Starting March 6

Triponme

Happy Saturday, everyone! 

@mompoet I cannot imagine the emotional toll that Thursday took on you - no wonder you fell in to bed exhausted! But you did it - you planned ahead, made excellent choices, and could sleep soundly knowing that you made you and your health a priority in the face of countless temptations.  NSVs all over the place!!!

Did menu planning last night and shopped this morning. I do find the menu planning and list writing a bit grueling, but that's not new to the W30 - it's been one of my least favorite chores since forever. I've always liked to cook, though, so I know that in order to make more delicious food for us to enjoy, I have to figure out what I'm going to make and buy the ingredients.  

And speaking of delicious food... tonight I made Thai Steamed Mussels http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10640360498/thai-steamed-mussels and they were TDF. I know mussels aren't for everyone, but if you like them, MAKE THIS. I had forgotten how cheap mussels were - $5 for a 2 lb. bag, which was plenty for my husband and I. Threw some zuke noodles in the broth at the end and had steamed broc on the side.  Husband said it was like restaurant food!

Sunday dinner will be Lemon Artichoke Chicken with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans and I cannot wait to chow down on that business!  Also looking forward to the friendly Amazon truck delivering ISWF and FFF - lots of reading on tap for next week.  I love the idea of a forum book club of sorts, btw!

PS - @Sara13 - hope your day of refereeing went well!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Saturday!  Everything went well my first time eating out.  I did get questioned on why I was not ordering biscuits at a biscuit place but I explained and the lunch companion I told was proud of me for doing Whole30.  Didn't feel tempted to get anything else besides sweet potatoes and eggs.  I was a little paranoid about the social pressure.

I've got a trip planned for tomorrow and I don't plan to pack food (no kitchen).  Doesn't seem to hard to order out. Hopefully I am not fooling myself! 

Maybe tomorrow I can sit down and read Food Freedom and share some tidbits from there!

@spunky1 - if you know where you're going ahead of time, just google and do a map search of the area for restaurants! My husband has a 3 day conference in Washington, D.C. starting next Sunday. I've already searched the menus of the places within walking distance of the hotel and sent him an email with all of his compliant choices.  Since he's presenting on a few panels, he's worried about accidently ingesting something that will disagree with his system since he won't be able to hide in his room or the bathroom for hours at a time. I'll also be packing him a bag full of snacks and La Croix so he's never in a pinch...  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, mompoet said:

Is there a moderator out there who can suggest how (and where) to start a thread about working with Food Freedom Forever during our preparation and reintroduction (and beyond?)

For now, I think maybe put it in the Your Post Whole30 Log section: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/35-your-post-whole30-log/

Follow that link, click Start a new topic, and call it something like March 6 Food Freedom Forever so it'll be easy for the group to find. Then you can paste a link here too.

If you need some help with any of this, let me know.

Thanks for setting this up @mompoet. Reintroduction is always an issue for me. The thing that struck me about it in the FFF book was how long it is supposed to take. I think after 30 days you're so mentally wiped out that you can't wrap your mind another what is essentially another month of watching what you eat and, worse yet, logging your food and how you feel. Don't get me wrong, it's probably worth it, but it's a lot to take in. 

This weekend was hard for me foodwise. I spent four hours on Friday night making a giant snake cake for my son (at one point I unconsciously licked some frosting off my finger, only to rush over and spit it in the trash. :rolleyes: Saturday was the party so I was surrounded by pizza and cake. Sunday I ran 8 miles, went to two soccer games, went grocery shopping then to a friend's party for three hours (SO filled with yummy snacks and booze). So, even though I shopped I didn't cook so have no idea how I'm going to have time to make meals this week. 

I'm also dreaming constantly about eating non-compliant foods without thinking about it, only to realize what I'd done after the fact. Friday was nachos. Last night was biscuits. :lol:

@frogtox I did the same thing with Nutella on Saturday morning - realized I licked my finger and both kids and I panicked, then they cracked up when I ran to the sink and spit it out! But seriously, you were faced with cake, pizza, alcohol - that's my temptation trifecta! A+ to you for staying strong!!

Books came early Sunday morning and I've been so excited to read both that I've been bouncing back and forth between both and not making any actual progress. Going to read ISWF first and then FFF; hopefully I'll have them both finished by the end of next weekend.  How are the other readers faring?

Tonight for dinner I made Moroccan Salmon https://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/06/moroccan-grilled-salmon/ and the two sides she suggests and it was amazing.  I know, I say that about everything (because I LOVE FOOD), but this was really, really so flavorful and delicious and unusual!  I'm actually doing to make the whole meal again for my sister's birthday dinner in two weeks... 

Whoah! @frogtox you prevailed over some big challenges this weekend. Congratulations! I know what you mean about the exhausted feeling towards the end, and the mental challenge of reintroduction. Let's hope that the practical tips in the book (and encouragement from one another) will help us succeed. I am feeling a lot better than I was 23 days ago, and I want to continue to feel better, so I'm going to try a slow roll reintroduction. I laughed when I read about your forbidden food dreams. My last Whole30 I dreamed repeatedly about guzzling glass after glass of skim milk! This time I have dreamed just once - of drinking Fresca! Some exciting food dreams huh - skim milk and diet soda!

@DaskiMom I think our kids must think we are crazy sometimes. Get that Nutella out of my mouth! Please let me know if you think I should get It Starts with Food. I'm starting again reading Food Freedom Forever. I got partway through last time then got distracted. I do have post-it-notes sticking to pages through the first half of the book, so I'll be able to find the parts I need to refer to as I start out on "real life" after Whole30 this time. Thanks for the recipe recommendation. I will try it soon!

On March 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM, frogtox said:

This is my favorite Whole30 recipe ever. http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ My family, who don't generally like fish, love these.  My recommendation= make a double batch, and use less salt. 

Another easy crock pot meal: layer boneless chicken thighs, lemon slices and artichoke hearts in a crockpot and cook on low all day. Delicious and almost too easy.

@frogtox I just tried the lemon artichoke chicken. I can't believe how easy it was and how delicious! I made some ordinary mashed potatoes for my husband and son (with butter and sour cream), and I ate mine with a couple of little new yukon gold potatoes, a boiled beet, and fresh asparagus. It was lovely. AND there's enough left over for a couple of lunches. This recipe is a keeper!

@mompoet Right?? Glad you loved it! Keep how easy it is a secret, and impress everyone. :) IMO It Starts With Food is all the science that goes into the Whole30, and why you're avoiding the foods you are, and what they do to contribute to x,y,z (bloating, inflammation, digestive distress etc). If you're into that (I'm a scientist, so totally my cup of tea) then it's a great read. Otherwise, at this point in the game you may not get a great benefit from it. So, good but not essential to read. 

I'm really wanting to do a proper reintroduction, but spring break is next week and we're leaving for a four-day vacation to Toronto the morning of day 31. I'm going to work hard to pack a lot of my own food and try to remain as compliant as possible but it's going to be a bigger struggle because I'm not in my own kitchen. There is a giant market there I want to go to, and bet they have a lot of interesting compliant choices. But... honestly I'm worried about ordering something that has four different things in it I haven't eaten in a long time, feeling like garbage and not knowing exactly why. I'm probably overworrying, but I tend to do that. :)

How's everyone else doing? Anyone feeling the Tiger Blood yet?? 

I'm not sure this was the best Whole30 for me to evaluate its benefits as I've been sick for half of it. My kid picked up something at school and it was all over. I have stuck to the program to date and I feel better. But Tiger Blood? Not quite. I found my first experiences eating out this past weekend were a struggle. I found stuff to eat, but I longed for my at home food. I did enjoy a vegetable salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar my husband got for me from a salad bar. But the steak I ordered later in the evening was so salty!

I'm reading through FFF and I'll post on the other thread once I've digested the book and made a plan. But like @frogtox I will be going on vacation on the end of this. And the reintroduction process looks more complicated than Whole30! I'll give it a try, but probably switch up the order. I'm not really enthralled about reintroducing legumes as the first thing. Maybe dairy - or wine. :)

I need to order FFF - I almost wish I had ordered that and the Whole 30 book instead of ISWF (not a scientist, I skipped the parts that it told me I was allowed to skip).  Right now I don't really miss what I thought I would, so I think I'll just do a slow reintroduction and see what I really want.  I have found that most days I just want the food that I've prepped, and find it satisfying.  I primarily did my Whole 30 to force myself to start eating healthier, so that's my main goal at the end.  I'm still counting down though...anyone have a first meal planned out already?

@frogtox @spunky1 Yikes - I'm going on vacation too, but not until one week after day 30. I'll travel to New York with my son, to visit my daughter over Easter. I have booked an AirBnB (whole apartment) with kitchen, and my daughter has done 2 Whole30s, so I think I'll be able to stick to my plan for a slow roll reintroduction. I visit New York a couple of times each year, so I don't feel like I have to eat all of the foods! We'll have Easter supper with my cousin and her family in NJ, but I always help cook when I go to their place, so we should be okay. I am not going to start with legumes (although I do love hummus!) I am going to start with wine. That will mean I can have a treat while I am away, but still eat mostly W30 compliant foods and roll slowwwwly. If something absolutely un-refusable comes along, I will eat it and find out what happens. I am going to postpone wheat and dairy for as long as I can as I suspect they may be causing me to feel not as good as I do now (At least that's the plan.) I would love to keep this thread going through our reintroduction. Let's be kind to ourselves and encourage one another. We are all works in progress, beautiful, wonderful, strong and resilient. 

So I have to say - I thought the Tiger Blood thing was a bit hokey...but I'm definitely starting to feel so much better.  I worked out last week and this week.  Went to hot yoga last night and didn't die.  I'm waking up before my alarm every morning and getting out of bed with energy.  I'm feeling these NSVs today - hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

@Sara13 I thought the same thing! So awesome that you're feeling and enjoying it!! I'm not 100% Tiger Blood-fueled yet, but after last night, I see that it's possible.  I had managed to get my daytime sleepiness resolved by incorporating more fats I was still struggling with sluggishness/sleepiness in the morning and dreading my workouts.  Last night I got 9 hours of sleep (minus the two times I had to retuck my 11-year-old!!!) and could actually keep my eyes open when my alarm went off.  My routine is to read my Whole 30 Daily email while still in bed, then get up and get dressed.  Today was the first morning I was able to read the whole thing without nodding off or feeling like there was sand in my eyes.  I still didn't jump for joy at the thought of my workout, but I think that if I shift my bedtime so that I'm getting a full 9 hours every night, I'll begin to see a difference there as well.  It's worth a shot!

Started ISWF yesterday b/c I'm weird about doing things in order, and man, do I wish I had read it before I started! I can see myself and my relationship with food in nearly everything they write!  Very enlightening and giving me more resolve and determination to stick this out for more than the 30 days to ensure that I really do squash all of those cravings/triggers.   

So jealous of all you ladies traveling in the coming weeks!! Please share so I can live vicariously through you all!!!! :) 

@mompoet I'm signed up to run a half marathon at the end of May. This weekend I have an 8 mile run and on runs that long I usually take a gel or some other type of nutrition. I'm wondering what I should take with me since I'm off sugar. I've tried raisins and dried cherries and was met with fairly significant digestive distress I won't elaborate on. Maybe a banana or some dried apricots (and stay near to a bathroom).

Day 25. This is when I really start to get burned out. I am sick of cooking and am struggling to find lunches. I nearly lost it on my husband this morning when I learned he threw last night's leftovers away.  He said "you said it was gross".. which it was... but eating it would've been preferable to trying to think up something new. Chicken salad on celery is what I landed on. 

I want Doritos. 

@mompoet - no training for me until the summer; husband runs a half in the spring and I run mine in the fall. Since I work in a school, it's easier for me to train in the summer. Right now I just do Beachbody workouts in the mornings.  That's where I'm getting burned out - I love Shaun T., but I think we might need to take a break.  Might have to cheat on him with Tony for a bit...

@frogtox - I can't remember (if you ever said) what your feelings are on Larabars? I know they're basically all-natural date sugar bombs, but if it's something your belly can handle while exercising, it might be worth it? Or, what about a mashed sweet potato/applesauce pouch? Like either the baby/toddler food kind or something homemade? I make homemade gatorade when I start my long runs and I think it's fantastic, but it has honey in it... I don't know if it would have the same effect without that ingredient? It's the second recipe here:

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/better-than-gatorade-diy-healthy-sports-drink-recipes/slide/2/ 

Possible TMI side note - a very wise, experienced runner once told me (while I was buying new running shoes), that if you haven't pooped in the woods during a run, then you're not yet a true runner. :)

I kind of can't believe that we've been at this for 25 days already... I feel like I still have so far to go in terms of my relationship with food and cravings, and with structuring my meals so that they carry me from one to the next (Meals 1 and 2 are the problem here - dinner isn't a problem).  Talked with my husband last night and he agreed - other than the occasional glass of wine and real coffee creamer, he's not in a rush to get back to anything, so I think we'll be doing a very slow reintro...

Glad you didn't throttle your husband over the tossed leftovers, @frogtox. I've been so reluctant to throw anything away because of the cost and effort in producing all of it, so I feel you! Thankfully I've only had to toss a few things that got lost in the back of the fridge and were rediscovered past their prime. 

Question for the group - what do you eat for lunch? I tend to get sleepy if I eat too much in the middle of the day (like a container of heated-up leftovers from the night before), but what I packed this week just wasn't quite enough to get me to dinner. I packed a few cukes, pepper slices, olives, cherry tomatoes, 5 cooked shrimp, homemade herb mayo and about 1/3 cup of blueberries. It was tasty and I was comfortably full when I finished, but by 3, I was hungry again so I had a few nuts with my tea to hold me until dinner. Not enough fat at lunch, maybe?  Would love some input and ideas!

@DaskiMom I'm a big salad eater. I like the different textures I can get. I add whatever meat I have on hand, or boiled eggs, olives, cashews or whatever is on hand. I either make my own dressing or have Tessamaes. It's not too heavy, but it fills me up. 

I thought about Larabars right after I posted, and I think I will try those. The blueberry ones are my favorite. And, I can say that I'm a true runner, per your definition. My issues isn't going in the woods as much as it's going in my pants, lol 

It's funny - I used to pack a salad every day, but since W30, I've been so focused on having all of the right components that I strayed away from them.  Back to salads next week.

If you can find them (they're on Amazon if you can't find them locally), I recommend the Larabar minis.  The full-sized bars are a bit much for me, but the baby ones are just right - and they'll fit nicely in your running pouch.  I know there's a Cherry Pie/Apple Pie/Cashew Cookie minis variety pack on Amazon for about $8...

I've been doing a mix of leftovers for lunch and something I make to specifically bring.  I did salads a lot at the beginning of W30 but found that I would be hungry during the day.  One of my favorites it to make chili on Sunday and then I have three/four lunches for the week.  I'll bring some carrots or an apple or something to eat with it as well.  Sometimes lunch is whatever I can throw together as well...I wasn't as good with meal prep this week so I'm out of food. Today I have some compliant hot dogs (no cooked meat I could bring) and a ton of random veggies.  

I've really ramped up my work outs and feel like sometimes I'm struggling to stay well-fed.  I read a good thread about how you shouldn't be scared of fruit, especially when you're in training.  I'll be honest, I hate hard boiled eggs.  I struggle with the mini-meals or pre work out meals.  So this morning I made a quick smoothie (just 10 oz) with a few frozen pineapples and a banana.  I know smoothies aren't recommended.  But thinking of making it when I got home after hot barre (crazy work-out if you haven't tried it) is the only thing that stopped me from getting a doughnut.  I still made a veggie filled omelette with some sweet potatoes for breakfast with it, so no sugar crash. 

I'm still amazed at how much of a difference eating better food has made in my life.  I will probably have a doughnut on Day 31.  I'm hoping it makes me feel awful, doesn't taste as good as I think it will, and I'll crush that craving once and for all.  Other than that, I'll keep meal prepping and slowly add things back in as I want to.  It will be nice to feel like I can participate in social situations again.  It gets old defending, deflecting, explaining, etc.  I'll still make good choices, but it will be nice to have a few more options.

@Sara13 I hear you about trying to gag down a boiled egg before a workout. I usually have a bit of cashew butter on a banana, if anything at all. It's the one thing I'm actually pretty bad at.. eating prior to running.  I'm so used to running on an empty stomach, because I otherwise get nauseous or heartburn. And, I have done barre classes but would rather poke an eye out to do a class in a room that's intentionally hot... I get overheated and would die! lol 

@DaskiMom I have found the mini lara bars and agree they're a good size. I have to be careful with some of them because I'm allergic to some types of fruits that aren't processed (apples, cherries, etc) and I've had a few where my mouth has itched pretty badly afterwards. Guess it means they're pretty fresh, but I have to avoid them. :)

Archived