So this is happening. - Kelly's Whole30

kellyfoss

17 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

I had a dream about toby keith. :D I dreamed I had a big dog daddy 4Wdrive pick-up that was actually a toby keith "branded" pick-up truck. He was driving like a bat out of hail on an old dirt road.  I refused to look forward because it was such a scary ride.  He was laughing and carrying on.  It was a double-seater and the back was filled with hooting and hollaring cowboys.  I was turned around/facing backwards...holding onto the back of the seat.   There was a fax machine on the driver's side and it kept spitting out  biz papers. :lol:

I told big dawg daddy, you'd better drive this truck nicely. This is my toby keith truck and don't you dare tear it up for me. We made it, apparently, because I woke up, totally relieved I was still intact.  

OH MY GOD no words for how much I love this! :lol: What is it with us and dreaming about celebrities + vehicles + danger?! That is amazing. What's up with the fax machine though? That seems oddly out of place... thanks for the early morning chuckle to start my day!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 29

M1: Leftover roasted smashed potatoes with two scrambled eggs and baby kale. Coffee with some compliant almond milk.

M2: More potatoes (I made a ton, had to eat them all!) and a salad of baby spinach, tomatoes, carrots, hard-boiled egg, pecans and cucumbers. Oil & vinegar dressing.

M3: Mel Joulwan's Paleo Beef Stew! I bought a dutch oven last week because I really want to start making more soups, broths, stews, etc. It's a good healthy way to use up a lot of veggies and ingredients so you don't waste them. And it's delicious. This stew was insane! It calls for red wine but I substituted balsamic vinegar. It simmered for two hours and it was super thick, rich and hearty. We both inhaled it. Also had a small side of strawberry and kiwi with dinner.

Tomorrow is what would've been my last full day! I can't believe how fast it went and how different I feel now. The full-blown Tiger Blood is finally here! I think clearly, I work fast and multi-task better. I have more confidence in how I look and how I speak and my mood is so much better. Today was one of the busiest, most stressful days at work I've had in a while, and it didn't faze me. I tackled everything one step at a time with a smile on my face because I had no doubt it would all get done. The rest of this week will be full compliancy, and I'll start my slow roll reintro next week. I am loving this lifestyle though, I can't wait to find a good balance that works for me long term.

Day 30 (!!!)

So I'm writing this on Day 31, hence there will be some information that covers both days.

M1: Scrambled eggs with baby kale, half an avocado, apple slices and almond butter.

M2: Leftover beef stew. This kept me full all the way until 5:30-6 in the evening!

M3: Ratatouille, made from the recipe in the Whole30 book. It was SO GOOD. I followed the recipe pretty much to a T except instead of making the tomato sauce from scratch, I just added half a cup of diced canned tomatoes and a spoonful of tomato paste, plus some basil. It was amazing and I made plenty to take leftovers for lunch the following day. I tried to add some cut up steak on the side but I overcooked it and it was super tough. I ate what I could of that.

So... drumroll... it is now the morning of Day 31 and I decided on a whim to weigh myself as soon as I woke up. I was going to wait until next week but my curiosity won out. I lost 8 lb! 149.2. I moved the scale to a different part of the floor and got 148.3, but decided to err on the higher side of things since I got that result several times in a row. I'm so excited to be back in the 140s (by the skin of my teeth, but I'll take it)! It's just the icing on the cake to what was already a month full of victories. I just can't believe I lost that much even after hurting my back and hardly getting to exercise this month. I can't wait to see, moving forward, what eating right and actually working out will do for me!

Floating on air today. :)

On 3/24/2017 at 5:29 AM, kellyfoss said:

Day 25

M1: Three scrambled eggs with spinach. Apple slices and almond butter. Actually made some coffee this morning because I was freezing cold, and added some coconut milk. It was okay but the texture was kind of odd once the milk melted and formed an oil on top of the coffee. Not sure I’m a fan.

M2: Leftover Korean beef and rice with cucumber slices and a hard-boiled egg on top.

M3: I set out to make twice-baked sweet potatoes stuffed with diced veggies, but I got impatient and just made a sweet potato hash instead. I plopped all the leftover vegetables from the week into my food processor and created a weird “salsa” which I cooked with the hash. It was actually pretty good. Made a couple of eggs on the side as well.

Today was probably the most “impromptu” of all the days of my Whole30 so far. I didn’t plan much, I went with the flow. I think I’m getting a little burned out on the foods I’ve been eating. I need to mix things up for next week, so I’ll be hunting for some new recipes this weekend. If I’m going to continue this for another 20 days I’ll need some more variety.

I also worked out today for the first time in weeks, now that my back has decided to stop sucking. Just did 30 minutes of kickboxing and some stretching to cool down, burned about 175 calories according to my Fitbit. I had eaten dinner about an hour before I worked out, so I wasn't hungry for a post-WO snack. Plus at that point it was almost 8 PM so I kinda disregarded the suggestions this time as far as exercise goes. I'll plan better tomorrow when I hope to work out again. I tell you what, though... energy! Energy galore! Usually my first day back at it after a long break from exercise, I feel like I'm dying. Not this time.

Congrats on making it to day 30 and your positive results!!!

Day 31

Not sure if I should keep logging here or not since I'm not technically in the reintro phase yet, but I'm starting day 32... meh. I'll just keep going until my reintro begins next week.

M1: Egg scramble with kale, avocado on the side. Black tea with lemon.

M2: Leftover ratatouille with the other half of the avocado. Still so amazingly good! I'll be making this comfort dish again in the future for sure. Plus it's a great way to get a giant amount of veggies into my body.

M3: Pan-fried tilapia, the last of the leftover roasted smashed potatoes, and a side of roasted butternut squash! I had never made butternut squash before. It was surprisingly easy and SO YUMMY! Tastes just like a sweet potato to me. I put some olive oil and cinnamon on it. To die for.

I'm tempted to weigh myself again this weekend because I feel like I'm still losing weight - my work pants that are normally tight are starting to fall off me. Oops. Might be time to go shopping! I am hardly ever hungry though, my portions and the food I'm eating keep me plenty satisfied all day. Still going strong.

Day 32

M1: Scrambled eggs with kale and tomatoes. Half an avocado. Black tea with lemon.

M2: Leftover potatoes, egg frittata and mashed butternut squash. So good!

M3: Chicken piccata for the second time, as requested by the BF. Less garlic this time around which was a good move. Also added a hard-boiled egg on the side because I felt the portion wasn't large enough. Had some apple slices and almond butter for "dessert"/fat content.

Going to start planning my grocery trip for next week, which will include the non-compliant items I intend to reintroduce slowly. Should be interesting! I don't expect to have much reaction to legumes or non-gluten grains, but I'm somewhat concerned about gluten, dairy and especially sugar. My sugar dragon is a wily, persistent beast. In order to tame it, I have planned to buy some paleo, wholesome baking ingredients so that if and when I do desire something sweet, I'll have to 1) make it from scratch myself, 2) make it gluten-free (almond flour) and 3), really think about whether I want it or not. Because it will take time and effort. I think it'll be a solid plan.

Otherwise, still feeling great! Singing Whole30's praises from the rooftops and annoying all my friends, haha... sorry not sorry about that one.

Day 33

M1: Scrambled eggs and roasted potatoes. Tea.

M2: "Everything potato and egg salad" because my greens were starting to go bad so I couldn't make an actual salad, haha. I essentially chopped up a bunch of veggies, potatoes and hard-boiled eggs and tossed them in lemon juice and the chipotle lime mayo and threw it all in a bowl with some salt and pepper. It was actually really good and filled me up until dinner.

M3: Chicken breast, broccoli and carrots.

Only 3-4 days before I start reintroduction! I made my shopping list for tomorrow which includes dark chocolate (70% or more), brown rice, yogurt, gluten free and regular wheat bread. Ack. We already have peanut butter at home which should take care of the legumes. Oh, and I guess I should buy wine? Don't have any other alcohol in the house except scotch, which I don't particularly want to be my reintro drink of choice. I'm both excited and scared for this upcoming week. I know it's an essential part of the process, but I feel so good right now it's hard to want to stop!

Starting on Monday I'm going to move this log over to the Post-Whole30 section of the forums when my reintro begins. I'll link to my new log there.

(P.S. It is now the morning of day 34 and I decided to weigh myself again a few days later - down another pound! Brings my overall total to 9 lb lost in almost 5 weeks. Pretty dang happy about that.)

Days 34 & 35 - Summary

Well, I think this log is just about coming to a close! I began my first reintroduction on day 35 with dairy. So at this point I'll be moving things elsewhere. I'm not actually going to create a new log of my own because I'm part of an ongoing log with my group who all started on February 27th. I'll be posting there as I go through the reintro process (I'll link to that in a separate post shortly if anyone is interested). 

It was really nice to have a place to come every day and keep track of my journey through my first Whole30! It certainly won't be my last, because this was such an amazing experience. I lost a grand total of 10 lb in 5 weeks and gained so much more. 

• I sleep better. Like CRAZY better. I dream almost every night and wake up refreshed. I don't even need earplugs much anymore to stay asleep.
  • The dark circles under my eyes that I always blamed on my "Italian genes" are less pronounced.
  • I don't need caffeine to function anymore.
  • I have way more energy for exercising and just in general.
  • No more bloating or discomfort which I would so often experience after meals.
  • My sugar dragon is now just a little sugar gecko, and I know how to handle him.
  • I'm in a better mood on a regular basis and the things that used to stress me out don't bother me as much.
  • My skin is clearer and brighter.
  • I'm more confident, both in the way I look and in the kitchen as well! I'm learning that I really enjoy cooking and planning meals.
  • I'm not snacking anymore, I'm not hungry in-between meals.
  • I'm less anxious about going to the grocery store because I've been forced to do it about twice a week.

Most importantly, doing this has made me feel like I can do anything I put my mind to. I've always known that, but I needed reminding I think. So I decided to apply to finish my Bachelor's degree! I currently have an Associate's in Graphic Design, but I want a BA in Marketing and I'm going for it. It's an accelerated program and I hope to finish in less than 18 months. I just feel like I can pretty much take on the world right now. Can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring! I'll be finishing my reintros over the next 7-8 days and developing my food plan moving forward.

Thank you, Whole30! For everything.

Archived