kaelee

Pre & Post Workout Meals for Vegetarians? Help!

Hi there, I am new to Whole30 (1 week in) and I am just now taking on to the pre & post workout meals. Sometimes though the meals end up serving as my lunch because I eat late sometimes and am not hungry. 

First question: What are some examples of good pre & post workout meals? Protein + fat for pre-workout and protein + carb for post-workout, right? I've done a scrambled egg + guacamole for pre and sweet potato + mushroom for post. Could ya'll give me some more suggestions, I'm lacking in creativity/don't know too much about nutrition?

Second question; Just HOW important is it to incorporate these mini meals? (i.e. how bad is it that they ended up being my lunch yesterday...yes I was hungry after dinner and had an almond butter, almond milk, coconut shred, chia seed concoction that I'm not sure constitutes as cheating or not....)

I'm 24 y/o female with no weight problems, just trying to lose the last 10. I workout 2-4 times a week at a hardcore Pilates-esque studio.

Are you doing just eggs for protein? (no fish? no legumes or dairy or other alternatives discussed as veg*n options in this article?)  Egg white + sweet potato would be a better post-WO than the mushrooms, they just don't have as much protein.

Pre-WO is really important for people working out first thing in the morning, to get something in your system after fasting all night. An egg and some guac is a good option, or whatever fat choice sounds good right before a workout for you. If you're not working out first thing, and you're not feeling hungry or like you need to eat something to be able to get through your workout, you may not need the pre-WO.

Post-WO is protein & optionally some starchy vegetable. You want to have it shortly after your workout when your muscles are most receptive. This article explains more about what to have post-WO and why, but I don't think she really had any vegetarian options other than the egg white -- it's still a good summary of why you're eating what you're eating. This one is more important, really work on getting at least a little bit of protein in within a short time after your workout. A lot of people work out, have their post-WO in the car in the parking lot before they drive home, and then eat their meal a little bit later. You really don't need a lot of food for post-WO, so it shouldn't affect how much you eat for your next meal, even if you're eating pretty soon after.

I would strongly encourage you to skip the chia seed concoction you've described. If you're hungry shortly after a meal, your meal wasn't big enough. When you're eating enough, you should easily go 4-5 hours between meals. Even if you're not eating meat, you'll do best if you follow the meal template -- 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (or the other equivalent sizes listed in the template) and then fill the plate with vegetables. So, on a typical large dinner plate, you'll have maybe a fourth to a third of the plate with some protein, fill up the rest of the plate with vegetables, and then add a serving or two of fat. 

30 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Are you doing just eggs for protein? (no fish? no legumes or dairy or other alternatives discussed as veg*n options in this article?)  Egg white + sweet potato would be a better post-WO than the mushrooms, they just don't have as much protein.

Pre-WO is really important for people working out first thing in the morning, to get something in your system after fasting all night. An egg and some guac is a good option, or whatever fat choice sounds good right before a workout for you. If you're not working out first thing, and you're not feeling hungry or like you need to eat something to be able to get through your workout, you may not need the pre-WO.

Post-WO is protein & optionally some starchy vegetable. You want to have it shortly after your workout when your muscles are most receptive. This article explains more about what to have post-WO and why, but I don't think she really had any vegetarian options other than the egg white -- it's still a good summary of why you're eating what you're eating. This one is more important, really work on getting at least a little bit of protein in within a short time after your workout. A lot of people work out, have their post-WO in the car in the parking lot before they drive home, and then eat their meal a little bit later. You really don't need a lot of food for post-WO, so it shouldn't affect how much you eat for your next meal, even if you're eating pretty soon after.

I would strongly encourage you to skip the chia seed concoction you've described. If you're hungry shortly after a meal, your meal wasn't big enough. When you're eating enough, you should easily go 4-5 hours between meals. Even if you're not eating meat, you'll do best if you follow the meal template -- 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (or the other equivalent sizes listed in the template) and then fill the plate with vegetables. So, on a typical large dinner plate, you'll have maybe a fourth to a third of the plate with some protein, fill up the rest of the plate with vegetables, and then add a serving or two of fat. 

Mostly eggs, I eat fish when I go out to restaurants to make it easier on me (but I don't really enjoy it). No, I'm not eating legumes or other soy products because I want to do the whole30 as best I can. Not into the soy products as the risks outweigh the benefits BUT I do love beans and such so I suppose I could incorporate that? I'm eating lots and lots of eggs (I went through a 12 egg carton in 3 days) and lots and lots of veggies. I think the point is that I'm eating super clean and I will definitely start to do those post workout meals. Is 1 scrambled egg sufficient? Does it have to be just egg whites?

@kaelee One is probably enough, you just need a few bites. I suggested the whites because the post-WO isn't supposed to have fat, and the fat in an egg is in the yolk, but I don't know how much difference it would really make. If it's easier to do the whole egg, try that, but if you feel like you're not recovering from workouts well later, you might look at it again. 

You don't have to eat beans or other protein sources, we've had people do a Whole30 with just eggs as their protein, so it can be done, but yes, you're going to go through a ton of eggs. I just asked because if you were doing other things, that could give you other options. But you will get the best results as far as the elimination aspect if you can do it without adding beans or other things that wouldn't normally be compliant. Then you can do reintroductions and figure out how beans affect you personally so you know going forward whether or how often you want to have them in the future.

3 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

@kaelee One is probably enough, you just need a few bites. I suggested the whites because the post-WO isn't supposed to have fat, and the fat in an egg is in the yolk, but I don't know how much difference it would really make. If it's easier to do the whole egg, try that, but if you feel like you're not recovering from workouts well later, you might look at it again. 

You don't have to eat beans or other protein sources, we've had people do a Whole30 with just eggs as their protein, so it can be done, but yes, you're going to go through a ton of eggs. I just asked because if you were doing other things, that could give you other options. But you will get the best results as far as the elimination aspect if you can do it without adding beans or other things that wouldn't normally be compliant. Then you can do reintroductions and figure out how beans affect you personally so you know going forward whether or how often you want to have them in the future.

Absolutely. Thank you so much for the advice. And regarding my first post, it really isn't uncommon for me to CRAVE something sweet (mostly dark chocolate) after a BIG meal...there's ALWAYS room for chocolate in my mind, but my belly often feels awful and way too full. So a big part of doing this Whole30 is the reprogramming aspect to NOT crave chocolate IMMEDIATELY after I eat. My friends joke that I like to chase my meals with chocolate :/ haha