Nut sensitivity

Hello, 

I am 20 days into my first Whole30. Finding it very easy and feel amazing - most of the time. I have felt for awhile that I have a but sensitivity. When I began, I thought it may just be peanuts so I didn't exclude nuts in general. In the last three weeks I've been eating various nuts to assess my body and feel I'm sensitive to all of them. 

I'm fairly certain, though compliant with general Whole30 rules, that I should give up nuts in general. My concern is mainly that because the point of the 30 days is to completely heal your body (especially leaky gut which I'm almost positive I have), that these last 20 days haven't really healed me because I've still been eating inflammation inducing foods (nuts). Is this true? Should I give up nuts and start over? 

• Moderators

If you think you are having a negative reaction to nuts, you should definitely stop eating them (and all the stuff made from them, so no almond milk or almond butter either).

I don't think you have to start over, you haven't broken the rules of Whole30. However, you are right that you may not have gotten as much healing as you would have if you hadn't been eating nuts. What I would do is stop eating them for the next 10 days, and then reassess and decide what to do from there. Ten days should be enough to get some results, if it's the nuts that were causing your issues. If you're feeling better, but feel you could be even better still, you can decide to keep going at that point. If you're not noticing any changes, it might be something else you're eating causing issues, in which case, you'd want to look back at what you'd been eating and see if there were any obvious culprits.  And whether you're feeling better or not, if you decide it's not worth it to you to keep going, you can always stop, and you'll still have done a Whole30, even if you didn't get the results you'd hoped for -- you might decide this if you have a special event coming up that you feel you can't or don't want to try to stay Whole30 compliant for, for example.

Archived