My fruitless, nutless, larabarless Whole30

HarperM123

So as of today I am embarking on my second round of Whole30. I successfully completed my first round this past January and was beyond pleased with the results! Unfortunately, I still battled some food demons throughout: overeating fruit, relying on Larabars, gorging on nuts and almond butter, and binge eating :wacko: For this round, I am determined to go beyond simply staying compliant and truly change my reliance on certain foods, as well as challenge my mental relationship with snacking/bingeing. During my first round I successfully wrote down all of my meals and vaguely kept track of physiological and mental responses. I also  completed a fast-track introduction and was lucky enough to not have any super adverse reactions. However I did find that I feel my best when I closely stick to the Whole30 template. I've stayed mostly Whole30 compliant over the past month, however after giving my sugar dragon some leeway, I've found that it is rearing it's head quite violently again. I am logging my meals, exercise, and reactions on here in an effort to be more in tune with my body than I was during my first round. I am completely eliminating fruit, Larabars, and any nuts or nut products this round. 

For some context, I am a 22 year old first year graduate student whole is also working full time. I have a good Whole30 support system with my mother and best friend also completing the program. My significant other, although not on board with Whole30 is incredibly supportive. I have been consistently health conscious and active for about the past four years, however the Whole30 was still a huge dietary change for me (fat was the enemy, oats and Greek yogurt were staples). My typically activities include running, plyo-metric work, free weights, and occasional yoga. I am working on Kayla Itsine's BBG program currently. I am on a budget friendly Whole30, so needless to say grass-fed meat and organic produce aren't always on my radar. I would love any sort of support or constructive criticism as I complete this journey! :) 

Pre WO - Egg Yolk

Workout - BBG Week 5 Legs

Post WO - Egg White and 1/4 Cup sweet potato

Breakfast - Chopped romaine, 1 whole sliced tomato, 1 palm shredded chicken, 2 Slices Proscuitto, Tessemae's Ranch. 1 cup coffee with collagen peptides

Lunch - 2 cups unstuffed cabbage roll (ground turkey, garlic, olive oil, cole slaw mix, tomato)

Dinner - 2 palms of tilapia, 2 cups Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch, 1 tbsp mayo

Day 2!

Breakfast: Chicken apple sausage, sauteed spaghetti squash, mushroom, and zucchini, tahini on the side

Lunch: Tomato basil chicken with butternut squash over spinach (I would highly recommend this! http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-tomato-basil-chicken-whole30/ :P)

PreWO: Egg yolk

Workout: 3 mile jog

PostWO: Egg white, sweet potato

Dinner: Tilapia, cruciferous crunch, Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette

Day 3

Rest day

Breakfast: 2 cups of spaghetti squash, mushroom, and zucchini mix, 1 chicken apple sausage, and 2 tbsp tahini.

Lunch: 1.5 palms of tilapia, cruciferous crunch, Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Snack: handful of cherry tomatoes

Dinner: 2 cups of unstuffed cabbage roll with about .5 cup of sweet potato

I wasn't satisfied after dinner so I had an extra tablespoon of tahini since my dinner was lacking in fat. It did the trick :D In addition to my meals, I'm having one cup of coffee with a scoop of collagen peptides every morning. I experienced some digestive issues my last round so I'm also trying out the Natural Calm magnesium supplement. So far I haven't noticed much difference besides sleeping like an absolute baby. Overall, I haven't experienced any Whole30 symptoms besides being a little more sluggish than normal. 

14 hours ago, kirkor said:

XSQnKw2.jpg?1

Haha hoping i'm not too ambitious here! :blink:

Day 4.

PreWO: None

Workout: BBG Week 5 Arms & Abs, 10 min HIIT

PostWO: Egg white

Breakfast: 1 cup romaine, 1 whole tomato, 1/2 cup mushrooms, shredded chicken and prosciutto, 1 egg, Tessemae's ranch

Lunch: Tomato basil chicken with butternut squash over spinach 

Dinner: Cruciferous crunch, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 2 pickles (weird combo but it hit the spot)

Others: Kombucha, coffee with collagen peptides, lemon ginger tea, natural calm 

My energy was way up today! I'm experiencing some abdominal cramping and bloating. I'm suspecting the cruciferous crunch is to blame. Surprisingly my workout felt much better without a preWO snack this morning. It often sits on my stomach pretty hard, so I'm wondering if fasted workouts are the way to go. 

Day 5

Breakfast: Chicken apple sausage, spaghetti squash, zucchini, and mushroom mix, 2 tbsp tahini

Lunch: Romaine, chicken and prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, Tessemae's ranch

Workout: BBG Week 5 Fully Body, 10 minute HIIT

Post WO: Egg White

Dinner: Cauliflower rice, roasted parsnips and zucchini, tilapia

Day 6

Breakfast: Chicken and prosciutto, spinach, cherry tomatoes, parsnips

Lunch: Unstuffed Cabbage Roll, 1 tbsp of tahini after for fat addition

Snack: Chomp stick

Workout: 3 mile run

Dinner: Sweet potatoes, mixed peppers, ground turkey, 1/2 avocado

Other: Coffee w/ collagen peptides, kombucha

Still no serious symptoms! I have recently tried avoiding starchy vegetables for breakfast in an effort to see if it makes a difference in my energy levels in the morning. After adding parsnips to my breakfast today, my theory was confirmed. I was SO SLEEPY all morning and even into the afternoon!

I had few moments of reflection today. The weather was gorgeous where I live, and I attended an outdoor festival filled with cocktails, food trucks, and sweet snacks. I was enjoying my day so much and kept thinking of how any of the mentioned treats would fit the aesthetic so perfectly. After an internal battle as to why exactly I'm completing another Whole30, I got a black iced coffee to sip on for the rest of the event. Big picture? The fun I had was a result of my company and the beautiful springtime weather. Food, you weren't important here :P

Does anyone have any tips for more mindful eating? I find myself scarfing down meals all too often due to my busy schedule, totally out of the Whole30 spirit. I have been hiccuping and burping like crazy lately and I fear that this is the cause. 

i try to chew my food 27 times before i swallow.  its supposed to help with digestion and has really really slowed down my eating.  i started this years ago....and now, i don't even have to count, i'm just a slow eater...and it totally feels normal.  at first you feel like its ridiculous.  

i read somewhere in college that it helps get your digestive enzymes going and helps with metabolism? lol.  i'm sure part of that is true.  but whatever the reason....it does help me slow down a ton.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:01 AM, LadyMoon79 said:

i try to chew my food 27 times before i swallow.  its supposed to help with digestion and has really really slowed down my eating.  i started this years ago....and now, i don't even have to count, i'm just a slow eater...and it totally feels normal.  at first you feel like its ridiculous.  

i read somewhere in college that it helps get your digestive enzymes going and helps with metabolism? lol.  i'm sure part of that is true.  but whatever the reason....it does help me slow down a ton.

I tried this at lunch today. It took me my full 30 minutes to get my meal down but I definitely felt more satisfied afterwards! Also, no hiccups :D Thanks for the tip! 

Day 7

Breakfast: 2 eggs, ground turkey, bell peppers, parsnips, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: Romaine, cherry tomatoes, tuna, homemade mayo, 2 pickle spears

Snack: Epic bar, cherry tomatoes, carrots (so munchy) 

Dinner: Tilapia, spinach, sweet potato, tahini

My oh my this day was rough. My sweet tooth was rearing it's head all day and I could feel my binge urges coming on. I ate a huge amount of food at dinner, definitely more than is recommended on the meal template. I'm not proud of overeating, but I am SO proud of being able to ward off a post dinner binge like I normally would have engaged in :D another win, I've noticed I use food as a way to procrastinate. Whenever I sit down to do work at my home, I make multiple trips to kitchen to take bites of this and that, which ultimately leads to binges. I'm going to start having my long study sessions at school or local coffee shops until this behavior isn't a habit anymore. 

Day 8

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1/4 avocado, zuchinni, mushroom, cherry tomato scramble

Lunch: Chicken, roasted carrots and broccoli, mayo

Dinner: Turkey burger over romaine with tomatto, onion, and mustard. Sweet potato on the side.

Workout: 45 min walk at incline

I could not keep my eyes open today. The Whole30 sleepy stage has hit me so hard. I also experienced a weird bout of nausea this evening before dinner? This is not a normal occurrence for me. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Day 9

Workout: BBG Week 6 Full Body

PostWO: Egg White

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, zucchini, mushroom, spinach, tahini 

Lunch: Romaine, tomatoes, onion, turkey burger, mayo and mustard

Dinner: Pork loin, cauli rice, roasted carrots and broccoli

I'm still in a major slump :wacko: My workout this morning was painful. I didn't work out during the first two weeks of my first Whole30, so this is my first time experiencing the temporary decreased endurance/strength than comes during this time. It's certainly discouraging, but it shall pass. Some good though, I haven't snacked at all the past two days. Not even a bite while making my meals. Major NSV for this chronic snacker.

Day 10

Breakfast: Bowl of zucchini, mushroom, and spinach with chicken apple sausage, 1/4 avocado, 1 egg to top it off

Lunch: Cauli rice, roasted carrots and broccoli, chicken, 1/4 avocado

Dinner: Pork Loin, sweet potato, romaine salad with cherry tomatoes and Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette 

STILL exhausted today, but less exhausted than yesterday. I think I'm finally seeing the light. Another day of no snacking in the books! I'm still experiencing some slight nausea? I'm very confused by this and can't really identify what would be causing it. Any guesses based on my meal log? For reference, I'm not really writing out measurements for my protein and veggies but they are up to par with the meal template. I go about 5  hours in between meals, am salting my food, and drink about 100 oz of water a day (I weigh around 135-140)

Day 11

Workout: BBG Week 6 Arms & Abs

Post WO: Egg white

Breakfast: Bowl of zucchini, mushroom, an spinach with pork loin, 1 egg, 1/4 avocado

Dinner: Turkey burger with mayo, sweet potato, romaine and tomato salad with Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette 

My nausea has turned into straight lack of appetite. Getting food down isn't painful, but I'm definitely feeling meh about it. From searching on the forums it looks like this is just a phase people experience sometimes and there's not really an explanation for it. I'm planning on trying to whip up a fancy meal this weekend to see if it helps get me a little more excited about eating. On the bright side, I'm definitely feeling an increase in energy! This Whole30 is going sooooo much faster than the first one. I'm attributing it to this way of eating starting to become second nature. There's no over-analyzing everything last morsel I put into my mouth anymore. I know what works, I know what doesn't, and I am feeling in control as ever B)

I'm just starting my first Whole 30 and I have enjoyed reading through your journal. It's very real. Thanks for everything. Every bit of good and bad is helping to push me in the right direction. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 hours ago, HarperM123 said:

Day 11

Workout: BBG Week 6 Arms & Abs

Post WO: Egg white

Breakfast: Bowl of zucchini, mushroom, an spinach with pork loin, 1 egg, 1/4 avocado

Dinner: Turkey burger with mayo, sweet potato, romaine and tomato salad with Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette 

My nausea has turned into straight lack of appetite. Getting food down isn't painful, but I'm definitely feeling meh about it. From searching on the forums it looks like this is just a phase people experience sometimes and there's not really an explanation for it. I'm planning on trying to whip up a fancy meal this weekend to see if it helps get me a little more excited about eating. On the bright side, I'm definitely feeling an increase in energy! This Whole30 is going sooooo much faster than the first one. I'm attributing it to this way of eating starting to become second nature. There's no over-analyzing everything last morsel I put into my mouth anymore. I know what works, I know what doesn't, and I am feeling in control as ever B)

I'm on day 12 and experiencing that same loss of appetite! Especially in the morning for breakfast. Hoping it goes away soon. I'm trying to mix up what I eat too, in case that helps. Hope it passes for you!

On 3/10/2017 at 1:37 PM, kellyfoss said:

I'm on day 12 and experiencing that same loss of appetite! Especially in the morning for breakfast. Hoping it goes away soon. I'm trying to mix up what I eat too, in case that helps. Hope it passes for you!

I experienced this too!  All the way until about day 9 or 10.  i'm day 18 today, and the last two days i wake up really hungry.  Like to the point i'm thinking about making breakfast the night before.  my advice?  enjoy the lack of appetite while you can...its mush easier to do this when it doesn't matter what you eat, because you don't want anything, but you know you have to! ugh...no fun!

I'm also drinking about 100 oz of water a day and i think that helped flush things out

Day 12

Breakfast: Cauliflower rice, bell peppers, turkey burger, egg, mayo

Lunch: Chicken, green bean, sweet potato with tahini

Dinner: Spaghetti squash, chicken sausage, tomato, onion, olives

Workout: BBG Week 6 Legs

Post WO: 2 egg whites

Day 13:

Breakfast: Three egg omelet with spinach, tomato, olives

Lunch: Spaghetti squash, chicken sausage, tomato, onion, mayo mixed in 

Dinner: Coconut chicken curry (http://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-curry-with-coconut-milk-43-pts/)

Snack: Epic chicken bites, apple & strawberries

Workout: 45 minute incline walk on treadmill

Day 14

Breakfast: Three eggs, spinach, sweet potato

Lunch: Romaine, tomato, cucumber, baby carrots, with chicken, hard boiled egg, Tessemae's ranch

Snack: Scoop of leftover coconut chicken curry, apple and cantaloupe

Dinner: Buffalo wings, sweet potato fries, brussel sprouts

If you'll notice, I caved and had fruit the past two days. I noticed some negative effects it had (increased hunger between meals and increased cravings), and I think this will help propel me through the last half of my Whole30 without giving into this again. I'm super proud of myself for making it as far as I did without it, and even more proud of myself for not letting one slip turn into a binge on other foods I'm choosing not to eat. Moral of the story, no guilt, only a learning experience :rolleyes: Other than that, things are moving right along. I'm not feeling negative effects anymore, but don't feel quite far enough to be seeing any significant NSVs. I was absolutely STARVING on day 14. Maybe the time of the month? Maybe I hadn't fueled properly the rest of the week? I'm not sure the cause, but I listened to my body and gave it plenty of fuel. 

On 3/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, Abcd said:

I'm just starting my first Whole 30 and I have enjoyed reading through your journal. It's very real. Thanks for everything. Every bit of good and bad is helping to push me in the right direction. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No, thank you!! This absolutely touched my heart. I'm so glad I've been able to help in any way. How is your experience going so far? 

On 3/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, kellyfoss said:

My appetite has definitely found it's way back. I'm laughing at myself for ever complaining about it being gone :lol:

Day 15

Breakfast: Chicken apple sausage, egg. kale, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: Chipotle (carnitas, guac, lettuce, pico)

Dinner: Ground beef with Rotel over romaine, black olives, topped with Cholula

Workout: BBG Week 7 Legs

Other: Kombucha, coffee with CP

Dinner 16

Breakfast: 3 eggs, kale, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Homemade sweet potato chips, ground beef with Rotel, spinach, Cholula

DInner: Romaine, radishes, and mushrooms topped with Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette, chicken breast

Other: Kombucha, coffee with CP

My motivation these fast few days has been very low. I don't really have much to say as far as good or bad things happening. Hopefully being on the downhills slope will help pick up my spirits a bit. 

Day 17

Breakfast: Egg frittata (spinach, mushroom, cherry tomato) and 1/2 of an avocado

Lunch: Chicken with roasted broccoli and mushroom. Tahini for dipping. 

Dinner: Roasted butternut squash and taco salad (romaine, peppers, green onion, ground turkey, rotel, cholula, cauli rice, guac)

Day 18

Breakfast: Egg frittata (spinach, mushroom, cherry tomato) and 1/2 of an avocado

Lunch: Chicken with roasted broccoli and mushrooms. Tahini for dipping and handful of olives on the side

Snack: Epic bar, salted cucumber

Dinner: Ground turkey with rotel over a baked sweet potato. Spinach salad on the side with Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette 

Looking for tiger blood, finding sloth blood. Is that a thing? I feel like my energy levels are working in reverse this Whole30. Maybe I need to add more starchy carbs? I'll try that the next couple days and see if I feel any better. If anyone has any other suggestions based on my meal log I'd love to hear because right now I'm having trouble staying awake throughout the day :( In other news, my IBS has been flaring up. I've had it pretty under control since I started my first Whole30 about 3 months ago but for some reason I've been experiencing a lot of pain again. Looks like I'll need to start paying closer attention to triggers. My first hunch is avocado. I've been chowing down on it lately. 

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now but believe in the Whole30 and what it can do for me the second time around. I'm still learning a lot about myself and my food freedom. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a turnaround these last 12 days! :D

Day 19

Lunch: Romaine, peppers, green onions, topped with ground turkey, Rotel, guac, Cholula, and a hard boiled egg

Dinner: Spinach, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, chicken, tahini

Workout: BBG Week 7 Full Body, 10 minutes of HIIT treadmill

Day 20

Breakfast: Spinach, brussel sprouts, butternuts quash, chicken apple sausage, 1 egg

Lunch: Spinach, mushrooms, radishes, and cucumber topped with tuna, mayo, and Tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette

Pre WO: Egg yolk

Post WO: 2 egg whites

Dinner: Romaine, ground turkey with Rotel, sweet potato, green onion, topped with Cholulua

Workout: BBG Week 7 Arms & Abs, 10 minutes of HIIT on rowing machine

Day 21

Breakfast: Cauli rice, cherry tomatoes, and spinach, chicken sausage, 1/2 avocado, 1 egg

Lunch: Spinach, radishes, cucumber, mushroom, cherry tomato, and chicken salad covered in Tessemae's balsamic

Snack: Hard boiled egg, salted cucumber and sweet peppers

Dinner: Spaghetti squash, can of diced tomatoes, mushrooms, ground turkey

Workout: LISS, 45 minute incline walk

Um hello tiger blood!!!  Whatever was going on last week has left the building. My energy levels are up and stable. I am in an optimistic mood. My complexion is brighter. Let me yell it from the rooftops, I AM WHOLE30 :D Hopefully I can ride this wave all the way to the end of Day 30.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, HarperM123 said:

No, thank you!! This absolutely touched my heart. I'm so glad I've been able to help in any way. How is your experience going so far? 

I'm loving this!!!

I started on a very lax gluten free diet in November to get rid of migraines. At the same time I was told to stick to a diabetic diet because I was having sugar issues (turns out it was insulin issues, not sugar, but diet required same changes). With those two things started prior to Whole30 plan, I was "ready" for the eliminations of this one. I was eating a lot of dairy, peanuts, and legumes, though, and that has been the hardest on me to ditch. I reach for the cheese (we have 8 people in our house and I can't keep them from eating cheese) and then remember that's not on the plan. My husband and I keep laughing that when we move we can have our fridge the way we want it. 3 months til then. We're already planning our next Whole 30 without the junk around the house. (We live in a multigenerational house with friends & family because I can't say no to people needing a place to stay and we moved in to help take care of my aging father. We're moving away now. Rude of me, huh?)

I'm impressed you're doing this without nuts and Larabars. I live on nuts and allow myself a Larabar only when I'm on the go (I keep them in my car, not my house for that reason). I need more fruit in my diet so I'm not including that. :)

Day 22

Workout: BBG Week 8 Arms & Abs

Post WO: 2 oz chicken 

Breakfast: Sweet potato, ground turkey, egg, & spinach frittata

Lunch: Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, and chicken covered in a balsamic vinegar/mayo mix

Lunch: Romaine, cuban pork, guacamole, and 1/2 a sweet potato with ghee

Day 23:

Workout: LISS, 45 minute incline walk

Lunch: Romaine, cuban pork, radishes, cherry tomatoes, guacamole

Dinner: Tandoori chicken, roasted broccoli and cherry tomatoes, 1/2 sweet potato

Day 24

Lunch: Steamed broccoli and carrots, Tandoori chicken

Dinner: Brussel sprouts, mushroom, and chicken in balsamic mayo, 1/2 sweet potato with ghee

Snack: Prunes 

Let me start by explaining my dried fruit consumption. The tiger blood I experienced on Day 21 was short lived. I mentioned earlier that I had been having some digestive issues. For reference, I suffer from IBS characterized by constipation. I had been able to manage this for the past couple months as well as stop taking my medications. However, the past couple days I have been experiencing a horrible flareup. My stomach has been painfully distended. Naturally this has influenced my mood and motivation negatively, as well has induced a horrible cluster headache. On top of that, I started a new HBC this month that has been presenting negative side effects that have been exacerbated by the start of my cycle. So, ultimately, the prunes were a last ditch attempt to get my digestive system going using a magnesium supplement, drinking over 100oz of water a day as well as ginger and green tea, and exercising.

To be frank, I've been pretty miserable and lost a lot of my vigor for the Whole30, again. It's discouraging that I feel as if I am following the program so much more religiously during this round and am struggling so much more. For now, I'm going to use up the FODMAP foods in my fridge then eliminate them for some time, drastically up my fat intake, and depending how I feel on day 30 extend my Whole30 by a couple days. For any readers, I'm sorry for the debbie downer post. Hopefully my next update will come with higher spirits :) 

On 3/21/2017 at 9:08 AM, Abcd said:

I'm loving this!!!

I started on a very lax gluten free diet in November to get rid of migraines. At the same time I was told to stick to a diabetic diet because I was having sugar issues (turns out it was insulin issues, not sugar, but diet required same changes). With those two things started prior to Whole30 plan, I was "ready" for the eliminations of this one. I was eating a lot of dairy, peanuts, and legumes, though, and that has been the hardest on me to ditch. I reach for the cheese (we have 8 people in our house and I can't keep them from eating cheese) and then remember that's not on the plan. My husband and I keep laughing that when we move we can have our fridge the way we want it. 3 months til then. We're already planning our next Whole 30 without the junk around the house. (We live in a multigenerational house with friends & family because I can't say no to people needing a place to stay and we moved in to help take care of my aging father. We're moving away now. Rude of me, huh?)

I'm impressed you're doing this without nuts and Larabars. I live on nuts and allow myself a Larabar only when I'm on the go (I keep them in my car, not my house for that reason). I need more fruit in my diet so I'm not including that. :)

I'm impressed that you're doing this in a house with 8 people! That takes some serious willpower. It's wonderful that your husband on board. A support system is so helpful throughout this process.

Archived