February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, KJ Jackson said:

Working hard at staying compliant and really want to have some corned beef for st pattys...my corned beef ingredients include water, salt, sodium phosphate, sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrate and spice packet.  From what I have researched it looks like it's ok...maybe others can comment...moderators?  Thoughts?  Thanks 

Sodium nitrate - nitrates are off limits :( 

thanks ladies - darn that Sodium erythorbate !!  I have been using the "whole30 downloads" as my "additives" guide and the sodium erythorbate was not there - so I was so hoping it was just some kind of sodium that would be OK :(  I'll just have the cabbage and potatoes cooked separately from the meat.  I CAN do this!  It's only 30 days.  :)

BAJAchick - on the "Whole30 downloads" above - Sodium nitrates and Sodium Nitrites are both acceptable. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Sodium nitrate - nitrates are off limits :( 

It's sulphites/sulphates that are off limits... altho many of us choose not to eat nitrate/nitrites, they're not specifically off limits for Whole30.

22 hours ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Anyway, I am writing this because I seriously was a candy addict before the Whole 30 and I literally feel like I have been changed!!!  I cannot say that I will never chomp down on another sour straw in my life, but I DO NOT WANT TO EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.  What was I doing to myself!? Like not only was I consuming something so completely disgusting for me, I was totally feeding this addiction.  I know we are on day 18 with 12 days + a lifetime to go, but seriously, thank you Whole 30 because I do not ever want to go back there. 

And now that I have gotten that out there... I wish you all a wonderful day 19 and beyond! Thanks for reading if you got this far! :)

I really appreciate you sharing this. I have a background of disordered eating (bingeing) and using food for comfort. I also feel truly changed, and I do not want to go back to how I was. I felt so powerless with food sometimes. I had made improvements in recent years, but the Whole30 has been like hitting a crazy fast forward button with my progress. I did not expect these results, but I am thrilled!

4 hours ago, marthab said:

Day 19. Sleep. I slept 10 hours last night. I think this is an under valued thing!  I was feeling tired and flat all day yesterday and i thought i wasn't eating enough but it turns out i needed to sleep!

Just thought i would mention that. 

I got extra sleep last night as well! I went to bed immediately after putting my kids to bed. I totally needed it, too.

Also, Tiger Blood is BACK! I don't feel overloaded by meat anymore and I feel so good. *whew* 

Last night was the hardest so far fit me.  I usually have an exercise class, but it was cancelled.  I was feeling meh and bored, and I wanted a snack.  Chips and salsa or chocolate.  I was good and watched you tube instead.  :wacko:. Ha!  Mindless videos > mindless snacking.  

Happy Day 22!!

So, we're almost at the end of our program, and I get sick. Go figure. I woke up this morning with a sore throat, and as the morning has progressed, my body has begun to get very achy. I have some cough drops that also help soothe a sore throat, but I don't know if I should take them. I was reading the ingredients and they have glucose syrup and soy lecithin in them. I'm assuming they are off limits because of the soy, correct?

I don't want to derail my program this close to the end. Any other ideas on what I can do to soothe a sore throat?

28 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

Happy Day 22!!

So, we're almost at the end of our program, and I get sick. Go figure. I woke up this morning with a sore throat, and as the morning has progressed, my body has begun to get very achy. I have some cough drops that also help soothe a sore throat, but I don't know if I should take them. I was reading the ingredients and they have glucose syrup and soy lecithin in them. I'm assuming they are off limits because of the soy, correct?

I don't want to derail my program this close to the end. Any other ideas on what I can do to soothe a sore throat?

I would stick to some black or green tea with lemon to help the throat, if you can. If you can find some all-natural Zinc and/or Echinacea supplements, I've found both of those help a lot with knocking out an illness before it gets worse. So sorry you're not feeling well! Drink a ton of water and try to get as much sleep as possible. I've been afraid of that myself with the seasons and weather changing the way it has... bleh.

Day 22 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling a little defeated. I'm not noticing much change the last week, my clothes aren't any loser than they were on day 1, I don't have the tiger blood so many speak of and I'm so sick of spending my weekends shopping/prepping. I'm not giving up, I'm too close to the end to bail now. And I will definitely adopt the principals of W30 in my  daily life. But I am missing the "Holy crap I feel great, I'm glowing and my clothes are almost too big" that so many report. Sad face. 

5 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

Day 22 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling a little defeated. I'm not noticing much change the last week, my clothes aren't any loser than they were on day 1, I don't have the tiger blood so many speak of and I'm so sick of spending my weekends shopping/prepping. I'm not giving up, I'm too close to the end to bail now. And I will definitely adopt the principals of W30 in my  daily life. But I am missing the "Holy crap I feel great, I'm glowing and my clothes are almost too big" that so many report. Sad face. 

What do your meals look like these days @BajaChick? How is your sleep? 

The final,countdown!  .hope everyone is hanging in there.  Was a rough weekend but made it through... st pattys celebration Friday, had to pass on the corned beef and beer but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  Saturday was another fundraiser we attended, so another night of passing on lots of drinks and snacks..sat far away from the buffet table but yep...made it through.  Prepped yesterday and made the stuffed peppers from the W30 book. Very good.  Have a good week everyone.  

Wow,  from my last post to this one, it was rough!   The weekend was filled with celebrations and lots of food that I couldn't eat.  I was busy with party planning and didn't prep my own food so hardly ate and felt down and cranky.  Definitely a learning experience.  Prep and pre-planning or at least thinking ahead,  is so key to eating right and feeling good.  Felt lethargic all weekend but planned well for today and feeling better already.  Low on iron so going to search/check on iron-rich Whole 30 recipes.   

Congrats to all and have a fabulous week!

I had a very busy weekend so my own meals suffered, and I definitely felt the consequences. Saturday I had to work and then afterwards went to a friend's house, so that day was out for cooking. Sunday, I had to make lemon bars for a baby shower that day. I was very pleased that I wasn't tempted at all to sneak a bite or even a lick while baking. However, it didn't give me time to get any sort of lunch ready so I munched on some pickles and almonds and headed out. (My husband had made some scrambled eggs with leftover rib meat for brunch, but I am so sick of eggs and meat at this point I could only get a few bites down). Of course, once I got to the baby shower and saw everyone eating I realized I was truly hungry. I had a small amount of fajita meat with some grilled onions, guacamole and pico de gallo and that was it. Didn't trust the salsas. Do I know if everything was 100% compliant? No, and that's why I haven't eaten outside of my own home this whole time. I just don't trust outside food to be compliant, even if I ask about it. I have waitressed in the past so I have some insight as to what goes on in kitchens...

I still have meat fatigue, but the New York Times had an oven roasted chicken shawarma recipe that looked really good, so I prepared that last night and invented a Whole30 garlic sauce to go with it. Hopefully, having some new flavors will get me out of this slump. I just don't think eating meat as the main component of a meal twice or three times a day is doable for me forever. I really hope I don't have a reaction to legumes upon reintroduction!  I need beans in my life. 

Here is the shawarma recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma (I am going to eat this as lettuce wraps)

Here is my garlic sauce recipe: Prepare one batch of Whole30 mayo (from the book) exactly as instructed. Add the juice of half a lime, 2 tbsp dill, 1 tbsp mint (didn't have mint and mine is still tasty), and 4-5 cloves of minced garlic. Blend in food processor (or whatever) until smooth. Yum! I was going to add some coconut cream, but I forgot. Will try that next time. 

9 hours ago, jmcbn said:

What do your meals look like these days @BajaChick? How is your sleep? 

All foods are compliant

Breakfast hard boiled eggs with mayo, celery and 2 pc bacon on bed of baby spinach

lunch turkey/beef meatballs with Brussels sprouts and green grapes

Dinner meatballs and W30 tomato sauce on zoodles

sleep:6 to 7 hours on week nights, 8 to  9 on weekends, interrupted by one wakeful period of about 20 minutes at 3am  or so.

workout: 45 - 50 minutes cardio and strength training M-F, Saturday Pilates class, Sunday rest.

I'm doing everything right. Just not feeling the results. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BajaChick said:

All foods are compliant

Breakfast hard boiled eggs with mayo, celery and 2 pc bacon on bed of baby spinach

lunch turkey/beef meatballs with Brussels sprouts and green grapes

Dinner meatballs and W30 tomato sauce on zoodles

sleep:6 to 7 hours on week nights, 8 to  9 on weekends, interrupted by one wakeful period of about 20 minutes at 3am  or so.

workout: 45 - 50 minutes cardio and strength training M-F, Saturday Pilates class, Sunday rest.

I'm doing everything right. Just not feeling the results. 

Are you adding fat to all your meals? I see it at breakfast, but be sure you're adding it to each meal, and have some in addition to what you're cooking in. You don't mention serving sizes, but be sure you're having at least one palm-sized portion of protein, and that you're filling your plate with vegetables. I don't see any starchy vegetables -- most people seem to do well with one fist-sized serving of some kind of starchy vegetable each day, and some need more than that. You might try adding a serving at dinner and see if it helps you to sleep better through the night, some people find that it does help.

Are you doing pre- and post- workout meals in addition to your regular meals? Pre-wo should be some protein and fat, and post-wo should be lean protein and possibly some starchy vegetable. If you're working out in the middle of the day, you may not need the pre-wo, but you definitely want to do the post-wo within a short time of finishing your workouts. A few bites of chicken or tuna or egg white, and a few bites of sweet potato are a good option.

You might also consider that workouts five days a week may not be serving you as well right now as extra recovery time might. That doesn't mean stop working out, but read this and think about if you might be better off taking a little time off until you're feeling better. 

Starting to think about reintroduction as our 30 days is rapidly (or not so rapidly when I am sitting in a room of people eating pizza and cookies) approaching.  I am in the midst of directing "The Addams Family" at a school I used to teach at and HELL WEEK is next week.  Thinking about doing a slow roll introduction so that I don't go off the rails in the middle of a very stressful time.  But it would be helpful to ease up on the added sugar in things like deli meat since I will not have an abundance of time for meal prepping.  I also have to play sax and flute during the shows so I am nervous about reintroducing something and feeling like crap while I need to play.  Thoughts?  What is everyone planning to do after day 30?

14 minutes ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Starting to think about reintroduction as our 30 days is rapidly (or not so rapidly when I am sitting in a room of people eating pizza and cookies) approaching.  I am in the midst of directing "The Addams Family" at a school I used to teach at and HELL WEEK is next week.  Thinking about doing a slow roll introduction so that I don't go off the rails in the middle of a very stressful time.  But it would be helpful to ease up on the added sugar in things like deli meat since I will not have an abundance of time for meal prepping.  I also have to play sax and flute during the shows so I am nervous about reintroducing something and feeling like crap while I need to play.  Thoughts?  What is everyone planning to do after day 30?

I've been thinking about this too. This is my 2nd W30 so I'm going to be more careful this time. Last time I chose one thing at a time... for a few days. Then went all in. Felt crummy. I'm not doing it again. 

I know some definite food sensitivities. As much as I'd like a Flat White At Starbucks, milk makes me feel awful (congestion & other sinus issues). Sugar... we all know how that one goes. So there's 2 things I'm not excited to have right away. 

It will be nice to not have to worry so much about restaurant menus. Even still, I'm thinking I might just keep going. Or have a day or two to enjoy some things then go for the next round. 

I am not too sure what I'll indulge in. Maybe a nice dinner that includes my favorite quinoa recipe. I'd been craving that at one point in our W30 round. 

What's everyone else doing? 

13 minutes ago, Melinaka said:

What's everyone else doing? 

I like your idea of just sticking with it. I'm realizing now that I really, really don't want to go back to how I used to feel. Back when I thought that feeling sluggish, foggy and exhausted was "normal". I'm thinking I'll do the slow roll reintroduction where I introduce things as they appear in my life, but not particularly on purpose, if that makes sense. I won't say no to the cheese on a salad if I happen to be at a restaurant, and take note of how I feel. Then most likely go back to eating compliant after.

I'm almost positive that dairy + me = no bueno. I've always suspected that, so that will most likely be a permanent change. And I don't much miss grains either (except my usual burrito bowl with rice at Chipotle... I can have that on occasion as a treat). I will need to, in moderation, have some sugar in my life in the form of chocolate. And I gotta have the sporadic glass of wine. So I guess maybe I'll be sticking to things 75% or so after Whole30? And I'm thinking I may do a full reset in the summertime once I'll be able to be outdoors exercising more frequently to get even better results.

I'm planning on following the sample reintroduction starting on Day 31.  I feel great right now so I'm really interested to see what happens when introducing non compliant foods.  I have eaten gluten free for almost 4 years.  I'm a little nervous trying it again.  The main reason I'm doing the Whole30 is for the reintroduction.  My family is ready for the 30 days to be over so they don't have to eat so much meat.  There are somethings that they really liked and will definitely be in our rotation of recipes.  1 week to go!  Good Luck!

On 3/16/2017 at 8:03 PM, Melinaka said:

Congratulations Deezilla! 

Everything you're describing sounds delicious. It's food choices like those that make Whole 30 so worthwhile you never want to give it up. Yum. 

So far I've found coconut cream (that is compliant)  at Trader Joe's. Have you found some anywhere else? 

I found it at Whole Foods  - Whole Foods 365 Organic Coconut Milk.

Sorry to post again today but a lady at work gave me cookies for helping her with the computer and they sat in my room all day and then I let my kids who stay after school have some cookies.  OMG talk about willpower.  They looked so good.  I was thrilled when the kids finished them!!  Whew...that was a close one. 

Under a week to go everyone!!! (For the elimination phase anyway :P

The last few days have been weirdly up and down for me - some days I feel ahhh-mazing! and others I've been feeling kind of down and lethargic.. might really just be because it's close to that TOM for me, though! 

On the whole, I've really been so surprised by how different I feel already going through these last few weeks, and I'm nervous that I'll derail once my 30 days are up. I was really going down an awful path of bad habits before this, and I don't want to fall off the wagon of healthy living once I start reintroducing. At the same time, I'm just not used to this much meat in my life (and all this cooking!), and I want to give myself more space to have a slightly more plant-based/grain inclusive diet. I'll probably be doing the fast-track reintroduction, but using the secondary dates the book describes, so that I'm not hit by awful feelings within just 10 days. 

Have a great last 6 days all! :)

It's kind of crazy, but now that we are almost done, I dont feel,like it was as hard as I thought it would be in the beginning. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to make it 30 days..but I WILL!  I learned a lot and I am really hoping I lost a few pounds! I'm not sure about NSV's ..I really don't feel that much different.  I am sleeping better.  I was hoping the W30 might help with hot flashes...but so far no change..I HATE them!!  

The Dr Oz show today (at lest on our TV station here) is about the W30 plan...can't wait to see what they have to report on!  

Have a a great day everyone.  

I thought I submitted a post yesterday, but maybe I never hit sumbit. I plan to do the sample reintoduction from the book. Fingers crossed that I have few sensitivities. My meat fatigue has mostly gone away for now, but I'm ready for some more variety. I will probably always be really strict with added sugars and I was almost exclusively eating whole grains before this when cooking at home, but I will wait and see what my body says. Looking forward to that first reintro night and my glass of red wine!

Archived