February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

12 minutes ago, cdd said:

Is anyone extremely thirsty?  I have been drinking water non-stop the last couple of days and then last night I even woke up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth and craving water.  I have a water bottle with me all day long and can't seem to fully quench my thirst.  I'm not sure if my body is just getting rid of toxins or if I am lacking something in my diet.  Anyone else experiencing thirst issues?

@cdd SO thirsty. I usually try to drink 84-96 oz of water a day anyway but it's almost 9:30 and I've already had 48 oz plus some iced green tea. I'm thinking it's because I've seasoned a little more with salt than normal but who knows! Good thing is that I just keep pounding the water lol. 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Are you salting your food?

An unquenchable thirst can be a sign of low sodium levels - remember that switching to whole foods can cause a drop in sodium intake of around 70% and your body needs sodium to function effectively...

Yes, I think I am salting enough.  I use the pink Himalayan salt when cooking my meats and vegetables.   I'll just keep drinking my water and hopefully it will get better the next few days. 

45 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

How is your fat intake @mandab17? Fat provides energy, and also prevents cravings - your breakfast is lacking in fat (& vegetables by the way), and it sounds like last night's dinner was low on fat also. Fat truly is your friend here.

What are some good sources of fat, especially for breakfast? 

6 minutes ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

@cdd SO thirsty. I usually try to drink 84-96 oz of water a day anyway but it's almost 9:30 and I've already had 48 oz plus some iced green tea. I'm thinking it's because I've seasoned a little more with salt than normal but who knows! Good thing is that I just keep pounding the water lol. 

So glad to hear it is not just me.  Like you, I will just keep pounding the water. 

3 minutes ago, eblanchardcf said:

What are some good sources of fat? 

Avocado, avocado oil, Home made mayo & mayo based sauces, olives & olive oil, nut/seeds & their by-products such as butters/ oils (use in moderation so every other day max), oil/vinegar dressings, coconut meat/milk/oil, ghee/clarified butter, rendered animal fats, fatty cuts of meat such as ribs, brisket or chicken wings/thighs with skins on...

15 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Avocado, avocado oil, Home made mayo & mayo based sauces, olives & olive oil, nut/seeds & their by-products such as butters/ oils (use in moderation so every other day max), oil/vinegar dressings, coconut meat/milk/oil, ghee/clarified butter, rendered animal fats, fatty cuts of meat such as ribs, brisket or chicken wings/thighs with skins on...

Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm behind on posting but I also started my first W30 on Monday, 2/27. So I'm on Day 4 right now as well. Going good so far, it's actually not as hard as I expected...? I'm almost afraid to jinx myself by saying that, haha. Although the constant cooking and dish-washing (don't have a dishwasher... fail) is very new to me. But I'm a natural planner and it's somewhat nice to just make a list each week, know what I need to get done, work in the kitchen a couple hours a day, and of course eat delicious, healthy food! Good luck to everyone.

Day 5

• I feel really good, rested, happy, high energy. 
  • My workout is still very challenging, legs were burning after just a few lunges, but I pushed through and got in 45 minutes, when I shoot for 55.
  • I'm a bit spacey. Just not quite "all there" with regard to focus, remembering what I was getting ready to do - vacant is a good word. Hoping this passes!
  • My husband is extremely fatigued. He says he is eating enough, and the food I'm preparing for him is good and there is enough of it. He's very cranky and I really hope this phase passes quickly for him. It makes me feel like I'm torturing him!
  • I may never by bottled mayo again. I finally made some last night - the easiest thing and so delicious! 
  • Nut-pods may just save my marriage. 
  • I bought way too much produce this week. We're eating a ton, but I need to do better at planning and buying accordingly.
  • Compromise to going to lunch with a work friend (one of my downfalls lately) is to have him grab something to-go and we'll eat together in the break room. I will have pity for him and his onion rings! 
  • My fat jeans are baggy!!! Finally! I'm heavier now than I've been in 12 years. My fat jeans were tight and I was terrified I would have to buy clothes in a larger size. After just 5 days I feel like I'll get back in my size 10 and maybe even size 8 jeans I bought when I was my thinnest in 2013. 
  • I feel like I have solved the biggest issue - binging  on food with no brakes. I could go nuts  with cookies, desserts, chips, candy - you name it.  Give me a bowl of something, a good book and an hour later I had consumed 1,500 calories.
  • Favorite quote of the week: "Eat for health, move for pleasure." 
  • This is likely going to become a lifestyle for me. I really love how I feel. 

1 hour ago, cdd said:

Is anyone extremely thirsty?  I have been drinking water non-stop the last couple of days and then last night I even woke up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth and craving water.  I have a water bottle with me all day long and can't seem to fully quench my thirst.  I'm not sure if my body is just getting rid of toxins or if I am lacking something in my diet.  Anyone else experiencing thirst issues?

YES! Me too. Ridiculously thirsty. Even more so today than yesterday and I had thought it was because I had too much protein yesterday, but now that you're mentioning it too... 

So far so good going into Day 4. Last night my slow cooker beef was a failure. The book said to add a bunch of water in the beginning, so I did, but I won't be doing that again. Made it way too watery and flavorless. I ate a small bowl anyway, and followed it up with a grapefruit. I made some sunshine sauce and had some carrot sticks dipped in that because I was still not feeling satisfied. This morning I ate one scrambled egg with half of a small avocado and Cholula and that was easy to get down. 

I made the mistake of looking at the Sunbutter label again last night and realized how much fat it has. That made me feel a tiny bit of panic. I know fat is important, but how much is too much during the Whole30? 

Today I woke up feeling pretty great, with high energy. During the drive to work I wished I could take a spinning class right then and there--definitely not the norm for me, haha. When I got to work I was much more chatty with co-workers than usual. Overall I still feel very committed to the program and am feeling pretty great about this decision after just a few days. Hopefully, this feeling will last. 

OMG I FORGOT! I had a crazy dream last night that I started eating a majorly non-compliant sandwich. White bread! Processed meats! Cheese! In the dream I ate about half before I realized my error. The funny thing is, it was a crappy sandwich. Dry, boring, nothing special. 

Anyone else have any cheat dreams to share? :lol:

Over the past couple of days, I just haven't been that hungry. I forced myself to eat three meals yesterday, and it looks like I'm going to have to do that again today. In some ways, it's a relief because before this program, I was almost always hungry. However, I couldn't even finish all of my lunch. And I have no clue what I'm going to do about dinner. I have to work late, so luckily I still have some leftover spaghetti squash and tomato sauce if it comes down to that. 

I just don't like forcing myself to eat.

I am also finding that I am not very hungry...forced myself to eat some chicken for lunch today.  That NEVER happens!  I will keep dinner a little lighter with grilled tenderloin and grilled asparagus.  I also find I am thirsty...so I really have been drinking lots more water than I usually do...maybe the issues are related...water is filling me up more so I'm not hungry?  Day 5 for me today and so far no "side effects" or issues...so far I am not finding it too difficult.  I think my weekend prep really helped and I plan to do the same this Sunday...shop and prep for the week.  I like reading the forum...thanks for everyone's help! 

Took me a while but I just realized I should find the group with my start date!!  Day 4 and I have the same complaint!  Im hungry, and not hungry like I want a cookie on top of a huge bowl of ice cream, but I'd eat anything healthy too right now!  I have trouble from 230-dinner time.  I don't think the portions are enough for me or I may be doing something wrong.  Any others starving out there???

3 minutes ago, Kick the habit said:

Any others starving out there???

If there are, they shouldn't be.....!!

We definitely don't want you to feel hungry.... What have you eaten over the past few days?

And welcome by the way!

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Thanks!  Breakfast was three hard boiled eggs, only one of the yolks, a half banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup of strawberries, 1/4 cup raspberries and 1/4 cup blueberries.  Lunch was the avocado chicken salad, one serving, but I added a bunch of plain arugula to it for substance.  I'm drinking water and black coffee and tea to get by but man, I'm hungry!  All my meals follow the whole 30 plan so they are a chicken dish with a side of veggies for lunch and dinner, no add ons, no extras or snacks.

5 minutes ago, Kick the habit said:

Breakfast was three hard boiled eggs, only one of the yolks, a half banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup of strawberries, 1/4 cup raspberries and 1/4 cup blueberries.

Your good on protein here, but why only one egg yolk? The yolk is where it's at!! I'd say eat ALL the yolks, try HALF an avocado and switch all that fruit for veg. Many people report that eating fruit in the morning leaves them hungrier sooner.... Plus fruit shouldn't push the veg off of your plate anyways. Get your breakfast just right & you'll find you won't be so hungry throughout the day - right now your body is probably trying to play a little nutritional catch up.

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I skip some yolks due to high cholesterol.  I can't seem to incorporate veggies with breakfast.  Its the only meal I add any fruits.  I do not eat fruit for lunch or dinner.  I am having eggs with broccoli tomorrow without fruit.  Im trying to keep breakfast fast and simple for work purposes.  Any other ideas for breakfast?  Should I have fruits with lunch instead?  Thanks!

On 3/1/2017 at 7:22 PM, gethealthyrightnow said:

Had really bad sweet cravings yesterday, last night and today.  I did not break, but was so tempted.   It helped to write about it in a journal I'm keeping.  I'm already straying from the Whole30 book meal plan.  I like eggs for breakfast and have almost always had 2 every day.  Having "dinner food" for breakfast is weird to me.  I also find that the recipes seem to have more food than 2 servings.  Maybe I just don't eat as much...not sure...but will keep at it.

I have a headache, but I think that's from lack of sleep.  I have a 14 year old labrador retriever I'm "nursing" while doing this - which means zero sleep at night.

Love seeing all the updates.  Thanks for sharing what you are experiencing!

How terrible to be dealing with your dear friend's demise. My heart goes out to you, and I admire your conviction! My 10 year old Golden is my heart, and I don't think could not do something this intense with such a heartbreaking distraction. Hang in there!

13 hours ago, Kick the habit said:

I skip some yolks due to high cholesterol.  I can't seem to incorporate veggies with breakfast.  Its the only meal I add any fruits.  I do not eat fruit for lunch or dinner.  I am having eggs with broccoli tomorrow without fruit.  Im trying to keep breakfast fast and simple for work purposes.  Any other ideas for breakfast?  Should I have fruits with lunch instead?  Thanks!

The myth that dietary cholesterol effects blood cholesterol has long since been de-bunked. You might want to have a read at >this article<, by Chris Kresser, or read the book 'Eat the Yolks' by Liz Wolfe.

Remember too that you don;t have to eat eggs for breakfast - how about a blended vegetable soup with some meatballs & mayo, or a burger patty with guac on the side? Even a chicken salad will work. Absolutely anything you eat for lunch & dinner you can eat for breakfast too. 'Breakfast foods' are not the way our ancestors used to eat. 'Breakfast foods' were a clever piece of marketing from the food industry...

Day 5 halfway done and I'm feeling good! Only experienced the foggy head and slight headache yesterday and today a bit, but on the whole feeling good!

I had my first real challenge last night, going to dinner at my parents' house. I said I'd bring chocolate mousse, so I held the bowl as far away from me as possible while I was mixing it up and made my husband eat the left over chocolate as soon as he got home to avoid temptation. I had to be so careful to think about it and not absently lick my finger or spoon while I was mixing, was pretty funny. Anyway, I succeeded and had no problem saying no to dessert and wine and explaining to my mom about compliant food, so it was a success, I was pretty happy with myself!

So far, I'm loving my egg breakfasts and am totally mad about egg and raspberry combination, sooo good!

Well done so far everyone, gooo team!

I added some avocado to my burger last night, and I think that helped. I woke up this morning feeling less tired than yesterday. I also added some avocado to my scrambled eggs this morning in order to keep up my energy. However, now I'm feeling sick. This feeling came on after I had a couple of sips of coconut water, and now, I feel like I can't even stomach my eggs. They're sitting on my desk, but I may have to put them away. Is it normal to feel like this? To be fair, I am a teacher, so it's always possible that I'm catching whatever bug is going around now. 

Archived