Dry mouth, throat, and eyeballs!

I'm on day 25 of my second Whole30.  I'm feeling really good overall!  But I have the driest mouth, throat, and eyes.  I drink about a gallon of water every day.  I limit water consumption for the last 3-4 hours before bed because I'm really trying to get my best sleep.  I'm including 1+ fist sized serving of starchy veggies every day, usually sweet potatoes or other root veggies.  I have the majority of that serving at dinner to encourage better sleep.  I am using iodized table salt occasionally and Kosher salt generously with every meal.  I have one cup of coffee with a heaping tablespoon of coconut milk every day before noon.  I'm cooking in mostly generous amounts of coconut oil, and drizzling olive oil often.   I am pretty active: circuit training 3x/ week, 45 minute fast-paced walks 4-5 times a week, yoga 1x/week, and I work on my feet.  On circuit days i include a post workout meal of lean chicken breast or turkey, and a bit of sweet potato on days when I go really hard.  Occasionally I will have a pre workout meal of a bit of protein and fat if I haven't eaten in a few hours. 

To combat this dry feeling I have been running the humidifier when I'm at home.  I have also been wearing Breathe Right strips on my nose at bedtime to prevent mouth breathing.  I need lip balm more than normal and I put in thick nighttime eye drops before bed...only to wake up needing to use more in the middle of the night. 

Sample meals:

Day 1:

Breakfast- 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil with 1/2 an avocado, 2 cups greens drizzled with olive oil and balsamic, 1/2 cup sauteed bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions.  Fresh sliced tomato.  1/2 a large banana

Lunch- 3/4 Cup homemade tuna salad chock full of onion, bell pepper, hard boiled eggs, and homemade mayo served on 2 cups of greens topped with 1/4 avocado and tomato.  Crumbled walnuts on top.

Dinner- Sloppy Joes (1.5 cups) with roasted butternut squash(1.5 cups) , recipe from the Whole30 cookbook.  Large side salad with mushrooms, olive oil, tomatoes. 

After dinner- Herbal tea.

Day 2:

Breakfast- Very similar to day one.  Usually swap out the banana for apple with almond butter occasionally. 

Lunch- Huge garden salad with mixed greens, cucumbers, tomato, mushrooms, onion, carrots, 1/2 an avocado, pan seared organic chicken thighs.  Topped with homemade creamy balsamic dressing (with homemade mayo.) 

Dinner-

Homemade chunky soup.  Organic 80/20 ground beef, onions, peppers, sweet potatoes, garlic, spinach.  Poached an egg in the soup and topped with 1/4 avocado and a dollop of mayo.  2 cups sauteed mixed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. 

After dinner- Herbal tea.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!  I'm having trouble finding threads that are helpful.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Combating Insane Cotton Mouth

• Administrators

I see nothing here that would indicate why you are experiencing this. My normal suggestions would be "starchy veggies, salt your food, drink water" but you seem to be doing all of those.

How long has this been going on?

Is coconut oil something you used to use? I know coconut products can be extremely drying to some people's skin (sends signal that the body has a dearth of oil so sebum production decreases) so maybe you're experiencing that on a more internal level?

Did you start taking any new medications lately? Lots of meds have severe dryness as a side effect. Been sick lately? Coming down with something?

It started happening within the first few days on my Whole30.  I also remember it happening during my last one as well.  I did use coconut oil before, but not quite as much as I am now.  No new meds, no illnesses.  Thanks for responding ;)

When I cut sugar, I tend to get a dry mouth and throat.  No amount of water seems to make it go away.  But . . .

I tried club soda and it really takes the edge off.  Just plain club soda.  The bubbles helped take away that  dry mouth and throat feeling. 

• 9 months later...

Hi Jjmazza, Did you figure out if the coconut oil was the culprit? I am having the same problem I think (started with my tongue feeling like it had been scalded on day 4 or 5, now on day 7 and my whole mouth feels raw and looks irritated, feels dry, etc.). Besides eliminating all the things I wondered if it was all the coconut oil I'm eating, which I never used to eat (and which I love!). Other than this mouth problem I am happy with Whole30 - already feeling more stable energy (until I crash in the afternoon but I'm only on day 7). So I will stick to it but if I can have my normal mouth back I will be so happy! Other things I'm eating way more of than normal are nuts and sweet potatoes... I haven't trackec my food intake exactly but I haven't eaten off plan yet and I'm eating meals from the Real Plans website only (with some emergency nut-eating binges which I will stop doing now that I'm feeling less of the hangover).  

Thanks for any insights and I hope you are feeling better!

Hello!

I did cut back on cooking almost everything in coco oil. I subbed in evoo when I sautéed and reduced my nut consumption a bit. It seemed to help a little. And I took another whole30-er’s advice and started sipping on soda water. That helped a little as well but I usually try to avoid too many bubbles for the sake of my gastrointestinal tract! As far as the midday slump, how has your sleep been? Mine is usually  horrible for the first 3 weeks of my whole30. I made the switch to consuming my starchy veggies at dinner. This helped to me to sleep through the night and as a result I felt much better the next day. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help with the dry mouth situation. Even now I struggle with dry eyes and mouth and I drink copious amounts of water and live in a humid place. I do know that dairy makes our mucous membranes over active. So in the absence of them, we are left dry. 

Lemme know how reducing coco oil and nut intake goes!

Jessica

Hi Jessica, thanks for getting back to me! 

This is all so mysterious, isn't it! It sounds like I should try dropping the coconut oil so I will do that (after I've eaten the massive amount of food I've prepped with it already...). 

So far it looks like my sleep is improved, which I am super grateful for (an issue for me). I did wake at 3 am the night before last which is my long-time issue so I will try the starchy veggies before dinner, thanks for the suggestion.  And my energy didn't slump yesterday! I made it through the whole day without needing to snack which is HUGE for me. 

When you say even now you struggle with dry eyes and mouth, are you still on Whole30 or have you transitioned out already? Really sorry that is going on still, it's not awesome.  

Archived