February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

We're almost done!!!

I think I'm going to do the slow reintroduction and introduce things as they happen. I am loving how I'm feeling, and I'm not wanting to go back to my old ways. I also realized that I don't miss certain foods like I thought I would. I don't miss chocolate or cheese like I thought I would, and those are things that I had all the time before Whole30. The only things that I'm really missing are ice cream and rum. But even then, I don't see myself indulging in them like I used to. Those will be special occasion items from now on. 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

day 25 for me and I am over it. just like the book says. So I am trying to come up with ways to compensate. I had some walnuts with coconut and raisins with cashew milk and it seemed like that will tide me over.

I am in it for the long haul so I need to expect crappy days I guess. I am also resisting the scale. 

NSV!! no tums, no gas, clothes are looser, less money spent on eating out!! 

Welp, I will be extending my Whole30 to a Whole45 after a slight slip-up with some very sneaky salsa (and also because I just feel really great on this program and I'd like to continue it a bit longer). But I'm still in this with you guys! I do still plan to weigh myself on day 31, because I want to see what my results would have been if I had just stopped at 30 days. But then I'll do two more weeks after that before reintroduction.

Let's finish strong! Can't wait to hear what everyone's final SVs and NSVs are!

@kellyfoss Sorry about the sneaky salsa!  I am also feeling really great and was thinking about staying a little longer but I think I have successfully mapped out a preliminary plan for reintroduction that I am excited about.  I have decided to stay away from alcohol for a bit longer, at least through the end of Lent.  If pregnant ladies can do it for 9 months, I certainly can do it for 40 days!  I am nervous about dairy and gluten.  I have never had a serious issue with either that I know of, but the more I am reading about reintroductions, the more people I see who have had sensitivities.  I don't want to feel sick which is maybe why I want to stay on longer.  I am on Spring Break the second week of April so I am planning most reintros for that time period. 

When we started the whole 30 in February I was doing a good job of working out as well.  I love to walk outdoors and enjoy lifting weights or using weight machines at the gym.  I am not a fan of indoor cardio machines but try to use them on occasion anyways (the former Skyfit now Aaptiv app is helpful).  Unfortunately, I hit a bit of a stall with the working out about day 8 or 9 when I was feeling particularly sluggish and I am finally feeling ready to jump back in.  I have an absolutely CRAZY busy week coming up since I am music director of a show that goes up next weekend so I am prepping myself to get back into my walking routine on Monday, April 3.  If time allows, I will do it sooner-- possibly even this afternoon (my last few hours of freedom until the show is over on Sunday the 2nd!).   Hopefully the weather will warm up in the next several days!

Now, to be slightly petty for a minute, I find that I am frustrated when I see people who sell shakes-which-shall-remain-nameless or fixes that last between 20 and 22 days on Facebook and other social media talk about clean eating.  THIS. THIS IS CLEAN EATING.  Don't get me wrong, do what works for you I truly believe that, but we have been eating seriously clean and whole for the past 26 days.  I am so happy about the way I am eating, particularly the hoards of vegetables and proper plate set up.  I feel like it's easy now.  I know what I can eat and what I can't and it really is becoming habit.  I just feel like there are so many lies out there about proper food consumption.  Have I drank too much of the (sugar, gluten, dairy, & soy free) Whole30 hypothetical "cool-aid" that now I am extra aware of other food/diet fads that are just not the same?  I just want to shout "NO!! GO BUY WHOLE30!!!" LOL.  To me, someone who has tried IT ALL, this is the answer and this is how I need to approach food forever (which reminds me, I must buy "Food Freedom Forever" before it's all said and done!).

By the way to everyone in this group...we ROCK.  WE REALLY ROCK.  I am so grateful for this forum and that I have a place to communicate how I am feeling and receive positive support from others in the same boat.  This has been seriously helpful and you all inspire me to keep walking past that candy aisle in CVS!!!! 

Day 27

We're having dinner at a friend's house on Saturday, and I decided to say "Hey can I bring a side and/or salad, and what we want to grill?" This opened up a long I/M about what we're doing, our restrictions, why, etc. I'm very proud of myself for standing up for my husband and me. That will be day 28 for us and no way am I going to blow it that close to the end! I'm still not feeling tiger blood, my sleep is pretty good, but I still have some insomnia most nights, headaches I thought were due to sugar are still plaguing me and my clothes are not fitting much differently. BUT, I know I'm eating the right foods, and good habits have been formed over the last 4 weeks! Especially cutting out snacking on food with no brakes. That one thing will change my life. 

Sugar is in everything, we know that. But I was so shocked to see it in a bottle of fresh horseradish!  Seriously? Shouldn't that just be horseradish? Makes a case for buying the fresh stuff and grinding it myself. Which kind of is the base layer of W30 - start with real, whole food and create what you need to suit your taste/recipe. 

My all-time favorite W30 recipe is Zuppa Tuscano, which I made last night after an unexpected wintery day. YUM. My husband even asked if we could have it when we're back to "normal" food. The kale is such a nice, fresh addition to a hearty, creamy soup. I also added some celery for crunch and a few fresh herbs I had on hand. I love soup of all kinds, and this was on the table in less than an hour. And guess what's for lunch? 

My favorite resources are Trader Joes and Pinterest. I also have new very expanded view of Amazon!

I'm very interested to see what day 31 looks like for me. Will my outlook change? Will I make poor choices because I have "permission?" What will my weekend grocery shop look like? Whats for dinner? I will follow the re-introduction but it will be really interesting to see what choices I make moving forward. I think they'll be influenced by this program for  my lifetime! 

Day 26!!! What?? How has this gone by so quickly? 

I have already decided that I will not go back to store bought ketchup again, and that Sunshine Sauce is a mainstay in my house now. I've been eating it on pretty much everything, including my scrambled eggs this morning. It may be the only way I can stomach eggs for the moment! I'm also very excited every time I look in the mirror because I can visibly tell that I've lost weight, and my clothes fit so much better now! I have even gone down a size in jeans! 

Another huge NSV is that I have the energy when I get home from work to take my puppy on a long walk. I even managed to get in 3 long walks when I was home sick on Tuesday. Usually when I'm sick, I'm on the couch all day with no energy whatsoever. This program has given me confidence, as well as a doable healthy lifestyle, and I couldn't be more thankful. I love having energy to make it through even tough days, and still have energy to take care of my family. 

7 hours ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

@kellyfoss Sorry about the sneaky salsa!  I am also feeling really great and was thinking about staying a little longer but I think I have successfully mapped out a preliminary plan for reintroduction that I am excited about.  I have decided to stay away from alcohol for a bit longer, at least through the end of Lent.  If pregnant ladies can do it for 9 months, I certainly can do it for 40 days!  I am nervous about dairy and gluten.  I have never had a serious issue with either that I know of, but the more I am reading about reintroductions, the more people I see who have had sensitivities.  I don't want to feel sick which is maybe why I want to stay on longer.  I am on Spring Break the second week of April so I am planning most reintros for that time period. 

When we started the whole 30 in February I was doing a good job of working out as well.  I love to walk outdoors and enjoy lifting weights or using weight machines at the gym.  I am not a fan of indoor cardio machines but try to use them on occasion anyways (the former Skyfit now Aaptiv app is helpful).  Unfortunately, I hit a bit of a stall with the working out about day 8 or 9 when I was feeling particularly sluggish and I am finally feeling ready to jump back in.  I have an absolutely CRAZY busy week coming up since I am music director of a show that goes up next weekend so I am prepping myself to get back into my walking routine on Monday, April 3.  If time allows, I will do it sooner-- possibly even this afternoon (my last few hours of freedom until the show is over on Sunday the 2nd!).   Hopefully the weather will warm up in the next several days!

Now, to be slightly petty for a minute, I find that I am frustrated when I see people who sell shakes-which-shall-remain-nameless or fixes that last between 20 and 22 days on Facebook and other social media talk about clean eating.  THIS. THIS IS CLEAN EATING.  Don't get me wrong, do what works for you I truly believe that, but we have been eating seriously clean and whole for the past 26 days.  I am so happy about the way I am eating, particularly the hoards of vegetables and proper plate set up.  I feel like it's easy now.  I know what I can eat and what I can't and it really is becoming habit.  I just feel like there are so many lies out there about proper food consumption.  Have I drank too much of the (sugar, gluten, dairy, & soy free) Whole30 hypothetical "cool-aid" that now I am extra aware of other food/diet fads that are just not the same?  I just want to shout "NO!! GO BUY WHOLE30!!!" LOL.  To me, someone who has tried IT ALL, this is the answer and this is how I need to approach food forever (which reminds me, I must buy "Food Freedom Forever" before it's all said and done!).

By the way to everyone in this group...we ROCK.  WE REALLY ROCK.  I am so grateful for this forum and that I have a place to communicate how I am feeling and receive positive support from others in the same boat.  This has been seriously helpful and you all inspire me to keep walking past that candy aisle in CVS!!!! 

TeacherFitJourneyy, 

I love what you said! Bravo! All of it... especially the shake part ;)

AND the "We ROCK" part! 

Yes! We all do! 

Shopping for the week is strange! What's for dinner? My 30 days is up Monday so Tuesday is reintroduction. Starting with a little dairy, I never ate much, but a few items have been missed. Sugar will always be a concern, and avoided (!)  but rice, some lugunes in moderation are a request oh my husband will be introduced. 

If I felt substantialy better on W30 I would live the lifestyle. But I just don't, so it's not worth the endless planning & prep, not to mention high fat content, to continue as a life long practice. Guess I'm one of the small percentage for which it doesn't provide results. That is disheartening. But hey, I can say I committed myself to the program and worked hard to complete the program. That feels good. 

Almost done, woohoo! :D I shopped and prepped for the entire week last night because we'll be going up until at least next Monday with 100% compliant meals. Then I'll slowly start my reintro before we leave for a trip on the 13th. But technically today would have been day 29 for me, and it feels real dang good to have made it this far. I've had three (!!) nights in the past week where I was restless exactly 0 times while sleeping, according to the FitBit. I have never slept so well in my life. My face finally cleared up all the way and I feel like a rock star with how my clothes fit. Tiger blood - better late than never!

What are you guys all planning for the week? Celebrations??

I am feeling nervous about reintroduction because of my Italy trip coming up in a month. I am praying that I don't have gluten or dairy sensitivities! I don't think I do, but I've also never felt this good, so clearly something about this lifestyle works for me. I don't want to get to Italy and suddenly feel like crap with no energy. I don't plan to go nuts and eat everything in sight, but I would like to eat some pasta, you know? 

Let's keep posting as we reintroduce! I love reading how everyone else is doing. 

After attending a party on Saturday where I couldn't eat any of the food (thank God I had dinner before going) and attending a field trip where they served Chick-fil-a (I packed my lunch), I'm glad that the 30 days is almost up. I don't plan to lose control, but it would be nice to have a burger with a bun (which is what I want on Wednesday), and it would also be nice to go to a party and be able to eat a few chips or a brownie or something. 

However, I plan on sticking to this lifestyle 80% of the time. It's been great to bring my lunch to work and not have to worry about paying for cafeteria food. It's also been nice to cook dinner. I love to cook, but I rarely did it before this, so it was nice to get back into that. I love how I'm feeling, I love that I have energy to do things, and I love how my clothes are fitting now! I am more confident in myself, and now I'm planning to see what other ways I can improve my life. I have never stuck to any diet for more than 2 weeks, but this time, I get to say I made it through the whole program! The pride that I have in myself for making it is worth everything that I've gone through this month to get here. And I can't wait to see how well my health keeps improving by sticking to the program the majority of the time. 

Today is my day 31!  Yay for me!!  I feel good about making it through 30 days....it is quite an accomplishment for me.  I plan to try to stay "whole30'ish".  I'm not sure I will have a true "reintroduction", but I plan to use a lot of what I learned...I will always be making homemade Mayo and Dump Ranch dressing..LOL  (my favs) and I still love eggs!  One thing I am looking forward to tonight is a glass of wine with dinner. 

BTW - lost 10.5lbs in 30 days! 

Best wishes to all and thank you for all your support over the past 30 days!

Day 31 - I did it. 

So glad I did, as I learned so much. I've mentioned here before the results weren't that great for me, but I'm still glad I did the entire 30 day period. I lost 6lbs which is not that impressive. My husband lost 10lbs, but honestly I think that is due to the fact he was a big evening snacker, which was eliminated for the program. My energy was never improved greatly, and work outs never did get much easier, so I exercised less!  I really began to be worried about the high fat content of coconut milk, cooking fat, not to mention a lot of the meat. I did a short rib recipe from the W30 book on Sunday and the veggies I cooked with them were literally swimming in fat. I never cooked that way before, and I just can't do it for the sake of what the books say. 

I learned several new cooking techniques and tried a lot of new recipes and LOVE my new immersion blender. I may never buy mayo again, the homemade stuff is so good. I worked veggies into every meal, and that's going to stay. I got an invaluable awareness of whats in our food, primarily sugar in many forms. Yikes! Even my favorite taco seasoning has sugar! Not to mention long ingredient lists full of words I can't pronounce. No more.

Will I do it again? Maybe. Will I subscribe to the lifestyle on an ongoing basis? Parts of it. I know several people who have done it and subscribe to the program 360 days a year, but the expense, insane planning/prep and difficulty being compliant while traveling just aren't feasible for my daily life. Moderation, awareness and good choices will be my program. And I'm very glad I had this 6 week period to study and apply the W30 principles. It's a great base for a lifetime of healthy choices. 

Well done fellow Feb 27 Newbies. Well done. Onward to a healthier life! 

DAY 30!  I hope we can all continue to post here about our reintros!  Thank you SO MUCH TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD AND ALL OF THE MODERATORS.  We did it!!

I posted about my Day 30 feelings and am going to continue to post as frequently as possible but didn't want to clog up the feed.  If you feel like following, link is below.  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.  

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

DAY 30!  I hope we can all continue to post here about our reintros!  

Congrats, you guys! You made it!

We do ask that if you are going to do reintroductions that you take it to theReintro area of the forum so as not to confuse anyone who comes along and sees the group having a wine and cheese party. ;)

Wow, today is Day 30! I still have one more day to go tomorrow because of my mess-up on Day 1. But I feel so great that I've come this far. I truly feel that my relationship with food has changed, and physically and mentally I feel spectacular. Don't know how much weight I've lost, but it wasn't really about that for me (although it has been a nice side effect). Learning not to use food as comfort has been life changing. 

On the other hand, I'm ready to have more balance in my life again. I work full time, study, have a husband with a different work schedule and a dog, plus friends and family I've barely seen this month. My husband, while very supportive, didn't do this with me, so I was on my own with the shopping and cooking. Because I am not willing to pay for expensive compliant food items (Tessemae's, etc.), everything really and truly was from scratch. I bought one emergency dinner from Snap Kitchen, one salad bar lunch from Whole foods and nibbled on a couple things at a baby shower, but other than that every single meal this month was something I prepared 100% from scratch. Pretty intense to do it alone. I don't think that's entirely sustainable for me, not right now anyway. 

Is this just my brain trying to rationalize going back to an unhealthy lifestyle? I'd like to think that it isn't. But with my history, I know I have to be careful. I will probably be back for a Whole30 (or at least a Whole20) after my Italy trip, and I'd like to stick to a lot of template eating in the future. I am so glad I did this. 

See y'all in the reintro section!

4 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Congrats, you guys! You made it!

We do ask that if you are going to do reintroductions that you take it to theReintro area of the forum so as not to confuse anyone who comes along and sees the group having a wine and cheese party. ;)

Will do! I'll start one in the reintros and link it here tomorrow. 

Took me awhile to come post ;)  But at this point I can say that I lost 6lbs over the 30 days. 

My NSVs:

My congestion was definitely from milk and it's wonderful to be able to breathe! 

The edema in my legs has subsided substantially (always allergen induced). 

My craving for sweets and junk has gone away. 

My eating habits improved and I'm feeling much more in control and confident because of it. 

My sleep habits improved. 

I could've lost more weight if I'd been more active (Injury limited this) or more careful with portions... Portions are something to master next round. 

All in all, I'm happy that I reframed my eating habits and sleep habits :)

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad we had this group to share the experience. You've all been invaluable! 

• 9 months later...
On 2017-03-17 at 1:00 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

It's sulphites/sulphates that are off limits... altho many of us choose not to eat nitrate/nitrites, they're not specifically off limits for Whole30.

I am so happy to read this. It's been hard for me to find Whole30-compliant deli meats, but my husband was just showing me some back bacon (Canadian bacon, for my US friends) that he bought. I won't eat it a lot, but I hope to make eggs Benny on sweet potato this weekend :D

• 1 month later...

Archived