February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

Hi everyone! My name is Melissa and I am in Western Washington.I started on the 27th as well!  Just found this spot today looking up recipes.  Glad to have "met" people on the same journey!

Thursday was my toughest day! Work was awful and then we had friends over that brought wine...that looked delicious. Then we fed the kids dinner first (pizza) since I was so late from work that by the time the walnut pork roast was done I was full on "don't talk to me with that wine in your hands right now, I want to kill you" mode.

Yesterday however was my first day without the evening headache/crash. Very incouraging. Yay for day 6!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checking in on day 6.  Sometimes, I don't feel like I'm doing this right because I'm not hungry - at all - and aside from the first day of headaches, I haven't had many physical issues.  I tend to be a "late to the party" type of person so am thinking it might all come to a volcanic eruption midway through the 30 days, but it would be great if it didn't.   I am craving salty, crispy things like chips, but it's fairly fleeting, which is great.  I had to pick up some produce yesterday and happened to hit the store just as freshly baked bread was coming out of the oven and that was soooooo hard not to succumb to temptation, but thankfully produce is at the front and I practically ran to get it, then get into the checkout. 

Made the Whole30 cookbook chili yesterday and it's yummy, but had to up the spices big time.  I normally eat chili with tortilla chips and missed them a bit, but otherwise still enjoyed it.

I have to say that this group is the biggest source of support and am so happy to have found it.  I love reading everyone's comments and stories - it's such a great community!  We're almost 25% of the way through.  Look at us go!

Day 7

Went to my weekly Pilates (reformer) class today and it was so hard!! Although I'm a bit over weight (25lbs) I'm strong and in pretty decent shape. I always keep up or even excel in this class but today my muscles were quivering. I had a good breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, spinach) first, but am trying to convince my body it doesn't need the protein smoothie it's relied on for years. My instructor was sympathetic and has been through the Whole30, and promised me week 2 will be easier.

I did meal planning and wave 1 of shopping (Costco & Trader Joe's tomorrow) but I'm just not excited. I'm actually kind of emotional and feeling like I could cry at the drop of a hat. I'm hungry but nothing sounds good. I have a fridge full of compliant food but there's nothing for lunch.

Last nights leftovers don't sound great but I'll give it a try.  I'm hoping this will pass and I'll regain the "I feel great!" Wave of the last few days. 

Mexican salmon cakes on a salad with mango salsa for dinner should be tasty. I've learned to make a double batch of every thing! 

My fiancé and I didn't go to the movies last night, but we are going tonight. Luckily, we're going to a late movie, so that gives me time to eat beforehand. Now, if I could just figure out what to eat....

I have actually been hungry today, which is a welcome change from the past few days. I also realized while eating breakfast that I have to find something other than eggs to eat. I am getting sick of them. 

Today was also the first big test for me. The baker for my wedding cake dropped off samples at my parents' house, and they and my fiancé got to try it. Luckily, I brought some apples with me so I had something compliant to munch on while they ate cake. We also went out to eat afterwards, and that was a little harder than I thought it would be. I ended up having hamburger steak with a baked sweet potato and green beans. 

I'm still struggling to find enough fat to eat with my meals so that I have energy. Hopefully I'll be able to figure that out in this next week. 

I did notice today that my engagement ring is starting to feel loose, so that's definitely a plus! And I've been sleeping so much better! My dad wants my mom to do this program just for that reason. 

• Moderators
On 3/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, diamonds422 said:

I thought I was going to have it easy (or at least easier) overall because my first few days were so effortless, but I was soooo wrong. I am in full-on "kill all the things" mode and it is rough. Last night I slaved over the stove again only to find that I don't even really like sunshine sauce. I had made a double batch the night before and was feeling all accomplished, and it turns out it's really not all that. Maybe it will be better with compliant almond butter (if I could find any). So I have a bunch of leftover food that isn't even that good. Fortunately, my husband eats anything. 

For the first time I had to deal with my demons as far as not using food as comfort. Got some bad news yesterday about an issue I've been dealing with forever and I just wanted to throw in the towel and buy a bottle of wine and some takeout. Didn't do it. This morning, I am supremely cranky.

One day at a time... Sending good vibes to all!

Make this pad thai with your sunshine sauce, I think mixed in with the other ingredients, you'll like it. Or if that sounds like more trouble than you want to go to, do a stir fry with chicken, all the vegetables you like (like onions, bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, snap or snow peas, carrots, zucchini and/or yellow squash, cabbage, water chestnuts -- really whatever you like), and add just a little bit of diced pineapple, the sunshine sauce, and if you like spicy, maybe some red pepper flakes.

Had to have my first morning snack today.  I think maybe I didn't have enough protein and/or fat for breakfast. :(  Tried the egg roll in a bowl recipe from pintrest.  Maybe if I add an egg and some avocado?  I'll try adding that with the leftovers.  

Hi Everyone!  I actually started on the 26th and am on day 8 of the program.  I have not posted anything yet because life is just so busy that it is tough to stay up to date on forums and such.  Life is probably extra busy these days because of all the meal prep and cooking I have been doing!  I was not expecting all the extra time in the kitchen.  So far I have not had many of the symptoms that we are told to prepare for.  I did have some fogginess in the beginning, and have been crazy hungry even with all the protein we have been eating.  Oh, and I do not typically remember my dreams, but I have had a few vague dreams about food :lol:.  I do feel that my energy has started to increase in the past few days, but from everything I have read it seems early for that.  Maybe this is because I was pretty sugar conscious before starting the program???  A few days this past week I have substituted my usual afternoon black coffee for green tea, although I miss the coffee flavor, the tea was enough to keep me energetic until bedtime when I crash.

I purchased the Real Plans food prep and find their meals to be fairly overwhelming to cook.  Additionally, we are salad people and used to eating a TON of veggies, little meat, and bread.  This week am going to have to add veggies to the Real Plans meals that I have.  Hopefully that will help the meat to go further so I am not cooking as much!  We have 2 small kiddos, so anything to save time.  I will say that the meals we are eating has definitely taught me new cooking skills.  We have cooked a lot with coconut butter and ghee.  This week I will use duck fat and bacon grease - something I never imagined I would actually want to eat!

Good luck to everyone!

Hey there Feb 27 group,

Does anyone have advice about being hellllla hungry every day? I'm HUNGRY between meals. I think that probably means I'm not eating enough protein/fat/etc., but I have been eating large portions and I eat until I am absolutely full feeling. Like I can't have another bite. However, without fail, I feel hungry within about an hour of my meal. For example, today I had the following:

*Breakfast: almond milk w/ chia seeds and berries; leftover sweet potatoes; coffee with almond milk (I know this was too low on protein, and possibly on fat?)

*Pre-workout mini-meal: a few pieces of pineapple and about 8 pecans

*Post-workout mini-meal: beef jerkey; a couple pieces of pineapple and about 8 pecans

*Lunch: kale and veggie salad; guacamole; chicken/pepper/onion fajitas (no tortilla, of course) with guacamole 

*Now: I've been hanging on until dinner but, would it be bad for me to have a couple of apple slices with almond butter? Or a piece of prosciutto with some bell pepper and jicima? I don't think I'm craving sweets. Just HUNGRY. And I'm not going to start snacking mindlessly, I promise. 

If you read this far, thank you. What do you think about this? Help!

<3, Miasofia

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template?  IT asks for 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, a plate full of veggies (think 2-3 cups) and added fat.

Your breakfast has no protein and I somehow doubt you ate 3 cups of sweet potato

Pre workout is recommended to be fat and protien... giving your body fruit means you're giving it easy access to energy in the form of sugar and it won't learn to use fat for fuel.

Post workout is recommended to be lean protein and starchy carbs. No fat as it slows down the absorption of protein

Fruit is recommended to be 0-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals, not as snacks.  Nuts and all nut products are recommended to be limited (think a closed handful of nuts around every other day at max... that's about 8 almonds)

You're hungry because you're not eating enough.  Check out the meal template, add more veggies, reduce your fruit, make sure you're eating fat at every meal and try and get those pre and post on target.

1 hour ago, miasofia said:

Hey there Feb 27 group,

Does anyone have advice about being hellllla hungry every day? I'm HUNGRY between meals. I think that probably means I'm not eating enough protein/fat/etc., but I have been eating large portions and I eat until I am absolutely full feeling. Like I can't have another bite. However, without fail, I feel hungry within about an hour of my meal. For example, today I had the following:

*Breakfast: almond milk w/ chia seeds and berries; leftover sweet potatoes; coffee with almond milk (I know this was too low on protein, and possibly on fat?)

*Pre-workout mini-meal: a few pieces of pineapple and about 8 pecans

*Post-workout mini-meal: beef jerkey; a couple pieces of pineapple and about 8 pecans

*Lunch: kale and veggie salad; guacamole; chicken/pepper/onion fajitas (no tortilla, of course) with guacamole 

*Now: I've been hanging on until dinner but, would it be bad for me to have a couple of apple slices with almond butter? Or a piece of prosciutto with some bell pepper and jicima? I don't think I'm craving sweets. Just HUNGRY. And I'm not going to start snacking mindlessly, I promise. 

If you read this far, thank you. What do you think about this? Help!

<3, Miasofia

Here's what I do pre/post workout. 4:45am is 1Tbs. Nut butter, can't do more than that so early. Post workout I have a hard  boiled egg with some almond milk to take some daily meds. Once I get to work I have egg/veggie frittata and a banana. I'm finding it hard to eat enough at lunch too. I get full fast and it's not enough to last. Sometimes I have to have something between meals, it's not much, a bite of protein salad, 4-5 nuts. I know it's not on program but if I'm lightheaded I have to. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

Here's what I do pre/post workout. 4:45am is 1Tbs. Nut butter, can't do more than that so early. Post workout I have a hard  boiled egg with some almond milk to take some daily meds. Once I get to work I have egg/veggie frittata and a banana. I'm finding it hard to eat enough at lunch too. I get full fast and it's not enough to last. Sometimes I have to have something between meals, it's not much, a bite of protein salad, 4-5 nuts. I know it's not on program but if I'm lightheaded I have to. 

Are you looking for feedback or suggesting that she follow similar to what you do?  Post workout is to be lean protein and starchy carb, so egg white is fine, but no yolk... the almond milk will also have fat in it, so try and leave that aside.

We don't expect you to be lightheaded, but you need to work on your meals so that you're geting 4-5 hours between them with no need to snack due to lightheadedness.  If you would like feedback on your meals, please feel free to post a few days worth including portion sizes, specific veggies, fat and protein, fluid intake etc...

Week 2! Day 8! There's a part of me that cannot believe I have made it this far yet the other part of me is like, yeah, you got this.  I am feeling good, loving the three meals a day and the fact that I never need to snack.  I drink a lot of water because I am thirsty and also because it makes me feel better (also, teacher = talk. all. the. time.).  My only concern thus far is if I am having too much fat in my diet.  I've looked over the meal planning pdf http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf and am uncertain if I should be having just one of those fats per meal or if I can have more than one.  For example, if I cook a chicken breast in coconut oil to put in a salad, can I also have olives and 1/2 avocado in that salad?  Or should I just be having the oil from the chicken and that satisfies my fat for the meal?  I am feeling full very satisfied after my meals but could I possibly be using too much fat?   In addition, I carry around a decent amount of extra weight and my ultimate goal for the Whole30 is to reach food freedom to aid in weight loss (ideal weight is about 50 pounds from where I am right now...yikes!).  Anyway, thoughts on fat intake?

In other news, congrats to those still going!  We have made it through our first Whole30 weekend! Woo!

29 minutes ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

For example, if I cook a chicken breast in coconut oil to put in a salad, can I also have olives and 1/2 avocado in that salad?

Yes you can - I always have at least x2 fats per meal, and often x3 - for instance, today I've had a soup that contains both ghee & coconut milk, and I also had a serving of cabbage & carrot slaw with a generous dollop of mayo.

You're aiming for around 4-5hrs of satiety (or longer if necessary depending on your schedule), so if you're lasting that long then you're on target. If you're hungry sooner you probably need some more, if you're waiting 8hrs before you're ready to eat again then you probably need to cut back...

@jmcbn thanks that is helpful.  So my breakfast today was eggs cooked in coconut oil, tomatoes, asparagus, prosciutto and I had tea with some coconut milk.  I am usually not hungry even when meal time comes so I think I will try to cut it back a bit and find the right balance, so tomorrow I wouldn't add quite as much coconut milk to the tea, or maybe none at all.  Thanks again-  I really appreciate you chiming in!  

Made it through the first week with no issues...today day9 and I could hardly get out of bed.  I slept really good but still tired...so got out my book to review and I think I am experiencing some fatigue as part of the process.  In one  respect I'm kind of glad because I was worried not having issues that maybe I was doing something wrong last week.  I am never very hungry either.  So I continue on!!!   I prepped yesterday.  Chili, frittata  banger sausage and dump ranch dressing.  All things I can use during the week for various meals. Btw hubby & I made the citrus ginger halibut over the weekend....DELISH!  Have a good week everyone!  

21 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Feeling overwhelmed with my prep list today! Beef stew, meatballs, protein salad, frittata, etc. 

I love the mayo but ONLY if I use light oil. The heavy EVO turn d it green...

Ditto -- I actually used avocado oil, and really don't care for the flavor at all (which is too bad, since I used nearly the whole bottle and it cost something like $14). I'm sucking it up and using it anyway. I also had a real problem getting the mayo to set up -- had to use an extra egg and do the whole slow pour again with the liquid from the first try, but that did the trick.

Happy Day 8!

I successfully made it through the first Whole30 weekend, and it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would (except for the part where I couldn't sample wedding cake). I'm still working on my fat intake--I'm really tired today, despite getting plenty of sleep last night. I had the Protein Salad for breakfast with some cashews and grapes mixed in. I'm full, but exhausted.  

I did a little food prep last night, but not nearly what I should have done. We had such a busy day that we didn't even get home until almost 6pm. However, another batch of tomato sauce is now in my fridge, waiting on the spaghetti squash to go with it! That is probably my favorite Whole30 meal so far. 

Does anyone have any ideas for quick breakfasts that do not include eggs? I'm already sick of them. 

On 3/4/2017 at 8:08 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Make this pad thai with your sunshine sauce, I think mixed in with the other ingredients, you'll like it. Or if that sounds like more trouble than you want to go to, do a stir fry with chicken, all the vegetables you like (like onions, bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, snap or snow peas, carrots, zucchini and/or yellow squash, cabbage, water chestnuts -- really whatever you like), and add just a little bit of diced pineapple, the sunshine sauce, and if you like spicy, maybe some red pepper flakes.

I didn't see your post until now, but on Saturday night I mixed the sunshine sauce with ground beef, bell pepper, onion and some red pepper flakes to make lettuce wraps and it was DELICIOUS. My husband and I gobbled it down. I definitely liked it mixed with other things and warm. Great tip.

We made it through the weekend, people! Woo hoo!

The fatigue hit me like a wave on Saturday. I went to work for a couple hours, came home, went to bed to read and relax and ended up taking a three hour nap. By the time I woke up it was 10 minutes before the art opening and I was feeling so out and cranky that I cancelled on my friend. I am not a person who naps, ever. I'm just glad this happened on a Saturday, because it would have been hell during a full day of work. 

Yesterday I was a little less tired and went to Trader Joe's and Kroger to get ready for the week. Of all the obscure ingredients I've looked for, I'm surprised that the only one I haven't been able to find anywhere is canned freaking sweet potatoes. All I can find are canned yams in syrup. Oh well, I will guess I will just boil and mash a sweet potato. I did LOTS of prep yesterday: mayo, herb/citrus vinaigrette, a ton of roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, and cooked lots of chicken to have salads for lunch. And I still have some leftover sunshine sauce. So hopefully, this week's dinners will be easier to make come together. 

Best of luck to all as we go into week 2! As I'm sure y'all know, this is the week people are most likely to quit, so let's stay strong and keep helping one another. I love reading everyone's posts and I think this forum is just awesome. 

Thank you all of you! Reading along is keeping me strong. I managed to make it through the weekend too and there were tough temptations and menu hurdles to overcome but I'm super proud of myself! I think that having been several days in and off of sugar was key. 

I had a family emergency and had to rush out of town. That meant dining out... and ended with my family ordering rounds of margaritas the last day... and OMG they looked good BUT my W30 progress felt way better. I enjoyed my Perrier and lime and got over the craving. Ordered salad after salad with grilled whatever on top, pared down non-compliant toppings, and had vinaigrette on the side. 

Now I'm back home and loving my ability to make what I want. 

There were moments when people kept tempting me to throw in the towel, but reading about all of your trials and successes kept me on track. 

Thanks everyone! Here's to us and how far we've already come! 

Archived