Starting March 6

Triponme

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had leftover shepherd's pie for breakfast (weird, I know, but good!).  I plan to have the chicken hash for lunch, with avocado.  And the pork carnitas are slow cooking right now for dinner.  I'm going to have those with fried plantains. 

My first time dining out will be this weekend.  I'm a little nervous.  I looked at the menu and figured out what I'm going to have (2 fried eggs and roasted sweet potatoes, hold the gravy - yes, this is a gravy place) but hopefully I won't get pressured into drinking or eating the restaurant's specialty, biscuits.

I made a meatloaf last night and it was AWESOME. I found it here;

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-meatloaf/

I left out the hardboiled eggs because it wasn't really my style....I added a grated zucchini and carrot and made some homemade Whole30 BBQ sauce. Side of steamed broccoli and 1/2 a baked sweet potato. There was so much meatloaf left over so I put a couple slices in the freezer. Definitely will make again!

Leftover Mel Joulwan chili for lunch with a side of carrots and celery with Sunshine Sauce (that stuff is so good it's a wonder I haven't tried it in my coffee yet!). Steak is marinating for Steak Salad with Cilantro Lime Mayo for dinner - looking forward to that! 

Further proof that my tastebuds are waking from their sugar coma: when coconut water became a thing a few years ago, I tried it several times because I was sure that I just had to like it.  I didn't.  It was horrible and made me gag (like actually gag at a table outside a bistro where I first ordered it - not cool). It was on sale at the grocery store this week and, being a sucker for a bargain, I picked up two small cartons to give it another shot - HOLY DELICIOUS! It has this wonderful, tropical and ever-so-slightly sweet taste and it feels good in your mouth.  Really, I know it's just coconut water, but I enjoyed it so much! I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the discoveries I'm making...

I had an egg scramble with red peppers, onion, and spinach this morning.  Leftover pork carnitas with a delicious spicy salsa for lunch.  Chicken is in the crockpot for tonight...probably with some roasted asparagus.  I cooked asparagus for the first time (I never cooked before this) earlier in the week and overcooked it, so trying again!

@Rachie037 Please share your BBQ recipe!  I've missed that quite a bit.  I think I'm going to attempt honey mustard tonight (no honey of course).  I'm adding the meat loaf to my menu for next week!

@DaskiMom - I completely agree!  I had a banana this morning that tasted so good.  I'm still missing my old favorites...doughnuts...wine...tortilla chips...etc, but I'm hoping that a slow reintroduction will show me that they aren't as great as I thought!

@Sara13I got the recipe here: http://www.happywifestyle.com/blog/whole30-bbq-sauce

It is not a dipping sauce, I repeat, NOT a dipping sauce! haha. Its good on something that requires a bit of marinade/sauce but no way am I making some sweet potato fries to dip in that. I had a little incident with the chipotle, it came in a delicate plastic bag and it just tore open all over the place, so it turned out quite spicy. I added some nutmeg to have some sweet/warm flavor to it. 

That being said, I think I would like to try the Tessemae's BBQ sauce next time.

@Sara13 Update: I had the BBQ sauce for lunch and brought a jar of it to work as there are a couple of us doing the Whole30 and we like to try each other's stuff and exchange recipes. Everyone LOVED it. Even the none whole30 people. I think the nutmeg is a secret ingredient and letting it sit over night so the flavors blend well. Might just stick with this instead of buying the Tessemae's. 

Awesome! I'll have to try it! I made a honey mustard tonight that I'm pretty happy with. It went well with my roasted potato wedges. I had a crock pot malfunction today but luckily have enough quick meals on hand. 

Whole30 confession to this group - I go to bed earlier now to avoid stress eating. I've been going through a rough time personally, and it's nice having the success of this program as a positive. Plus - my new habit means I get 8 hours of sleep and actually woke up right before my alarm this morning! At least I'm recognizing the stress, so I'll take the NSV. 

10 hours ago, Rachie037 said:

@Sara13 Update: I had the BBQ sauce for lunch and brought a jar of it to work as there are a couple of us doing the Whole30 and we like to try each other's stuff and exchange recipes. Everyone LOVED it. Even the none whole30 people. I think the nutmeg is a secret ingredient and letting it sit over night so the flavors blend well. Might just stick with this instead of buying the Tessemae's. 

@Rachie037 Ok... I am sold!  I am gonna have to make this.  Thanks!

Ugh.  I woke up this morning with a huge pimple AND there are there are two types of doughnuts at work today.  One is my absolute favorite...from a little Amish store that people bring back after a rare trip to our northern office.  I'm hiding in my office eating my eggs and veggies.  Stay strong this Friday!

Hang in there @Sara13! You'll be glad you did. 

Another weekend is upon us! Yesterday was my son's 10th birthday, and he wanted to go to his favorite burger joint. So, I had a salad at home, then sat and watched everyone eat burgers and onion rings and shakes. Tomorrow is his party at the skating rink and I'm making a giant cake with fondant icing  tonight. Eating this way is incredibly isolating. And, in all honesty, I'm not feeling as great as I usually feel at this point so am starting to get a bit Debbie Downer. 

How's everyone else faring? 

@Sara13 - RESIST THE DOUGHNUTS! Like @frogtox said, you'll be glad you did. :)

Frog - I agree with you that the program is isolating at times.  I was at a baby shower last Saturday and felt like a total jerk not eating anything, but I knew nothing was compliant (even the salad was off limits - pre-dressed Caesar!). Thankfully that's the only realy event that falls during my main 30 days.

I feel like I've plateaued in a way.  Still feel good, but really not that drastically different than I did before I started.  Perhaps that's just magical thinking, but I don't know... I'm also starting to worry about "life after."  Obviously I want to make some lasting, healthful changes, but can I really never have a cupcake ever again?  And if I do, will that "ruin" me? Anyone who has done this before have any words of wisdom?

@Sara13 Resist the donuts!  They will hit you so hard after being on this program for almost 20 days.  @frogtox I'm going to make the artichoke hearts and chicken crock pot meal for dinner today.  Any particular brand of marinated artichoke hearts? All I could find is ones with canola oil or soybean and/or sunflower oil.  Couldn't they pick one or the other!?! I'm using artichoke hearts in water and throwing in some extra spices.  Hope it turns out ok!

@spunky1 I just use artichoke hearts from a can, packed in water and not marinated. 

@DaskiMomI think I've mentioned this is the fifth whole30 I've done. I always end up back to where I was, despite having a more keen understanding of food and the way it makes me feel. I finally purchased Food Freedom Forever and am going to try my best to follow it. It talks a lot about how to handle reintroductions. And, most importantly, it talks about living a life where you don't deprive yourself of the occasional cupcake, but you honestly reach a point where cupcakes aren't your go to food when you're stressed. I've done this to an extent with dairy. I know ice cream is going to make me feel lousy, but after a day at the beach sometimes ice cream just sounds good, and it's worth a bit of stomach distress later on. I'll be honest that I still grapple with falling into old habits... I'm just hoping that after this round it takes longer for me to do. :)

@frogtox No spices at all?!? Hmmm... I'm going to try this recipe except with the artichoke hearts packed in a can and maybe some extra spices for good measure.  Or pair with some pesto sauce?  http://whoneedsacape.com/2015/04/artichokelemonslowcookerchicken/

I'll let you know how it goes.  Good luck with the reintroduction.  I checked out Food Freedom Forever from the library.  I'm reading it in my spare time and I hope it helps with my reintroduction as well.  

I think my biggest fear about life after is that I still have sugar cravings (last night I would have sold one of my kids for a Cadbury Cream Egg) and I don't know how much strength I'll have to resist once sweets are no longer technically off-limits. Part of me hopes that I have such a violently negative reaction when I reintroduce sugar that the cons (feeling miserable) far outweigh the pros (deliciousness). Anything short of that and I fear it'll be a slippery slope right in to a pool of doughnuts and ice cream and I'll be right back where I started. @frogtox - thank you for your insight and honestly. Ordering Food Freedom Forever now...

Also - that chicken and artichokes meal is totally going into next week's menu. :) 

@spunky1 I just use salt and pepper. The lemon adds so much flavor, although I'm sure you can zhoosh it up a bit. 

@Daskimom She actually talks about cadbury creme eggs in the book Food Freedom Forever, lol.. it's my favorite too. :) (ETA have you noticed they've been making them smaller and smaller?! :angry::D)

@frogtox Thanks for the advice on reintroduction. I think that speaks volumes that you continue to return to do another round of Whole30 when you feel yourself slipping. I hope I am self-aware enough to do that at the end. I know its going to take me a long time to establish healthy habits to replace the lifetime of poor eating habits that I currently have. I bought the Food Freedom Forever book too and should probably start reading it as we are inching closer to the end. I can relate to the feelings of isolation and worried about what comes next. I've stuck with the program but I have been less enamored with it this past week. I think I'm getting bored with what I'm cooking again and need to add in some new recipes to get excited about it again. I really miss the ease of being able to go out to eat for social events. I think these last ten days are going to be rough! It doesn't help that I am close to graduation and trying to find a job, which is stressful and full of rejection. Instead of stress eating I have been stress buying makeup and skin care lol. 

Hahaha - I just booked a spray tan and a pedicure to reward myself for not eating a doughnut!

The sugar cravings definitely scare me.  The smell made my mouth water just walking into the kitchen.  I've been eating unsweetened applesauce with some cinnamon at some meals (not as dessert) and I worry I'll quickly replace that with ice cream after my meal when I can.  Even though I've been truly enjoying what I'm eating and I think it is more the habit then the craving most of the time.  Is it too early to start thinking about reintroduction?  I can't decide if I want to do the slow, only eat it if you really want it, or the structured, add food groups back in over 10 days.  @foxtrot - what have you done in your Whole 30 ventures previously?  Also - if you can make a cake while on Whole 30 and not eat it, you're my hero.  

I agree on the isolation - my friend in CO is doing this with me remotely, but everyone else doesn't get it.  I have been trying to alter my social habits - I met with a friend last night and her kids instead of at a bar for a glass of wine.  

Good luck to everyone this weekend!  I think my only challenges should be eating enough while refereeing and avoiding beer at a soccer game.  I'm going to the movies as well, but this will be my second time and I'll have my carrot sticks in my purse with a La Croix :)

7 hours ago, Sara13 said:

Hahaha - I just booked a spray tan and a pedicure to reward myself for not eating a doughnut!

The sugar cravings definitely scare me.  The smell made my mouth water just walking into the kitchen.  I've been eating unsweetened applesauce with some cinnamon at some meals (not as dessert) and I worry I'll quickly replace that with ice cream after my meal when I can.  Even though I've been truly enjoying what I'm eating and I think it is more the habit then the craving most of the time.  Is it too early to start thinking about reintroduction?  I can't decide if I want to do the slow, only eat it if you really want it, or the structured, add food groups back in over 10 days.  @foxtrot - what have you done in your Whole 30 ventures previously?  Also - if you can make a cake while on Whole 30 and not eat it, you're my hero.  

I agree on the isolation - my friend in CO is doing this with me remotely, but everyone else doesn't get it.  I have been trying to alter my social habits - I met with a friend last night and her kids instead of at a bar for a glass of wine.  

Good luck to everyone this weekend!  I think my only challenges should be eating enough while refereeing and avoiding beer at a soccer game.  I'm going to the movies as well, but this will be my second time and I'll have my carrot sticks in my purse with a La Croix :)

The sugar cravings scare me too!! And I can't tell you the last time I even bought ice cream - I am a lover of the salty snacks. But recently I can't stop thinking about chocolate chip cookies and I had a dream about pumpkin pie piled with whip cream!! 

Hang in there everyone. We can make it through the last 11 days. I started reading Food Freedom Forever at the end of my first Whole30, then got too busy to finish it. I'll go back to it again. For those of us who are reading it, how about sharing some of the things we read in it, and chat about it here? It might be inspiring to know that we are all contemplating how to make real life eating work after day 30. 

I am hoping to do a "slow roll" reintroduction this time. Last time I was in a hurry to add all of the foods back in, so I don't think I really took the time I needed to listen to my body and find out which foods were taking away from my feeling of tip-top health. I do know I'm feeling so much better now, so there must be something in there I need to adjust. 

I had a big day Thursday - an all-day off-site training for work where delicious foods were provided for breakfast, lunch and breaks. I packed my own (Whole30 chili, olives, raw vegetables) and heated it in the microwave at the training venue. Nobody pushed me to eat the pasta, quinoa, salad with feta, meat with unknown condiments, etc. After training all day, I went right back to my job at the rec centre, where our Iranian Seniors were celebrating Norooz. I knew that I could not go to the dinner and not eat, but I couldn't tell if any of the dishes had non-compliant ingredients. I got some help on the "Travel and Dining Out" forum, and prepared two Persian recipes - a main dish and a salad - which I brought to add to the banquet. That was a lot of work, and some anxiety about whether it would turn out well, and how my hosts would receive it (I did not want to insult them by saying I could not eat their food!) All turned out well. My hosts were impressed with my effort, and really too busy to check what I was choosing from the buffet. I was able to  enjoy the dishes I brought (they were yummy!) as well as plain fresh fruits and vegetables that were offered. The music, dancing, and poetry made the evening delicious in all ways.

When I got home, I was exhausted. I fell into bed almost immediately. I am accustomed to working long days, so I wonder if it was the emotional impact? Staying with the plan is emotionally challenging, as well as physically difficult. I slept for 8 1/2 hours and felt much better in the morning. I think Food Freedom Forever has help for dealing with the emotional/social aspects of changing lifestyle habits for better health. I am going to go looking.

Thanks for sticking with this long check in. I am admiring all of you, and I'm going to cook that chicken and artichoke dish Sunday for sure!

Archived