February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see so many people doing well.  I have enjoyed prepping and choosing the different recipes I want to try.  Also spent like $12 on almond butter today so that was a new experience lol.  My boyfriend is an amazing cook and he's off on Mondays.  Text me during the day that he was flipping through the Whole30 book and found some recipes he wanted to try so he actually made dinner tonight and it was AMAZING.  Notably the sweet potatoes were so good.  He cut them into wedges, drizzled with oil and cinnamon, rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Baked at 375 for like 45 minutes and omg omg omg.  This is a new staple in our house, regardless of Whole30!  Also made the asparagus recipe in the Whole30 book and those were so good.  We had steak, cooked in duck fat (because he already had it...), seriously a delicious meal.  It was also great because I had a meeting at 6 o'clock and knew people would be eating the food they ordered from a pizza place.  I'm glad we ate earlier (around 5:30), I was satisfied during the meeting and didn't crave any of the food, and 3 1/2 hours later I am still not hungry.  Good stuff.  Grateful that he is being so supportive.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day 2 (and 3, 4, 5....).  Love reading through all of your posts.

10 hours ago, mandab17 said:

Hey y'all! I'm Amanda! 

I started today, and I'm really excited about this program. I bought the book on Saturday, and prepped last night. I love to cook, but I haven't done much of it lately because life is so hectic right now. But being in the kitchen, prepping my food for today made me very excited to get started on this program.

I'm doing this program for several reasons. The first is that I'm getting married in July, and I want to look and feel my best for that! However, and most importantly, I have spent the last 10 years gaining weight and feeling blah, and it's only getting worse. I don't sleep well at night, I'm always exhausted, and I have a couple of skin conditions that are getting worse despite the fact that I'm on medication for them. I also have General Anxiety Disorder, which I am also on medication for as well. I'm tired of being tired, of not feeling good, and of being on medication. It's obvious my body needs a reset, and I'm excited to see what happens in the next month!

I've never been good at sticking with other "diets" or lifestyle changes before, but I'm determined to this time. I also know that I'm going to need a lot of support, especially since I'm doing this on my own. 

@mandab17Just wanted to say CONGRATS and I am sure you are so excited for your wedding in July! Go you!! It will stick this time!

1 hour ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Glad to see so many people doing well.  I have enjoyed prepping and choosing the different recipes I want to try.  Also spent like $12 on almond butter today so that was a new experience lol.  My boyfriend is an amazing cook and he's off on Mondays.  Text me during the day that he was flipping through the Whole30 book and found some recipes he wanted to try so he actually made dinner tonight and it was AMAZING.  Notably the sweet potatoes were so good.  He cut them into wedges, drizzled with oil and cinnamon, rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Baked at 375 for like 45 minutes and omg omg omg.  This is a new staple in our house, regardless of Whole30!  Also made the asparagus recipe in the Whole30 book and those were so good.  We had steak, cooked in duck fat (because he already had it...), seriously a delicious meal.  It was also great because I had a meeting at 6 o'clock and knew people would be eating the food they ordered from a pizza place.  I'm glad we ate earlier (around 5:30), I was satisfied during the meeting and didn't crave any of the food, and 3 1/2 hours later I am still not hungry.  Good stuff.  Grateful that he is being so supportive.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day 2 (and 3, 4, 5....).  Love reading through all of your posts.

Love the sweet potatoes! They sound great. Rosemary makes everything delicious. 

Sometimes I do roasted sweet potatoes too, but with garlic powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and smoked paprika. I'll have to try your way now. 

P. S. Roasted butternut squash is sweet if you use key lime juice and rosemary. 

Have to keep the food interesting so I look forward to eating it :)

So, I know this is probably very early, but I dreamt about chocolate cake last night :P and in my dream I was so worried that I had eaten some without realising! So funny, I have definitely done many days without sugar before, but I guess because I'm thinking about it a lot, it's gone to my head! Die sugar dragon, die!

Otherwise day 1 went well, we had burgers (I made patties with mince, onion, garlic, green pepper and carrot) on a bed of salad and roasted sweet potatoes. We're eating the same thing again tonight because I don't like to prep every night :)

Go team! 

14 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Question - I don't have a decent food processor, just a Ninja smoothie maker. (An immersion blender and food processor are on the way) so I didn't make the mayo. Anyone else have success making it without decent equipment? 

I have a Magic Bullet, and it worked just fine when making the mayo. I don't have any way to pour the oil in while the mixer is going, but that didn't seem to affect anything. The mayo turned out delicious! 

Things I learned on Day 1:

-The Sugar Dragon is real, and it's angry when it's not fed.

-Hangry is a real emotion. (I learned this because I couldn't stomach my frittata yesterday because I put way too much onion in it...so I didn't eat a full meal until lunch.)

-I depended on sugar way more than I realized in order to have energy.

-Spaghetti squash is amazing, and I didn't miss the pasta with my dinner last night AT ALL!!! 

Happy Day 2! 

15 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Question - I don't have a decent food processor, just a Ninja smoothie maker. (An immersion blender and food processor are on the way) so I didn't make the mayo. Anyone else have success making it without decent equipment? 

I've made the type of mayo in the recipes for a long time and initially always used to make it just in a bowl with a whisk (I actually find this method to be better in some conditions, ie when it's really hot outside or when it keeps curdling). The way I make it is with 1 tsp dijon mustard (not powder, actual mustard) ,1 egg, salt and pepper. Whisk it around and then start adding oil. Mix and add oil until it starts getting stiffish and then add lemon, you can then add more oil (to get required thickness) and lemon (to get taste) until you're happy with consistency and taste. I don't find it difficult to mix like this, all done in a couple of minutes. I now make it in a small blender too.

14 minutes ago, KJ Jackson said:

Real Dijon mustard is not whole 30 compliant....?  I don't think? 

Hmm...I did check my bottle and it was fine, but will double check again.

Just looked at the whole30 website - 

Mustard: Read your labels

Mustard is a fine choice, just read your labels carefully. French’s Yellow is compliant, but beware your Dijon—it often contains white wine, which rules it out during your Whole30.

Mine has vinegar, not wine, so seems fine, but good point to double check that, thanks!

Ok, two days in the bag (I started Sunday). I wasn't starving yesterday and I didn't have any cravings. But I think I am having withdrawals! Last night right before bed (about 3.5 hours after dinner, my regular bedtime) I started getting a bit of a headache. By the time I got into bed I had a full blown head-pounder, was extremely nauseous (seriously thought I would be ill, but wasn't thank god) and got chills/sweats/hot flashes. I had severe night sweats (not super common for me, but they do happen on occasion) and was alternately freezing and overheated. I put an ice bag on my head and had a heating pad handy, and slept pretty good considering. I feel fine this morning but good lord it was rough! This was warned in the book under the timeline section, but I didn't think it would hit me so hard. 

I am "coming down" from a lot of whole wheat toast and grilled cheese sammies, tortillas, dairy (cheese, Greek yogurt and half&half in my coffee) and a pretty serious sugar addiction. I liken it to getting off drugs - the withdrawals are so bad, "using" again just isn't worth it! 

My biggest miss is still my vanilla protein powder smoothie and half& half in my coffee. I love the food for the most part and it makes me feel good but the adjustment is harder than I thought it would be for sure!  

Hang in there everybody!

Hi -

I started yesterday (27th)

It was  a great 1st day. I love to eat and I love all the recipes. I am always hungry and ate almost 4 meals yesterday. Got some great tips on adding some fat for dinner (avocado). That really kept me full. I have already learned so much.

Huge sugar cravings. Trying some deep breathing...

I wrote something long but then it got deleted. The short version:

-- Last night my stomach suddenly became, ahem, active and I had to run to the bathroom. That's my only "hangover" symptom so far. Sorry for the TMI!

-- Last night and this morning I had enough energy to take my dog for an extra-long walk. Coincidence? 

-- This morning I had eggs cooked with ghee again, this time scrambled. Had to force myself to eat 3/4 of it. I can't do plain eggs anymore, so I'm going to have to do something else for breakfast. Bummer--eggs are so easy and fast!

-- Only mild cravings so far, no different from my every day really. 

Oh, I'm in the hangover phase now. Headaches, exhaustion, general crankiness. Also, a lack of focus. I need this phase to end quickly. 

And stairs are my enemy right now. I used to be able to climb the stairs at work with no problem. Today, it almost killed my legs to do so. Gah.

I had a booming headache yesterday for my first day, but it was gone today.  Yay!  Today was good, haven't been hungry yet, which is astounding for me, although am mentally prepared if it shows up later on.  Last night's dinner was uninspired - pork chop and roasted veggies with rosemary, thyme and garlic was surprisingly bland, so am going to make a sauce to go with the leftovers tonight.  I'm looking forward to exploring new ways to cook and all the amazing recipes out there.  How is everyone else coping?

4 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

- This morning I had eggs cooked with ghee again, this time scrambled. Had to force myself to eat 3/4 of it. I can't do plain eggs anymore, so I'm going to have to do something else for breakfast. Bummer--eggs are so easy and fast!

@diamonds422I personally love eggs.  Did you think about making a salsa and having them with that?!?  That is delicious, and just as quick.  I also put a sliced avocado over the eggs when they come out.  This is actually something I do whole 30 or not (except there's usually cheese in it too!).  Definitely try some salsa!! Or omelette muffins!  I bake them on Monday and have them available for breakfast or a quick snack before dinner.

I love eggs too.. i keep,hard boiled eggs as a go to,snack or quick take to work bfast if needed.  I like my eggs with salsa or franks hot sauce and salt&pepper... spicy!   I prepped on Sunday....we ate the chili last night (recipe from the book)loved it!  Tonight we had the chicken cacciatore and I served it over some cauliflower rice.  Sauted the califlower rice in some ghee onions and garlic. S&P.  Prepping has made it easier..I would never spend that much time after work to,prepare a meal. I was struggling with a decent salad dressing...tried 2 from the book but didn't care for them, so,today I googled good seasons Italian...found a copy cat recipe and tweaked it to be whole 30 compliant..,basically no sugar and used light olive oil.  I like it much better!  I like to,make a good salad for lunch loaded with all kinds of veggies and some olives.  Day 2 done and so far so good.  Need to stay focused....

Hello Folks! I also started yesterday so today marks Day 2. Definitely have been hungry the last two days. I am extraordinarily active so just learning what is the right balance for portion sizes. 

That has been the hardest thing so far for me. It's also astonishing how many things have sugar in them! 

This has been a very helpful thread!  I will try to make the mayo in my Magic Bullet based on suggestions I read.  I am shocked that I have enjoyed my morning coffee for the past couple of days with Nutpod added to it; I truly didn’t think I was going to enjoy coffee without my beloved creamer.  

I am concerned about upcoming social obligations this weekend and ordering compliant foods in a restaurant.  I plan on bringing my own dressing and possibly bringing my GT Kombucha to pour into a wine glass while my friends share a bottle of wine. 

Archived