evilbanks

5 hour energy

Day 18 and looking for a caffeine fix. I don't drink coffee and need to know if this would be an OK substitute during a Whole 30 cycle. Ingredients are as follows:

Taurine

Caffeine

Purified water

Sucralose-------------------I'm guessing this will count this product out?

Potassium Sorbate

Sodium Benzoate

EDTA

Talk to me experts, what's your take?

Someone in another post was saying she drinks this

http://www.criobru.com/crio-bru/

I can't get it here in the UK but it does sound awesome. I don't think it's actually got caffeine but I think it would still give you a lift from the cacao. also what about tea, green or black both have caffeine

Me, I'll stick with my black coffee (am only :) )

My interpretation is that one of the main points of undertaking W30 is that you clear your body of the stuff that makes you need the "fix".... now don't get me wrong, I like my coffee in the morning, so I understand the desire for caffeine. But understand that the more you drink it (especially at times other than the morning) you increase the likelihood of sleep disturbances, and reduce the opportunity for your hormones to self-regulate (and of course your hormonal balance or lack thereof is what is making you tired...)

When I get tired at my desk in the afternoon (which doesn't happen as frequently nor severely these days) I've been drinking a cup of herbal tea, where in the past I would've hit the coffee again then twitched myself to an unrestful sleep come bedtime. I don't even think there's much, if any, caffiene in it, but something about hot liquid wakes me up.

By the by... EDTA = Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid

Wikipedia makes it sound scary.

In soft drinks containing ascorbic acid and sodium benzoate, EDTA mitigates formation of benzene (a carcinogen).[10]

Scary indeed! It makes sodium benzoate a lot more scary, too......

BTW...once you have gotten into the Whole 30...5 hour energy is NOT necessary! I seldom get tired in the afternoon, but DAMN am I ready for bed at night. Thank you, cortisol, for working properly!

I remember using EDTA in my college environmental engineering lab. We used it in determining water hardness. It never occured to me that one might drink it voluntarily. Now I've been known to slug a 5HE here and there (before I was Whole-englightened), but pretty sure that knowing what's in it I will never drink it again.

EDTA is in the class of chemical called a " chelating agent"

(Summation from Wikipidia)

Chelants, according to ASTM-A-380, are "chemicals that form soluble, complex molecules with certain metal ions, inactivating the ions so that they cannot normally react with other elements or ions to produce precipitates or scale."

In the 1960s, scientists developed the concept of chelating a metal ion prior to feeding the element to the animal. They believed that this would create a neutral compound, protecting the mineral from being complexed with insoluble salts within the stomach, which would render the metal unavailable for absorption. Amino acids, being effective metal binders, were chosen as the prospective ligands, and research was conducted on the metal-amino acid combinations. The research supported that the metal-amino acid chelates were able to enhance mineral absorption.

During this period, synthetic chelates were also being developed. An example of such synthetics is ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA). These synthetics applied the same concept of chelation and did create chelated compounds; however, these synthetics were too stable and not nutritionally viable. If the mineral was taken from the EDTA ligand, the ligand could not be used by the body and would be expelled. During the expulsion process the EDTA ligand will randomly chelate and strip another mineral from the body.

According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), a metal amino acid chelate is defined as the product resulting from the reaction of a metal ion from a soluble metal salt with a mole ratio of one to three (preferably two) moles of amino acids. The average weight of the hydrolyzed amino acids must be approximately 150 and the resulting molecular weight of the chelate must not exceed 800 Da.

I learned about this garbage when I was majoring in biochemistry .....

Fun fun fun!!!!!!

I'm on day 1 and I'm pretty sure I am addicted to 5 hour energy. I had a rude awakening when I went to run some errands on my lunch break today and ended up falling asleep while listening to a podcast in a parking lot in between stops. After 3.5 years working at a Starbucks in my early college days, coffee doesn't do it for me anymore. I know the Whole30 is supposed to help me derive energy from better sources and a more optimally running body, but for now, I need to not fall asleep in the middle of my work day. I usually start off my day with a 5-hour and have another mid-afternoon. What can I do instead so that I'm not passing out on the job, or worse, while I'm on the road?

I'm on day 1 and I'm pretty sure I am addicted to 5 hour energy. I had a rude awakening when I went to run some errands on my lunch break today and ended up falling asleep while listening to a podcast in a parking lot in between stops. After 3.5 years working at a Starbucks in my early college days, coffee doesn't do it for me anymore. I know the Whole30 is supposed to help me derive energy from better sources and a more optimally running body, but for now, I need to not fall asleep in the middle of my work day. I usually start off my day with a 5-hour and have another mid-afternoon. What can I do instead so that I'm not passing out on the job, or worse, while I'm on the road?

Rest and sleep and time. Without stimulants (not just 5-hour and caffeine, but also added sugar) to keep you artificially high, your body is starting to feel the real fatigue these things have kept from you all these years. And the only real cure is to give yourself what you really need: the time to recuperate.

Short term: try coffee again, or tea. Or (and this is sort of contradictory), catnaps. Better to deliberately close your eyes for 15 minutes in your car or on your desk than let your tiredness catch up with you and force a timeout on you.

As you said, your energy will rebound (and then some!) in no time at all.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Bummer!  I am a 5 hour energy addict, and giving this up will be a struggle.  Not to mention the $$$ I'll be out if I don't finish up what I have.  Very difficult!!!

I've been drinking a tea was the following ingredients, and it's amazing how much energy it gives me!!

Yerba mate, green tea, ginger, peppermint, liquorice root, natural flavouring, guarana, goji berries