February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10 and I am SO with everyone who has recently (like as of yesterday and today) started to struggle with the foods we can't eat and the feeling of being hungry but not finding compliant foods appetizing. Last night I would have killed for a cheeseburger or even a french fry! Thankfully, I just ate my pork and green beans and went to bed early instead of caving in to my cravings.

I feel like being a third of the way in and knowing how much work it was to get to this point, it just would NOT be worth it to give up now! So, despite the struggles, I'm really still motivated to stay the course. :) Reading everyone's posts has been so helpful too, keep up the amazing job everyone!

Well, I messed up.

I was getting my lunch out in the break room and decided to read the label on my balsamic vinegar again, and thank God I did. It doesn't have sulfites in the ingredient list, but it does have caramel coloring. That's a no-no because it's made with sugar, I learned after a quick Google search on my phone. Thankfully, I hadn't eaten any of it yet today. But I did eat some on Day 1 with my protein salad. No big deal, I can tack on another day at the end. It could have been a lot worse. I had already been considering extending my month to a Whole35 or Whole40, so what's one more obligatory day, right?

That's what I'm telling myself, but I am sitting here at my desk wanting to cry a little. :( I bought that bottle long before the Whole30 was even something I knew about, so why I didn't examine it more closely before starting, I do not know...I wish caramel coloring were on the sneaky sugars cheat sheet!!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

I wish caramel coloring were on the sneaky sugars cheat sheet!!

I fully agree with this and will send the suggestion to HQ to see if they can update the document with that.

"The feeling of being hungry but not finding compliant foods appetizing"

YES, that is where I am. I make a pretty killer pumpkin custard (bananas, pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, pecans)  and it seems that's the only thing I can choke down. NOT enough nutrition and I'm going to get sick of that quickly. 

Really hoping this passes. Not eating enough does terrible things to your metabolism...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BajaChick said:

I make a pretty killer pumpkin custard (bananas, pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, pecans)  and it seems that's the only thing I can choke down. NOT enough nutrition and I'm going to get sick of that quickly. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this type of baked good is not in the spirit of Whole30 and should be left aside till you're done.  It doesn't meet the template and it's extremely fruit heavy and 'sweet breakfasty food', both of which we want you to lean away from...

36 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I fully agree with this and will send the suggestion to HQ to see if they can update the document with that.

Thanks! I think that would help a lot of people. My Google search turned up quite a few forum threads about caramel coloring, so I suppose this comes up a lot. 

I also just want to throw out a general thanks to all the mods on the forum for helping keep us on the straight and narrow. It must get old answering the same questions over and over again, but know that your assistance is invaluable to us newbies and we appreciate it so much! 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

I also just want to throw out a general thanks to all the mods on the forum for helping keep us on the straight and narrow. It must get old answering the same questions over and over again, but know that your assistance is invaluable to us newbies and we appreciate it so much! 

I think I can speak for most of us when I say, :wub:

Day 10 and I woke up in a funk too! Not super hungry but eating like I should. Last night I really wanted a twinkee of all things? I haven't eaten that since I was a kid! It is keeping me going knowing we are a third of the way through!!! 

Anyone else grieving dairy? I really miss cheese! 

4 hours ago, kellyfoss said:

I'm on day 10 technically but YES, oh my goodness, I've been feeling this the last couple of days as well. Mostly at breakfast, but just in general. I think maybe it stems from too much repetition of the same ingredients/food boredom/too much of the same textures. I'm going to try to incorporate new meats and veggies into my routine, and maybe more "crunch" to my plates. Hoping that helps. Also going to slightly reduce my portion sizes.

OK for crunch--because I was SO missing that-- I sliced some sweet potatoes really thin with mandolin slicer.  Tossed in oil with everything salt.  Layered them on a pan with parchment paper, bake at 350 for twenty minutes, flip (rotate trays if necessary) and bake another 15-20 until desired crispiness.  Just what the doctor ordered.  I really need that crunch.  If you have a spiralizer (which I LOVE), you can also do the same with sweet potatoes curly fries.  It was delightful.

Looks yummy... wish I could find W30 compliant bacon!  I am limited on grocery stores in our small,town...no TJ or Whole Foods stores...would be a 2 hour drive to get there..lol.  I made the banger sausage and sweet potato mash from the whole30 book recipes last night...yummy.  I have sausage for bfast this morning too.  I haven't had too many cravings but would love a slice of pizza!  It's only 30 days and I'm almost have way there...like the little engine that could!  Have a great day everyone and keep up the good work.  Thanks for posting here too. I like reading how others are doing. 

@BajaChick I've been having the nausea nonstop since starting yesterday morning. The thought of eating food (that I normally love) is horrible. The only things that seem bearable right now are fruit and white/yellow potatoes, probably because they're the closest to the sugar/carb fix I'm constantly craving. Seeing your post, I'm not super hopeful that this feeling will go away, but good luck to you!

We've made it to Day 11!! 

I'm having some NSVs going on, most notably that my engagement ring is getting looser, and pants that were super hard to zip up on Monday were so easy to get on today! My acne and eczema have gotten worse, but I knew going into this that they would get worse before they got better. And they are starting to clear up now! I'm still in the same food funk as everyone else, it seems. I'm having to force myself to eat things, and I am really wanting some non-compliant food right about now. 

My fiance and I are planning a day trip to somewhere this weekend with our dog. I'm pushing for Lookout Mountain, GA so we can give our dog some much needed exercise. I know that I need to plan ahead and pack some compliant food, but I don't know what I should pack. I was thinking some jerky and Larabars, but is that good enough? Also, what stores carry compliant jerky? I was at Publix last night, and all the jerky I looked at had added sugar. 

We're getting there, guys. Let's keep it going! 

I just came home completely ravenous.  I eat lunch at 11:30 and am usually fine until 6 o'clock but today, 4 o'clock came and I needed to eat.  I quickly scrambled some eggs with compliant deli meat and have some celery and almond butter.  Upon further consideration I definitely think my lunch was lacking in the fat department so that is probably why I was so hungry.  I knew I needed to eat right away to avoid temptation to non Whole30 foods.  Feeling better already.  I need to work my second job from 5:30 to 8:30 tonight so I will probably need a small snack after but hopefully I am covered through the evening.  But holy crow was I haaaaaaangry just now.

Day 12

Feeling lots better today, not nearly as nauseous and eating what I am supposed to. I don't think I like egg fritatta. I had to force it down today, so there goes a good way to get veggies with breakfast. If I'm lacking in anything it's the leafy green stuff. Maybe TMI, but I am super plugged. I thought by day 12 I would be used to the foods, but nope. Even exercise and coffee don't do the trick. Another day another symptom! 

I did have the chance to give up yesterday. I made some W30 compliant clam chowder, but at the last minute I couldn't bring myself to add coconut milk. I just don't know how it would impact the flavor, and it was a special treat for my sick husband. So I added whole milk with arrow root powder (love that stuff, Ill never use flour again for thickening!) and it looked so good! And tummy soothing and just good. I make some killer soups, and this was no exception. I could have given in and had that for dinner with my guy, but I didn't even taste it. I froze what's left and made roasted sweet potatoes with chicken/apple sausage and a salad. So much more work but NO WAY am I giving up on freaking day 12! 

Small victory, but Ill take it!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mandab17 said:

We've made it to Day 11!! 

My fiance and I are planning a day trip to somewhere this weekend with our dog. I'm pushing for Lookout Mountain, GA so we can give our dog some much needed exercise. I know that I need to plan ahead and pack some compliant food, but I don't know what I should pack. I was thinking some jerky and Larabars, but is that good enough? Also, what stores carry compliant jerky? I was at Publix last night, and all the jerky I looked at had added sugar. 

Compliant jerky is pretty hard to find... Epic bars are probably the closest thing along with Chomp sticks and the like...

Larabars are approved for emergencies only and planning a hike is not an emergency.  You can bring tinned fish, olives, meatballs, cooked chicken, roasted veggies, avocado etc... it's not difficult to pack real food for a hike and you'll be better fuelled if you do. Take a google search for 'whole30 picnic' or 'whole30 brown bag' or 'whole30 hike' and see what comes up... leave the processed food behind and eat real food while you're right in the middle of amazing nature!

I am having real cravings for the first time, possibly because it's that time of the month. Hadn't really had any until now. Energy is way down, I suppose for the same reason. Not much else to report! And I see I'm the first post of the day, so I suppose we are all just chugging along and happy to be out of the early phase. I already feel better in just about every way overall, but I am ready for some tiger blood! Hope that happens for me. 

Have a great weekend, all! 

14 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

I am having real cravings for the first time, possibly because it's that time of the month. Hadn't really had any until now. Energy is way down, I suppose for the same reason. Not much else to report! And I see I'm the first post of the day, so I suppose we are all just chugging along and happy to be out of the early phase. I already feel better in just about every way overall, but I am ready for some tiger blood! Hope that happens for me. 

Have a great weekend, all! 

"we're all just chugging along" is about right! I'm feeling like I'm in a groove but still don't have much of an appetite. My energy during my workout was down as well, but I don't know if that is still leftover from the first days of no carbs or because I've been too tired to work out! I passed up doughnuts, bagels, coffee with CREAM (I miss that so much) and a buffet lunch of really high end and delicious looking sandwiches and side salads. My "treat" was red grapes with lunch. Amazing how fruit is seriously a treat these days. I used it eat it without brakes, so this program taught me the value of moderation with fruit. Weight Watchers makes all fruits and veggies "FREE" points, and they say to eat as much as you want. I now see the folly in eating a huge bowl of watermelon for lunch. Every day a new lesson. 

My meal planning for next week is done, and is a nice variety of repeats and new menus.  Another skill I learned, planning instead of just going to the grociery store and buying a bunch of groceries! Much less wasteful this way :)

All seems to be going good.  Made it through day 14!  Made a small mistake today...was out getting groceries and was getting hungry so I Bought cashews...ate a few before I checked the ingredients...to my surprise cottonseed oil...gave them to my daughter to take home...I don't think the very few I ate qualifies me to have to,start over and it truly was a mistake.  I'm also confused about sauerkraut....I've read on some posts in the forum that it is hard to find compliant sauerkraut....I bought a can of it at Walmart...ingredients are prepared cabbage, water and salt...I had some this week....?  Anyone else have any thoughts about sauerkraut?  I have been trying to very hard to be compliant and reading labels,like crazy!  I keep,checking the book to be sure I am following the rules...I am feeling pretty good and proud I've made it this far without any real side effects.  Tomorrow prep day...I have been making the chili from the book every Sunday and have it for the week.  I really like it...and I never thought I could get sick,of eggs...but I'm almost there.  I love eggs...but this week I stared to not!  Lol. 

• Moderators

Two things about sauerkraut... it's often hard to find compliant because they put wine in it, but it is out there as you've seen.

If you're just eating it for flavor, canned pasturized sauerkraut is fine (delicious in fact).  If you're wanting to choose to include sauerkraut because you want the probiotic effects, it needs to be a raw, fermented product. This is often found in the salad or deli coolers... there are a few compliant brands and they give you the flavor you're after along with a great hit of probiotics for your gut!

Looks like everyone is in a groove the last few days. I have gotten pretty used to the program. A few times I have created a meal on the fly which I wasn't sure I'd be able to do within this 30 days so that's good!  My fridge is looking seriously depleted so big shopping and prepping day tomorrow. Happy weekend !!

Day 14! I can't believe tomorrow is the halfway point already. I've definitely gotten pretty comfortable with everything by now. Had my first meal at a VERY non-compliant restaurant yesterday and managed it with ease, got a salad and modified the heck out of it. Today is shopping day! We're going to drive the extra 20 minutes to Trader Joe's today to scope out what kind of new stuff we can find there, so I'm excited about getting some really good produce. Hope everyone's weekends are going well!

day 14. I am feeling ok. Last night we went to my grandson's birthdy aparty and I ate ahead of time to make sure I did not give in to pizza and cake. My daughter had a veggie platter so I made it through. phew. 

The last couple of days have been tough, though. My mind keeps wanting non compliant food. But I am hanging in there for a couple more weeks. Almost there!

A nor'easter is slated to drop about a foot of snow here in New York in the next couple of days, so we did our shopping last night after the party. I was very proud of us.

My daughter and her husband are doing the Whole 30 too, which motivates me!  

thanks for being here!

Archived