Feel like I'm gaining and not losing weight

@Ellenelle,

thank you so much for the reply, i feel like i was about to have a bit of a crisis. I appreciate you taking the time to answer so thoughtfully and your response has offered me some comfort. 

i haven't been snacking or eating much nuts and when i do, its the one thing I measure carefully. No lara bars or dried fruit for me,

I guess i will just have to relax and enjoy the ride, I think I must also pay closer attention to the possibility of fodmaps. one other question, if you happen to know:

I have always been a big veggie eater, raw and cooked. All the listed foods to avoid for fodmaps are some of my favorite as well but I have never before noticed having a bad gastrointestinal reaction to them. My question is can the whole 30 dietary changes cause changes in the gut that bring on sensitivities to fodmaps, or does the entire process of healing the gut make one more susceptible to experiencing the negative effects of fodmaps?

Thank you again for the reply.

Cheers,

Atta

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Atta89 said:

Hi everyone, hopefully this feed is still alive. I came across this forum because I am struggling with some of the same things mentioned here. I am 12 days in and feeling heavier and more bloated than ever before  (jeans and dresses are not fitting). I've read through all the replies in attempt to trouble shoot my problem.

Side bar: I posted on another forum recently, I was concerned about my low mood, energy levels and bloating/feeling so large, I provided what I'd eaten every day up until that point (day 8) with rough estimations of portions. (I can really only guess how much mayo is two thumbs, i honestly dont know what a cup of veggies looks like, i try to fill half the plate and attempt to keep my protein to palms although on some meals it has been more than that) and a suggestion was to add more carbs, add more food. Without going into detail of my diet again here, I can say I have been 100% whole 30 compliant and am not eating very many fodmaps and when I do they are in small portions and not frequent. I have increased my some of my overall meal portions but the symptoms are still the same. I am only eyeballing my portions but am doing my best to follow the recommendations. How specific do i need to be about fat per meal? If for e.g, the cauliflower rice calls for ghee and coconut milk, and my chicken  requires coconut oil and my vinaigrette has oil and I put all these things together in one meal, how could I not be taking in more fat than I need? I am feeling at a loss, and really looking for some guidance.

I am FEELING better and have more energy but It is devastating to not fit into your clothes and to feel like you're bigger than when you began.

thanks in advance for the replies. 

Please don't cross post the same copy/paste post into multiple threads as per forum rules.  As you got an answer here, I've removed your duplicate post on the other thread.

On 3/14/2017 at 3:12 PM, jmcbn said:

Ok, so yes. FODMAPs would appear to be an issue, and unfortunately cutting down on them isn't going to be enough right now. If you want your gut to heal you'll have to cut them out, then try reintroducing them one at a time to see what & how much you can tolerate as tolerance levels vary from one person to the next.

Have you seen >this traffic light list of foods to avoid/moderate/eat<? It's much more helpful than the Whole30 low FODMAP shopping list, and may help you identify which group you tolerate less.

Many of the foods you're eating fall into a number of problematic groups - high FODMAPs, high sulphur & cruciferous veg - so I'd look specifically at excluding those if you're not willing to go low FODMAP - so cauliflower, cabbage, kale, broccoli, onions, sprouts for starters; but note that sweet potatoes, avocado & coconut milk can be very problematic too.

Let us know how you get on.... :)

Hi @jmcbn in reference to your above post, I've only recently experienced "bloating" while being on the Whole30 program. I used to cook with a lot of garlic and onions and don't really have a problem with bloating while eating those foods before Whole30. Should I be cutting them because I'm experiencing it now?

@Atta89

Re: 

"I have always been a big veggie eater, raw and cooked. All the listed foods to avoid for fodmaps are some of my favorite as well but I have never before noticed having a bad gastrointestinal reaction to them. My question is can the whole 30 dietary changes cause changes in the gut that bring on sensitivities to fodmaps, or does the entire process of healing the gut make one more susceptible to experiencing the negative effects of fodmaps?"

These are really interesting questions and I don't know the answers! The answer for me with the fodmaps was that I decided not to worry about them, for exactly the same reason as you describe. I like veggies, rarely if ever notice digestive issues from eating them, and some of the "worst" fodmaps were some of my favorites and helping me to staying compliant with Whole 30. So I obsessed for a day or two and then moved on and all has been well ever since.

In general our conversation has made me realize that one big thing I've learned after the first 30 days is that the program is both harder and easier than it seems. Hard because there is so much to watch out for mostly in terms of avoiding sugars, but easier because really the template is straightforward. In hindsight I realize that I was way farther down in the weeds for the first 30 days than I needed to be. At some point the template becomes a habit. 

Re sensitivities, I've noticed that my gut does seem to be very sensitive to gluten and especially gluten plus sugar now that I rarely eat it. That's kind of helpful to know when I'm making a decision about whether or not to eat a cookie or a cupcake. Do I want it badly enough to put up with the bit of GI discomfort that will follow?

Glad you're doing better. Please check in when you finish 30 days.

• 10 months later...

Darn! I don’t know if this thread is reassuring or stressful. Between my days 17-26 (on day 26 now) I feel the same! I just feel like I’ve been gaining weight. Energy not substantially changed, nor much of my life. But maybe that’ll change at the end. Interesting.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@MELeeDee -- this is very common!!  Honestly, more and more frequently I am hearing that many people need more than the 30 days to truly reset.  For my own personal journey, I didn't feel 'tiger blood' until after day 23 the very first time.  Additionally, if you are finding increased digestive distress/bloating that doesn't truly resolve by the end of your 30 days, you should consider looking into the option that something else may be going on in your digestive track.  As a side note: I would recommend a functional medicine/integrative medicine physician at that point as they can truly get to the root cause of what you may have going on and once treated you will be able to notice the real difference in your health!  Whole30 is an amazing tool, but if we have underlying conditions going on, we've got to take care of those, too!  

Hang in there!

My first round's tiger blood (which didn't resemble anything described in the testimonials, but I later figured out that's what it was) didn't happen until days 20 and 24... and I guarantee you it wouldn't have been until later if I hadn't started my monthly cycle on literally day 1, because my entire system was completely thrown off by the dietary changes and the hormonal stuff going on at the same time. Not sure if that's something that could be affecting you as well, but that monthly hormonal swing definitely does have to be considered in my own.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Great post here! I’m on Day 14 and had to read about this bloating issue. It has to be the FODMAP. Starting day 15 (yay me, July 4th), I will stick to the Safe FODMAP list. I have two weeks left in W30 and hope to see the boating go away.

Archived