Vegetarian/Vegan Whole30-ish Log

RabbitFood

I'm only on day 5 and I resonate with all of this. The first three days were 10/10 but yesterday and today all I can think about is quitting so I can have snacks and chocolate. I keep trying to convince myself and others to let me give up. It's frustrating because it's all mental. Physically I feel great but mentally I'm weak. I'm actually on here reading to get motivation

• Moderators

I wonder if you might need to have more protein? I'm not really an expert on vegetarian sources of protein, but for instance, a quick google shows 1 cup of lentils has 18 g of protein. For comparison, a chicken drumstick has 23 g, and most people would eat 2-3 of those. (I just googled protein in chicken or protein in lentils for those numbers.) What you're thinking of as a craving for something sweet, might really be your body saying it still needs something. Maybe try upping your portion sizes a little bit for a day or two and see if it helps your cravings? Or if you're absolutely certain you're not hungry and it's just habit on the dessert thing, maybe try having a couple of olives or just a couple of salted almonds to finish the meal, or fix yourself a cup of tea of some sort, or even just go brush your teeth. Something that tells your brain, this meal is over, I don't need something sweet. 

On 3/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, Mackgeb said:

I'm only on day 5 and I resonate with all of this. The first three days were 10/10 but yesterday and today all I can think about is quitting so I can have snacks and chocolate. I keep trying to convince myself and others to let me give up. It's frustrating because it's all mental. Physically I feel great but mentally I'm weak. I'm actually on here reading to get motivation

You got this!  I've wanted to quit every day.  Days 6 and 7 were the hardest.  The frequency of the thought quitting is getting less but it's still there.

For motivation, why did you start the reset?  What are your goals?  Also, it feels like forever but it's only 30 days?

Are you on Day 8 now?

On 3/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, ShannonM816 said:

I wonder if you might need to have more protein? I'm not really an expert on vegetarian sources of protein, but for instance, a quick google shows 1 cup of lentils has 18 g of protein. For comparison, a chicken drumstick has 23 g, and most people would eat 2-3 of those. (I just googled protein in chicken or protein in lentils for those numbers.) What you're thinking of as a craving for something sweet, might really be your body saying it still needs something. Maybe try upping your portion sizes a little bit for a day or two and see if it helps your cravings? Or if you're absolutely certain you're not hungry and it's just habit on the dessert thing, maybe try having a couple of olives or just a couple of salted almonds to finish the meal, or fix yourself a cup of tea of some sort, or even just go brush your teeth. Something that tells your brain, this meal is over, I don't need something sweet. 

Sooooo . . . I read your post.  Didn't want to recognize it but also googled.  You are so right!  I'm still in this and am working on getting more protein.  Thank you, thank you for pointing the protein out!  

Perhaps a silly question:  Can I form a habit of drinking tea?  Especially in the first week i was leaning on tea once or twice a day.  When I would normally eat something sweet I took the time to make tea.  But then I started wondering, am I creating a new addiction?  Or is it okay because it's just water and the ritual aspect slows me down?  Something to ponder out of curiosity, not meant to be combative . . . 

Today is Day 17.  IMO we should revise the timeline.  That huge section Days 16 to 20-something is missing some milestones (obvi, everyone is different)

Here's my first revision.  Day 17.  Bloating.  And still want chocolate.  Not the craving, 2-year-old-tantrum-mood-altering-chocolate want.  Just the I'm-calm-and-hydrated-and-at-work-and-would-like-some-chocolate want.  

Just had potatoes, lentils, chickpeas, sauteed kale and chard, and a pear (pear is just produce filler #timeforgroceryrun).  Feeling like some sugary snacks, not a strong feeling, more like a whisper.  My face is flushing and that's not cool.  I thought cutting out sugar would eliminate my redness.  On the plus side, that means after 30 days I'll likely start eating chocolate again!  I can't wait!

Today is Day 20.  I thought about making yesterday my last day.  And this morning when I couldn't sleep I questioned whether this was hurting or helping my work, convincing myself that it was probably not helping and arguing that all my colleagues eat candy all day, too.  Then, as my husband and I were making the bed this morning he complemented my complexion . . . sign . . . I have to consider that maybe all the sugar I used to eat was hurting my face.

I still want chocolate but I might stick with the 30 days and see how I feel about it then.  

Here are my second and third revisions.  

Day 19.  Denial. I thought about it all afternoon, and especially around and after dinner time.  This isn't doing anything for me.  My skin is not perfect.  I still miss chocolate.  I'm expecting a stressful week at work and chocolate and candy will help me get things done.  Hence the denial.  Denying that avoiding candy is getting me closer to my goal of clear, radiant skin because . . .

Day 20.  See above.  Husband notice complexion looked better.  He wasn't provoked into a complement, he said it all on his own.  So, Day 20 is acceptance.  Not necessarily the stage of fully admitting that this is working or will work.  Just acceptance of the possibility. 

I want food.  Yesterday, I noticed this want after a tough conversation at work.  I've noticed this before.  This morning I thought, "What if the feeling is not food related?  What if the feeling is excitement?"  I'd like to change my perspective of that feeling in my gut from "give me sugar" to "I'm excited to resolve the issue" or "I'm excited to tackle the challenge."  

Day 21

Meal 3. 1 cup split peas, 2 tbsp garlic spread (from Spain! so good!), veggies in coconut milk (1 cup cooked kale, 1 cup cooked carrots)

Felt meh on Day 21.  Thought about chocolate a couple of times but didn't have strong feelings to quit.

Day 22

Meal 1. 1 cup split peas, 1 tbsp olive oil, 3 cups apple (it was a huge apple from my produce delivery box).

So full!  I want chocolate this morning.  I miss the comfort it provided . . . 

Meal 2. 1 cup chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 cups roasted cauliflower, 1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes/butternut squash.

Day 22

PreWO.  A couple of bites of split peas.  Wasn't really hungry.

Meal 3. 1 cup split peas, 1/2 cup roasted cauliflower, 2 cups carrots in coconut milk, 1 tbsp cashew butter 

I was so full after eating two portions of protein for all three meals.  

Day 23

Woohoo! Day 23!  I almost quit yesterday.  I really wanted to eat chocolate.  Not because I was craving it.  I think it was the extinction burst they talk about.  So I went and purchased La Croix for the first time.  I had one of those and a glass of Crystal Geyser.  I didn't feed the sugar dragon with sugar but the sparkling water, especially the flavored La Croix, felt like cheating.  

Meal 1. 2 cups carrots, 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato/butternut squash

Meal 2. 3/4 cup split peas, 1 cup kale, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup roasted sweet potato/butternut squash

• 10 months later...

Super happy I did this food log because:

• I didn't realize I made it so far to the 30 day mark.  I can do this!
  • Although I remembered my husband noticing a better complexion, is a good reminder.

Day 1. So, I'm taking this path along my health journey again.  After reading several resources on cutting processed sugar, I'm going to use a mantra to help me through those times that I really just want to stuff my face with chocolate.  Mantra: "Water, walks, and Journaling."

Not using food to deal with (or ignore) emotions can be an emotional experience...because you have to deal with the emotions now.  Several resources suggested drinking plenty of water, talking walks, and journaling your way through these bits of the journey.   Thus, "water, walks, and Journaling."

My whys:

• Eating my feelings by eating chocolate throughout the day = skin breakouts/blemishes/redness
  • Eating all day = pain and bloating
  • Eating all day = maybe throwing my sleep off
  • Eating my feelings = not learning to cope and grow stronger from stress, anxiety, and challenges

Meal 1: raw carrots, heaps of almond butter, spirulina balls (with almonds)

Meal 2: kale, ginger turmeric dressing, chickpeas, zucchini, walnuts

Meal 3: coconuts lentils with celery, shallots, and arugula

Between Meal 2 and 3, I had a preWO snack of 1/2 protein bar and a small apple (and guilty of eating a cup of popcorn, corn is not allowed on the whole30).

My stomach was bloated and my mid/left back hurt so much last night.  Perhaps my "digestion" is starting to correct itself?

Day 2. 

Today?  I don't even drink Starbuck's but a creamy, sweet something sounds good right now.  I'm struggling not to walk next door and buy a Starbuck's drink.  I recognize that my supposed "urge to snack" or "hunger" or "need for a break" is me procrastinating when I get stuck.  I really really really like to know what I am doing.  And with a new job I don't.  Cue the snacking ('cause I know how to snack!). 

Meal 1.  Zucchini, spinach, walnuts, almond butter.... maybe this modest meal is why I want to eat more?  No, just not engaged in my work.  Hoping my concentration will improve with eating proper whole foods.

Meal 2. Arugula, leftover dinner (coconut lentils with celery, shallots, and arugula)

Meal 3. TBD ... probably not a good idea to be TBD

Archived