Return of the November Whole30

CCLaymon

We are a group that started together in November of 2016. Some have stayed the Whole30 course, some have done minor reintroductions, some are ready for a FULL RESET!

Welcome back team!  @Laurie @Jessica NG @IronGirlTrixie @browneyedbeauty @higs @NoMoreCrunchyCravings @PatriciaNY @mhemm @MizRik

If I have left anyone out, please feel free to tag or invite your other Whole30 friends!  Happy Day 1!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off to a great start with a 2.5 mile run in snowfall and some scrambled eggs and black coffee for breakfast.  I have to choke those eggs down, but I feel better now for it!  Hubby is on board this time, too - however I know it won't be a full 30 it will be "as compliant as possible (for the rest of our lives, really).  I got an Instant Pot 2 weeks ago and I am IN LOVE!!!

Here we go!!!

Good morning!!! I had to google Instant pot to see what it was @mhemm.  Good for you running in the snow, if that were me I'd probably break something!!!  (klutz here) :D.  Today I had a strange breakfast but very compliant, was running late so threw some of my homemade chicken salad in a dish and brought it to work with a few pieces of cantalope, lunch today will consist of my homemade concoction of saute'd sweet potatoes in coconut oil and onion and left over cut up chicken curry with broccoli and Aidel's Chicken Apple sausage.  Curry has become my new spice love!.  And of course my pumpkin spice coffee with Hazelnut (nutpods).  Have a blessed and wonderful day all, and keep smiling even through the rain drops!  :P

CCLaymon - thanks for starting the new thread.

I pm'ed @AliceV to inform of her of our new Whole 30.  Hope she will join us.

Although I have done many W30's, I think this one may be the hardest for me.  Not sure my heart/head is into it but I need to make a good attempt.  Talking it meal by meal, day by day.

Yay! I'm so glad we're back!  @mhemm the instant pot! I definitely need one.

I'm trying the shepherd's pie tonight for the first time - looking forward to that!

I'm not sure if I shared this before, but here is my favorite breakfast: butternut squash hash (with shallots and compliant sugar free bacon) with 2 eggs over easy. HEAVEN! I eat that many mornings. It take a little time, but I cut up bowls of squash on the weekend to make it easier. 

Have a great day 1!

Day 1 went well.  Exercised at home - mostly body weight - squats, lunges, planks, worked on balance and core.  Pulled something in my back while working out so I will listen to my body the next few days.  Need to increase water.

Hope everyone had a good day 1.

@Laurie I definitely do not drink enough water and I want to focus on that. I will try and remember to post that here for my accountability. How did day 1 go for everyone else? I always think that's the easiest day so I hope it was a good one! :D 

As of yesterday the Lenten season has started for me, and I'm sure a lot of others!  Friday's dinner will consist of Shrimp, saute'd sweet potatoes and onion in olive oil and curry and coconut milk!  Haven't made up my mind what to give up yet, because I've been eating better then ever, but giving up sweets was the hardest thing for me in the beginning, but now It doesn't bother me.  I guess giving up negative thoughts about certain things is what I'm going to give up!  and not letting certain things bring me down like they have in the past few months!  As far as the water drinking, I'm not one that can drink plain water so I add a splash of juice (organic no sugar of course)  helps with the drinking!!  Today will be a good test as to how I've been doing, fore I have an Endocrine appointment with my Dr.  I have to confess in the past 3 months with Christmas and New Years I haven't been good so this will be a test when I get my A1C back (sweating bullets :unsure:).  Last one was 6.5 so we'll see how bad I've actually been ughhh!  

@MizRik I was just think of you this morning! Glad you are back with us!

My husband is toying with doing a Whole30. I'm crossing my fingers and not pressuring him. I'm not doing an official Whole30 right now myself, because I want to feel free to try a few re-introductions when the time feels right. But I'm currently entirely compliant and likely to be so for the indefinite future. My stomach/gut continues to improve, which is good, but I won't be testing non-compliant foods until it is more healed than it is currently. Who knew that the Whole30 way of eating that I started last November would continue through March 2 and on into the future! Certainly not me!

I hope it's okay that I hang with you all while I carry on with my Whole30 eating, even while I'm not official. I promise I won't talk about scale weight or testing non-compliant foods, even if I do test before March 31. (I think it is unlikely that I'll do any testing before then anyway.)

My husband chose to not eat grains, legumes, or sugar today. He's definitely interested, but - in my assessment - not sure he's up for it. His decision, of course.

I made eggplant "buns" to go with the hamburgers I made for dinner tonight, and they were so delicious! Wow! What in the world was I waiting for? All those hamburgers I've eaten plain over the last 3 months, when I could have been eating them with eggplant "buns." Live and learn. Husband joined me with the eggplant buns, and he liked them too.

I roasted sweet potato spears for the kids and the husband (too many FODMAPs for me), and they loved them. All of us except my son had green salads on the side. Yum!

I'm feeling fine, but of course today is actually day 102 for me, rather than day 2. ;) I was curious, so I went to the calendar and did some counting.

Today was a weight lifting day for me, and I was pleased to realize that I'm ready to bump up from 30 pounds on my "pull-me-ins" to 35 pounds. Yay! And the 180-pound calf presses (I bumped up last week from 160) are feeling a little more feasible. I'm regaining some of the ground I lost while I was up in Maryland when my mom was in the hospital. She is doing well in rehab, making progress, and in good spirits.

@IronGirlTrixie You've got this! You can do it!

@CCLaymon Cassie, how was your shepherd's pie?

@Laurie I hope your back is feeling better!

@PatriciaNY When will you get the results for your A1C test back?

@mhemm Have you tried putting some onion powder in your eggs before you scramble them? My son really likes them that way. I do too ;) , but can't have the onion powder because of the FODMAPs in it.

Good morning Day 3!  @Jessica NG, I did not make the shepherd's pie - I just could not bring myself to make mashed potatoes :D It felt like a lot of work at the moment! I made a meatloaf instead, which was not good at all. I'll need to experiment to find a good Whole30 meatloaf. If anyone has a good recipe, please share.

I did make the pistachio pesto chicken last night - I think it was the best one yet!

This weekend will be full of eating out  - I am kicking off a Writer's Weekend as the keynote speaker tonight. This is HILARIOUS, because unlike our resident author, @Jessica NG I don't like to write :D  I did have some good success with my book last year, though, so I'm going to share that with this year's attendees.

Lots of stress at our house these days - my son is very unsure of his major, and we're supposed to be doing all the college visits spring break week.  I've been encouraging him down an engineering track (I am very practical) but the truth is, he's wildly creative and clever, and I don't want to see him unhappy. I know it will all work out, but the unknowns are tough for a planner like me.

Needless to say after 3 and half months of 95%+ Whole30, food is not my go-to. If I'm stressed I may eat a little more fruit, but I can live with that.  I am tempted to try off plan items from time to time, but I am just not confident that it won't send me off the deep again. I'm happy to be back to 100% with all of you for the next 30-40 days!

Happy Friday!

@Jessica NG Have to wait for the A1C til the doctor comes back, he's off today how dare him lol.  Very pleased he was down another pound since last time, and told me more exercise not just walking the dog lol.  Todays lunch is leftover chocolate chilli and tonight I'm going to make some kind of concoction with shrimp and sweet potatoes and coconut milk and curry, and of course veggies.  @CCLaymon I tried reintroducing things to but have come to the conclusion now my gut doesn't like a lot of things Pasta being one of them, and anything with flour YUK! still drinking my coffee the same way with (nutpods) but can drink it black also and my tea, actually taste buds seem to be more alive without the sugar and junk in the creamers!  Hoping you all have a wonderful weekend and stay warm anyone that lives near the upper part of NY it's going to be COLDDDDD!!!

Hellllloooooo ladies!! Missed you all!! 

As for me. I really wanted to start on the first, but I had not actually prepped for it. My life right before consisted of a week in Cancun that was AMAZING!! Then I returned home and worked 7 night shifts in a row. First day off was the 1st of March sooooooo needless to say I had NOTHING prepped and no fresh groceries in the house. I was eating non compliant foods by 6pm. Whoops. 

The last few days have been spent catching up on life responsibilities and I still haven't made it to the store. Second whoops. 

Plan from this point. Get my grocery shopping done and start ASAP!! I may actually do a mini detox starting today. If I do it, it will consists of drinking shakeology meal supplement shakes and that's about it for maybe 48 hours. 

One big thing that I did do however was sign up at a new gym yesterday!! HAPPY DANCE!!! 

Well. I am off to start my day! 

Good luck to you ladies!! 

Im excited to be back. 

@Jessica NG Wow! 102! Awesome sauce! Eggplant buns?! I must learn about these! 

@CCLaymon  well, there's computer engineering with games and art so that could be the creative outlet with a little practicality mixed in. ;) 

My sugar dragon is screaming. Very. Very. LOUDLY! I'm not giving in. One more day and it should settle down if the past is any indication. I haven't done as much prep as I'd like so I feel ya @MizRik gonna try to get on that Sunday. Cause that's when I feel like I might have some time. 

Glad to see you all getting on well with the beginning (and almost beginning, and continuation) of your w30. I've decided I'm not going to try to do one, or it'll be half-assed. I have been sticking with my plan of eating w30 at work (minimum of two meals), but have also continued with my non-w30 meals at home, as well as how I have been choosing to drink my coffee (with cream and sugar). But I look forward to hearing how you ladies all get it done! Good luck! I'll likely lurk around here, but also will be posting in our post-w30 thread where we'd previously been relocated. :)

@CCLaymon Cassie, your report that food is no longer your go-to for stress relief is awesome! Great non-scale victory. Really, that's huge! I hope your big weekend went well. You made me chuckle with your reference to me as author-in-residence. ;) You mention that your son is wildly creative and clever; does he have some special interests? Or is he good at many things and interested in many things? That can sometimes make it much harder to dial in your focus on one area. I sympathize with your anxiety. Some of my most difficult anxieties have to do with my kids; I think it is that way with many (all?) parents.

@PatriciaNY Great news about your A1C being down another few points! Keep up the great work!

@MizRik Did you get your grocery shopping done? Fingers crossed for you!

@IronGirlTrixie The recipe for eggplant buns is in the Whole30 book, in the section on basic techniques right before the recipe section. I think my oven must run a little cold, because it says to roast the three-quarter-inch rounds at 425F for 25 minutes, but I had to keep adding more time to mine. The next time, I will try 435F and see if that does not require all that extra time. I sliced my eggplant into three-quarter-inch slices. drizzled each side of each slice  with a little clarified butter, and then sprinkled some salt and pepper on each side. Then I placed them on a foil-lined baking sheet and baked them. Mine were not sturdy enough to use as actual buns. So I used a fork and knife to eat the burger, but I included a piece of eggplant on the fork with each bite of burger, and it tasted so good.

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Your reasoning makes sense. Please do lurk and comment when you feel moved to!

Tonight I made Romesco Sauce (which I had never tasted before) and served it over shrimp and zoodles. It was awesome delicious. My husband loved it, and even the kids liked it. I didn't use the recipe from the book, which uses tomatoes instead of peppers, because we just had a tomato sauce yesterday with our meatballs and paroodles. So I hunted around on the internet and then took what I liked from two (well, three, really) different recipes and combined them. I will definitely be making more Romesco sauce a la Ney-Grimm. Loved it. My recipe:

2 red bell peppers
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup whole, raw almonds
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

First roast the peppers: pre-heat oven to 450F, cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stem and membrane, place on parchment covered baking tray (skin side up), roast in oven for 25 minutes, then remove from tray, place in a bowl, cover with a plate, and allow to cool.

Toast almonds in a skillet while the peppers are roasting.

Peel the skin from the cooled roasted peppers and discard it.

Place the peppers, almonds, tomatoes, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and cayenne in the food processor. Process until smooth. Store in fridge for future use, or heat up to use immediately.

My husband is now officially doing a Whole30. He decided a couple days ago, and has been compliant since then. He seems to be feeling fine on his day 3. No "carb flu." He's pretty pleased with himself, and I am very pleased also. I hope he experiences the good results that I have!

Today marks day one for me. I got all my grocery shopping for the week done yesterday and a little bit of meal prep done last night. 

Added bonus, my Hubby said he is 100% on board. We shall see how long he lasts. LOL. 

I do need to admit upfront that I cannot claim that I am doing an official Whole30. The reasons for that are as follows.

*I plan on weighing myself on a regular basis as I will be getting back to the gym, lifting weights again, and working with a personal trainer. So weights and measurements will be monitored fairly closely.  

* I will have non-compliant bacon and sausage on occasion that do contain sugar (Call this one me being lazy and cheap LOL).  

* I will allow bai antioxidant flavored water. No more than one drink per day. 

* Last but not least my liquid pro-biotic may have sugar in it?? I atleast found one that was dairy free, but I wanna say it contained sugar?? 

I guess that's all for now! 

Hope everyone has an amazing day! 

Rikki 

Oh one more thing.....

As for my lack of 100% compliance I promise to not mention those items in this thread again. I just love and respect you ladies and want to be completely honest.

From my confession forward I will keep those things to myself so I don't confuse anyone or get anyone else in trouble with moderators for lack of rule following. 

:) 

Just a quick hello and check in.  Day 6.  Just exercised at home and ate breakfast.  My mom was admitted to the hospital yesterday so spent most of Sunday in the emergency room.  Off to visit her.  So much going on in my head and heart.

Archived