February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

1 hour ago, diamonds422 said:

Of all the obscure ingredients I've looked for, I'm surprised that the only one I haven't been able to find anywhere is canned freaking sweet potatoes. All I can find are canned yams in syrup.

I can't find them either! Does anyone know where to get them???

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

I've never seen them, but you can just roast a sweet potato, cool, mash and use that... I'm assuming you're trying to make some sort of salmon burger?  Fresh roasted is the only thing I've ever used...

Day 9

i keeep reading that this is the week a lot of people throw in the towel. No freakin way am I giving up! I may not always get my food template right, and I'm struggling with different flavors. I'm pretty picky when it comes to flavor. If it's "off" at all, or not what I expect, I don't want to eat it. (Vegetable broth instead of beef in stew yesterday for inatance. Couldn't find compliant  beef stock so used vegetable - my stew was delicious, just way too sweet from the compliant veggie stock.) 

So, I'm  being forced to grow my palette and eat what I prepare. My leftover salmon cakes are not doing it for me today. They are just not what I want. but I'm eating them anyway. 

I hope to  make this a way of life, with some allowances as I work through reintroduction. So no - I'm not giving up or saying I can't. I've spent a fortune on ingredients and even equipment. I'm going to make it the next 21 days without a slip. Besides, I think starting over would be the worst!! And if my husband can do it without complaining, so can I! 

@BajaChick I like your attitude! I'm trying to have the same attitude as well. The week wasn't super hard for me, except for those nights when I got home late and just didn't want to cook. Luckily, I had some leftovers that I could eat. I also get finicky and go off of my meal plan because I decide that I don't want what I planned for that night. I need to be better about that over these next few weeks.

4 hours ago, trinx said:

Ditto -- I actually used avocado oil, and really don't care for the flavor at all (which is too bad, since I used nearly the whole bottle and it cost something like $14). I'm sucking it up and using it anyway. I also had a real problem getting the mayo to set up -- had to use an extra egg and do the whole slow pour again with the liquid from the first try, but that did the trick.

trinx, 

I've never tried Avocado oil. What was it like?

I just found a recipe for roasted vegetables that calls for it and I was considering buying some. Otherwise I'll just stick with olive oil. 

4 hours ago, mandab17 said:

Does anyone have any ideas for quick breakfasts that do not include eggs? I'm already sick of them. 

Yes, please, someone share. Chia seed puddings and the like are not really Whole30 compliant but once this month is over I can see myself going that route. Leftovers work sometimes, but this morning I was not feeling the brussels sprouts hahaha. 

54 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

Someone please share a brand if they exist!

31 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I've never seen them, but you can just roast a sweet potato, cool, mash and use that... I'm assuming you're trying to make some sort of salmon burger?  Fresh roasted is the only thing I've ever used...

Yes, they are for the salmon cakes in the Whole30 book. One of the easier recipes to put together...that is, if you can find canned sweet potato lol. That's what the ingredient list calls for, but I will boil one tonight. Maybe it only exists in certain regions? 

• Moderators

Yes, please, someone share. Chia seed puddings and the like are not really Whole30 compliant but once this month is over I can see myself going that route. Leftovers work sometimes, but this morning I was not feeling the brussels sprouts hahaha. 

Someone please share a brand if they exist!

Yes, they are for the salmon cakes in the Whole30 book. One of the easier recipes to put together...that is, if you can find canned sweet potato lol. That's what the ingredient list calls for, but I will boil one tonight. Maybe it only exists in certain regions? 

Ya, I know the recipe calls for that but a roasted and then mashed one works fine.  I'm not sure about boiled as it may end up a bit watery... you can definitely try it tho and if you find your mixture a bit wet, just add a bit more almond flour...

Almost dinner time and I have been STARVING for the past hour even though I ate a big plate of salmon and veggies for lunch! Fortunately I made the Asian chicken salad from the cookbook, and there will be leftovers for at least a day or two! It has been very hard to pass up my usual snacks like hummus with veggies and PB with apples (or straight off the spoon). But I'm feeling pretty invested now and don't want to mess it up.

5 hours ago, Melinaka said:

trinx, 

I've never tried Avocado oil. What was it like?

I just found a recipe for roasted vegetables that calls for it and I was considering buying some. Otherwise I'll just stick with olive oil. 

I've had it in the past and it's good. I don't like this brand, though. It's called Olivado. Tastes very heavy and a little plasticky.

Day 9, everyone! :D Go us! Is anyone else having a serious love/hate relationship with eggs right now? I love them because they're cheap, fast and easy to make. But I am getting so. sick. of eating them. every. single. day. Might need an egg vacation for a few days before coming back to making them every morning. 

So, it's day 9, and I've done pretty well up to this point. However, one of my students just walked in my classroom and said she had a present for me. It's a cookie. With LOTS of powdered sugar on top. How do I handle this? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I also don't want to derail my program. 

And @kellyfoss, I am right there with you. I can't believe I bought another 18-count of eggs, either. 

11 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

How do I handle this?

Thank her kindly, and tell her you;re going to take it home to eat with your feet up, after supper - you don't have to say which supper.... ;)

1 hour ago, kellyfoss said:

Day 9, everyone! :D Go us! Is anyone else having a serious love/hate relationship with eggs right now? I love them because they're cheap, fast and easy to make. But I am getting so. sick. of eating them. every. single. day. Might need an egg vacation for a few days before coming back to making them every morning. 

Yes, although since I never shut up about it I'm sure everyone knows this already haha.  This morning I said screw it and just ate some of my leftover ground beef, veggie and sunshine sauce mix because I am sick of eggs for breakfast, which at this point I have cooked every which way. Also love them for being cheap and easy, for sure. This isn't a cheap eating plan so it's nice to not have to break the bank with eggs! I am trying to focus on how good these breakfasts make me feel. Food as fuel and nothing more, I suppose--at least at breakfast!  

I am also starting to have some meat fatigue. I'm going to try making more fish recipes this week to see if that helps. 

1 hour ago, mandab17 said:

So, it's day 9, and I've done pretty well up to this point. However, one of my students just walked in my classroom and said she had a present for me. It's a cookie. With LOTS of powdered sugar on top. How do I handle this? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I also don't want to derail my program. 

And @kellyfoss, I am right there with you. I can't believe I bought another 18-count of eggs, either. 

How sweet! Definitely say you plan to enjoy it later at home, and give it to someone else to eat. If the temptation is too great, I guess you could secretly throw it away. 

I had another cheating dream last night that felt so real. I was in a room somewhere talking to a friend who was munching on a pop tart. She broke off a piece and fed it to me (weird!) Right after swallowing, I realized what I'd done. Then the rest of the dream was me just thinking about if I was willing to start over and all that. So bizarre. When I woke up, it took me a few seconds to remember that it was just a dream. 

Day 10

Just sat down for lunch and I have tomorrow's breakfast and no lettuce for my protein salad! Good lord when will the brain dead-ness leave me? 

I ran a Sales meeting at 7am and to bribe my team I brought breakfast. Bacon, egg and cheese bagels and I had to pick it up! Rude, now my car even smells like it. I had my W30 approved breakfast with them. I knew the temptation would be too great if I had nothing. One of the more health-conscious guys was a little jealous of my frittata sweet potato bowl!

Going ok, making W30 approved Clam Chowder tonight. I cook a lot, and I'm finding it's pretty easy to modify my existing faves to fit the program. Some work, some don't work as well, but the learning what does work is kind of fun! 

I have a W30 friend who lives the lifestyle, and she's great support. She shows me this is a way of life, not just a 30 day challenge. I have a lot of hope because of her! 

3 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

I had another cheating dream last night that felt so real. I was in a room somewhere talking to a friend who was munching on a pop tart. She broke off a piece and fed it to me (weird!) Right after swallowing, I realized what I'd done. Then the rest of the dream was me just thinking about if I was willing to start over and all that. So bizarre. When I woke up, it took me a few seconds to remember that it was just a dream. 

The horror! I totally had one of these a couple of nights ago too - about Sun Chips! The worst part is, I didn't even realize I had gone off-plan until probably like halfway through the dream. And then I was hit with this giant wave of guilt and shame. Good times. I haven't even had a Sun Chip in probably a year so I have no idea where that came from...

So two funny things happened today...

First off, my school is doing a weight loss competition and today was a weigh in day.  I closed my eyes and didn't look and also asked the trainer not to let me know what I weighed....will power people.  We initially weighed in on Jan 27 and I know I have lost since then before Whole30 even and she seemed happy with the progress so that's good.  Anyway, I was telling her about the Whole30 and after explaining she said "do you know how hard that is!?!?" YEAH GIRL. YEAH.  I know how hard it is! I'm on day nine!  Oh my.  I love it.  Also, I had wanted to make turkey burgers tonight and found ground turkey already formed into patties.  Yes, for the win.  I go to checkout and at the last minute I checked the ingredients and they had sneaked some sugar into the patties!  Come on.  I was so mad, but in a rush so no turkey burgers tonight (I have ground beef I'll use instead).  

I feel like so far the biggest thing that I have learned is that we have been tricked into eating copious amounts of sugar when we think we are being healthy!  Like even healthy food brands.  Sometimes I pick up things I know I can't buy just to see the ingredients and it is just really eye opening.  I am still really happy with this program and hope that post-Whole30 I can live an 80/20 lifestyle using Whole30 as a my base.

16 hours ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

So two funny things happened today...

First off, my school is doing a weight loss competition and today was a weigh in day.  I closed my eyes and didn't look and also asked the trainer not to let me know what I weighed....will power people.  We initially weighed in on Jan 27 and I know I have lost since then before Whole30 even and she seemed happy with the progress so that's good.  Anyway, I was telling her about the Whole30 and after explaining she said "do you know how hard that is!?!?" YEAH GIRL. YEAH.  I know how hard it is! I'm on day nine!  Oh my.  I love it.  Also, I had wanted to make turkey burgers tonight and found ground turkey already formed into patties.  Yes, for the win.  I go to checkout and at the last minute I checked the ingredients and they had sneaked some sugar into the patties!  Come on.  I was so mad, but in a rush so no turkey burgers tonight (I have ground beef I'll use instead).  

I feel like so far the biggest thing that I have learned is that we have been tricked into eating copious amounts of sugar when we think we are being healthy!  Like even healthy food brands.  Sometimes I pick up things I know I can't buy just to see the ingredients and it is just really eye opening.  I am still really happy with this program and hope that post-Whole30 I can live an 80/20 lifestyle using Whole30 as a my base.

That's hilarious! Like yes... yes, we do know how hard it is. Try actually doing it, and we're only a third of the way through! (Or on a more positive note: Already a third of the way through, woohoo!)

And my S.O. is consistently shocked by what I can and can't eat, based on the ingredients. He'll say, "I'm sure this is fine," read the label and get this look of disgust on his face. "Really?? Added sugar, even in this?" Last night it was Tabasco sauce. It's in almost everything. It really is very eye-opening.

It's Day 10, and I'm struggling. I know this is the time period where people usually quit, so I'm determined to move past this point. Yesterday, I started really noticing all the foods that I can't eat right now, and it was a struggle. And last night, I made the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce again, which was one of my favorite meals last week. But last night, it tasted off. I don't know if it was something I did or if it's just my body trying to rebel against this whole program. But I didn't eat much last night, and that' really messed with my body. It's amazing how food even affects our sleep! I have been sleeping great since the start of the program, but last night was the first night where I haven't slept great. 

I'm tired and cranky right now. I reread the timeline part in the book last night, and I know that what I'm feeling and going through is normal, but still. It sucks. 

I am hoping that I can make a better dinner tonight and actually get some sleep. I'm also hoping I get past this yucky point quickly.

2 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

It's Day 10, and I'm struggling. I know this is the time period where people usually quit, so I'm determined to move past this point. Yesterday, I started really noticing all the foods that I can't eat right now, and it was a struggle. And last night, I made the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce again, which was one of my favorite meals last week. But last night, it tasted off. I don't know if it was something I did or if it's just my body trying to rebel against this whole program. But I didn't eat much last night, and that' really messed with my body. It's amazing how food even affects our sleep! I have been sleeping great since the start of the program, but last night was the first night where I haven't slept great. 

I'm tired and cranky right now. I reread the timeline part in the book last night, and I know that what I'm feeling and going through is normal, but still. It sucks. 

I am hoping that I can make a better dinner tonight and actually get some sleep. I'm also hoping I get past this yucky point quickly.

Im with you!  I posted a similar observation yesterday.  I'm just really tired and sluggish these past two days, no energy to work out and going to bed earlier than normal.  And like you, the food tasted much better last week!  Maybe our bodies are getting used to eating less, because I also found that I wasn't as hungry when eating my meals.  Looking to change up some meals next week to get the fire going again!  Good luck!

On 3/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

So I totally forgot to take before pictures and I'm kind of bummed about it.  I think I will take some today so at least I have a point of reference, even if it is day 6.  Speaking of which...day six!! Woohoo!  We are moving along nicely.  This is going to sound strange but I swear my hands feel...lighter? or smaller? or simply just less swollen which is weird because I didn't even know they were swollen.  I teach music and therefore spend half of my day playing piano and am oddly aware of the fact that my hands feel different.  I am sure that swelling is starting to go down and hope that makes it's way around my body--- because come on let's go! Hahah.  Anyway I am super loving following this thread because it is so helpful and I really like the foods I have been eating.  Yes, lots of dishes to wash and prepping but it is working out well for me right now.  Have a great Saturday!

Stay strong! Last night I had my first feelings of wanting to quit. I made a double batch of the no-fuss salmon cakes** and they are definitely not no-fuss. I didn't sit down to eat until 8:40 p.m. And I didn't have parchment paper so I used foil, and even with the cooking fat brushed on the foil they stuck like glue. Argh! So frustrating. At least they were delicious, and so is the homemade tartar sauce (didn't have pickles so I used capers--yum). But yeah, trying to flip those stupid stuck-on salmon cakes when I was tired and hungry damn near made me cry. Why did I think foil would be the same? Sigh. 

This morning I worked out for the first time since starting and I felt amazing. The difference was incredible. That is definitely helping with the negative feelings. 

** To my fellow canned sweet potato searchers-- Take two sweet potatoes with peel still on, prick them all over with a fork and put them in the microwave on a paper towel. Microwave 5 minutes, flip, then 5 more minutes. Let cool while you're doing other stuff, then cut in half and scoop out the insides. Voila! Yes, you can always roast, but I live in a one bedroom apartment in Houston and roasting makes it too hot inside, even in early March, so I try to keep oven use to a minimum. 

OK, day 10. Not yet tired of eggs, but definitely tired of so much meat, which used to be a treat for me (husband and kid are vegetarian). I have been loving the tuna sweet potato cakes, which are probably a lot like the infamous salmon cakes, from the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook. I was able to freeze some (yea!). I was eating these even before Whole30, with ketchup, so now I just eat them with salsa. SO good (though I miss the ketchup, I admit!).

Big confession here is that I really didn't read the book that much and am doing a few of the recipes, but not that many yet. I'm kind of confused about the whole "Sunday is your big prep day! It takes several hours!" thing. I'm pretty sure I'm 100% compliant--I make some meat thing, usually chicken or fish, add  steamed or sauteed vegetables, salad with avocado and a few nuts, and call it good. What is the deal with all the pre-prep?

Here's a picture of my lunch plate from today--leftover salmon from two days ago, leftover steamed broccoli, some canned organic green beans cooked with frozen mushrooms, and a sliced tomato. Also had a handful of raw cashews. I feel like maybe the canned beans were cheating, but ingredients were green beans, salt and water--that's OK, right?

IMG_4527.JPG

Day 11

I am  having a really hard time eating. I'm hungry but I'm just always a little nauseous and the new flavors and Egg OD seem to make it worse.  Forcing myself to eat but honestly that last bite is always really hard. I love egg salad, chicken salad, scrambled eggs, spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. All the things I should be eating are things i like anyway. Not sure why I can't enjoy the meals, but it's a struggle to even get them down. Weird new symptom?

Stay strong! Last night I had my first feelings of wanting to quit. I made a double batch of the no-fuss salmon cakes** and they are definitely not no-fuss. I didn't sit down to eat until 8:40 p.m. And I didn't have parchment paper so I used foil, and even with the cooking fat brushed on the foil they stuck like glue. Argh! So frustrating. At least they were delicious, and so is the homemade tartar sauce (didn't have pickles so I used capers--yum). But yeah, trying to flip those stupid stuck-on salmon cakes when I was tired and hungry damn near made me cry. Why did I think foil would be the same? Sigh. 

Congrats on sticking to it! Boo that the salmon cakes stuck to it (the foil, that is). I wonder if one of those Silpat baking mats would help? I haven't found anything yet that sticks to mine.

1 hour ago, BajaChick said:

Day 11

I am  having a really hard time eating. I'm hungry but I'm just always a little nauseous and the new flavors and Egg OD seem to make it worse.  Forcing myself to eat but honestly that last bite is always really hard. I love egg salad, chicken salad, scrambled eggs, spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes. All the things I should be eating are things i like anyway. Not sure why I can't enjoy the meals, but it's a struggle to even get them down. Weird new symptom?

I'm on day 10 technically but YES, oh my goodness, I've been feeling this the last couple of days as well. Mostly at breakfast, but just in general. I think maybe it stems from too much repetition of the same ingredients/food boredom/too much of the same textures. I'm going to try to incorporate new meats and veggies into my routine, and maybe more "crunch" to my plates. Hoping that helps. Also going to slightly reduce my portion sizes.

Archived