A Fishy Whole30

Darian

So, my whole30 will be a bit different, I guess.

I'm going to be doing my whole30 with seafood as my sole source of protein. I'm hoping that after 30 days, I will be able to handle other protein sources (I would kill to be able to eat eggs! Or better yet, LAMB! In balsamic reduction sauce! Oh yes.....) but for years now, they've left me crying in the fetal position with stomach pain. It's a big change because normally I just chow down on vegan meat subsitutes (I live for Gardein! It tastes so REAL!) but I know that they aren't good for me. Also they are very expensive - I have spent upwards of 40$ in a week just on that. Where I live, I can get a week's worth of of fish for around $10 with a good variety. For example, one day of salmon, cod, or tilapia costs me $1. Swordfish or Tuna is $2 a steak, and fresh shrimp is only $6 per pound. I've got a good stock on hand ready to be cooked, I just need to get over my laziness and do it!

Also, I will be having green smoothies for breakfast for the first week or so. I have a freezer filled with pre-portioned bags (my breakfast prep is fierce since New Year's) that I would like to use up before switching to an unblended breakfast. Mine aren't especially fruit centric - 1.5 cups of fruit, 2 packed cups of greens and 1/2 cucumber. My only "good" habit in life!

I'm "officially" starting tomorrow, but for tonight's dinner I made grilled tilapia with roasted carrots and green beans, which were amazing! I cook for my parents as well, and we all thought this simple meal tasted waaaaaay better than last week's disastrous sweet-and-sour tuna steak with Indian style rice.

Seriously, I should get slapped for that one. It was majorly disgusting. Mom and I fed ours to the dogs, and I felt bad that my dad forced himself to eat it.

I'm hoping that by not eating mostly junkfood (my diet is primarily fake meat, chips, and chocolate soy milk with Hershey syrup) that my skin will clear up and that, perhaps my headaches will lessen. I'm hoping that I'll be able to tolerate other protein sources, because I really miss Easter lamb and Christmas hog. I'm hoping that my Mom will follow my example and not eat a bag of Hershey Kisses and a bag of donuts for "lunch", though I won't hold my breath on that one. I'm hoping that I will continue to be amazed at how easy it is to cook/eat a whole30 meal. I hope to see improvement in my bloodwork. Lastly, I hope that I might lose a few pounds, though I don't plan on counting calories or excessively restricting my food. 

I also hope that I can remember to eat lunch!

*note* 

This dinner is kind of small because I underestimated how much to make - but it was very filling nonetheless!

20170303_182257.jpg

I cooked salmon tonight. I was a bit apprehensive, as I've never liked salmon but decided to try it again.

Now, I've never cooked salmon before. Or anything, really, before I started trying whole30 meals. We are a box dinner/takeout family.

I cooked it on the countertop grill with a little bit of garlic, paprika, pepper and salt.

It was probably one of the most delicious things I've EVER eaten. I almost couldn't stop myself from eating 10$ worth of salmon in one go. And then my dad walked in, and he was like "MAN HUNGRY. NEED FISH!" so needless to say, it's all gone. 

I don't even know how to describe the experience of tasting GOOD salmon for the first time. It happened in slow motion.

I also have learned that, no, I don't hate carrots, and no, I don't hate green beans, and no, I don't hate brussel sprouts, but I actually really like them - I made a batch of all the above for the week and between me and my parents, there is only enough left for tomorrow.

How did I not know food could taste like this!?!? What have I been missing all my life!?!?

Why haven't I learned to cook before this!?!?

Well, almost made it today. I sat down to do my school work, and my mom was sitting next to me paying the bills. I didn't even think about it - I just reached over and started drinking her coke! And then I stopped for a second and thought, "Huh. This don't taste right" and I looked down and... COKE. I know I have to start over, but I'm proud in a way because instead of saying "Well, might as well go binge!" I stuck to whole30 for dinner.

However I will not be disheartened - my whole30 is reset, but it could be worse. I could be on day 15... or 20... or even worse... day 29. Praise God for small miracles?

Side note: I am totally making that egg bake tomorrow. I shall have a world of breakfast possibilities, especially with my roast veggies (I have forayed into the realm of tomatoes)!

Made the egg bake.

Was sorely disappointed.

It wasn't BAD, I just didn't like it.

And neither did anyone else.

However, the dogs now have delicious, homemade treats (aka leftovers)!

I don't know. It really feels like I can do this. This morning I didn't hesitate to grab some salmon (you know I had to get more :P) and leftover veggies (plus an orange) for breakfast. Even though it was early in the morning I didn't have any stomach pain! And then I threw together a salad with spinach, tomatoes, and leftover seasoned tilapia and it was the first time I've ever eaten a salad because I LIKED it! And this sounds really weird, but I've never put meat on a salad before so I never knew the awesomeness that was meat in salad! 

MAGICAL.

The egg bake thing kind of ruined my appetite for dinner though. Not even my Dad could force it down. It was worse than the tuna episode.

The dogs were super into it.

Also, I have discovered that I dislike meal prep for my stuff. It tastes the best freshly made, you know? So I resolve to just make everything fresh! 

Also, I picked up some ghee. I have always had a rocky relationship with butter - eating foods with food made with butter made me sick, and the smell of butter is just gross. But the ghee doesn't smell like butter. I imagine, it wouldn't make me sick either if I use it sparingly. I don't really know what I'll use it for, maybe some deliciously lemony garlicy shrimp?

Alright party people! I've been eating mostly whole30 the past few days, but I am once again prepared to go ALL THE WAY! In my fridge/freezer I currently have - Salmon! Tilapia! Tuna steaks! Mahi Mahi! Cod! Trout! Shrimp! Scallops!

But wait, there's more! I also grabbed some... AIDELL'S CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE! Turkey burgers! Bison steaks!

BOW BEFORE MY AMAZING MEAT SELECTION. Almost all on sale, no less! I tried a turkey burger for dinner tonight and I was NOT struck with intense tummy pain!

Not previously mentioned: various leafy greens, green beans, carrots, brussel sprouts, and tomatoes! And oranges!

BRING IT ON!!!

7 hours ago, Darian said:

But wait, there's more! I also grabbed some... AIDELL'S CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE! Turkey burgers! Bison steaks!

BOW BEFORE MY AMAZING MEAT SELECTION.

:lol: Lolol. Aidell's is the best! Sounds like you're definitely prepared, best of luck!

So, I started today with an Aidell's sausage (which is SOOOO good) and an egg. I felt really satisfied so I saved my breakfast fruit for lunch.

For lunch, I had leafy greens with shrimp and Tessemae's balsamic dressing, along with my two clementine.

I felt SO hungry when I got home, and I was afraid I would cave and go off-plan, so I had another egg and sausage and I feel so much better. I think that I need a bigger lunch. 

The predestined dinner tonight is rainbow trout brushed with melted ghee and garlic on the grill, with roasted carrots and green beans. I've been waiting TWO DAYS for this trout. 

*insert frustrated gurgles*

AND I WANT IT NOW. 

But I have to wait for the Dad to get home >_>

Because sharing is caring. 

And also he pays most of my stuff, so... yeah.

This morning was the worst morning ever. And I puked everywhere. And I just found more puke that I had missed when I cleaned it up.

But after I went back to bed (until noonish) I felt much better. For lunch I had a turkey burger and a clementine, which is really pathetic compared to my salad. 

For dinner I had pork belly (I saw it and I just... couldn't not eat it) with baked sweet potato. It was SO SO SO good, but I'm thinking it might be a SWYPO food for me, even though I've never had it before. It was... melt in your mouth delicious. I've never enjoyed my food so much since I started cooking whole30 stuff. However I couldn't finish it, so I'm saving the rest for the morning.

Then, my parents made pot pie (I LOVE the bread top!!!) and my mom asked me to get her cinnamon donuts from the pantry... I HATE cake donuts with a passion but I seriously considered at least licking it. I walked past the pot pie and I stood there, scrapping a little of it off, and rubbing it between my fingers thinking "Just a little taste..."

I somehow found the power to go wash my hands and sit back down, but all the good food around me was driving me insane. I ended up cutting up an apple, drizzling almond butter on it, and then near-drowning it in cinnamon. I've never actually done this before, just seen it online. It tasted - NO LIE - just like a slice of apple pie. It was WONDERFUL. I almost went and made another but didn't want to encourage the sugar dragon. 

So yeah! Day two in the bag! Woohoo!

Almost halfway through day three! 

Just real quick, you may be wondering why I suddenly have a litany of proteins when they have a history of giving me the tummy terrors.

I realized after trying the famed Aidell's sausage that I didn't have any cramps or nausea.

Then I realized, I've always had meat as part of a very not healthy meal - namely one of the many hamburger helpers, or breaded and deep fried, or any number of ways that could have affected me negatively that wasn't caused by the protein itself. Theory has been proven correct thus far.

So! Yeah! Tonight I'm looking forward to either Bison steak and sweet potato or ground lamb with squash noodles. So excited!

I still have this "something bad is gonna happen, I'm gonna mess up" paranoia but otherwise this isn't too hard as of yet.

Day 3 complete! 1/10 of the way there!

Dinner ended up being bison steak and sweet potato. Lunch was a shrimp/tilapia and spring mix salad (which I could not finish!), and breakfast...

*sniff, hiccup, sniffle, sob*

Breakfast was an egg... and... two clementines...  and... and... and...

MY LAST AIDELL'S SAUSAGE!

At least until I go to the grocery store.

In the meantime I intend to have... seasoned ground lamb! Mmmm, delicious!

I'm hoping that perhaps I might find a wonderful meaty meat which might replace the sausages. Nothing against them, it's just that you can find "raw materials" easier than "ready made products". 

I'm trying to think of ways to add in non starchy veggies that I like, but it's hard because I don't like any of them cooked, but I fill up quickly if they are raw. I am thinking of trying zucchini noodles. Also thinking about making a "tuna salad" kind of thing and putting it on cucumber slices.

Nope. Kill all the things.

Namely my coworkers.

Except Tracy, whom is being really cool.

Woke up late, didn't pack my lunch last night. So I made my an egg for breakfast and an egg for lunch, and put cooked ground lamb with them as I didn't have time to thaw and cook a fish and I was out of sausages. Seeing as how I wasn't thinking straight, I had only one clementine for breakfast and instead of a salad, brought a chopped up cucumber for my lunch. With some Tessemae's of course.

Anyhow, tonight is the night!

I'm going to make... 

Squash noodles with spaghetti sauce! And MORE ground lamb!

Squash noodles were... okay. The flavor was really good, the texture wasn't half bad, but I just didnt enjoy it.

Gave it to my dogs, who surprisingly HATE human food. Strangley they love my whole30 cooking, and they hound us for it. Their food is really good - I feed a mix of Orijen, Acana, and raw diet. Never have they ever begged...  until now.

Anyhow, I happened to have my blood drawn like a week before I started whole30. Just got the result back... horrified. To be fair, it could have been worse.

My total cholesterol is 214, and HDL is less than half of LDL.

A1C finally hit 6.0

It goes up .1 every year so I was kind of expecting it but... just kind of disappointed. I want to do whole30 and then keep on with paleo, and get it redone in 3 months. I've read about people having better bloodwork after only 60 or 30 days.

To be honest right now, it wouldn't bother me to keep eating whole30 for a while. My food is delicious for the most part (looking at you, egg bake!). I enjoy cooking. I get to eat all the foods that I like! 

Day 4 is over. You know the last time I lasted four days on any kind of eating plan, it was a water fast? I only drank water for FOUR days. I locked myself in my room to stay away from the temptation. How things have changed!

Day 5 begins...

With a headache and nausea, although not as bad as day 3. Was able to take medicine and feel much better now. However, was only able to stomach black coffee to take my pills with, and an orange. Tried to eat my normal food but couldn't :(

Today is supposed to be my day off, but work is super busy so I came in. My lunch today is a cucumber with Tessemae's, grilled tilapia and an orange. My breakfast and lunch may seem small but I just ain't that hungry until dinner rolls around. Then I have a delicious dinner (usually sweet potato or roast carrots/green beans and protein) and I'm good. I've been getting hungry right before bed, but last night I wasn't hungry even though I stayed up super late!

Archived