Return of the November Whole30

CCLaymon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. So far for day one I have absolutely no appetite!!! 

I ate the breakfast casserole that I prepped last night and sadly it wasn't very good. The recipie called for sweet potatoes, but I have learned that sweet potatoes try to send me to the emergency department. So I just made it with red potatoes and it wasn't very good. 

Lunch rolled around and I couldn't even bring myself to eat. 

Plans for dinner include a rosemary rubbed pork loin so we shall see how that goes. 

Hope everyone is doing well 

Ok, I'm back. It's been such a busy whirlwind and I keep forgetting we're together again and I have to check in and post!

@Jessica NG mostly I want my son to go to your alma mater :) We're coming for a visit in April.  I think if he can find something writing/public speaking with some entertaining mixed in, he'll be happy. He has requested that once AP Calculus is over, "can I take a class on making comic books?" The struggle is real :D

Food is on track, but not exciting. Just like I like it. I am DEFINITELY trying the eggplant buns!

@Laurie I'm so sorry about mom. I hope she is doing better today.

@IronGirlTrixie how is the sugar dragon tonight?

@PatriciaNY great prepping!

@MizRik and @NoMoreCrunchyCravings glad to have you along on the journey. Emily, I'm going to Norway in July. Have you been there my world traveling friend? What do I do there?  It's our 5th anniversary so off we will go, by way of Amsterdam!

Day 6 is in the books and I'm ready to hit the hay!

Day one for me is done! 

Breakfast..... the not so good breakfast casserole. 

Lunch.... can't lie I never did eat. I just was not hungry. 

Dinner....amazing rosemary rubbed pork loin and baked veggies. Mmmmmmm!! Yummy!!!! 

Overall I drank about 100oz of water. I'm pretty happy with that since increasing my water intake is one of my main goals. 

Bring on tomorrow! 

The sugar dragon has settled down a bit.  It usually does after 3 days or so....

I'm definitely thinking about those buns!

Struggling a little bit.  Trying to get a new car, staying on track and still get things done.  Tough.  So much time wasting happens in car shopping.  Must only be fun if someone has an infinite budget or has no stake in the process (ie the friend you bring along).

Back to racking my brain for tomorrow's quick put together meals!

Y'all sound like you're on track and I'm glad we're all back at it.

Today I decided to let the almond butter and sugar free bacon go. I just decided when I finished them both up yesterday, I would not restock. And then I immediately drove to the store tonight, lured by the thought of almond butter. I Just. Said. No. What am I, crazy? It's nutty how a food can really take over your brain. I'm struggling today too, Melissa. So glad to have you all along for the ride!

I did better on the water today, but not as good as Rikki!

@CCLaymon Cassie, you and your son might find Drawing Out the Dragons by James A. Owen to be useful reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Out-Dragons-Meditation-Meditations-ebook/dp/B00O3VTCII/

@MizRik I'm glad your headache is gone and that your food choices are on point.

@IronGirlTrixie How are you doing today?

Today was day 7 for my husband, and he seems to be following the Whole30 timeline as outlined in the book. He didn't really suffer the "carb flu" of days 2-3, but he definitely wanted to "kill all the things" on days 4-5, and today he just wanted to nap! I've warned him that "why are my pants too tight" comes next. ;)

Today was a swimming day for me, and I found myself in conversation about osteoporosis and weight lifting with a sister swimmer who I've chatted with quite a bit over the last few months. She was interested in my weight lifting and wants to get started with it herself, because she too has osteoporosis. In the course of our conversation I found myself mentioning It Starts With Food. I felt a little weird, because I am so enthusiastic about what the Whole30 (Whole108 ;) ) is doing for me, and yet I know that the general population would probably just consider me a nut. I was low key in my mention of the book, and I didn't talk about the Whole30 at all.

Checking in... I'm doing ok. Definitely ready to nap a lot. Can't tell if it's because I've been sleep deprived, stressed or whole30 kicking in. 

I haven't off roaded but I did miss a meal yesterday. I'm feeling that today! So so hungry! Gonna have done more good stuff and see where it goes. 

Getting back to pre-planning rather than winging it on frozen left overs that I'm bored with or quick meals like tuna salad. It got me through that time crunch patch but I need more! Which will happen hopefully tonight and definitely over the weekend. Can we say cook up?! 

Much love! 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, Jessica NG said:

Tonight I made Romesco Sauce (which I had never tasted before) and served it over shrimp and zoodles. It was awesome delicious. My husband loved it, and even the kids liked it. I didn't use the recipe from the book, which uses tomatoes instead of peppers, because we just had a tomato sauce yesterday with our meatballs and paroodles. So I hunted around on the internet and then took what I liked from two (well, three, really) different recipes and combined them. I will definitely be making more Romesco sauce a la Ney-Grimm. Loved it. My recipe:

2 red bell peppers
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup whole, raw almonds
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

First roast the peppers: pre-heat oven to 450F, cut peppers in half, remove seeds and stem and membrane, place on parchment covered baking tray (skin side up), roast in oven for 25 minutes, then remove from tray, place in a bowl, cover with a plate, and allow to cool.

Toast almonds in a skillet while the peppers are roasting.

Peel the skin from the cooled roasted peppers and discard it.

Place the peppers, almonds, tomatoes, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and cayenne in the food processor. Process until smooth. Store in fridge for future use, or heat up to use immediately.

My husband is now officially doing a Whole30. He decided a couple days ago, and has been compliant since then. He seems to be feeling fine on his day 3. No "carb flu." He's pretty pleased with himself, and I am very pleased also. I hope he experiences the good results that I have!

This sauce sounds GREAT! I'll try it sometime soon-- thanks for posting! Also, glad your husband is doing well with w30. Go you guys!! Also, what are "paroodles?" I had images of poodles with parasols and know that's likely not what you meant... :lol:

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, PatriciaNY said:

Busy weekend here, made ghee, fritata, and first time shrimp and aunduili sausage jambalaya yum! Next step call the gym and inquire about aquatic zumba!  Have a great day all.

Aquatic Zumba! That sounds amazing! Let us know how it goes!!!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, MizRik said:

Oh one more thing.....

As for my lack of 100% compliance I promise to not mention those items in this thread again. I just love and respect you ladies and want to be completely honest.

From my confession forward I will keep those things to myself so I don't confuse anyone or get anyone else in trouble with moderators for lack of rule following. 

:) 

I'm going to do the same thing. I miss posting with you all! :huh:

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Laurie said:

Just a quick hello and check in.  Day 6.  Just exercised at home and ate breakfast.  My mom was admitted to the hospital yesterday so spent most of Sunday in the emergency room.  Off to visit her.  So much going on in my head and heart.

Sending good vibes and prayers to the heavens - I'm sorry to hear your mom is unwell. I'm so glad that you're doing some self-care as well, though. Keep eating and exercising if you can - it will keep you sane!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, CCLaymon said:

Emily, I'm going to Norway in July. Have you been there my world traveling friend? What do I do there?  It's our 5th anniversary so off we will go, by way of Amsterdam!

I haven't been to Norway (yet!), but I have been to Amsterdam, and it's WONDERFUL! Do you get to spend much time there, or is it just for a layover? I'm so excited to hear about your travel plans for your anniversary and can't wait to see pictures from when you're back!

So, like @MizRik, I can't stay away. I miss this group too much! I'll refrain from posting about my non-w30 consumables, but I don't want to stop posting altogether with everyone! So here I am. :rolleyes:

I started back at the gym in the last week or so, having been feeling more and more like a stuffed sausage... it's been on my mind for awhile now, but a recent appointment to see my primary care practitioner, complete with all kinds of numerical measurements, including my blood pressure, had me finally convinced that it was time to start. So I've gotten back into it just as easily as I'd let my fitness slip away before the cold months hit (really, probably much before then as well, but at least I'd been walking outside during the warmer months).

Mostly I've been doing cardio on the elliptical, treadmill and recumbent bicycle, for about an hour or so on days off, and for at least a half hour after work days in my full-time job where I'm doing my 12 hour shifts. But today, as a day off, I started back up with classes. Today's was called BURN or something, and it was nuts for my first attempt! I introduced myself to the instructor and told her I haven't done a class in years, and she was excited for me to be positioned right up in the front next to her. I was the largest participant size-wise, by far, but I was OK with just doing what I was able to do and pushing myself when I felt comfortable. So that's what I did - I pushed myself hard during the warmup where the exercises were easy to do and got my heart rate up and the sweat pouring, and then as the exercises got more and more intense and difficult, I just modified them so that I could do them comfortably, and did them at my own rate. At one point I got fairly dizzy, so I stopped and drank some water, but picked it back up after I'd recovered, at a little bit of a slower pace. I actually didn't feel too well after the class was over, and had to sit in my car awhile before I felt safe driving home. It was weird and I wondered if it was from pushing myself quite hard so suddenly without having worked up to it. When I got home I took a nap, strangely enough. Then I woke up and have been drinking tons of water since. I'm not going to let it put me off from keeping with the momentum, but I think I will reevaluate what kinds of classes I participate in until my fitness level is back up a little higher than it is now!

I've already signed up for a cycling class early Monday morning before a meeting I have near the gym, and a kickboxing class before work (my later starting per-diem job) on Tuesday morning. Knowing how I felt today during and after class, I'll adjust my effort level to moderate rather than high to avoid future episodes of not feeling well during and after working out.

Emotionally, I also started with a new therapist - the one I'd been seeing for the last two years had retired in December. And I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist at the end of the month to review my antidepressant medication regimen. I've been really quite weepy in the last couple of months, and with the first anniversary of my mom's death coming up next week, I know it's not going to get any easier for me and my apparent protracted grieving. So, hopefully between eating better, exercising more, and meeting with the therapist, I'll be able to get through it all ok.

Ummmm. I'm on day four?  I think?  

Tired!! That about sums it up.

Despite that I still hit the gym tonight and got my keester kicked!!! But it felt good. First time I have been in a while. 

I will be back after some good sleep to actually reply to people. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Well called about the aquatic zumba and they offer it only while I'm at work, so there's another class called "wet Workout"  which I'm going to sign up for, already bought my pool shoes, now hopefully my bathing suit will fit...lol Looking forward to doing this, if I like it I may do another class!!!  So proud of you @MizRik your doing great keep up the good work! @Jessica NG very interesting about the Parsnip noodles I've done zuccini noodles with my veggetti I'll have to try the Parsnips.  I know what you mean @NoMoreCrunchyCravings, I've become attached to this thread and the ladies here we're a great group if I do say so myself!

Last night I made my favorite Aidells Chicken apple sausage, sweet potatoes, onion, sauteed in Olive Oil, with curry powder salt and pepper and coconut milk.  Love taking eggs over easy and plopping them on top of this YUM....I can't wait til the veggies come in season Come on Summer!!  Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Hey Ladies!

Been a while, my birthday was last weekend and I've got a bunch of self-imposed work to do this month, so I'll mostly lurk. Since I'm not at all compliant right now, I'll post a bigger run down in the other thread.

Keep it up all, you're doing great!

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings and @MizRik Congrats on all the gym visits! Way to go!

@IronGirlTrixie Woohoo on those "non-W" jeans!

@PatriciaNY I actually didn't like the paroodles that much. They were okay, they were edible, but... not worth the effort for me. Of course, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't like them. Just as some prefer spaghetti squash to zoodles, others the opposite. ;)

@browneyedbeauty Lurk away, and comment when you feel so moved. I'll miss you if you don't. :)

@CCLaymon Cassie, where are you? How are you doing?

I had enough energy this morning to tackle re-organizing my microwave cabinet and putting new shelf liner on its shelves. After doing a thorough clean-up of the kitchen, which we'd let go while we worked on the tax forms needed by our accountant.

Hello Ladies!  I was catching up on the thread last night and should have posted but I was in a FUNK.  Sam (my boy) has started his job, so now on top of his very busy school/marching band commitment, he is working every Friday/Saturday/Sunday at rehearsals to be ready for opening at Six Flags on April 1. I have a little more than a year until he goes to college, and I was suddenly feeling SO LONELY. It's been the two of us for a long time, and I am not looking forward to this transition. Sam, however, is having a great time and loves the very small cast he's been assigned to for the summer (just 4 of them with an understudy!). It's a mystery and he is playing detective Nicky Falzone. :D:D:D

Food wise, I'm on track. I want to share a couple of easy recipes I've found:

I am making this tomorrow. It looks too good to be true http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51763/bundt-pan-roast-chicken-recipe/

https://cafedelites.com/2016/07/05/grilled-lemon-herb-mediterranean-chicken-salad-recipe/  I made this marinade and used turkey breast instead of chicken breast. It made my son's list of favorite meals! I have to admit is was pretty tasty.

@Jessica NG that book was AMAZING!  I asked Sam to read it and I think he will LOVE the comic book theme.  I think I will have to read some of his other books!

I haven't talked about this much, but here is a huge NSV for me: When I started Whole30 in November, my monthly cycle was coming every 14 days. It was happening for about 6 months. Now that I've been eating better, I'm back to a regular cycle. It was really such a pain before, and that keeps me motivated to stay on the plan.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Hellloooo ladies!!

@CCLaymon Way to make a change and have food no longer your go to in stress!! I am still working on that one! For example, even when trying to be compliant... that almond butter can be like crack for me! LOL  Oh and it breaks my heart to hear about your son. My oldest is only 13, but I dread the day he starts REALLY growing up.

@mhemm You made a comment about "being compliant as possible"  I am kinda feeling that right now. I may have slipped this weekend. However I am trying really hard to not let it get me down. After all I did say from day one that I cant say I am doing an official whole30, but I slipped bigger than planned. Whoops.

@PatriciaNY Nice work on your A1C!!! Keep it up!

@Laurie How is your mom? How are you? Are you still getting in your workouts?

@Jessica NG 102 days!! That's crazy!! NICE WORK!! 

@IronGirlTrixie How is the sugar dragon these days?? Congrats on the jeans!!

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Tell me more about this thread you guys were "relocated" too?? Wondering if I should post there since Im not really doing a true whole30??   How is the gym going?? I have only been twice this past week, but man my body is SORE!!

I am on day #7 of an unofficial whole30 and feeling pretty good!

Keep up the good work ladies!!

Don't forget to drink your water!!

Just worked Friday through the entire weekend and am EXHAUSTED! Can't wait to do a little resting, some cooking, cleaning, and exercising. I'm off tomorrow (aside form an important meeting at 10am) and Wednesday (aside from a professional learning dinner at a steakhouse), and working Tuesday at my per diem job. Phew! Now we're due to get a snow storm Monday night which I think may last until Wednesday... have lots to do in a relatively short period of time, but that's the name of the game!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, CCLaymon said:

I've seen that roast chicken recipe video - it looks really cool. Let us know how it comes out-- I wouldn't mind making it for my family if yours is a success.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, browneyedbeauty said:

Been a while, my birthday was last weekend

Happy birthday!!!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, PatriciaNY said:

Well called about the aquatic zumba and they offer it only while I'm at work, so there's another class called "wet Workout"  which I'm going to sign up for

Tell us how your Wet Workout went!

10 hours ago, MizRik said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Tell me more about this thread you guys were "relocated" too?? Wondering if I should post there since Im not really doing a true whole30??   How is the gym going?? I have only been twice this past week, but man my body is SORE!!

Oh, just the post-w30 page where our other thread got moved to. Nothing that you haven't seen before! :) My gym exploits have been spotty at best, but better than they were two weeks ago, which was nil. I'd scheduled gym classes for the next three mornings but due to our impending winter storm, I think I'm going to cancel my reservations and just do some cardio if it's safe enough to venture out there for it. And if not, I'm going to try not to be so much of a couch potato. :rolleyes:

@CCLaymon Cassie, I'm glad that you found Drawing out the Dragons to be inspiring. I hope Sam does, too. Big congrats on your NSV! That's huge!

@MizRik How was your day 8? I hope your fatigue is ebbing.

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Did you rest and cook and exercise today? Hope the exhaustion is fading!

I cooked pork hocks today and was pleased to discover that they turned out a lot like the pork carnitas in the Whole30 book. Yum! I was making them to have in Pork & Pumpkin soup. I followed this recipe to cook them: https://paleoleap.com/oven-roasted-pork-hocks/ (I omitted the garlic and onions.)

My son was dubious about the unusual ingredients in the soup. He's never one who wants to try something new, but he really liked it once he tasted it. Yay!

My recipe (except I forgot to put the avocado on at the end for a topping! Darn! I got one, too):

1 roasted cauliflower head, cut into florets
clarified butter or olive oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped (reserve some chopped pieces for toppings)
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
5 cups chicken stock28 oz can pumpkin flesh
14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 ½ cups of cooked pork or chicken
1 avocado, cubed
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 440F. Cut cauliflower into florets and drizzle them with clarified butter.

Spread the florets on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes. Add them to the stock mixture (below) when done.

While the cauliflower roasts, chop the green onions and the yellow pepper. Sauté the onion and pepper in clarified butter until the pepper is soft. Add the stock, pumpkin, tomatoes, parsley, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Add the cauliflower when it is done roasting. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add cooked meat. Simmer to heat the meat through.

Top servings with avocado and green onion. Serves 5-6.

My recipe was based on this one: https://paleoleap.com/ham-pumpkin-soup/

Hello ladies! I'm just catching up. The sugar dragon is sleeping. Or mostly sleeping. The snack dragon makes an appearance every once in awhile and I'm working on that. 

I made it to the gym for the first time in months to swim. Got in 2300m. I saw the empty pool and my heart squealed with delight. So I just took off. :) and hit the hot tub afterward. 

That was about the time the storm started here. Luckily I got a snow day and I made instant pot chicken pho. So the fridge is well stocked for meals between chocolate chili, Thai curry Meatballs, pho, madras chicken salad, and turkey curry bites with ginger Apricot sauce. Plus some leftovers for the freezer. 

I'm feeling pretty good and feel like I've hit cruise control. Every once in awhile, my head says oh, you can have that. But no, I really can't. 

Food dream last night.... Valentines day candy but disguised as chocolate covered fruit. So oh... The fruit is ok. But the chocolate! 

Y'all sound like you're doing great! 

Hello Ladies!
@NoMoreCrunchyCravings how much snow did you get? We got about 5" but it was so heavy and wet and icy. It was a mess of a day.

I made that chicken in a bundt pan yesterday and it was very good and the easiest, by far!  Sam is not a chicken fan, and he really liked it, too!

I could not bring myself to cook tonight so we had breakfast for supper. I love that!

@mizrik - I don't know why it's not highlighting - "I may have slipped!" My husband always laughs when I say, "I may have bought a new pair of shoes today..." He say you MAY have???? You don't know??? He gets a big kick out of it - it made my laugh.

@jessica ng and @irongirltrixie - you're cooking is motivating me! I head to Virginia on Sunday - I hate the food prep for the those car rides. But Lord knows I'll have have my nutpod supply with me!!  :D:D:D

Rick (hubs) is supposed to be on the wagon with me this month, but I know he's not. I'm not sure what I'm facing next week on the food front!

Here's news - that beautiful Virginia lake house that we bought 50 weeks ago? We put it on the market this week. I'm a little sad, but only because it just did not turn out to be what we wanted it to be.  We're an hour away from Rick's kids, and I believe I have elaborated on my internet and phone issues ad nauseous.  It could take weeks to sell, but hopefully not. We'll move back to town where the kids and our office are located.

Here's a hypothetical question that almost came up this week, but luckily I avoided because of the snow:  I was supposed to go to meet the parents of our new employee so they could become client's of ours. I made the meeting for early afternoon, strategically avoiding the lunch hour. The parents insisted on making lunch for me. I was very nervous that it would be bread/pasta. I don't like to make a big deal about food at someone's house, but I also haven't had bread or pasta or sugar since our November 21 Whole30. Dilemma. What would you do?

Archived