number was. I won't look again until Day 31, but with 12 days to go I can't see much room for anything significant. 

On a food prep note, I couldn't get mayo to emulsify to save my life yesterday. I make this often, with no issues. I tried 4 different batches before I gave up. The only thing that is different is the carton of eggs. I got an 18 pack of organic brown eggs, and there is obviously something wrong. (Too fresh maybe?)  So I need to buy different eggs and try again. I use it a lot! 

I ordered the Well Fed I cook book yesterday as well. It has some great reviews, and the sample I downloaded has some great info on meal planning, mass-prep and lots of new recipes. It will be here Saturday just in time for next week's meal planning! 

My new favorite ingredient is baby spinach. You can put just about anything on a bed of baby spinach and it tastes good. I know I need more leafy greens, so this is my newest tool to getting enough. Baby spinach is pretty mild and really tasty. I had it with hard boiled eggs today and it was really good! 

Go do great things today everyone! 

BajaChick, 

But how do you FEEL? Do you feel healthier? Do you feel happier? Do you feel more confident in how you make nutritional choices? If so, then you have so much more going for you than huge numbers lost on the scale! Slow weight loss is weight lost that you'll be more likely to maintain. 

You've got this and you're doing GREAT :)

Day 18 and struggling! Week 3 is turning out to be harder than I could have anticipated and I think It's mostly psychological. I feel like I am overloading on meat, which is strange to me since normally I love eating meat, and everything on the whole30 is just boring now. I don't feel super healthy anymore and just want to go vegetarian (NOT a typical sentiment for me). Any and all excuses and reasons to quit early keep coming to mind. 

This is interesting to me as I don't physically crave other foods. These issues feel very cerebral. Anyone dealing with this? I feel like week two was my 'tiger blood' time and now I'm just over it.

Also, I have been really backed up this week, but I went out and got digestive enzymes and magnesium sulfate and expect that not to be a problem for long 

Ok, I didn't really have a giving-up-sugar problem (except I didn't realize just how much of it sneaks into the weirdest food...), but I am tired of seeing all the Easter candy in every store I go into.  I don't even really want to eat it, I just also would like to not look at it.  :P

Ate crock-pot shredded pork over baked potato with Ghee this week.  Yummy.  I put some ranch-seasoned mayo on top.  I don't think I have ever eaten so much mayo in one month in my life.  I keep using different flavors of it for dipping EVERYTHING.  LOL...The Avocado mayo in the ISWF book is delicious.  No tiger blood for me yet.  :( 

I am experiencing full meat fatigue plus loss of appetite. No cravings, just...boredom. I've never been a vegetarian, but I can go one or two days without meat no problem. I read about this feeling being a possibility, so I'm not too worried and will just push through it. But I have made red pepper mayo, tartar sauce (twice!), herbed mayo, sunshine sauce, you name it, I've made it! And none of it appeals to me right now. Not even roasted sweet potatoes appeal to me anymore (blasphemy!)

I really don't think I would have made it this far without the Whole30 book and online resources. But I am getting nervous about "life after" because my husband and I are going to Italy for 10 days in late April. Worst case scenario, I'll just do another Whole30 when I get back. I don't want to feel like crap during the trip, but I also don't want to miss out on amazing food. It's funny, the book always mentions a trip to Italy as an example of when you need to ride your own bike and that's exactly where I'm going haha. :/ 

Day 18!

I AM SO EXCITED to have powered through and get this far to feel results!   

My new favorite thing is coffee with coconut cream and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon.
I'm the only one in my family doing Whole 30 but they are super supportive and enjoy the dinners (like chicken, mixed steamed vegetables, potatoes and salads).  

People are noticing the difference in my skin and how I look thinner. I don't check my weight, but I sure can tell I've lost something, as I can fit into shirts that I haven't fit in to in months. They feel so much more comfortable.... and it's like having a new wardrobe.

Challenge on Day 3 to go to lunch with friends celebrating and we always have a drink and dessert.  They weren't thrilled that I couldn't toast with champagne but they were intrigued by the Whole30 concept.  I ordered a very filling cold cobb/seafood salad (crab, shrimp, scallops) and had lemon w/olive oil for dressing.  When they ordered dessert, I ordered a black coffee. 

Day 17, at another lunch gathering,  I ordered beef carpaccio and arugula salad with sliced pears (lemon and olive oil for dressing). I didn't get the truffle oil on the carpaccio just in case it wasn't compliant, so just used olive oil and salt.  Yum!

Birthday party coming up this weekend. While they have cake, I'll have my Apple Pie larabar with coffee and coconut cream! 

I don't want to go back to old ways (sugar dragon was breathing down my neck everyday).  I miss having a glass of wine with the hubby, but other than that I don't have true cravings.  If I see somebody eating a brownie or cake (my faves) near me I think about it for a minute (maybe my mouth waters a second), but if I have water or a few almonds, thoughts of brownies goes away.  

Energy level is better than ever!!   It's not a hyper energy...but a consistent/feel good, don't feel so tired at 3pm and don't get winded going up the stairs like I used to! 

I'm planning to do another Whole 30 right after this one.  So many awesome recipes out there...I'm excited to try more! 

Congrats to all on our path/journey of  being healthy and happy! :)

5 hours ago, missusmneill said:

Any and all excuses and reasons to quit early keep coming to mind. 

Hi.  Found your post after searching "quit" on the forum.  I'm only on Day 16 but totally there with you on the "any and all excuses".  I've read that some people don't see the change they want until the last five days or two days.  Trying to keep my goal NSV in mind to make it through 30 days. #itsnothardbutitshard

2 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

But I have made red pepper mayo, tartar sauce (twice!), herbed mayo, sunshine sauce, you name it, I've made it! And none of it appeals to me right now.

Keep up the healthy choices!  I made this the first week and loved it (I should actually make it again since I've been unsuccessful with mayo):  http://karalydon.com/recipes/vegan-green-goddess-dressing/ 

So I don't know if I have ever talked on here about my serious candy/sugar thing that was going on for like, I don't know, most of my life I guess.  I am at my night job and it is quiet and I spent a lot of time reading through the forums on reintroduction of sugar and started to think about my candy situation and am hoping it's okay with you all if I share here because I just need to get this out!! I LOVE candy.  It's like a thing with me.  My friends and I used to (like years ago, early/mid 20s) base a lot of our jokes around my obsession with SPKs (sour patch kids...).  I struggled to go to CVS and not walk down the candy aisle and buy something.  If we were on vacation, i would go straight to the inevitable candy store and buy myself some bulk candy because "I'm on vacation."  And really, I did this just days before starting the Whole 30 when my boyfriend and I went to Mohegan Sun in CT for a few nights.  I have always hated this sugar dragon so to say because it really felt like an addiction.   It has made me feel embarrassed and fear stores that don't have self checkout!!!!  I would buy candy for kids at school or my staff over the summer as a total JOKE-- it was all so I would have candy for myself.  I have done some seriously obscene things when it comes to packs of starbursts that I'd rather not mention!!! Ugh.  Every year at Lent I would give up candy and chocolate and feel amazing, but on Easter I was always down to grab that Easter basket and not look back, as if it was some sort of reward. Why why why why why!?

Anyway, I am writing this because I seriously was a candy addict before the Whole 30 and I literally feel like I have been changed!!!  I cannot say that I will never chomp down on another sour straw in my life, but I DO NOT WANT TO EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.  What was I doing to myself!? Like not only was I consuming something so completely disgusting for me, I was totally feeding this addiction.  I know we are on day 18 with 12 days + a lifetime to go, but seriously, thank you Whole 30 because I do not ever want to go back there. 

And now that I have gotten that out there... I wish you all a wonderful day 19 and beyond! Thanks for reading if you got this far! :)

1 hour ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

So I don't know if I have ever talked on here about my serious candy/sugar thing

Anyway, I am writing this because I seriously was a candy addict before the Whole 30 and I literally feel like I have been changed!!!  I cannot say that I will never chomp down on another sour straw in my life, but I DO NOT WANT TO EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.  What was I doing to myself!? Like not only was I consuming something so completely disgusting for me, I was totally feeding this addiction.  I know we are on day 18 with 12 days + a lifetime to go, but seriously, thank you Whole 30 because I do not ever want to go back there. 

I so admire your admission and sharing your struggles. You are brave! I believe sugar is a mind altering substance just like alcohol and heroin. It is for me, I could eat piles of skittles and Jelly Bellys and even as a kid I would tuck into a huge bag of M&Ms and eat until I was sick. I quit sugar for a couple of years, but drank a lot wine - just another form of sugar. When I gave up alcohol altogether 8 years ago, man oh man did I go after sugar! There are bakeries in Mexico, where I live part time and vacation often, that are a wonder. It's all self serve, you get a tray and tongs and wander through the racks of Mexican pastry & cookies. My ritual when we did our first vacation shop was to fill that tray with as many cookies, pastries and cakes as I wanted. You take it to the counter and they bag and price the haul, I always had at least 2 bags. I justified it because Mexican baked goods aren't overly sweeet, but the bags would soon be drenched in grease and full of crumbly sugar crumbs. I would always tuck into one of the bags before we go to the house, a good hour drive. The rest of vacation was a binge. "On vacation" meant baked goods all day. I would return from vacation just as bloated and puffy as I would have been binging on alcohol. 

Ill never go back to that addiction. I'm grateful I was able to break the binge cycle with Whole30. I had literal withdrawals on about day 3. Sweats, headache, nausea and chills. I'm clean of sugar now and it feels pretty damn good. Never again. 

Thank you for sharing TeacherFitJourney - you inspire me to be as scared of sugar as I need to be.

6 hours ago, Deezilla said:

Day 18!

I AM SO EXCITED to have powered through and get this far to feel results!   

My new favorite thing is coffee with coconut cream and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon.
I'm the only one in my family doing Whole 30 but they are super supportive and enjoy the dinners (like chicken, mixed steamed vegetables, potatoes and salads).  

People are noticing the difference in my skin and how I look thinner. I don't check my weight, but I sure can tell I've lost something, as I can fit into shirts that I haven't fit in to in months. They feel so much more comfortable.... and it's like having a new wardrobe.

Challenge on Day 3 to go to lunch with friends celebrating and we always have a drink and dessert.  They weren't thrilled that I couldn't toast with champagne but they were intrigued by the Whole30 concept.  I ordered a very filling cold cobb/seafood salad (crab, shrimp, scallops) and had lemon w/olive oil for dressing.  When they ordered dessert, I ordered a black coffee. 

Day 17, at another lunch gathering,  I ordered beef carpaccio and arugula salad with sliced pears (lemon and olive oil for dressing). I didn't get the truffle oil on the carpaccio just in case it wasn't compliant, so just used olive oil and salt.  Yum!

Birthday party coming up this weekend. While they have cake, I'll have my Apple Pie larabar with coffee and coconut cream! 

I don't want to go back to old ways (sugar dragon was breathing down my neck everyday).  I miss having a glass of wine with the hubby, but other than that I don't have true cravings.  If I see somebody eating a brownie or cake (my faves) near me I think about it for a minute (maybe my mouth waters a second), but if I have water or a few almonds, thoughts of brownies goes away.  

Energy level is better than ever!!   It's not a hyper energy...but a consistent/feel good, don't feel so tired at 3pm and don't get winded going up the stairs like I used to! 

I'm planning to do another Whole 30 right after this one.  So many awesome recipes out there...I'm excited to try more! 

Congrats to all on our path/journey of  being healthy and happy! :)

Congratulations Deezilla! 

Everything you're describing sounds delicious. It's food choices like those that make Whole 30 so worthwhile you never want to give it up. Yum. 

So far I've found coconut cream (that is compliant)  at Trader Joe's. Have you found some anywhere else? 

To those of you speaking about sugar addiction, I am right there with you. My sugar dragon is more like a sugar Godzilla. My "therapy" most days when things get hard was to bake something after work and usually eat most, if not all, of what I baked. I would buy entire tubs of pre-made cookie dough and just go to town when I was feeling depressed. I was incapable of passing up any sweet treat at work that someone brought in, and would occasionally buy chocolate or cookies at the store and eat it all in one sitting without batting an eye. The past couple of weeks when I've been stressed, the FIRST thing on my mind is "how can I find something sugary" because it always makes me "feel better", but only temporarily of course. Then I feel disgusting and tired and worse than I did before.

My boyfriend has often (lovingly) told me that if I don't check this problem now when I'm younger, I may be looking at diabetes and a host of other issues later on. And he's totally right. So this is my way of trying to do that, and so far so good. I hope we all stay strong and come out of this much healthier people overall!

2 hours ago, kellyfoss said:

To those of you speaking about sugar addiction, I am right there with you. My sugar dragon is more like a sugar Godzilla. My "therapy" most days when things get hard was to bake something after work and usually eat most, if not all, of what I baked. I would buy entire tubs of pre-made cookie dough and just go to town when I was feeling depressed. I was incapable of passing up any sweet treat at work that someone brought in, and would occasionally buy chocolate or cookies at the store and eat it all in one sitting without batting an eye. The past couple of weeks when I've been stressed, the FIRST thing on my mind is "how can I find something sugary" because it always makes me "feel better", but only temporarily of course. Then I feel disgusting and tired and worse than I did before.

My boyfriend has often (lovingly) told me that if I don't check this problem now when I'm younger, I may be looking at diabetes and a host of other issues later on. And he's totally right. So this is my way of trying to do that, and so far so good. I hope we all stay strong and come out of this much healthier people overall!

It is a real addiction, and fuels the "food with no brakes" like jet fuel! Whenever there were sweet treats at the office, I would take one, and find some way to go back for more, to get one "for my coworker" or even try to be super incognito so no one would see I was eating enough for 4 people. Always left me feeling sick, disgusted and wanting more. My company gives us a pre-loaded credit card to buy junk from the break room, and it was not uncommon for me to move right from the Krispy Kreams to bags of Reeces Pieces, M&Ms or an ice cream bar. Suddenly I've consumed 1,000 calories in sugar, fat and processed flour.

My husband travels a fair amount, and when he was out of town I would just go crazy. No one to watch me, no one to see the empty ice cream carton or cookie package I just bought. So much like a drug addict hiding their drug use or alcoholic sneaking booze. When I quit drinking I had immediate health benefits, and noticed a difference every single day. I feel the same way about sugar today. I'm a better person, physically and mentally without the sugar dragon on my back! Better sleep, healthier nails and generally feeling so much better! So glad I found this program :)

1 hour ago, BajaChick said:

It is a real addiction, and fuels the "food with no brakes" like jet fuel! Whenever there were sweet treats at the office, I would take one, and find some way to go back for more, to get one "for my coworker" or even try to be super incognito so no one would see I was eating enough for 4 people. Always left me feeling sick, disgusted and wanting more. My company gives us a pre-loaded credit card to buy junk from the break room, and it was not uncommon for me to move right from the Krispy Kreams to bags of Reeces Pieces, M&Ms or an ice cream bar. Suddenly I've consumed 1,000 calories in sugar, fat and processed flour.

My husband travels a fair amount, and when he was out of town I would just go crazy. No one to watch me, no one to see the empty ice cream carton or cookie package I just bought. So much like a drug addict hiding their drug use or alcoholic sneaking booze. When I quit drinking I had immediate health benefits, and noticed a difference every single day. I feel the same way about sugar today. I'm a better person, physically and mentally without the sugar dragon on my back! Better sleep, healthier nails and generally feeling so much better! So glad I found this program :)

It is definitely real! This is why I'm so glad I never forayed into the world of other more serious drugs, because I'm fairly certain my addictive personality would not have served me well there. This month of forcing myself to find new ways of coping with anxiety and depression that don't involve sugar and/or alcohol has been so amazingly eye-opening! I'm really glad to hear it has done the same for you. The most important part is that we recognized it was a problem and took steps to remedy it. Keep fighting the good fight!

(And dude I hear you on the "drug stash"... I always had a secret package of cookies or candy hidden somewhere in the house, even since I was a kid. No more!)

Working hard at staying compliant and really want to have some corned beef for st pattys...my corned beef ingredients include water, salt, sodium phosphate, sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrate and spice packet.  From what I have researched it looks like it's ok...maybe others can comment...moderators?  Thoughts?  Thanks 

Day 19. Sleep. I slept 10 hours last night. I think this is an under valued thing!  I was feeling tired and flat all day yesterday and i thought i wasn't eating enough but it turns out i needed to sleep!

Just thought i would mention that. 

Archived