Women Probs- This is gross but I need to ask!

LA28

I have been on Nuvaring for several years, with no issues at all. I am on day 25 of my second Whole30. The first whole30 I noticed that my all my period symptoms completely vanished! No cramps, bloating or anything. It was almost magical! This time, I'm in 25 days and at about 15 days (and still going!!) I have been having some sort of (breakthrough bleeding/or whatever you want to call it). Gone to the doctor twice now and they all tests came back negative. She honestly told me she wasn't sure what was causing it! I'm supposed to have my period in a few more days. Could this be a result of the drastic diet changes? has anyone else had anything similar happen? Just wondering if it's all the new food and my body adjusting or something deeper? Like I said, I've never had this before and have been using everythign else the same for several years.

My experience with Nuvaring is that I can be on it for a few years at a time, and then at some point, my natural underlying cycle will start fighting it somehow and I'll get 2 week long, dragged out very light periods until I go off a while and reset. This sounds very much like what I experience when it's time for a "Nuvaring vacation".

I experienced the same thing on my first whole30. About a week before my period was supposed to arrive, I started spotting. But heavier than spotting, almost like a regular period. Which was incredibly odd because I'm on hormonal birth control, and shouldn't that trump all dietary changes? A friend of mine on whole30 also experienced it. I've heard that the breakthrough bleeding could be caused by weight loss (if applicable, and it was for me), as well as a sudden flux in nutrients, like more fat and far fewer cabs. Either way, strange and annoying, but certainly not gross or abnormal!

I had something kind of similar happen. I have the minera IUD, I've only had one or two instances since it was inserted 2 years ago that I have had any bleeding. After about day 40 on whole30, I had a period that lasted about a week. Even prior to getting the IUD, my periods only lasted 1-3 days, so I'm thinking it is due to my diet changes.

My experience with Nuvaring is that I can be on it for a few years at a time, and then at some point, my natural underlying cycle will start fighting it somehow and I'll get 2 week long, dragged out very light periods until I go off a while and reset. This sounds very much like what I experience when it's time for a "Nuvaring vacation".

This happened to me with Seasonique/Seasonale. I had to reset my self and it took a while to get back to normal. I got to the point where I would have to give myself a period every three weeks instead of every three months. I just recently quit BC to get my body right, though. It kind of weirds me out having synthetic hormones in my body--especially while I am trying to be as clean as possible with myself.

I'm actually experiencing something similar right now. I'm on day 7,and had a period about 2 weeks ago. Then yesterday out of the blue i started bleeding again, and pretty heavy. I'm on BC too, and only ever have my period for about 3 days normally. And my face, i've broken out something terrible. I never break out this badly.

This is my second whole30 and i don't remember this happening in the first one. Could this be the diet too???

I was on Nuvaring when I started Atkins a few years back. I think my first period or two were fine (and super short due to Nuvaring), but then I had a 17 DAY period. Ugh! I went to the doc and everything checked out fine. I think it is an effect of the weight loss or hormone effects from such a drastic change in eating.

Hopefully things go back to normal for you!

I hope so too Lixer, i really hope so.

I'm thinking about going off BC all together. Well at least for a few months, and see if that helps. I've been on it for over 10years now, and that can't be good for the body. I'll just have to try natural remedies for BC.

This happened to me with Seasonique/Seasonale. I had to reset my self and it took a while to get back to normal. I got to the point where I would have to give myself a period every three weeks instead of every three months. I just recently quit BC to get my body right, though. It kind of weirds me out having synthetic hormones in my body--especially while I am trying to be as clean as possible with myself.

I am wondering Laura, if you had any side effects from giving up BC? Like how were your hormones?

I hope so too Lixer, i really hope so.

I'm thinking about going off BC all together. Well at least for a few months, and see if that helps. I've been on it for over 10years now, and that can't be good for the body. I'll just have to try natural remedies for BC.

I am wondering Laura, if you had any side effects from giving up BC? Like how were your hormones?

So far, I feel fine. This is my first cycle without it in a few years. I have been reading up on the FAM method and just started tracking my temperatures. I think I actually ovulated a few days ago, so that is good. I have read that it can take a while for that to start again. I was pretty mild mannered on the BC, and I haven't noticed any significant change that I could attribute to withdrawal alone.

So far, I feel fine. This is my first cycle without it in a few years. I have been reading up on the FAM method and just started tracking my temperatures. I think I actually ovulated a few days ago, so that is good. I have read that it can take a while for that to start again. I was pretty mild mannered on the BC, and I haven't noticed any significant change that I could attribute to withdrawal alone.

Thanks Laura for the information. So far i'm on day 2 no BC hahah, but i'm also in the middle of a period. So i think i might download an app to record when things are happening and try and get myself back onto a regular cycle. I have also read it can even take years to get back to normal, after being on BC for so long :o so lets hope its not too long.

My last two attempts with hormonal birth control (Mirena in 2008 - 2010 and pills in 2012) have been disasters. I did well on the hormone-free Paragard IUD (2010 - 2011). When I tried pills five months ago I had to stop after 6 weeks because of random spotting and just feeling sick. Even if my husband hadn't had a vasectomy, I can't imagine using hormonal bc ever again. I'd have gotten another Paragard. My body feels so clean and balanced now. I don't want to "pollute" it. :)

So glad I found this thread and don't know why I didn't look harder before! Will write more later (gotta head to work) but man it is annoying and worrisome when my cycle is so out of whack. Has been since before Whole30 but spotting and bleeding for 5+ days mid cycle is typical for me. No BC for a while now and we just TTC. Very disheartening but am going to see an Repro Endo next week as well as an alternative med doctor. Sigh....

• 4 weeks later...

Hey LA28, I've been on NuvaRing for about 10 years now and I take it continuously (no week break every 3 weeks) because I have endometriosis. Since starting the Whole30 (I'm on day 25) I have been spotting the entire time! From the looks of the comments, and other threads in the forum, it seems like out-of-whack menstrual cycles are pretty common! I hope it clears up for the both of us.

Archived