Frugal meat cuts

Alana in Canada

I think a price book is SO smart. I'm going to do that. I try to do it from memory and I'm sure I'm off quite a bit. I go to 3 or 4 favorite stores and I would love to know how much cheaper one is over the other.

I tried to do something like that when I first did a Whole 30 and it was helpful at first, but it took a bit of effort to do. I was standing at the butcher counter writing down meats and prices at WF for like 15 minutes lol. The butcher probably though I'd gone mad. :D

I just recently decided that the meats we eat most often must be of the highest quality, so grass fed ground beef and pastured eggs from the farmer. We eat chicken for our lunches, and generally get the breasts. Since these aren't fatty, we stick to organic from BJs. It is just the best combination of economical + clean. I had been getting some natural beef at BJs (It's 11.99 for 3 lbs so a steal) and it just doesn't compare to the local grass fed beef.

Every time I eat the local beef I swoon. :wub: When we were visiting the BFs family last month we ate standard eggs and they had absolutely no flavor. It was a serious let down. I just can't imagine eating standard eggs again. Plus, you just can't compete with the "Thanks, Laura! Have a great week!" that I get from the farmers when I pick my food up. Talk about warm and fuzzy.

Yes, and my 4 different stores carry some of the same things so it will be fun to compare. New Seasons carries the most local local stuff. WF is next. Zupans is also a family owned local only store like New Seasons, but they only carry Harris Ranch beef (not all that impressed) and their chicken is from California as well. No idea why they do that, but they do have the best prices on Kombucha and also it's 2 blocks from my house (as opposed to 1/2 mile for New Seasons and WF..I know..poor me :) ). It will be fun to make the comparisons official. I usually only buy the grass fed beef when it's on sale, so I won't need to stand in front of the butchers very long because I have all of their fliers delivered to my email. I am more curious about organic eggs from pastured chickens. I found my local ones at Zupans and I could swear they are $1 less than at New Seasons. It's going to go in my price book when I find out for sure. :)

OOOO...I may use a spreadsheet with different colors for every store. Geeky fun! :)

Archived