Military Dude without the traditional Time Frames

Frank Z

Good evening! 

I'm about to being this fantastic sounding lifestyle change and am having some issues getting my plan straight.  I'm looking at meal plans and it seems like I'll spend half my weekend cooking meals for the week.  I'm looking for some questions to be answered...  

Here's my story.

My typical day starts at 3:30am.  I'm at the gym by 3:50am for a serious lift and some cardio.  Currently, when I'm done with the workout, I slam a protein shake and head on to work.  I hit the gym this early as I have organized physical training with my Army unit at 5:30am.  The "training" session is pathetic and usually a waste of time.  I'm an Profession (job) instructor and the PT is tailored to the students are just entering the Army.  The PT is slow, methodical and more instructional than physically demanding.  So I workout before the PT sessions.  Also, at least twice a week, I'm not even allotted time for PT (between the hours of 5:30 - 6:30am) as I might have something going on with the students.

So, workout for an hour super early, then on to work.  No time to really eat anything in there.  I'll get to eat by 7:00am when I come home for a shower.  Some times, I'll have to have breakfast with me since I'm not doing PT at work and will have to be in uniform "working" starting at 5:00am sometimes.  

Here is my dilemma.  I want to make meals on Sunday to prep for the week.  I have found a few meals that I can make in bulk and pack up for the refrigerator at work.  The thing I keep seeing is not one meal is the same through out the week.  

Is it frowned upon to have the same meal at the same time two or more days in a row?

People talk about food boredom.  I don't care about that.  I care about my health and physical fitness.  I have ZERO issues with scrambled eggs every morning.  Lunch would be grilled chicken and veggies everyday as I can make all of that on Sunday.  

So, to sum it all up.  My mornings usually suck royal rear end Monday - Friday.  Being able to meet the requirements of the program while still getting what I need after a hard workout is goal number 1.  Variety?  A very distant second.  Lunches will be brought in to work so I need ease of making over variety.  Dinner however, free game!!  I'm down to get all Cooking Channel in my kitchen...  

One more thing, I can't remember.  Is protein power outlawed?  Even unflavored non-whey powder?

Thank you for reading my rant and taking the time to answer.  I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and are ready for the week!!

Have a great week!!

V/r

Frank Z

• Moderators

You can eat the same thing every day if you want. Over time, it's good to have some variety, just because different foods have different amounts of different nutrients, but changing up dinner most days and lunches from week to week should be fine. Lots of people eat basically the same breakfast on weekdays for months and months, just for convenience.

Scrambled eggs every day is fine -- you want to have some vegetables with it too, but that could be roasted vegetables you cook on the weekend and reheat, or things that cook fast that you could chop up the night before so it's ready to go, like zucchini or summer squash, spinach or kale, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions. You'll probably want to add some fat as well -- olives, avocado, mayo.

Protein powder, if everything in it is compliant, is okay, but not an optimal choice. I think the only way to find one that's compliant is to get one that's egg whites with no added anything. I'm guessing you're thinking of a post-WO meal here -- we'd encourage you to try real food instead, lean protein and starchy vegetable. So, chicken, turkey, tuna, or egg whites, with sweet potato or potato or pumpkin, for instance.

I eat the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day in the work week, then prep on the weekend. So my meals switch every week and it's fine. If for some reason I'm in a real rut and grumbly about chicken and veggies for lunch on a Thursday, I'll have the chicken and veggies for breakfast, whatever I had prepared for dinner as my lunch, and then breakfast for dinner. I refuse to give up any free time I may have in the evening to cooking a different meal for the next day so I eat the same thing all week. As long as you try to get some variety in the rotation throughout the month, all will be fine. You don't need to use anyone's recommended meal plans...it sounds like you already have a decent idea of how to put together a meal, so just look at the template and go from there.

Archived