New here

Keetha

I've heard about The Whole 30 and after listening to a podcast with Dallas and Melissa and came here to learn more. I've just begun reading the Forum this week - wow, what a lot of great information!

I'm thinking about jumping in and trying it next month. As an experiment, yesterday I ate like I was on the Whole 30.

I thought going without coffee creamer (although I've since searched the forums and have gotten a couple of great-sounding recipes for coconut milk creamer) would be the hardest part. It wasn't fun but I didn't anticipate how hungry I'd be! I felt like I ate all day long and still felt hungry.

Breakfast was a baked sweet potato with almond butter. Later I had cauliflower and onion sauteed in olive oil. For lunch, 4 ounces of grilled chicken with 1 cup of vegetable soup. (Although after I ate, I realized the soup had quinoa and white beans. So, not compliant.) Then I had an apple with almond butter. Roasted broccoli with 2 ounces of chicken. For dinner, hamburger steak with green beans.

Maybe I should have eaten a larger, more filling breakfast? I thought my kitchen and pantry were well stocked to do this but when I began reading labels, the turkey sausage had sugar in it, as did the bacon, as did...lots of things I thought about snacking on.

At lunch today, I'm going to the bookstore and get a copy of ISWF. I can tell just from yesterday that I need to be much better prepared come next Thursday!

Even though I didn't eat strictly on the plan at lunch, I have to say that last night and even this morning when I woke, I was happy and energetic: I withstood the temptation of a big selection dessert last night at dinner, mashed potatoes, roll, crackers, all day yesterday. It wasn't easy but it wasn't impossible and I DID it.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips I find here.

Keetha

Keetha, I'm sure once you've "It Starts with Food" things will be a lot more clear for you. That's really the best place to get all the "hows and whys" of the program. One of the "hows" is a guideline to have a portion of protein the size of your palm at every meal (and that includes breakfast!) You were hungry because your breakfast was too much starchy carb/not enough protein. You'll get the hang of it soon, though, I'm sure.

good luck!

Good for you!. I'd agree the best thing you can do is read the book. Also go to the section of the website entitled 'Our Book'. there's s load of free info sheets you can download which are really helpful.

Straight off, i'd say you didn't really have any protein for your breakfast, which will definitely leave you hungry later. The meal plan is protein 1-2 palm sized amounts, fat at least 1 thimbful and fill the plate with veggies but all that will become really clear when you read the book.

Yes, it's amazing the number of things i had to get rid of that I'd presumed would be OK but when I read the labels - sheesh what do they put in food nowadays :) I've found this forum really friendly and super helpful, so come in and join us - you won't regret it.

Welcome Keetha, You have come to the right place. And yes, you need to eat more protein. that and the fat is what will keep you full.

When you get the book, be sure to read all of it. I skipped over parts of it and later went back and read the parts I had not read. And it really told me why I should eat this way and why my old way of eating was so detrimental to my health. That way everything made much more sense.

When I first started on the Whole 30 I went through my cupboards and refrigerator and it is amazing all the stuff that was not compliant. fortunately I had a future grand daughter in law who was setting up house and needed everything. So I completely cleaned my house of everything that was non compliant. I knew if it was in the house I would probably find the rational to eat it. So out it went,. Everything.!!

The 30 days flew by so fast. In the process I learned to cook foods in such a way that they were appealing as well as on program. I also learned that I actually like to cook. I also feel so much better, am getting compliments and my energy and personality is so much more positive. Be sure to come back here and log in every day. You can tell us how you feel, what you are eating and get answers to any problem areas you may have. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and encouragment!

@Kirsteen, I'm glad you mentioned the PDFs to print out - as it turns out, my local bookstore didn't have ISWF in stock. They could get it, but it would be next week. I was about to order it online when I remembered my mother is out of town today and can pick up a copy for me. I will have it in my hot little hands by tomorrow!

I really like the idea of turning the calendar page next week and starting the Whole 30.

I'll be back often - to learn more and log my food.

Thanks again,

Keetha

However many eggs you can fit in your hand is a good protein amount for breakfast. Doesn't look like you had much fat with dinner, either. That'll leave you hungry AND in a fog. Maybe an avocado? Some macadamias?

It's a great program. We're on day 27 and don't feel deprived at all. We eat a ton of food during our meals and I only rarely feel the need to snack. The big meals are doing the trick - so I know we've switched to using fat for fuel (versus carbs). I feel great, sleep wonderfully, have tons of energy, and I've lowered my belt size by 2 holes (about 2" overall). :-) Good luck!

As others mentioned, there were some things missing from your diet than you can easily replace. But even if you do everything right, you still might feel a bit hungry/foggy/off as your body adjusts to the new way of eating. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel amazing for the first part of your Whole30!

I got my copy of ISWF over the weekend. I've gone through and marked pages, and now am working on a grocery list and meal planning for the week. I start the Whole30 on Thursday. Thanks for all the feedback!

Archived