Starting March 6

Triponme

@frogtox That's awesome - a half-marathon! I top out at 10k runs, so nutrition during the race isn't an issue for me. I did a 10k during my first Whole30 last October. I packed my own finish line nutrition - a small cooked yam, some walnut pieces and some chicken breast cubes! A new use for gear-check, I think! I hope @DaskiMom 's recipes are helpful for you!

Hang in there, we are almost at the finish line of this Whole30. Have fun on your 8 mile run this weekend. I hope you are smiling all the way!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be Friday, we are all talking about food! :)

@DaskiMom Cool about alternating half-marathon training with your husband. That's a great thing to look forward to and prepare for during your summer break. As for lunches, I often put a couple of handfuls of baby spinach into the bottom of a microwavable container, top with leftover protein from supper, then reheat it all at lunchtime. Without a carb-heavy veg component, it is not nap-inducing! The spinach wilts beautifully in the time it takes to heat the protein.

@Sara13 When I'm not on Whole 30 my pre-workout mini-meal is Mary's Organic Crackers and hummus. My Whole 30 variation is 1/4 cup of cubed cooked chicken breast, and less than that of olives or nuts. Sometimes I throw in a few snap pea pods for freshness and crunch. Before Whole30 I never would have considered this as something I would eat before exercising, but now I think it's delicious. I coach at a 10k Learn to Run clinic. Last night I had this mini meal at about 5pm before leaving work. I ran with my group (about 8k - so not an intense or long workout) at 6:45, then we all hit the hot tub at the rec centre for a treat after the run. I got home about 9pm, and I wasn't terribly hungry for my real supper. Occasionally I pack a smoothie for a quick breakfast after my early morning hot yoga class. I use the Classic Green Monster Smoothie from the first Oh She Glows Cookbook: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/13/classic-green-monster/  I think it's about as far from a sugar bomb as you can get. I still try to avoid smoothies, but I think this is a good one, when it's the only thing that will work for my schedule.

So glad that smoothies are coming up in the discussions today... We start state testing next week and I'll need to be at work 30 minutes earlier than usual.  My wake up and workout times are pretty non-negotiable as is the amount of time it takes to get me and the kids ready... so I've been wondering how I can still have a good post-wo/breakfast and still be on time.  I was considering smoothes but knew they weren't a preferred source of sustenance on the program... I'll do a little recipe research this weekend to see what I can find.  The trick will be finding a combination that won't fill me up to barfing when I drink it, but will keep me satisfied until lunchtime.  @mompoet I'll definitely check out the Green Monster!  Any other suggestions are welcome!

Hard boiled eggs on their own are totally gag-inducing for me, too - on a salad is the only way I can deal with those so they are definitely out as a pre-wo snack.  Before W30 I was an "exercise after a cup of creamer-laden coffee" kind of gal, but since that wasn't an option anymore, I tried to workout on an empty stomach.  I quickly found that I didn't have enough gas in the tank to do the workouts like I wanted. After some experimentation I found that a tablespoon of almond butter (enjoyed while I'm making my kids' breakfast) is a good compromise in terms of what my stomach can handle at 6am and what my body needs to hang with Shaun T.

One other thing - if you haven't discovered purple sweet potatoes, please seek them out! I pre-bake a few on Sunday for my post-wo snacks during the week and with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a few shreds of chicken breast, it is SO GOOD! These are what I buy: http://www.friedas.com/stokes-purple-sweet-potato/  

On 3/30/2017 at 0:39 PM, DaskiMom said:

@mompoet
@frogtox

@frogtox

Question for the group - what do you eat for lunch? I tend to get sleepy if I eat too much in the middle of the day (like a container of heated-up leftovers from the night before), but what I packed this week just wasn't quite enough to get me to dinner. I packed a few cukes, pepper slices, olives, cherry tomatoes, 5 cooked shrimp, homemade herb mayo and about 1/3 cup of blueberries. It was tasty and I was comfortably full when I finished, but by 3, I was hungry again so I had a few nuts with my tea to hold me until dinner. Not enough fat at lunch, maybe?  Would love some input and ideas!

I was having that same conversation today with someone else - we've found that the Wholly Guacamole mini packs you can get at Costco are pretty good with veggies or meat for some extra 'umph' in your meal. Sweet potatoes either baked or mashed are always pretty good. I've found (as someone who does a a.m. workout) I need some meat at lunch either a turkey burger patty, some simple turkey deli slices or chicken.

Other lunch ideas for us include guacamole with canned tuna or salmon with either cucumbers or bell peppers - that I hollow out to hold the goods.

Day 26 you guys! I sat down this morning with Food Freedom Forever. If you have it, and you haven't started reading, please don't wait until Day 31. It's tremendously encouraging about life after Whole30. Just a reminder that I started a thread here, for post Whole30 and reading the book. I'll see you all here or there. Happy April 1st. Watch out for Brussells sprouts wrapped up and packaged like Ferrero Roche chocolates today.

Here's the April Fool:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3372094/Jokers-dip-Brussels-sprouts-chocolate-Ferrero-Rocher-wrappers.html

Here's the Post Whole30 Discussion Thread:

I need to try the mini guacamole packs. I have it in my head that I don't like guacamole but my taste buds have changed so much during this! I find myself liking things I didn't like before. 

So I listened to some sound advice from you guys and did some grilled chicken and almonds before refereeing today. Unfortunately it was at noon..so I ate some more chicken, carrots, and an apple when I was done. It was pretty satisfying! I'm definitely hungry for dinner but I think that is because of the time of the game. Tomorrow I referee at 1 and 3, so I'll take some grilled chicken (made a bunch of coconut flakes crusted this morning!) and almonds to eat after game 1. I'll still take a banana too if I need it. Hopefully a good breakfast and lunch with this added mini meal will help me start to figure out energy levels while working out! 

I am making my grocery list for next week tonight and keeping things relatively the same. I am going to try making the salmon cakes everyone has raved about tomorrow! I did sign up for a free membership at thrive (first 30 days are free, set a calendar reminder to cancel) and ordered a few post W30 items like organic BBQ sauce and the Tessamaeas honey mustard. I've missed those and figure I'll choose the healthiest option and see how my body reacts. I'm excited to keep eating healthy. I like that I'm one of those people who goes to the farmers market and has a ton of fresh food in their basket at the grocery!

i haven't had a chance to pick up FFF - need to do that next week!

@Sara13 Make sure you're eating enough fat with your meals... it's what gets you from one meal to the next without getting too hungry.

Funny about the guacamole packs.  They were having a BOGO at my supermarket and I discovered the ingredients are compliant so bought a big thing of the spicy guac and little mini packs. I am not a fan of avocado, and can tolerate guacamole (it's the greasy slimy texture, I think), but saw they had a spicy variety. My 10 year old loves making hamburgers, so rather than having ketchup, which is my usual go to, I put some of the spicy guac and some of my canned tomatillo salsa on top. I was so happy!  This time around I've really been focusing on how easy it is to make compliant meals while my family doesn't. Like last night I chopped up three little zucchini and put meat sauce on it, then had a side salad. The family had ravioli, French bread and butter. Although the bread and butter made me a little weak (it was like they were spreading the butter on in slow motion, lol) I think I could say no, even if I didn't have to.

Also funny... I thought Wednesday was our day 30, and I started thinking it's tomorrow, Tuesday (right?). So, I have a day between day 30 and my vacation, which is good. I've decided to take a blank journal and log the food I eat. I think it will help to keep me on track, at least while traveling.

So, are y'all weighing in at the end of this. I can't decide whether to do so on day 30 or the morning after.  

I LOVE guac on my turkey burgers! Actually, a really good (lazy) way to make turkey burgers is to just mix a pack of spicy in to a pound of ground turkey and throw those babies on the Griddler!

Tomorrow is our day 30 and - I can't believe I'm saying this - I'm kind of sad.  I don't feel like I'm ready to be finished yet.  If you had asked me on Day 1 what I'd be most looking forward to on Day 30, I'd have said that my first order of business would be to swan dive in to a vat of Nature's Bliss Sweet Cream coffee creamer.  And I do miss my sweet, creamy coffee... but also kind of not... life's actually completely perfectly good without having it every morning.  I think now what I'm most looking forward to sticking with the program until I'm confident that I've slayed the Sugar Dragon and I'm just not there yet.  A craving is still a craving even if you don't give in to it, right? 

Weighing in on the morning of Day 31, though, because I'm DYING to know.  Also going to take "after" shots to compare to the horribly embarrasing "before" shots I made husband and I take of each other. Not sure if I've lost many pounds, if any, but definitely feeling leaner and less puffy. 

ps - I hope this isn't inappropriate, but @frogtox I LOVE your new profile picture - you're LOVELY! 

Don't be sad @DaskiMom!  Unless you aren't doing the reintro proticol whole30 doesn't end with day 30.  I have several health problems, including autoimmune disorders.  So I will be doing the reintro, slowly adding one of the rule breakers about every 4 days (while keeping the rest of my diet w30 compliant).  Reintro is pretty much the same as w30, but just adding like a serving of rice, or whatever you are reintroducing.  I know a lot of people don't go through reintro, but if I don't the w30 will have been a waste for me.

We (almost) did it! Day 30 will be sweet! I'm going to do reintro slowly, like you @Eye of the Tiger. I followed the protocol in the book last time, and didn't find anything obviously troublesome. I'm feeling so much better now, I want to keep that feeling. I hope by going more slowly I might notice something I didn't notice last time. 

I'll do a drum roll for all of you on your weigh-ins - whether they are on day 30 or day 31. Please let us know how they turn out! Like you, @DaskiMom, I'm not really dying to eat anything that I've taken out. 

@frogtox - I love your photo too!

Have a triumphant day tomorrow, everyone!

Happy Day 30 everyone! I tried a delicious new breakfast this morning...a sweet potato, apple, coconut milk, and egg bake that I whipped up last night so I could go to hot yoga this morning.  I never would have said all of those things before Whole 30!  I'm doing a slow intro as well...I'm a little afraid of diving right back into my old lifestyle so I think that continuing to eat as close to Whole 30 as possible will be good for me.  I'm looking forward to adding some whole grains back in though.  

I'm waiting to weight in tomorrow so I can say I was good all 30 days!  My goal definitely wasn't weight loss but I'm curious to see what is on the scale! NSV - I went shopping this weekend and got some clothes a size down!

Great job everyone - and thanks for the awesome support on this forum.  I was doing this solo and it was so much help!

Day 30! Yay for us! I did manage to follow every rule (except the chips.. I had compliant ingredient chips a few times with a meal but it was prior to the no chips rule officially coming out so technically I'm ok).  More than 100 eggs and probably 30# of chicken- so I feel I'm going to start clucking soon, lol.

@Sara13 that sounds really delicious. Did you use a recipe?

So I will weigh myself tomorrow (I hope everyone does and reports back here with weight and other NSVs), and have some steel cut oats with coconut milk and strawberries. The rest of the day I think I'm going to stay compliant. The following day starts our vacation and I got a pretty little blank book to write down my food choices and stickers to make it fun (whatever it takes, right?).  

Contrary to @DaskiMom I'm never sad as much as I'm a bit frightened.  There are two types of people... moderators and abstainers. Moderators can have unhealthy choices around and pick and choose when to eat them. Abstainers have to tell themselves they're off limits in order to avoid them. I'm an abstainer. I love the Whole30 because it tells me what's off limits and I can manage it. I've powered through getting a PhD, running marathons and childbirth but I can't say no to a bag of cheese popcorn unless something outside myself is telling me no. So, I need to navigate this somehow, which is where the FFF book is helping. It helps define boundaries beginning at day 31 and writing them out and logging choices helps. I'm fully expecting the wheels to come off at some point, because I know me, but I'm hoping it lasts significantly longer this time. Having the group Sara set up will help. 

Thanks for the comments on my picture... I thought the grumpy frog cartoon may be bad mojo or something, haha. 

Can't wait to hear how it went for everyone! 

Today is day 1 of intro for me since I started March 5th.  I decided to start with legumes.  Not much change in my diet.  Still w30 compliant except for adding a serving of legumes with each meal today, and then back to w30 for the next 3 days.  Then I will reintro corn on Sat.  I'm down 7 lbs, from 118 to 111.  I've not counted calories, weighed.... Just ate until I was satisfied.  I'm 5'2, and I think my goal weight is around 105-110.  I am doing w30 for health reasons though (autoimmune disorders wreaking havoc on my body).  The weightloss is just a bonus.

Happy day 30 to everyone!

Happy Day 30! I believe I was compliant the whole time, which is surprising. The only thing is restaurants. I confirmed there was no sugar in my food with the server but you never know what they put sugar in these days. And I doubt the servers really know. I'm not one to send them off to kitchen to check. I didn't eat in restaurants too often and not until Day 25 so I'm not too concerned. 

I'm not too gung ho about reintroduction. I'm not craving anything! I like my coffee black now. I don't really want desserts. Certainly nothing that is all sugar and no gluten. I did get invited to a party on Friday so I think I'll introduce something that day. Maybe dairy. And then my husband wants to go to a speakeasy for his birthday so I'll save gluten free, sugar free alcoholic drinks for then. But until then, I'm going to continue with whole30 I think. It's really worked for me. I'm pleasantly surprised. 

I didn't weigh myself because the book said not to! So no weigh in for me. Some of my NSVs are gross so I won't share. But definitely a better mood and less (no?) cravings. And my pants feel better. I'm looking forward to working out more. That should help with fitness, energy etc. 

@spunky1 you can weigh tomorrow if you want to.  My day 30 was yesterday.  I followed all the rules.  It's just a suggestion, but reintro is really encouraged so that you find out how each of those food groups makes you feel.  And according to the book, you eat the same reintro food group for 3 meals in a day (unless you find out in the first or second meal you have a bad reaction to it).  Then for the next 2-3 days you eat w30 compliant to reset your body for the next food that you reintro.  Of course it's all a very personal decision.  I just want to know exactly what has a negative impact on my health before I go on vacation April 27th.  I won't be reintro-ing dairy or gluten for a couple of months though, if ever.  I've been gluten and dairy free for a while, before w30.

I can't wait to see everyone's findings / results!

2 hours ago, frogtox said:

Contrary to @DaskiMom I'm never sad as much as I'm a bit frightened.  There are two types of people... moderators and abstainers. Moderators can have unhealthy choices around and pick and choose when to eat them. Abstainers have to tell themselves they're off limits in order to avoid them. I'm an abstainer. I love the Whole30 because it tells me what's off limits and I can manage it. I've powered through getting a PhD, running marathons and childbirth but I can't say no to a bag of cheese popcorn unless something outside myself is telling me no. So, I need to navigate this somehow, which is where the FFF book is helping. It helps define boundaries beginning at day 31 and writing them out and logging choices helps. I'm fully expecting the wheels to come off at some point, because I know me, but I'm hoping it lasts significantly longer this time. Having the group Sara set up will help. 

@frogtox - I swear, you know me better than I know myself! Frightened is definitely a more accurate way to describe how I'm feeling about "life after" and for the same reason as you - I'm an abstainer and "life after" means living as a moderator. I seem to have been born without the willpower gene, but being a first-born daughter and having gone to 13 years of Catholic school means I'm a devout rule-follower. If something is "forbidden", I don't partake. But if it's up to me to ignore the Halo Top in the freezer or the Oreos in the cupboard, forget about it - I can hear those babies calling me!  For that reason, I'm going to institute a personal goal for the next 30 days - no snacks after dinner. The hours from 7pm-10pm are my weakest time of the day. I'm never hungry, but I often seek out a "treat" - a few cashews, dried mango or fruit...  Granted, my W30 treats are better choices than a row of Oreos, but the fact that the habit still exists means it's something that needs my direct attention.  So as I work through reintroduction, that will be my focus. 

I think the "sad" part comes from the prospect of no longer having "Frogtox and the Girls" (as my family calls you all) to lean on for support.  I have never, ever been a "chat with strangers on the internet" kind of gal, but finding you all has been such a gift! I look forward to staying connected and continuing to support each other over on the FFF page as we all try to keep the wheels on for as long as possible!

Since my husband is away for a few days, we're holding of until Friday evening to start reintro with a reasonably-sized glass of red wine.  After that will be gluten, then legumes, then dairy, then sugar.  Going to stretch it out for as long as possible, and will be keeping a journal to track symptoms and food choices.

@frogtox I did!  http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sweet-potato-apple-breakfast-bake-paleo-whole30/

I used a can of coconut milk because it always confuses me to split the solid from the liquid - I'll just use the solid next time as it didn't set up as well as I wanted.  I also skipped the raisins because I love raisins on their own but hate them in food!  I think I might add some crispy bacon to it next time (when I'm not in W30, because compliant bacon is nearly impossible).

14 hours ago, frogtox said:

So I will weigh myself tomorrow (I hope everyone does and reports back here with weight and other NSVs), and have some steel cut oats with coconut milk and strawberries. The rest of the day I think I'm going to stay compliant. 

@foxtrot steel cut oats is what I plan to have too! I've already got them soaking, and will have them with dates, almond milk and chia, almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, flaxseed and strawberries.  Will probably have rice with our thai takeout tomorrow night (I'm ignoring the little bit of sugar that will be in the laab ped) to follow the 'eat the food every meal' suggestion.

I'm planning on weighing myself tomorrow morning - will post results here!!  

A sign this program has worked for me?  I completely forgot to weigh myself this morning.  I got up, made some veggies to take for lunch, scrambled two eggs with some more veggies, and then went and ate a doughnut.  I'm not going to lie.  It was wonderful.  However, I consider it a treat now instead of a normal breakfast.  I know I'll be hungry in an hour or two, so I'll eat my eggs and continue to follow W30 the rest of today.  And then maybe remember to weigh myself tomorrow!

Congrats everyone on making it 30 days! I DID weigh myself this morning. I started this journey to help jump start my weight loss. Thankfully, I don't have any autoimmune issues or anything gut related that I've been dealing with. I just wanted more energy and lose weight. This has really opened my eyes to how much sugar is in virtually everything we eat. While I don't plan on giving up cheese, I can eat it in moderation. I'm really going to try and follow the Whole30 plan but I will still enjoy going out to lunch/dinner every once in a while. I just need to be more mindful of my choices. I won't lie either. I'm eating Mexican for lunch today and I'm really excited. LOL! Although I'll take it easy and not get my favorite, which is a fried steak chimichanga. I probably won't even eat half of whatever I buy. My portion sizes have been smaller and I've been quite satisfied. Plus working out has been incredible and I feel fantastic! We are heading to Yellowstone on Saturday for the week and I'm really looking forward to making smarter food choices while on vacation. It's been helpful to me to keep a food diary. I have a fitbit so I've been storing everything there. It really makes me think about what I'm putting in my mouth. I think to myself, "Do I REALLY want to put that in my food diary?" Then I put the food down! Total weight loss? 17 pounds! For whatever reason that you may have started this journey, I hope you've seen fantastic results, even if you're not looking at weight loss like myself. Hopefully you've figured out what may have been triggering any issues that you may have had. I hope we can come back and keep this March 6th thread going. I've enjoyed reading the stories, even if I haven't posted much on here. :D     

21 hours ago, DaskiMom said:

I think the "sad" part comes from the prospect of no longer having "Frogtox and the Girls" (as my family calls you all) to lean on for support.  I have never, ever been a "chat with strangers on the internet" kind of gal, but finding you all has been such a gift! I look forward to staying connected and continuing to support each other over on the FFF page as we all try to keep the wheels on for as long as possible!

Aw, this made me smile. I value all the support I got here so much, and am grateful you were there to take this journey with me. 

@CurleyGirl Great job on the weight loss! 

Good luck, everyone, on continuing on with a slow re-introduction and successfully maintaining healthy eating habits. 

I went to weigh myself this morning and my scale wouldn't work. I took out the batteries, one of which had corroded, and was able to only find three fresh ones of the four I needed. I was tempted to scavenge one temporarily from the TV remote then realized that was a tiny bit crazy pants, and that the world wouldn't end if I didn't know that I lost weight. I'll replace the scale soon, but I'm not going to freak about it. So, I guess even though it's totally related to my scale it's an NSV, lol. 

My first non-whole30 breakfast this morning was steel cut oats, coconut cream and strawberries with a bit of our homemade maple syrup. I tried to add enough of the coconut cream to tide me over til lunch and I think I'm going to be good. Compliant tuna salad on a bed of greens and the rest of the compliant/non-compliant potato chips I have left over is lunch, and dinner is still ?? @Sara13I'm totally pinning that recipe. :)

Congratulations, @Curley Girl! Sounds like your W30 was a success and you're well on your way! 

I weighed in today, too.  For the year prior to my W30, I had been working out faithfully and using Lose It! to track my meals and calories and daily weight. I'd lost about 10 pounds and was feeling pretty good about myself heading toward my 40th birthday this summer... but the W30 program has completely altered my perspective of what I'm capable of and the level of healthfulness that I can attain. For these 30 days, I've continued working out, lost 7.4 pounds and have actual muscle definition! More importantly, though - I have learned much about myself in terms of the sleep I need, foods I don't "need" and that I actually can refuse unwise food choices without offending anyone (and if they are offended, it's on them and not because of my delivery).  I have been happier (suspiciously so, according to my kids) and my skin is clear and glowing.  It's totally cliche, but I do feel like this is just the beginning!  (Possible TMI - The only area where I I was hoping but didn't see an improvement was in the 48-hour window immediately preceeding my period when I'm a complete emotional lunatic who really shouldn't be allowed out of her bedroom; this isn't a new problem, and it didn't get worse, so no real complaints...)

@Sara13 - I laughed out loud at your doughnut comment! If I hadn't already made a pact to husband to start with wine on Friday, I probably would have started with a doughnut myself - there are dozens in the faculty room to give the teachers a "boost" during testing this week.  (Maybe next year I'll get on the "treats" committee and we can rock it Whole 30 style...???!?!?!?)

@Curley Girl and @DaskiMom - congrats on the weight loss!  I lost 7.6lb - and be totally honest I was hoping for a little more (that's about 4.5% of my body weight from day 1  - but can't say it's a muscle/fat thing as I haven't been working out).  Good news is that I lost 3" from both my waist and hips (and 0.5" from chest).

@foxtrot I also had steel cut oats this morning! Love your story about not going with the TV remote batteries - that truly shows you are in the spirit of whole30.

I wouldn't say I savored every minute of my first off-whole30 meal, but I did enjoy it and so looking forward to being able to have regular breakfasts again.  Also time for me to get back to crossfit.

I'm almost done with FFF, and really like the philosophy of it.  I plan to use the new thread a fair amount to find out how others are doing and help keep me on track.

WE DID IT!!!!

Archived